• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLD

Holy shit lol. Didn't realize that kind of crazy stuff was even possible. Lack of any kind of info or visual feedback from the game made me assume there wasn't any kind of depth to the combat.

I stand by the action RPG part of my comment, though. The game doesn't seem to be acknowledging or rewarding any of the crazy shit being pulled off in that gif.

Durante

Toukiden 2 runs flawlessly on my computer. Goes to show that not all games run equally on different PCs.
NieR:Automata, considered a good port, runs like crap on my system.
Toukiden 2, considered an awful/bad port runs like a dream.
A port which doesn't support arbitrary resolutions is by definition a crap port, and K-T is a crap company.

A PS3/Vita-limited game running better than a pure PS4/PC game is very much to be expected, anything else would be utterly ridiculous. Your PC is probably 20-100 times as fast as a Vita.

Ascheroth

Holy shit lol. Didn't realize that kind of crazy stuff was even possible. Lack of any kind of info or visual feedback from the game made me assume there wasn't any kind of depth to the combat.

I stand by the action RPG part of my comment, though. The game doesn't seem to be acknowledging or rewarding any of the crazy shit being pulled off in that gif.

I did not either until I saw that gif, lol.
I didn't even know there was a launcher move (I think it's jump+attack?). Holding the heavy attack button is a charged attack, holding light attack has a different move as well.

I think every weapon category has the same moveset, with the weapon dictating the max combo chain. (The L and H values that increase by upgrading).

But yes, I fully agree that it's an action-RPG at it's core and that stuff isn't needed or specifically pointed out to you.

FLD

I didn't even know there was a launcher move (I think it's jump+attack?). Holding the heavy attack button is a charged attack, holding light attack has a different move as well.

I think every weapon category has the same moveset, with the weapon dictating the max combo chain. (The L and H values that increase by upgrading).

But yes, I fully agree that it's an action-RPG at it's core and that stuff isn't needed or specifically pointed out to you.

See, I was under the impression that each weapon had its one combo and swapping them on the fly was the extent of what you could do. I didn't really feel the need to experiment given the action RPG thing, so I mostly just stuck to whatever weapon had the highest damage.

Also, the only way I managed to launch enemies was when attacking right after what I assumed were perfectly-timed dodges. Gonna have to look into it once I start route C, I guess. Is any of this explained anywhere in the game? Like, hidden away in a menu or something? I looked early on but couldn't find anything,

Jump heavy is a launcher with both sword types at least. You also get different attacks on the way up from a jump and on the way down.

You can cancel everything with a dodge. You can even cancel a move and have it still come out if your character lets go of the weapon.
Try jump + heavy on the way up with a greatsword and cancel it with a dodge after you let go of the sword and see it continue doing the motions :)
Note: this might actually just be a visual bug but it looks cool!

And there is this other weird move that i can get to come out about 70% of the time by spamming dodge and light. The weird thing about it is if i do it from a neutral position 2B always dodges in the same direction (north-ish?) no matter which way i am facing. Its the move where you throw your weapon and it keeps spinning.

See, I was under the impression that each weapon had its one combo and swapping them on the fly was the extent of what you could do. I didn't really feel the need to experiment given the action RPG thing, so I mostly just stuck to whatever weapon had the highest damage.

Also, the only way I managed to launch enemies was when attacking right after what I assumed were perfectly-timed dodges. Gonna have to look into it once I start route C, I guess. Is any of this explained anywhere in the game? Like, hidden away in a menu or something? I looked early on but couldn't find anything,

You get different attacks based on weapon types on followups from a perfect dodge. Light sword is a launcher, Heavy sword is a poke etc, and you can even do a pod explosion by shooting after a perfect dodge.
I don't think there are any menus to explain this sadly.

Ascheroth

Jump heavy is a launcher with both sword types at least. You also get different attacks on the way up from a jump and on the way down.

You can cancel everything with a dodge. You can even cancel a move and have it still come out if your character lets go of the weapon.
Try jump + heavy on the way up with a greatsword and cancel it with a dodge after you let go of the sword and see it continue doing the motions :)
Note: this might actually just be a visual bug but it looks cool!

And there is this other weird move that i can get to come out about 70% of the time by spamming dodge and light. The weird thing about it is if i do it from a neutral position 2B always dodges in the same direction (north-ish?) no matter which way i am facing. Its the move where you throw your weapon and it keeps spinning.

You get different attacks based on weapon types on followups from a perfect dodge. Light sword is a launcher, Heavy sword is a poke etc, and you can even do a pod explosion by shooting after a perfect dodge.
I don't think there are any menus to explain this sadly.
Yeah, dodging is fucking awesome in this game.

I think I know that move. Isn't it just holding the attack button down? Or dodge+holding it down after.
Gah, I wish I could test all of this out right now.

Yeah, dodging is fucking awesome in this game.

I think I know that move. Isn't it just holding the attack button down? Or dodge+holding it down after.
Gah, I wish I could test all of this out right now.

I'll have to try that later but I feel like its a different move as 2B moves a long distance on that dodge.

The combat may not be as deep as in some of Platinums other games but it's still pretty fun.

Tizoc

A port which doesn't support arbitrary resolutions is by definition a crap port, and K-T is a crap company.

A PS3/Vita-limited game running better than a pure PS4/PC game is very much to be expected, anything else would be utterly ridiculous. Your PC is probably 20-100 times as fast as a Vita.
Did u test toukiden 2 to see if it doesnt aupport arb. Resolutions?

Ludens

Banned
I'm playing Xanadu Next and, while the game is really good (very similar to Ys games, so if you like those, this is mandatory I think), the game is VERY bugged:

-many achievements don't work (not a big issue for me, but still an issue)
-lot of bugs in and there (like I couldn't interact with a chest containing a slab with a piece of the lore)

People are reporting those bugs in the steam community but apparently the game can't be patched right now because devs are working on something else.

Arthea

I'm playing Xanadu Next and, while the game is really good (very similar to Ys games, so if you like those, this is mandatory I think), the game is VERY bugged:

-lot of bugs in and there (like I couldn't interact with a chest containing a slab with a piece of the lore)

People are reporting those bugs in the steam community but apparently the game can't be patched right now because devs are working on something else.

Trails TC of course!
but they will patch it when they are done with most important game of this year

Zanzura

All weapons in Nier have charge (hold) moves and vary depending on whether you set them to light or heavy. For heavy charge attacks where there's a visible glow effect, releasing it early also results in a different attack. Each weapon also has a different counter attack after a perfect dodge, along with the pod's own normal shot. The launcher is done by jumping and immediately pressing heavy attack. If you jump and shoot at the same time, you'll do a forward flying kick with the pod, which is also good for getting extra distance on a jump. You can charge your pod programs provided you have found at least 1 extra pod, NPCs in the bunker hint their locations. You can also do a dodge + a light(?) attack to throw your weapon (I don't know how this interacts with fist type weapons yet) and heavy attacks are altered while sprinting. As for the obvious stuff, there's the different weapon combos for light -> heavy sequences such as the spear + large sword combo where you stick the spear in the ground to use as a pole to swing the large sword around with. All weapons have different attacks (including in the air) as well depending on whether they're set to light (slot 1) or heavy (slot 2).

That's about all the knowledge I have on the move list that should've been included in-game. Hope it helps.

Yar, Xseed's PC programming division is basically a one-man army.

Tizoc

Hopfully when theyre done with those other projects they go back and fix it up :x

Mivey

Hopfully when theyre done with those other projects they go back and fix it up :x
It's KT after all. Porting a game without technical excellence is just not acceptable to their work ethic. They take this stuff seriously after .. nope, couldn't even write it down with a straight face.

Lanrutcon

Nier Automata is consuming me, send help. I don't even care about finishing Zelda now.

What the...

You mean BOTW hasn't redefined gaming for you? doves didn't come down while an angelic choir sang in the background as you experienced the absolute pinnacle of modern day gaming?

Unsubscribing.

I give my post a 7/10. My keyboard broke while typing it.

Arthea

What are the chances we'll see the Cold Steel games on Steam?

I beat them both last year on PS3 and they're fantastic

Cold Steel are my most wanted games on steam, nothing else comes even close. When I'm done with Trails TC, I'll start bugging Xseed and Falcom until I get those!

Also you all should buy Trails in the Sky games on steam to encourage Falcom to approve Steel ports. It's pretty simple really

oni-link

Cold Steel are my most wanted games on steam, nothing else comes even close. When I'm done with Trails TC, I'll start bugging Xseed and Falcom until I get those!

Also you all should buy Trails in the Sky games on steam to encourage Falcom to approve Steel ports. It's pretty simple really

I will 100% get the Steam versions of Trails in the Sky 1-3, as I've not played them yet, but I want to take a break from JRPGs for a few months, as from November to Jan I put about 150 hours into Cold Steel 1 and 2

Endruen

I only wanted Drawful 2 and Facerig so I can be a cute little anime girl.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Endruen, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Choice Chamber -- MB-CD821EB536466DF7 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Monstercat Twitch 1 Year License -- MB-F48296DA9F67ECE0
Quiplash -- MB-F4023F9F03FE13CF - Taken by Last Baron. 9 entrants total.
XSplit Premium 3-Month License -- MB-E273FE7D87600C77 - Taken by Village. 1 entrants total.

t1490195091z1.png

Corpekata

Banned
Cold Steel I'm not sure I'd bet on. They've only just gotten 2 of their actual new games announced as coming to PC, and both are being handled by a different publishers than Cold Steel. Only way I see Cold Steel coming is if they decided to port 1 and 2 to PS4 as well before 3 comes out.

Jawmuncher

I'll play some nier before school. Never mind forgot you can't save anywhere and there's no auto save. Last thing I need is to be late because I'm in some crazy ass section.

oni-link

Cold Steel I'm not sure I'd bet on. They've only just gotten 2 of their actual new games announced as coming to PC, and both are being handled by a different publishers than Cold Steel. Only way I see Cold Steel coming is if they decided to port 1 and 2 to PS4 as well before 3 comes out.

I wonder if this is something they would look at

I'm pretty sure I read CS1 and 2 did well for them, so a PS4 collection might be a good idea

Jawmuncher

Port work can sometimes go in the opposite direction. Like was saw recently with Ys Orgins on PS4. In the case of cold steel, I would think that'd probably be one first, and then the other.

Anteater

yeah I won't be playing Nier until the weekend due to the save point system, not sure how long I'd spend with each session

Alright, I've managed to improve performance by 30-60% (in 4K, on a 980 Ti, a friend reports more than doubled performance on a low-end mobile GPU).

Here's the visual differences (and framerate impact). Warning: if you haven't completed Route A you may find this a bit of a spoiler.
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/1
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/2

Expect to see a fix incorporating this change soon.

neat, should help for people with lower end gpus

Nabs

yeah I won't be playing Nier until the weekend due to the save point system, not sure how long I'd spend with each session

Alright, I've managed to improve performance by 30-60% (in 4K, on a 980 Ti, a friend reports more than doubled performance on a low-end mobile GPU).

Here's the visual differences (and framerate impact). Warning: if you haven't completed Route A you may find this a bit of a spoiler.
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/1
http://diff.pics/VBmFSLj8bn95/2

Expect to see a fix incorporating this change soon.

neat, should help for people with lower end gpus

I guess I'll stop playing for now.

NeoRaider

Heh, glad that you finally get the key ��

It's not from them. They refunded my money (at least i hope so).

BTW. I am missing that Valve accessory... :(
Not that i care so much but still... not really sure why is SE doing this.

My key was "Day One Edition" but when i activated it there also was "Post-Launch" written. So stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom