• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade debuts at #1 in Japan! It sold 67,131 physical units in its first 2 weeks on sale

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

dh1xvx9-7e9b48ee-0b4b-4932-924c-143c8874a3e7.gif

Smasher89

Wait, is this the first time japan's top 10 sold games are not dominated by nintendo in years?, i recall there was something like that before, in that case, very impressive to break that!

feynoob

Wait, is this the first time japan's top 10 sold games are not dominated by nintendo in years?, i recall there was something like that before, in that case, very impressive to break that!
Nope, PS would get some for their big games. But most of the time, its Nintendo.

Awesome to see it number 1! I can’t believe it’s taken decades for a Korean game like to come out and be published by someone outside of Korea to really prop it up like this.

Also, what the hell are the Japanese playing….. 67 thousand out of a country with a 125 million, I mean that’s like 0,05 percent of the pop, what the hell. console gaming seems so minuscule there.

Kilau

Gold Member
Hardly awesome, sorry guys.

The original Nier, (not Automata, its "flop" predecessor) shifted 60k units in its first week on sale in Japan on PS3 and a further 12.5k on 360.

What do you expect, there is a petition after all.

Woopah

PS games launch in the top 10 all the time, just most don't hang around that long.
Awesome to see it number 1! I can’t believe it’s taken decades for a Korean game like to come out and be published by someone outside of Korea to really prop it up like this.

Also, what the hell are the Japanese playing….. 67 thousand out of a country with a 125 million, I mean that’s like 0,05 percent of the pop, what the hell. console gaming seems so minuscule there.
About 1 in 4 people in Japan own a Switch, so mostly that. But in general the software lineup in Japan for the rest of the year is currently not very exciting, so software sales will be low

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nier wasn't a flop in Japan. It flopped outside of japan.

It was #1 in Japan in its week of release too, but hardly a huge hit that year. I was making a point about how low the bar is for sales success is for Japan these days.

Not taking a pop at either game, just putting it into perspective.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
How to make FF relevant in Japan again ?

Full party of waifus
I mean...Tifa is the all time waifu but yeah maybe for 17 they dress the main gal in something more revealing than Jill. She's a fantastic character but they still called her sexist even though she was dressed frumpy

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The important (actually awesome) thing is that Stellar Blade, a game made with a distinctly Asian style, has been a world-wide success.

This is super important because regardless of how big the market is in Japan, or any other country in Asia-Pacific region for that matter, it should give devs there confidence that they don't need to pander to Western sensibilities to be successful.

Japan is short on space and they have fast internet - I reckon digital is a huge chunk of their market.

Good for SB though - fantastic game.

Last edited:

Woopah

How does this compare to other games sold this year?
First two week of some other PS5 games in 2024:

[PS5] Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth - 118,328

[PS5] Persona 3 Reload - 86,054

[PS5] Rise of the Ronin - 84,785

[PS5] Dragon's Dogma II - 77,764

[PS5] Granblue Fantasy Relink - 57,202

[PS5] Tekken 8 - 25,890

Woopah

Stellar Blade is awesome but the Japanese market is a joke. 67k copies is a reason to party, really bro?
It's not outstanding, but pretty good for a new IP. Probably sold more in Japan than any other country except the US.

Home console has been dead in Japan for at least 5 years
People are still playing games on the TV, they are just using the Switch to do so.

SSfox

This game is too good, this is the type of games that make me a proud PS5 owner. I'm not sure if this is their (shift up) first solo game, but if it is this is quite impressive.

Last edited:

Aenima

This game is too good, this is the type of games that make me a proud PS5 owner. I'm not sure if this is their (shift up) first solo game, but if it is this is quite impressive.
Its Shift Up 1st console game. They only did 2 games before and was mobile games. So yeah, its really impressive what they pulled off, especially in the combat department that even after beating the game im still having alot of fun fighting random mobs and bosses.

Hardly awesome, sorry guys.

The original Nier, (not Automata, its "flop" predecessor) shifted 60k units in its first week on sale in Japan on PS3 and a further 12.5k on 360.
Yea 60k over 2 weeks is anemic. But better than nothing specially for a PS5 game, PS5 software sales haven't been rosy.

Madflavor

I've got new data. Data time for Gaf!

So it sold about 49k in it's first week with a 80-100% sell through, which lines up with reports of many stores being sold out in Japan.

It sold 18k in it's second week, which is a 63% drop, which is less than Rise of the Ronin's 68% and Dragon's Dogma 2's 87%. So pretty good hold overall. Now that the stores are stocked again, we'll see how it's legs are in the 3rd week.

Rockman33

First two week of some other PS5 games in 2024:

[PS5] Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth - 118,328

[PS5] Persona 3 Reload - 86,054

[PS5] Rise of the Ronin - 84,785

[PS5] Dragon's Dogma II - 77,764

[PS5] Granblue Fantasy Relink - 57,202

[PS5] Tekken 8 - 25,890
Thanks for the breakdown!

Madflavor

For two weeks those are very unimpressive numbers.

I hope the studio is going to okay now they're another victim of having poor sales after being moneyhatted :messenger_sad_relieved:

How is 100k in two weeks for a brand new IP on an underperforming console “unimpressive?” Did you lose your way to the circus?

That is very low.Pathetic low. This is nothing and in two weeks.Japanese don’t buy games.Millions of PS5 there and a quality game which is like devil may cry manages to only sell 70.000 in 2 weeks.Unbelievable.Why do they even have a PS5 as a nice accessory for the home?Yeah I know it’s physical still is nothing.

Last edited:

Madflavor

That is very low.Pathetic low. This is nothing and in two weeks.Japanese don’t buy games.Millions of PS5 there and a quality game which is like devil may cry manages to only sell 70.000 in 2 weeks.Unbelievable.Why do they even have a PS5 as a nice accessory for the home?

You need to understand some context here. First off this is not pathetically low. Factoring in digital, which tends to be roughly 30% of sales over in Japan, Stellar Blade likely sold roughly 100k in 10 days. Is that great? No, but it's a perfectly respectable amount for a brand new IP. Here are some things to consider:
  • There were widespread reports of many retail sites being out of stock with Stellar Blade. Some put up signs that customers were only allowed to 1 copy. Amazon JP just restoked not too long ago, the game went up to the top 5 sellers briefly, and then ran outta stock again this morning. This all points to Stellar Blade being undershipped in Japan.
  • The Japanese economy is not doing well overall. People are dealing with financial hard times over there, and aren't buying video games like they used to, let alone a brand new IP that's $70.
  • Nintendo and Mobile Gaming completely dominate the gaming scene in Japan. The PS5 overall is not doing well with Software sales.
Under the circumstances it's doing absolutely fine in Japan. The fact that Golden Week sales were underwhelming across the board speaks to the entire economic situation over in Japan, not just Stellar Blade.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Waiting for steam drop. Gonna rock hard with mods.
Game doesn't need mods.
Also the game is only Sony exclusive title, Shiftup isn't a first party studio either....yet.
A port is mostly likely at some point but I don't think falls until Sony's first party porting jurisdiction.
If there is a port it'll be done by Shiftup which they probably already have ready if they plan to do so.

Senhua

That is very low.Pathetic low. This is nothing and in two weeks.Japanese don’t buy games.Millions of PS5 there and a quality game which is like devil may cry manages to only sell 70.000 in 2 weeks.Unbelievable.Why do they even have a PS5 as a nice accessory for the home?Yeah I know it’s physical still is nothing.
Do you play the game?

1. SB is not a game like DMC/MGR/Bayonetta, FAR from it. It's more akin to the new God of War, an action-adventure story-driven game with some of Sekiro elements
2. This game is clearly targeted primarily at the US and European markets, so sales in these two regions will be the most important.
3. The console market in Japan and the rest of East Asia is very small. Those who do participate often prefer games that are more focused on gameplay and community than on story (EX: Monster Hunter)
4. Those who enjoy explicit content in their games typically lean towards gacha games. This game's level of explicit content clearly doesn't match that of typical gacha games.

As an example, this is CENSORED gacha games in Korea and Japan
cmmOsWW.png

Shakka43

For two weeks those are very unimpressive numbers.

I hope the studio is going to okay now they're another victim of having poor sales after being moneyhatted :messenger_sad_relieved:
Ohh you so wish for another publisher to share the same miserable failures as your dear ol Microsoft.

Top Bottom