• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Good fucking grief, if you thought the scripted fake 'team chatter' The Division's trailers had was nauseating then don't dare read or listen to any of the collectables. They make Watch_Dogs' Privacy Invasions look high brow.

Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 just because of Tomb Raider?

I'm not even sure my notebook will run it decently (840m, 8GB RAM and i5 4210u).

Purkake4

Banned
iAKUb8j.png

Woop! That took quite a while, but damn proud to have done it all with zero help other than the use of 3 pieces of A4 and a pen!

There is still more to do though!
But did you get your money's worth?

dex3108

This is the dumbest thing.
I'm sure given today's game engines, they would do the same.

Even if we compare TR Underworld with rebooted TR (and people didn't like Underworld) we can see how much game is different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0eTn6kZFX4

In that video you can see how Lara goes through whole level without shooting humans (i think there are no humans in that level but i could be wrong i played that game long time ago) and most animals you can avoid to shoot. Whole level is platforming and puzzles.

I'm looking at the bunch of roguelike-lite-whatever games in my wishlist and getting the fear :p

My compulsion to complete games is directly at odds with playing so many roguelikes that have tickled my fancy ;_;
Maybe one genre, I need to accept I can't always beat - think I've only ever beaten 2 actually.

On that note, saw Hand of Fate, is that considered to be a roguelike-lite-whatever?

given how no one can agree on what a roguelike is nowadays I'm sticking with my term :p

Hands of Fate's a roguelikelite, yeah. Randomised content is at the core of it's gameplay, but it takes it in an unusual direction with the cards and ARPG elements.

L.O.R.D

i need help in lightning returns in PC
any one finish it yet ?

i need the save file after day 8 with all 5 main quests finished.

Dsyndrome

Since a bunch of folks here have a Vita:
New Vita Update (day late, sorry)

I don't know what it was yesterday but XCOM finally clicked with me to a point where I don't want to play anything else. Not going to finish it before 2's release, but I'm having fun going through now and trying to keep all the member nations happy. Still get mad when my dude's are blown away in one turn, but (I'll probably be crucified for this) savescumming helps to prevent that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is it worth upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 just because of Tomb Raider?
It's worth it for Windows 10.

I'm not even sure my notebook will run it decently (840m, 8GB RAM and i5 4210u).
What makes you think the requirements increased? They lowered. Especially if you turn off that dumb Cortana shit.

L.O.R.D

Since a bunch of folks here have a Vita:
New Vita Update (day late, sorry)

I don't know what it was yesterday but XCOM finally clicked with me to a point where I don't want to play anything else. Not going to finish it before 2's release, but I'm having fun going through now and trying to keep all the member nations happy. Still get mad when my dude's are blown away in one turn, but (I'll probably be crucified for this) savescumming helps to prevent that.

holy shit , thanks for the warning.

edit: oh, it's a joke

Dr Dogg

Oh? Please elaborate XD

There's stuff like audio logs and diary pages of people before the events of the game and during the virus outbreak going on. So some are trying to show the human side to New York but the writing is abysmal. The worst one was an interchange between a coup,e of young girls using some of the worst uses of slang I've seen in a while. Here's and example.

Girl 1: Oh. Em. Gee. Did you see Aria's new video?

Girl 2: Holy shit, it's so awesome! I can't believe her look! Did you hear she's dating the singer from that Sweedish band?

Girl 1: What?! No way! He's on fleet! His hair is gorge!

Girl 2: I love him so much. she's like the luckiest girl in the word.

Woman: Get off the phone! You have to come see what's on the news!

Girl 2: I gotta go, bae. Mom's getting' jelly. Love you, lates!

Girl 1: kk, see you later! Call me!

I want those brain cells I lost re typing that up back UbiSoft!

AHA-Lambda

Just curious, but anyone ever played this game actually? Overclocked: A History of Violence

I remember it coming out back in the day it looked kinda Fahrenheit-esque to me back then. Never did try it, on account of the middling reviews and I wasn't into PC gaming at the time.

http://www.gog.com/game/overclocked_a_history_of_violence

EDIT: huh once again, another example of GOG having a game cheaper than Steam cos idk Steam tax >_>

There's stuff like audio logs and diary pages of people before the events of the game and during the virus outbreak going on. So some are trying to show the human side to New York but the writing is abysmal. The worst one was an interchange between a coup,e of young girls using some of the worst uses of slang I've seen in a while. Here's and example.

What is it with the French and writing hella bad dialogue? :p

GOG's user reviews are pretty good overall, even taking into consideration the age of the game. If there's good to be found in the game, they will make note of it.

For Overclocked... they didn't. Be wary.

This just made me realise how inadequate Steam's user reviews are. All of the top ones are youtuber-bait or joke reviews... at this point, I generally skim the most helpful ones, glance at the overall userscore, and let that be my user review.

Started SOMA and it's pretty good so far, the sound design and visuals are incredible, everything feels alive, the main characters voice actor is kind of a dork and the performance is weird with Vsync dropping framerate down to 30 if there's a slight hitch from the normal 60, can't seem to get it figured out either. :(

Knurek

Seems realistic, provided the two girls are, uhh, 12?

Dr Dogg

What is it with the French and writing hella bad dialogue? :p

Seems realistic, provided the two girls are, uhh, 12?

The creepy fake stalker one and roughty toughty thugs talking about how they go beat on some families are worse but they have to be heard to get the full effect. Bear in mind this is just what's in the beta, I can imagine there's going to be plenty of hammy ones in the full game.

Watch_Dogs at least had a Privacy Invasion that had a cameo by a SteamGAFfer (trying to return their mixed up anime doll order).

AHA-Lambda

GOG's user reviews are pretty good overall, even taking into consideration the age of the game. If there's good to be found in the game, they will make note of it.

For Overclocked... they didn't. Be wary.

Ooft, may just skip then. I do remember it getting mediocre to bad reviews in the day so... :p

Haunted

Just curious, but anyone ever played this game actually? Overclocked: A History of Violence

I remember it coming out back in the day it looked kinda Fahrenheit-esque to me back then. Never did try it, on account of the middling reviews and I wasn't into PC gaming at the time.

http://www.gog.com/game/overclocked_a_history_of_violence
I do, it's a fairly traditional mid-tier point n click adventure game from that era (mid-2000s) and has only superficial similarities to Fahrenheit.

Pretty middling, there's plenty like it out there (and arguably better) like Secret Files, Black Mirror, Moment of Silence etc.

Dr Dogg

Was there any holding up of sporks and touting the extent of their randomness?

I kind of wished I sporked my eyes out to be honest.

Bizarely UbiSoft used to have the driest and most boring audiologs in the biz. Generally they were only in Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon (can't remeber if the Vegas R6's had anything similar) but they were all about 'the mission, or the pantomime villain's wicked deeds and plans. AssCreed II had some forth wall breaking with snarky Shaun and Rebecca having back and forths in the Animus Logs and emails. But it wasn't until Watch_Dogs where they thought 'hey let's have some funny scenes with every day normal people'.

These were used for the the flavour text when you profile someone, the text log and phone conversations when you hack people, the hacking collectable Privacy Invasions and little bonus videos when breaking into a ctOS server. All of them with crude sexual innuendo, really bad taste things like a son phoning up his dad as no one has heard from him in a week as we see a crumpled body on the floor (and convinetly rob his bank account), to awful attempts of being 'down with the kids' and over abundant use of out of date slang, pop culture references and memes gallore! The Division seems to be going this way too.

derExperte

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Saints Row IV -- MB-106CA8C30B695C3F - Taken by NicoNizza. 7 entrants total.

t1454282541z1.png

Wok

But did you get your money's worth?

Definitely worth it for me. The game is #9 in my most played games on Steam.

7LPZsbh.png

For comparison, Talos Principle is #13 (but I did use a guide for the stars, so the game length should have been a ton more, and the comparison is not really meaningful).

Gb0KcQ3.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was going so well too tonight ;_;

j6JOSs1.png

RIP my only abom

I kind of wished I sporked my eyes out to be honest.

Bizarely UbiSoft used to have the driest and most boring audiologs in the biz. Generally they were only in Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon (can't remeber if the Vegas R6's had anything similar) but they were all about 'the mission, or the pantomime villain's wicked deeds and plans. AssCreed II had some forth wall breaking with snarky Shaun and Rebecca having back and forths in the Animus Logs and emails. But it wasn't until Watch_Dogs where they thought 'hey let's have some funny scenes with every day normal people'.

These were used for the the flavour text when you profile someone, the text log and phone conversations when you hack people, the hacking collectable Privacy Invasions and little bonus videos when breaking into a ctOS server. All of them with crude sexual innuendo, really bad taste things like a son phoning up his dad as no one has heard from him in a week as we see a crumpled body on the floor (and convinetly rob his bank account), to awful attempts of being 'down with the kids' and over abundant use of out of date slang, pop culture references and memes gallore! The Division seems to be going this way too.

Writing conversation well is tough. People who know how to do it are generally in writing professions that pay more than video games. (Heck, think of the last few conversations you had. If they were put in a video game, would people think that was good writing or bad?)

Turfster

Writing conversation well is tough. People who know how to do it are generally in writing professions that pay more than video games. (Heck, think of the last few conversations you had. If they were put in a video game, would people think that was good writing or bad?)

Most of the privacy invasion stuff in Wash_Dogs was vile, reprehensible stuff, tho, that didn't have to be that way, but was just there for the sniggering 12 year old "shock" value.

Dsyndrome

Fuck the alien base. Save scumming proves to be useless, the chryssalids just come to ganksquad and off 1-2 folks a turn. Going to have to rethink this mission...

The worst part about Chrysallids is witnessing their movement radius. Their first turn you go, "oh, no" and then... they move again straight into the fray. And, of course, they're never alone so it's like them, two or three of them two tiles away from four guys.

I'm terrified to know what they're like in XCOM 2.

Volimar

The worst part about Chrysallids is witnessing their movement radius. Their first turn you go, "oh, no" and then... they move again straight into the fray. And, of course, they're never alone so it's like them, two or three of them two tiles away from four guys.

I remember at the XCOM 2 panel when the mentioned the Chrysalids, the whole room let out an audible groan.

I really need to get Darkest Dungeon one of these days. The Giant Bomb QL allayed all of my fears and sold me on it.

For some reason I always imagined that corpse thing would be annoying and antifun, but it fits right in.
urgh =/

Gonna be rough getting back in to XCOM next week!

There may well be things worse than chrysallids in XCOM 2.

Brace yourself, Commander.

Anno

The latest Firaxis Twitch playthrough featured a ton of the damned things if you really want to know.

Firehead

s1eiRzD.png
I'm getting frustrated with how we still don't have a set release date for FFIX. Would love to finally get myself to beat the game for once... Tried running it on my n3ds, but it's just unplayable.

zTouy3e.png
Totally not gonna get caught up in Tetra Master again.

Sober

Even if we compare TR Underworld with rebooted TR (and people didn't like Underworld) we can see how much game is different.

In that video you can see how Lara goes through whole level without shooting humans (i think there are no humans in that level but i could be wrong i played that game long time ago) and most animals you can avoid to shoot. Whole level is platforming and puzzles.
Hadn't played Underworld but didn't Legend have a plot to it or something? I never finished Anniversary myself (planning to, one day) but it was a remake so it probably had what little minimal plot it carried over.

Sadly I think the TR reboot is part of the current philosophy of game design where you have to drive the player forward with conflict. Which I suppose is actually not current, it's always been there, just not really with the older TR games as far as I know. I think it its quiet moments ROTTR does a lot of stuff right.

I don't mind the lack of isolationalism because clearly they were never going to design for a game where all you do is platform around large environmental puzzles because I just don't think that's where the audience is anymore, at least in the AAA space. And let's be honest, that kind of stuff is just linear anyway whereas designers keep pushing toward the open world/hub-world style design, 'stages' like you see in old TR games are more rare these days. It's sad but true but I do appreciate what they did manage to get into ROTTR that wasn't main story content, because that's much more enjoyable stuff, like the tombs and some of the side content.

I mean if you even read gaming side here look how much time is spent on pages and pages of posts complaining about what combat in which game is better and people still scoff at games with either minimal combat mechanics or a lack of it. You know, those "not games" and all that.

AHA-Lambda

I should check that out, haven't played a TR game past Chronicles on the PS1(!) and think I'd much prefer something like this.

EDIT: Heck, I'm sure I've got a disc copy of Anniversary somewhere that I got as a freebie for something.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. It really really uncool that you can run into the Collector in Darkest Dungeon in Level 1 dungeons. He completely wrecked my new crew near the end of a long one. Ended up abandoning the dungeon with only 1 more fight left =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom