• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Now you guys are just being mean. I may be a jerk, I may not have a soul, but I'm still capable of feeling. :(

we still love you even though your avatar is that guy from yaiba which most of us haven't played, but eventually we['ll all get to play that game once the price drop below 20 bucks

Arthea

So I'm guessing GOG Galaxy will come out this week? Since The Witcher Adventure Game does, and that should use Galaxy (and it apparently also has achievements).

it has?! Purchase redeemed!
just kidding, still I was sure that there will be no social thingies that are online based more or less.

we still love you even though your avatar is that guy from yaiba which most of us haven't played, but eventually we['ll all get to play that game once the price drop below 20 bucks

that reminds me, why Yaiba is never on sale still?!
winter sale, believe

Vastag

I'm addicted to War Thunder tank battles right now. I have a terrible backlog and all my time goes to online games.

Accoun

I want just check some gameplay videos, that was the first I found on Youtube, I didn't expect they fully describe FFXIII ending :S

Reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles 2 - I talked about it with someone while still playing VC1 and wanted to see some footage. First thing on YT was the review from IGN (IIRC). Started watching and right in the beginning I was hit with a spoiler about a end twist (or at least late game story, don't remember).

Tenrius

It confuses me because the game features all of the same elements in the series that people either love/hate; nanomachines, melodrama, soliloquies about war and humanity and all that.

Plus it delivers exceptional fan service and some really fun boss fights.

Well, as someone who absolutely loved MGS1-3, the game was really disappointing. Not only the plot itself was all over the place, both in terms of pacing and content, it also sort of spit on the previous games either by tying loose ends in ridiculous ways or transforming characters into caricatures of themselves. Frankly, the fanservice card they card to play more or less backfired in my case, had the complete opposite effect. The gameplay was pretty good, but didn't get much of a chance to shine due to generally bad direction and level design (big portions of the game were either completely empty or had nothing but stupid gimmicks). I was left with a really bad taste in my mouth after playing it for the first time in 2012, and this game along with Peace Walker made me sour me on the entire franchise, despite being a huge fan prior to that.

I made a thread comparing the pacing of MGS4 to older entries a while ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603926.

Metal Gear Solid 3 was a gem because it was balanced. No more bullshit like in MGS2, no one hour long cutscenes, no stupid AI going crazy thing. A man, his mission, his master, his beloved. And a great gameplay that really shine. I love MGS 1 so much, but MGS3 is a valid contender.

MGS3 just never clicked for me. I never cared and nothing was ever interesting enough to draw me into the game. I disliked the food system and the camo systems. Something about the gameplay felt wrong too...

The last fight was good and The Sorrow/The End were good MGS style boss fights, but it's one of those games that seemingly just about everyone loves and I kept thinking "I loved MGS and MGS2 was good, but needed time to be fully appreciated... MGS3 just feels so... different.

The gameplay is indeed great, but that fanservice bit is exactly why I don't care for the game all that much in the end. MGS2 also had overlong cutscenes and codec conversations, but it did it while feeling like the work of a crazed genius, doing things nobody else had ever bothered with in games. MGS4 felt like a long slog of a tribute to the series. It didn't work for me. I wanted another MGS2 experience. Something fresh, new, vibrant.

Instead I got a whole season of MGS: The Fanservice Experience, with bits of brilliant gameplay strung through it here and there.

I can see your point, it doesn't quite have as much of a unique tone that MGS2 had, I guess MGS2 was consistent in it's madness lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Need a quick opinion if y'all don't mind. Does this new Steam icon look ok?

Z6EycEV.png

edit: ok, looks like I won't use this then, I agree it's a bit too drab. Thanks for the feedback!

it has?! Purchase redeemed!
just kidding, still I was sure that there will be no social thingies that are online based more or less.

http://www.gog.com/game/witcher_adventure_game

Art design taken straight from the critically acclaimed Witcher series of video games.
Play vs. AI and vs. your friends (online multiplayer and hot seat).
Clear, simple rules and intuitive mechanics.
4 unique heroes with different skills and approaches to problem solving.
Achievement and leaderboard support.
The digital edition contains over 288 cards and 30 monsters.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah maybe I should just keep it with this guy...

N34PxHr.png

Just messing with things in case some kind of Steam related event happens in the near future.

Thanks everyone!

Miguel81

MGS2 gets major kudos just for crazy Colonel Campbell. Those were the most memorable codec moments in the series. Kojima had to up the ante after Psycho Mantis in the original, and he did just that in a glorious way.

Edit: Is the original PC copy of 2 in a playable state without tweaks?

yuraya

Since there is so much MGS talk I just wanted to chip in :)

Snake Eater is the best MGS game and there is no debating it.

Best story
Best Healing system
Best music
Best intro (even better than MGS2)
Best villain (Volgin)
Best setting

And most importantly best boss fights. The Cobra unit was the fucking shit.

cobras.jpg

All the fights were different and unique. The Sorrow boss fight was probably the most creative boss fight in any video game. I wish Kojima brings MGS3 to Steam. It is a timeless classic and probably the best console game ever. Its the one MGS game I wish I had in my Steam library. The rest are great as well but none of them are in the same league as Snake Eater.

hohoXD123

Yeah maybe I should just keep it with this guy...

N34PxHr.png

Just messing with things in case some kind of Steam related event happens in the near future.

Thanks everyone!

Yeah imo this one is still better, ignoring the text it better conveys what the game is about.

xGreg

For me:

MGS1 -> MGS3 > all

Although I never I played MGS4. I hope some day Kojima port The Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection to PC/Steam :)

Since there is so much MGS talk I just wanted to chip in :)

Snake Eater is the best MGS game and there is no debating it.

Best story
Best Healing system
Best music
Best intro (even better than MGS2)
Best villain (Volgin)
Best setting

And most importantly best boss fights. The Cobra unit was the fucking shit.

cobras.jpg

All the fights were different and unique. The Sorrow boss fight was probably the most creative boss fight in any video game. I wish Kojima brings MGS3 to Steam. It is a timeless classic and probably the best console game ever. Its the one MGS game I wish I had in my Steam library. The rest are great as well but none of them are in the same league as Snake Eater.

I don't recall the healing system, but I know the music didn't stand out. Volgin was generic trash and the only thing really worth remembering was the final boss fight. Every other MGS game (that I've played) is better, including limited playtime in peace walker HD.

Ventara

Hey guys, I saw something about Canadians being able to pick up Dragon Age: Inquisition for $26 through Chrome and Hulu over on the Canadian Deals thread. Will I get into trouble for this if I tried to get in on that? If not, how does that deal work?

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Hey guys, I saw something about Canadians being able to pick up Dragon Age: Inquisition for $26 through Chrome and Hulu over on the Canadian Deals thread. Will I get into trouble for this if I tried to get in on that? If not, how does that deal work?

Is that the thing where you are using some other currency to buy the game? Seems sketchy to me (although I am seeing from others that it works fine).

EDIT: Nevermind, dead deal ;P

SSPssp

Unfortunately, the Reddit thread says the deal is dead. Apparently, Uplay's Ukraine store had the deal, but its gone from the store, and some people haven't been sent their keys yet.

Turfster

It was on the Ukraine Uplay store yesterday.
Ubi pulled it it already, though.

Ventara

Is that the thing where you are using some other currency to buy the game? Seems sketchy to me (although I am seeing from others that it works fine).

Yeah, I wasn't sure I should go for that deal either, so I was planning to ask you guys if it was on the up and up, forgot, then just remembered right now, lol.

Unfortunately, the Reddit thread says the deal is dead. Apparently, Uplay's Ukraine store had the deal, but its gone from the store, and some people haven't been sent their keys yet.
It was on the Ukraine Uplay store yesterday.
Ubi pulled it it already, though.

Ah okay, thanks. I guess it's back to waiting. I might just end up buying it for my PS3.

I can agree with this. My first love was a redhead.

Also my friends just teach me how to play Magic. It was really fun.
I've been playing Magic since about the fourth grade, and I think we're the same age, so I've been playing a long time. Haven't seriously played since Ravnica though. You should pick up one of the games on steam, I think people think 2013 is the best.

ViviOggi

The amount of underlying systems in Snake Eater's jungle is incredible but I absolutely love the narrative Kojima pulled off in 2 so, even if it loses a checklist comparison with Snake Eater, it's still my favorite MGS.

PC collection needs to come out yesterday so nobody has to buy these games ever again

GODDAMN Insurgency is so fucking good, I swear.

The nighttime maps with nightvision on seems like you are playing war footage.

CoD ain't got shit on this. I daresay its even more fun than CS:GO.

I haven't played it yet, but there are some very neat workshop mods you can get too! Sounds, textures, voices, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom