• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

ilTC58r.gif
I don't think we're THAT german yet.

Hektor

Is there a way to check if any of the games you own on Steam are no longer available on the store?

http://removed.timekillerz.eu/tools.php

Yeah, probably because it's a magnet for it.

I'd probably be fine if we could explain the fantasy world as being some weird planet in the universe, buy I wouldn't want to spend any appreciable time there all the same.

And if there is something explained by magic, I'm out.

I think i know the perfect anime for you.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I'd probably be fine if we could explain the fantasy world as being some weird planet in the universe, buy I wouldn't want to spend any appreciable time there all the same.

Magic, got it.

Some of my favorite parts about the lore for the Elder Scrolls games are barely scratched by what you'd come across in a typical playthrough. There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes with why the plane of Oblivion was the way it was and how it factored into the actual Universe of the game - and not the umbrella term, but rather the embodiment of physical space and the planets/stars/moons.

But very little of this is talked about in game, forcing you to read books to get to the juicier parts.

I've never really thought about why I like modern and sci-fi more than fantasy, it's just always been how it is. But the more I think on it, I think I share some of the sentiment you've expressed. It tends to house lazier writing that waves away everything and that's no fun!

Phawx

But what if the author explains how the magic works?

Knurek

Kinda surprising that the Witcher feels mostly original when it's pretty much entirely not. It's got elves, it's got dwarves, it's got a setting that is largely made by pasting together every fairy and folk tale ever.

Pretty much every other Fantasy RPG is of either Japanese or Anglo-Saxon origins.
The Witcher is a slavic game, made by Slavs, is about Slavs doing slaving things (mostly being genocided in various, often creative ways) in a vaguely slavic setting.

That's just my guess though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
-__-

you're difficult

The hardest nut to crack is often the sweetest.

Or the grossest, really. The meat is usually dried up and bitter.

But what if the author explains how the magic works?

It's a fine line between magic and superpower, I admit. The difference is that once you explain magic enough, it's basically an imaginary science.

Kinda hidden deal: the Bioshock Triple Pack (containing all mainline Bioshocks and no DLC) is only ~$9 or so. Being 85% off instead of 75%, it's a pretty good deal compared to buying them alone.

The season pass for Infinite is ridiculously priced, though...
Kinda surprising that the Witcher feels mostly original when it's pretty much entirely not. It's got elves, it's got dwarves, it's got a setting that is largely made by pasting together every fairy and folk tale ever.

So what you really dislike is bad or lazy writing, and fantasy is a magnet for it?

The Witcher is heavily inspired by Slavic mythology, which is why it has a different spin on everything. There are obvious inspirations from other mythologies, though--Sapkowski did that a lot in the books, taking an established myth, twisting it, and making it his.

Caerith

Yeah, I don't like when things are neatly, magically explained away, whether by "a wizard did it," deus ex machina, or reversing the polarity.

Pretty much every other Fantasy RPG is of either Japanese or Anglo-Saxon origins.
The Witcher is a slavic game, made by Slavs, is about Slavs doing slaving things (mostly being genocided in various, often creative ways) in a vaguely slavic setting.

That's just my guess though.
I think it's that the Witcher focuses more on the human element. Like, their Snow White equivalent who's a bag of contradictions, or Geralt himself making stupid, human mistakes.

Uzzy

I think it's that the Witcher focuses more on the human element. Like, their Snow White equivalent who's a bag of contradictions, or Geralt himself making stupid, human mistakes.

Exactly. The best fantasy or sci-fi explores the nature of the characters and uses their conflicts with the world to say something about the human condition.

Werd

I mentioned Wolfenstein 3d ran surprisingly terribly in the default emulation, but playing it with the ECWolf fan version was in turn surprisingly great. Looks and plays very smoothly, played about an episode and a half with a DS4 which felt natural, renamed the .exe so Steam still launches it and does cloud saves/time tracking.

Good retro nostalgia fun. One of the first games I remember playing on my Dad's PC along with Commander Keen and the like, still fun.

Arthea

IF is my favourite publisher now
I might even be able to buy booth FFF and Celestian Tales, hopefully CT price is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom