• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endruen

Like 2 days when I download while sleeping.
I've had the same 700kbs max internet for like 12 years

I feel you, man. I top 1000kbps, but it's usually around 800kbps. The fucking company doesn't want to install optic fiber on my street. They have it around the corner, goddammit!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel you, man. I top 1000kbps, but it's usually around 800kbps. The fucking company doesn't want to install optic fiber on my street. They have it around the corner, goddammit!

Time to move

Jawmuncher

Not having to worry about data plan is the only benefit to a slower internet. The internet in the area is growing so at some point it shouldn't suck so much.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not having to worry about data plan is the only benefit to a slower internet. The internet in the area is growing so at some point it shouldn't suck so much.

I think I live in one of the only places left where internet is still fast (100Mbps), unlimited bandwidth, and relatively cheap ($59.99/month).

FLD

It's a pretty rad game, and I think a lot of people are happy to be able to purchase it on their platform of choice despite performance issues.

Yeah, I really wish it ran better and didn't look like everything had vaseline smeared all over it but it's otherwise super fun. Really enjoying the gameplay so far, kinda feels like a Max Payne spiritual successor.

On the bright side, the game should look pretty damn good once we have hardware powerful enough to brute force the performance with scaling turned off and everything cranked up.

I thought Quantum Break was pretty ok. I enjoyed it more than Alan Wake oddly. Although QB has quite a few immersion breaking stuff that can irk you once you notice it.

Wok

20gh is kinda my max. More than that and downloads and going all digital becomes a pain and a pipe dream

Like 2 days when I download while sleeping.
I've had the same 700kbs max internet for like 12 years

Same here. Mostly because it's an unlimited plan that's pretty cheap too.

Ditto.

I could get the optic fiber but I would have to pay twice the price, which I see no benefit out of, except for the occasional 20 GB AAA game.

I think I live in one of the only places left where internet is still fast (100Mbps), unlimited bandwidth, and relatively cheap ($59.99/month).

That's... Expensive. Here I'm paying 35€, so more like 39 dollars for 1gbps (I download at 70mo/s on Steam), unlimited bandwith, tv, and unlimited cellphone call/texting/data.

Dr Dogg

I thought Quantum Break was an alright game. Not terrible but not great either, just alright. Combining the different powers in different combinations was pretty neat but some of the level design was pretty limited in what you could do. Cramped levels with cover for example would be less fun than the more spacious and open levels. Story was a bit hit and miss but the TV show bored me to tears. It's Netflix/Prime straight to video dross that after the first episode I just switched off for the following ones and spent the 20 mins browsing other shit on my phone until it was done. It really wouldn't affect the story of the game if you cut it out as it stars mainly an ancillary cast of characters not in the main game at all.

Endruen

I could get the optic fiber but I would have to pay twice the price, which I see no benefit out of, except for the occasional 20 GB AAA game.

In my case, since we have our phone, cell and satellite TV with the same company, we would actually pay less... In fact, I think we have that plan, but since our street isn't suited for it, we don't have enough speed.

jshackles

That's... Expensive. Here I'm paying 35€, so more like 39 dollars for 1gbps (I download at 70mo/s on Steam), unlimited bandwith, tv, and unlimited cellphone call/texting/data.

I almost put in that post that the caveat being that a lot of European countries have plans that make ours look like a joke. I assure you that if anywhere in the US had a $40/month plan that included 1Gbps internet, tv, and unlimited cell phone calling/data then nearly everyone in the US would want to move there. For comparison's sake, most people I know pay:

$60 a month or more for internet, possibly less for lower speed or older DSL
$100 a month for TV - more if they want HBO / Showtime / Whatever (this is just a satellite TV bill, doesn't count stuff like Netflix which most people double-dip with)
$60 a month for a cell phone plan that probably has 2GB of data capped

These numbers are pretty largely dependant on the market you're looking at (the US is YUGE) and I'm on the west coast. Before I moved here, I paid $80 / month for 8Mbps cable service (that was in 2010).

I almost put in that post that the caveat being that a lot of European countries have plans that make ours look like a joke. I assure you that if anywhere in the US had a $40/month plan that included 1Gbps internet, tv, and unlimited cell phone calling/data then nearly everyone in the US would want to move there. For comparison's sake, most people I know pay:

$60 a month or more for internet, possibly less for lower speed or older DSL
$100 a month for TV - more if they want HBO / Showtime / Whatever (this is just a satellite TV bill, doesn't count stuff like Netflix which most people double-dip with)
$60 a month for a cell phone plan that probably has 2GB of data capped

Well, France prices plummeted when we got a 4th carrier getting in. Before that, you'd pay your cell phone plan for 100euros a month for unlimited plan... And that was considered a great deal.
Prices competition happened since the new one came has the 3 before were caught multiple times befriending and were fined for this.

But yeah, I'd guess if a new carrier spawned in USA, with a 60 dollars everything included plan, they'd make a fuckin bank.

jshackles

Well, France prices plummeted when we got a 4th carrier getting in. Before that, you'd pay your cell phone plan for 100euros a month for unlimited plan... And that was considered a great deal.
Prices competition happened since the new one came has the 3 before were caught multiple times befriending and were fined for this.

But yeah, I'd guess if a new carrier spawned in USA, with a 60 dollars everything included plan, they'd make a fuckin bank.

That's exactly the problem with most ISPs in the US - there is little to no competition in most markets. We do have nation-wide players (Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, CenturyLink) but most of them have inked-out market exclusivity contracts due to the fact that they're all leasing the "last mile" lines from each other in most parts of the country.

It's one of the reasons that Google Fiber has been incredibly profitable here for the few small markets that have it - Google is installing their own new "last mile" infrastructure and it's finally switching things up a bit as it's providing actual competition. But even Google with their huge resources can't get fiber everywhere and conservative estimates put it at 15 or more years before it's available even in most major US cities.

Anyway, all this culminates to the original problem in that as game downloads get larger and larger, our aging infrastructure run by greedy corporations is showing it's age more and more.

derExperte

Pinball Arcade: Doctor Who Released

More like that that price is unusually cheap even for Europe. Won't find such a deal in many places.

My unlimited 200/20MBit including TV, telephone and a rather limited SIM card for ~50€ (plus 20€ cable fee) are nice and all (upgraded from 25/5 last week) but apparently now my 840 EVO is a bottleneck when downloading certain games via Steam as it can't handle unpacking and copying large amounts of small files for a prolonged period of time. Also many servers have trouble keeping up, 20€ more for 400 seems like a waste for now but at least it's an option. Goodbye Telekom.

Plesiades

From the Twitch Prime thread.

9a144eee8ad8155bcade93cdbceee3d6.png

New client for the Amazon Studios games?

jshackles

From the Twitch Prime thread.

9a144eee8ad8155bcade93cdbceee3d6.png

New client for the Amazon Studios games?

Seems like a good way to make sure nobody plays it. But then again they own Twitch and have billions of dollars, so maybe they know what they're doing(?).

yuraya

Playing MGSV again and decided to check my PF score after months of absence.

Found out I have accumulated like 330k PF points

QONVIyz.gif

Shit ton of free metal and fuel incoming

Shit ton

Based Kojima
and Konami

kagamin

I've already resolved something inside myself, I'm not buying games/keys for outside Steam (GOG not included) unless I can get a minimum 50% off, it helps curb purchases honestly.

Tizoc

Yo, are there any recommendations for the Steam OP next month?

I want to write something about Silver Case and Aragami but I am media blacout on them and all I got say about them is
Silver Case: One of Suda51's first games featuring his trademark wackiness and bizarre shit going on.
Aragami: A stealth game with a few inspirations from Tenchu

Uzzy

Yo, are there any recommendations for the Steam OP next month?

People should get into the Football Manager 2017 beta that starts next month, though I won't have a recommendation up till November's thread, which is when it releases. The recommendation will in no way make reference to certain humiliating events that occurred in the world of football this summer.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
People should get into the Football Manager 2017 beta that starts next month, though I won't have a recommendation up till November's thread, which is when it releases. The recommendation will in no way make reference to certain humiliating events that occurred in the world of football this summer.

Yep. My most played game year round.

Nzyme32

Yeah I have heard that you absolutely should have the expansions. Btw the complete edition is 107 euros without the sale .......... wtf?

Pretty sure that is the Anthology - which is every Civ game ever - probably best not getting that. You need the Civ V Complete edition, which will be a lot cheaper during a sale. There might be one when Civ VI launches as a celebration, but that is doubtful. Next sale is Autumn / Fall / Haloween, which ever happens first

Uzzy

Pretty sure that is the Anthology - which is every Civ game ever - probably best not getting that. You need the Civ V Complete edition, which will be a lot cheaper during a sale. There might be one when Civ VI launches as a celebration, but that is doubtful. Next sale is Autumn / Fall / Haloween, which ever happens first

Would be worth it for Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri though.

Well I bought Forza Horizon 3. Hope the PC version isn't shit as I haven't played but I know my friend wanted to play it on Xbox and we share so eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom