• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I feel like this page needs a drop of sanity, FF12 is the worst FF game, it shares its spot with FF13, but FF13 wins because it has a fun battle system and looks pretty.
Story of FF12 is non entity, like IDK even FF1 story is more important, writing being OK, doesn't make story any good or interesting, writing is not everything, what is written is more important.
gambit system is interesting, yes, but it makes you not toplay a game, but occasionally manage it, it mostly it autoplays itself,
Exploration is good though, and a world is nice, FF12 is not a bad game and has some interesting ideas, but it is worst FF game and what's most important it is not fun to play.

here, now we at least start having some balance

Arthea

I enjoyed the gameplay of FF12 way more than FF13. Different strokes, no need so worked up that people enjoyed it.

that is not my intention, I just see the pattern in how steamgaf works, some game is the best game ever and nothing else compares, then the game is released, people buy into hype and some end unhappy..
Whatever can be said for FF12, it's a very divisive game, and anyway no game works like this as in "the best thing ever for everybody", there is always another side of the coin, always.
and tone of those posts looks like it is the only opinion, so for the balance I have to reply in the same key.
All these are still only opinions, right?

Anteater

was the story in ff12 any good?

i remember the judges being really cool looking and balthier (was it?) being a really fun dude but kind of hating the rest

i mostly like ff12 cos i liked fooling around with the ai

nah that's the weakest part of the game imo, it fell off a cliff towards the end and it certainly does some things bad, character wise I think it's a mixed bag and i think the strongest characters outweighs the worst ones tho and they're very memorable, like you said Balthier is cool while Vaan/Panelo were lame, but it's not like it's not the norm with the side cast in other FFs

Annubis

Lol how is it?

I see a lot of posts and guides on a rated 18 version but...just to make sure there isn't anything too revealing or whatever right?

Will be awkward to play it and have rest of the household hear strange noises....l0l

The base version does not have anything 'weird'.
It's just happy fluffy.

The purchasable 18+ version (not purchasable on Steam) has sex with the catgirls.
It's fully voiced so you would clearly need earphones.

zkylon

zkylewd
nah that's the weakest part of the game imo, it fell off a cliff towards the end and it certainly does some things bad, character wise I think it's a mixed bag and i think the strongest characters outweighs the worst ones tho and they're very memorable, like you said Balthier is cool while Vaan/Panelo were lame, but it's not like it's not the norm with the side cast in other FFs

i think i liked balthier and blonde beard dude but hated the rest

i like the "like final fantasy tactics" comparison but that's not the image i have in my head, maybe cos the story is told from the pov of two lame sky pirate kids and miniskirt princess instead of nobles and mercenaries

Anteater

that is not my intention, I just see the pattern in how steamgaf works, some game is the best game ever and nothing else compares, then the game is released, people buy into hype and some end unhappy..
Whatever can be said for FF12, it's a very divisive game, and anyway no game works like this as in "the best thing ever for everybody", there is always another side of the coin, always.
and tone of those posts looks like it is the only opinion, so for the balance I have to reply in the same key.
All these are still only opinions, right?

you're basically doing what most gaffers are doing with "It's the worst FF ever!", it's opinion and all, FF12 and every FF totally has their flaws but you're not so different than people claiming something to be the best thing ever :p

MUnited83

For you.
Artificial posting to keep some kind of imaginary balance and shitting on games just to "maintain" it is pretty weird.

Like are you going to do that every time someone says a game is good?

Parsnip

No one ever said that FF12 is the best for everyone. That would be absurd.

It's the best for people with impeccable taste, that's all.

i like the "like final fantasy tactics" comparison but that's not the image i have in my head, maybe cos the story is told from the pov of two lame sky pirate kids and miniskirt princess instead of nobles and mercenaries

Balthier is the leading man after all.
Did you play it last when it came out originally? You should give it another go when this remaster hits PC, there's more to Ashe than her miniskirt.

Anteater

yah balthier was definitely the one worthy of any praise, he was the leading man, the rest sorta sucks, blond beard dude is okay and so was ashe if she didn't have the shortest skirt ever

Arthea

you're basically doing what most gaffers are doing and what you're complaining about though with "It's the worst FF ever!", it's opinion and all, FF12 and every FF totally has their flaws but you're not so different than people claiming something to be the best thing ever :p

you want me to lie? I honestly think it's the worst FF game, reasons:
1. Not involved rather detached gameplay, due to game being build along gambit usage.
2. literally no character development
3. I said about story before
4. It feels and plays as a MMO, there is no diversity which is a trademark of FF, almost all sidequests are hunts too
5. It is not fun to play (subjective), only one of all FF games, I don't find FF3 all that fun too, but mostly because of how grindy it is, so it's different matter entirely.

and BTW I'm not complaining, I was just stating facts as I see them.

now what we are forgetting that this new version is not FF we played, so it could be better in gameplay department, we'll see

Artificial posting to keep some kind of imaginary balance and shitting on games just to "maintain" it is pretty weird.

nah, too much work, and I haven't played all games, but yeah, if I can and have time I provide my opinion, it's what gaming boards are for, no?

And is it accompanied by the need to defend Bad Rats and Ride to Hell: Retribution whenever they're brought up?

with bad rats, it has sizeable defense force, in case you haven't noticed.
Ride to Hell: Retribution never gets talked about.

And is it accompanied by the need to defend Bad Rats and Ride to Hell: Retribution whenever they're brought up?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Guys can we please not argue here about a game that hasn't even been announced for PC / Steam yet?

Arthea is entitled to his opinion about the game as is everyone else. The critics and most people don't agree, but it is always good to see opposing viewpoints from people who hold opinions contrary to the popular one.

Anteater

Guys can we please not argue here about a game that hasn't even been announced for PC / Steam yet?

Arthea is entitled to his opinion about the game as is everyone else. The critics and most people don't agree, but it is always good to see opposing viewpoints from people who hold opinions contrary to the popular one.

screw that! "Let's not talk about games because it's not yet announced on a platform where there's not much happening that we could discuss about", you should know us better than that :p

he's totally entitled to his opinion tho and i like his last post but I'm certainly just saying that calling a game the worst isn't so much better than someone just making a random post about something being the best, and yes I do agree with someone posting opposing viewpoints if the person was to do just that

Pachimari

What am I even supposed to do in Technobabylon. I wanted a sci-if game but I'm just stuck in this room and can't get anywhere. I'm playing the beta on iPad but just wanna erase it straight away.

Well fuck me. I couldn't get the free month because I'm on Amazon Student but if I knew that one could sell these crates these could've paid for the year of Amazon Prime I would've needed to buy to get the crate.
Fuck me too, I had Amazon prime but didn't link it until a few days ago.

Ascheroth

Yeah, let's talk about anime instead.

Anime Dishonored had a pretty promising start.
mYPS19K.jpg
8xaldWj.jpg
As did anime Etrian Odyssey.

NeoRaider

Pre-ordered both Hellblade and Life is Strange: Before the Storm.
LiS on GMG, because i am pretty sure that it will be good and that i will like it.
Hellblade directly on Steam, because i am not sure about the gameplay and performance.

Only Cuphead and Vampyr left. (Still not sure about Cuphead day 1 tho. will wait for reviews/impressions).

Wok

I have recently encountered a player on the Steam forum who could not see the "demo" button on a store page. It is true that it is not easy to spot, and I am sometimes surprised to discover that a game which I am interested in has in fact a demo. So, I have extracted the demo appids from SteamDB and formatted the whole into a list of Steam games with demos. The list is sorted by Wilson score.

In the top 15 already, I can already notice 3 games which I wanted to try.

Guys, you probably know this already, but Prey 2017 is legit. It's basically System Shock 3, i dreamed about this game since i finished SS2 for the first time, Arkane are fucking wizards because this is pure magic.

MUnited83

For you.

It just seems a empty way of being contrarian. " Saying something is the best shouldn't be said because it's subjective. Now let me tell you how that game is actually the worst"

Teggy

Has anyone played all of the Assassin's Creed Chronicles games? I played a bit of China this weekend. I was thinking that since these are all standalone they all have to spend the first hour or so on tutorial. Given they are about 6 hours long for a basic play through, are they all really similar except for level design and story? Same exact weapons and mechanics?

Wait, is there a Dishonored anime?

I have recently encountered a player on the Steam forum who could not see the "demo" button on a store page. It is true that it is not easy to spot, and I am sometimes surprised to discover that a game which I am interested in has in fact a demo. So, I have extracted the demo appids from SteamDB and formatted the whole into a list of Steam games with demos. The list is sorted by Wilson score.

In the top 15 already, I can already notice 3 games which I wanted to try.

This is really useful, already downloading a bunch of demos, thanks for this.

fuzaco

So how is CrossCode anyway? I got it from a bundle a while back (I think the publisher put it in one without the developer knowing, because they forgot to read emails or something), but haven't played it yet, because I was planning to wait for the story to finish. Is it worth playing in its current state? Is it even getting close to finishing?

dex3108

I am really enjoying playing Mafia 3. I get why people complained but to me it is not an issue at all. I am enjoying while driving around, listening radio and roaming around the map :D Nightime is great but daytime also has it's moments. Characters are really great as is writing.

Fire Pro Wrestling World is unlocking in a couple of hours for $20. Anyone getting it?

It's Early Access though. Should I be wary of that?

I don't like that you apparently have to play through a long "mission mode" to unlock moves and parts for CAW.

Still, this is the first FPW in TWELVE years...

Thanks. It's pretty confusing that they changed the name of the game prior to actually releasing it...

It's pretty confusing, yeah. Game is already out for a few weeks but releases on Steam on July 31st.

Compared to the base game some of the changes are good, some less so, but most importantly there is new life in the game. Also it is f2p and you can experience all the story content without having to pay a single dime or face any paywalls.

I cannot recommend this title enough to people who have never played it before. By far the best written MMO out there.

Wok

Interestingly, some demos are hidden... For instance, these three:

alzmyME.png

SlXy0ao.png

So I have added a text which can be pasted in the browser to force the install of the demo, even if the "demo" button is hidden from the store.

Tonton

Interestingly, some demos are hidden... For instance, these two:

alzmyME.png

So I have added a text which can be pasted in the browser to force the install of the demo, even if the "demo" button is hidden from the store.

No wonder I couldn't remember Kerbal having a Demo
I might try it

Watched the first 2 episodes of the new Fate anime. I don't watch a lot of anime (1-2 shows per year, if that) but Fate Zero was amazing so I'm hoping this is at least half as good.

Would be great to have a RPG with high production values based on this franchise.

Watched the first 2 episodes of the new Fate anime. I don't watch a lot of anime (1-2 shows per year, if that) but Fate Zero was amazing so I'm hoping this is at least half as good.

Would be great to have a RPG with high production values based on this franchise.

Wasnt the PSP game "kinda" like that? Just didnt have high production values.

Fire Pro Wrestling World is unlocking in a couple of hours for $20. Anyone getting it?

It's Early Access though. Should I be wary of that?

I don't like that you apparently have to play through a long "mission mode" to unlock moves and parts for CAW.

Still, this is the first FPW in TWELVE years...

It looks like tons of fun, but I'll probably wait for full release. Even though I would have been happier with a Wrestlemania 2000/Revenge/No Mercy-like, I'll settle for this, which looks kinda like the old coin-op game or the Genesis one, albeit with way more moves. I could use something to scrub the taste of WWE 2K16 out of my mouth.

I don't mind unlocking for moves and parts. Better than paying for them, I'll tell you that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom