• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.
KI on PC will do just fine. Not like it's a blockbuster to begin with. Yes, you have to purchase characters and can't unlock them in game but you can buy Ultra packs of Season 1, 2 or 3 characters in one go.

It's also cross-buy so if you own any of it on XB1 then you automatically get it on W10.

Oh, that's a cool incentive. Thanks for the info.

DannyDanger

Gold Member
But don't they have the Only On Playstation for full exclusives

if so i don't see the problem with this... Ppl should be smart enough to realize there's a difference.

But does it really matter at the end of the day, most ppl interested in the PC version wont be going to retail store anyway

Not to mention if they were going to get it for pc at retail, they wouldnt be lookin at the ps4 case anyway

Bergerac

The game is on PC that's why, even though it's not a "console", the game is still there. Most of people that are not informed and read this will really think that the game is not on PC.

I'm sure that'll massively confuse all those PC players browsing the PS4 games section.

That can only selectively read.

That, as already stated, would know about SFV being on PC.

Should they want to buy it on PC.

What a non point.

"PS4 Console Exclusive Game"

PS4 = Playstation 4
Console = Home Gaming Device
Exclusive = Limited to said console
Game = This game, being Street Fighter 5

Why is this thread 10 pages?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

PS4 = Playstation 4

raw

Come on people don't come up with "salt", how can I be salty ? I will soon have a PS4 and I already a PC ready for Street Fighter V. I don't give a damn about Xbox One.

I just think that it's misleading not dishonest but really misleading. Some people already except me seems already confused by this.

I think they should just not put something first of all. All these not-so-exclusivities thing start to become really boring.

But yeah you're right about PC Gamer shoping most of the time on steam
The reason people are taking issue with your outrage is that you're concerned about it confusing a player base that wouldn't purchase it on the PC to begin with, even if they knew. You know, casual console gamers that don't have a gaming PC at all. On top of that, PC gamers are very well informed- they'll know this game is out on PC by now anyway. That label isn't going to trick a single PC gamer worth their weight in salt. Exactly zero PC sales will be lost as a result of this branding.

As mentioned above, this branding is primarily targeted at informing current/potential XB1/WiiU owners that "they ain't gettin this shit"

PS4 = Playstation 4

Why is this thread 10 pages?
Because it is not limited to said console. It is limited to said device when it comes to consoles. The sneakiness of the statement is highlighted by specific newline insertion between "console" and "exclusive".

Consider this sentence: With exception of special promotions, sandwich named McGreek is only available in McDonald's in Greece.
Now consider this sentence: Xenoblade was only available in GameStop in America.

I don't know much about formal English, but informally both of this sentences seem correct to me, while they cover a completely different clause relationship.

Now for all people claiming that's not an issue because someone browsing PS4 shelf doesn't care about PC in the first place, well maybe they don't know PC is a thing (that does games and is not considered a console)? The "only on 360 and Windows" label is different for obvious reasons (though MS is in a different situation for obvious reasons).

The reason people are taking issue with your outrage is that you're concerned about it confusing a player base that wouldn't purchase it on the PC to begin with, even if they knew. You know, casual console gamers that don't have a gaming PC at all. On top of that, PC gamers are very well informed- they'll know this game is out on PC by now anyway. That label isn't going to trick a single PC gamer worth their weight in salt. Exactly zero PC sales will be lost as a result of this branding.

As mentioned above, this branding is primarily targeted at informing current/potential XB1/WiiU owners that "they ain't gettin this shit"

Preach.

JordanN

Banned

Now I want to see that on the box.

ZE8Pqmh.jpg

GeoNeo

I disagree.
This a bloody fucking outrage. Sony and Capcom should not be allowed to pull this type of bullshit. It hurts the buyer.

Come on how could you have boxart of Ryu only with no Chun Li.

EagleEyes

What about my situation? I have an Alienware alpha that is a console PC and sits right next to my Xbox One and PS4. When I fire up SFV on my 60" TV on my Alpha and play it with my Xbox One Elite controller I can officially call Sony a liar. :p

Did Rise of the Tomb Raider had a "Only on Xbox" tag printed on its box art?

I know Microsoft has had "Only on" tags on other timed exclusives before like Bioshock so it wouldn't be just Sony using dubious marketing for this kind of thing. And even then I think "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" is as clear as day.

Because it is not limited to said console. It is limited to said device when it comes to consoles. The sneakiness of the statement is highlighted by specific newline insertion between "console" and "exclusive".

Consider this sentence: With exception of special promotions, sandwich named McGreek is only available in McDonald's in Greece.
Now consider this sentence: Xenoblade was only available in GameStop in America.

I don't know much about formal English, but informally both of this sentences seem correct to me, while they cover a completely different clause relationship.

Now for all people claiming that's not an issue because someone browsing PS4 shelf doesn't care about PC in the first place, well maybe they don't know PC is a thing (that is not considered a console)? The "only on 360 and Windows" label is different for obvious reasons (though MS is in a different situation for obvious reasons).

PCs aren't and have never been described as a console. They've been described as a platform, but never a console. There's a very obvious difference, and even the most casual of fans understand that, primarily because a console is not a modifiable box.

Part of the problem people are attributing to this situation is the possible lack of clarity that a more casual gamer might get from this advert. Let's say this person, who apparently has never seen or heard about the Street Fighter situation (despite it being on Facebook, major publications that aren't just gaming, wikipedia, etc), sees this and is confused.

What do you think this marginally small number of gamers will do?

Will they:

A. Go online to check and see if it truly is exclusive to the PS4 platform and nothing else?
B. Go on about their day, unfazed by the confusion and continue to live their life in ignorance of an item they were never going to buy in the first place?
C. Break down, cry, and automatically assume that the PS4 is the only place to play SFV?

If you guessed A and B, you'd be correct! See, humans, with their fancy smart phones, look up everything. Next time you get in an argument with someone, watch as they whip out their Googles and prove you right or wrong. Even the slightest irritation causes someone to check up with a quick search.

In fact, I do it for things I don't know shit about all the time. I would imagine any normal human being with access to the internet at some point during the day does the same thing too. Gamers aren't special snowflakes in this regard - we are all in the same pit.

So, this small subset of people have little to no impact. Could it have been worded better? Probably. But to act as if this is some sneaky, underhanded tactic that will confuse the masses into buying only the PS4 version or push them away is silly.

Edit: And please, let's not use this topic as a barometer for whether there is real confusion or not. Many of the people here are outright concern trolling, and when presented with a rebuttal, quickly escape into more silliness and mental gymnastics to last for days.

What about my situation? I have an Alienware alpha that is a console PC and sits right next to my Xbox One and PS4. When I fire up SFV on my 60" TV on my Alpha and play it with my Xbox One Elite controller I can officially call Sony a liar. :p

Well, they would be if they said "Xbox Controllers Not Allowed Even On PC Version", or "PS4 Only No PC Version Ever". But that's not being said here.

muteki

This a bloody fucking outrage. Sony and Capcom should not be allowed to pull this type of bullshit. It hurts the buyer.

Come on how could you have boxart of Ryu only with no Chun Li.

Well, if imports are your thing, there is this:

Scratch that, beaten handily.

I'm surprised a 3rd party company wouldn't want it to be clear what platforms it's available on in full.

"PS4 & PC EXCLUSIVE" would make more sense and avoid all confusion.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm surprised a 3rd party company wouldn't want it to be clear what platforms it's available on in full.

"PS4 & PC EXCLUSIVE" would make more sense and avoid all confusion.

But why would Sony advertise for PC on the PS4's box? Beyond that, don't you see the irony in that phrase? :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The actually put the word "console" in the branding?

Yeah, the people worried about PC have no leg to stand on. I'm sure they could have gotten away with just saying PS4 exlcusive. The fact that they even say console is an acknowledgment of it being just about consoles.

To anyone somehow upset about this: It is console exclusive to PS4....what's not to like? It's the truth. Xbox One games have a much worse black banner that feels thrown on top of the artwork, at least this stays out of the way:
EG2rbbF.png

Gestault

To anyone somehow upset about this: It is console exclusive to PS4....what's not to like? It's the truth. Xbox One games have a much worse black banner that feels thrown on top of the artwork, at least this stays out of the way:
EG2rbbF.png

Opinions and all that, but aesthetically, I find the plain text in the black divider less disruptive than the right-justified cluster of "exciting" typography and symbols.

Edit: Wait, the way I'm reading your posts, it seems to say that example is both better and worse. I'm gonna chalk this up to confusion for me.

Fredrik

Interesting thought. What exactly is the real definition of a video game console?
The lines are definitely crossing nowadays. Steam Link is a marvelous little box too, connecting a wireless 360 controller with rotating Dpad has now made my PC the most awesome console ever, I'm sitting in the couch with a wireless controller playing multiplats at 60fps on my TV with every gfx setting on ultra and it's dead silent. Feels just like any other console. Just a whole lot better and less noisy.

Now for all people claiming that's not an issue because someone browsing PS4 shelf doesn't care about PC in the first place, well maybe they don't know PC is a thing (that does games and is not considered a console)? The "only on 360 and Windows" label is different for obvious reasons (though MS is in a different situation for obvious reasons).
What console can I play Street Fight V on?

Opinions and all that, but aesthetically, I find the plain text in the black divider less disruptive than the right-justified cluster of "exciting" typography and symbols.

Edit: Wait, the way I'm reading your posts, it seems to say that example is both better and worse. I'm gonna chalk this up to confusion for me.

Oops sorry I could have written that a bit better.

I think it looks good. I like how it's arranged, I like the color and the contrast, I like its position, it's all very classy. I'm not even sure how it's confusing, it says it is a console exclusive which it is because, you know, it's exclusive to PS4 among consoles. If you guys want fugly PS boxart, look no further than the PS3 the Best shit that happened in Japan:

81nxVDtubfL._SX425_.jpg

Now that is indefensible.

Gestault

The only way I can imagine this being confusing is if there's a different console which SFV will be released for. My understanding is that isn't the case.

Alienous

The only way I can imagine this being confusing is if there's a different console which SFV will be released for. My understanding is that isn't the case.

Why would anyone read it that way if they didn't already know that was the case?

Why wouldn't you read it as 'Exclusive to the PS4 Console'.

Kayant

Which is exactly what the statement is saying.
Mainly if you look at it, it was done because fitting it all on one line with the current font + PS buttons at the side would look ugly/likely overlap the PS4 logo.

Also PS4 CONSOLE on its own doesn't mean anything without the context of the next line which is why it's bold to signify what kind of exclusive it is.

Top Bottom