• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Irwin dead at age 44. Killed by a.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Shit, this is terrible news. I guess you can only risk death so many times before it finally gets ya.

RIP Steve Irwin.

suaveric

MetalAlien said:
If she hears it over the radio or reads it in the paper, DAMN!

If she's so far out of reach that they can't get a hold of her, I doubt they'll be fresh newspapers around for her to read.

MIMIC

Banned
Kangu said:
"The giant stingray is one of the most dangerous animals in the entire ocean. Its razor sharp barb can impale human flesh like melted butter and kill almost anything instantaneously. Lets go see if we can catch one!"

I smell a South Park episode :lol

Well it's not being reported at all on any of the big news networks(CNN, Fox News, etc...) from what I'm seeing. Just the same Iran/Iraq crap that's been spewed the past several months...
Oddly strange considering how popular he is.

MIMIC

Banned
Almighty_Chocobo said:
Well it's not being reported at all on any of the big news networks(CNN, Fox News, etc...) from what I'm seeing. Just the same Iran/Iraq crap that's been spewed the past several months...

He's the leading story on their websites.

Almighty_Chocobo said:

www.cnn.com

MetalAlien

Banned
Almighty_Chocobo said:

I just saw it on the local news. Fox5, but even then they were saying they read it on the internet.

suaveric said:
If she's so far out of reach that they can't get a hold of her, I doubt they'll be fresh newspapers around for her to read.

Yea but we don't know how long she'll be out... when she is on her way back.. hopefully someone gets to her first.

Snaku

Banned
Himuro said:
This seems tame in comparison. You'd thing he die from something bigger than that. I expected epic proportions in regards to his death.

I don't know why people keep saying this. Stingray barbs, especially on large rays, are like spears or swords...coated in venom. That's not like being stung to death by a jellyfish or something. Taking one of those things to the heart would be extremely brutal.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I just can't believe it was a sting ray... all the experiences I've ever had with them they are really friendly and pretty smart animals, as long as you just pet or feed them nicely they will follow you around like a little lost puppy and beg for more...

I have to wonder what the hell he did to get this one to sting him in the chest. Maybe the thing was just crazy... I don't know. It truly is a freak thing, I mean, how often do you hear about people dying from a stingray strike? Never.

Snaku said:
I don't know why people keep saying this. Stingray barbs, especially on large rays, are like spears or swords...coated in venom. That's not like being stung to death by a jellyfish or something. Taking one of those things to the heart would be extremely brutal.
yeah except stingrays don't really go around stinging people all that often, especially fatally...

MIMIC

Banned
cloudwalking said:
I just can't believe it was a sting ray... all the experiences I've ever had with them they are really friendly and pretty smart animals, as long as you just pet or feed them nicely they will follow you around like a little lost puppy and beg for more...

We're talking about the Croc Hunter, here. :)

Jeff-DSA

That honestly makes me sad...I'll make sure to catch the Animal Planet tribute to Steve that's sure to roll around.

Snaku

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
yeah except stingrays don't really go around stinging people all that often, especially fatally...

It happens more often than you'd think. Mostly people being stung in the leg when stepping on them while they're burried in sand. While there aren't a lot of deaths (most come from alergic reaction), I could totally see how this could happen if Steve handled it in a way that made it feel threatened. He was probably holding it up for the camera, and the ray probably didn't like it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Oh man that sucks.

Its one of those things, you knew it was gonna happen sooner or later but at the same time never really expected it to.

Meier

giant_stingray.jpg

69048871_3e54a4d023_o.jpg

Jeez... the giant ones are indeed giant.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Almighty_Chocobo said:
I hope not, that certainly isn't what Irwin would have wanted. =(

if this gains speed in the press about a stingray KILLING a celebrity-ish person, i think it'll spark some sort of unwarranted reaction against the stingrays. they'd become the new shark

Bildocube

Wow this is really shocking - but as my friend just said "if you are gonna play with fire eventually you are gonna get burned." I feel horrible for his family and friends - and I was very entertained by his TV programs. Sucks.. RIP.

Shawn128 and Miguel -
You guys are such ****ing assholes, you made me laugh so hard - I feel horrible for that. :lol :lol

Fusebox

Banned
The one in that top pic is bigger than any I've seen in real life but I've swum with ones close to the size of the one in the bottom pic, thats an average size adult for some areas along the coast.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
man, I hate people who pass judgement on this shit. "Oh, well he spent his life doing it, he deserved it."

do people somehow suddenly feel better once they chime in their judgement of someone?

the thing that gets me pissed the most is that these people who say this shit are ****ing nobodies. they'll never even amount to half the man that the person who died is... and all he did was ****ing play with crocodiles. so who's really got the lesser lot right now?

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
man, I hate people who pass judgement on this shit. "Oh, well he spent his life doing it, he deserved it."

do people somehow suddenly feel better once they chime in their judgement of someone?

the thing that gets me pissed the most is that these people who say this shit are ****ing nobodies. they'll never even amount to half the man that the person who died is... and all he did was ****ing play with crocodiles. so who's really got the lesser lot right now?

I don't think anybody said that he DESERVED it...just that it was going to happen sooner or later.

Raistlin

It really ****ing bothers me that the goddamn media can't keep their dirty lips shut until his wife has been told.

Nice journalistic ethics cocksuckers.

:(

davepoobond said:
if this gains speed in the press about a stingray KILLING a celebrity-ish person, i think it'll spark some sort of unwarranted reaction against the stingrays. they'd become the new shark

I have a hard time imagining that... Just about everybody has seen videos of people swimming with stringrays without problems and realize that they're not normally violent creatures.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
whytemyke said:

He didn't deserve it, but with his profession, HOW he died comes as little surprise, it's still a tragedy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
that's so ****ing weird

doesnt it seem like he would know better though? i wouldnt think he would let a stingray stab him like that. heh

Zaptruder

Banned
It's a bit weird... Steve Irwin has always been a much bigger american celeb than an aussie one.

But no doubt they'll be spinning it to make it sound like a true blue aussie hero on the news networks for the next few weeks to come.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
MIMIC said:
I don't think anybody said that he DESERVED it...just that it was going to happen sooner or later.
no, my buddy said it to me, and this is the only place that i'm near where there's active convo going on about him so I figured i'd vent. :lol sorry. livejournal was down haha

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Himuro said:
Why would you care? She's going to find out anyways.
it'd be better to come from a loved one than to turn on the news and see that he's dead.

or, you know... get a smoke signal or whatever they do in tanzanzia.

MIMIC

Banned
whytemyke said:
no, my buddy said it to me, and this is the only place that i'm near where there's active convo going on about him so I figured i'd vent. :lol sorry. livejournal was down haha

Oh :lol

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Almighty_Chocobo said:
I have a hard time imagining that... Just about everybody has seen videos of people swimming with stringrays without problems and realize that they're not normally violent creatures.

I love stingrays, they're really funny and interesting animals... every chance I get to interact with them, pet or feed them, I take it, but I still notice that there are a lot of people who are really scared of them.

Onix said:
It really ****ing bothers me that the goddamn media can't keep their dirty lips shut until his wife has been told.

Nice journalistic ethics cocksuckers.

:(

Didn't somebody say a bit earlier that his family has been notified?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom