• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Piggus

I can't believe people still believe Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter V EX: Hyper-Turbo Edition DX has a chance of coming to Xbox. Even if it got 30 updated version, none are going anywhere else but Playstation and PC.

Even still, who exactly is this confusing though? Xbox and Nintendo owners aren't getting the game, so that leaves PC. And like I said, I don't think most with a capable PC who are also interested in SFV are unaware of it coming to PC. So I can't see where people are being mislead.

It's MGS4 all over again. Shit is hilarious.

synce

Misleading and stupid label, but I doubt it'll make a difference either way. Most people tend to play fighters on consoles for whatever reason.

Watching the last The Divison trailer made me think about this thread. Marketing deal is a classic thing, but here in addition to the Xbox logo at the opening of the video, only the Xbox One packshot is shown at the end. This is the Ubisoft channel of course, not the Microsoft one. The description of the video also avoid carefully to mention PC and PS4. If we talk about misleading people, this is a better case to me than the sticker on the SF V packshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNIji2oVo9w

Misleading and stupid label, but I doubt it'll make a difference either way. Most people tend to play fighters on consoles for whatever reason.

I doubt you'll be seeing a PC at evo and other major tournaments at least. PS4 will be the major competitive platform for SFV, like 360 was for SFIV.

N.Domixis

Banned
That doesn't even make sense. Horrible example.

"I never said she stole my wallet."

That one would be a much better example.

Nobody. I was just stating my opinion that they (Sony) knew what they were doing with the verbiage. I agree with you about PC players buying this game most likely are those with PC rigs built for gaming or at least somewhat interested in the gaming world in general.
Now that you mention it's hard to understand. I was picturing two people in the foreground, Harry and someone else talking and the third,Bob, shooting in the background. The third person gets distracted after saying Harry, than Bob shoots.
The other meaning is obvious.

Now that you mention it's hard to understand. I was picturing two people in the foreground, Harry and someone else talking and the third,Bob, shooting in the background. The third person gets distracted after saying Harry, than Bob shoots.
The other meaning is obvious.

Did Bob shoot Nice Guy Eddie?

So then what's the issue with the branding?
It may confuse the hypothetical (and entirely nonexistent) PC causal gamer who does no research whatsoever on SFV and happens to be walking through a store to chance upon this game, where he will see PS4 CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE on the logo and decide to buy it on the spot, possibly along with a new PS4. He will then return home to his casual PC with a 570 in it, yknow cuz casuals always buy Nvidia and have decent gaming rigs sitting around, where he will FINALLY log into steam and see that Duplicitous, Arrogant Sony lied to him.

Think of the poor casual PC gamers who never buy their games on steam or do any kind of research and happen to have rigs built for gaming on the PC!

Ivan 3414

If you've ever read a GameStop customer topic, or been to a GameStop period and heard some of the customers ask questions...

I don't understand how it is any question for anyone here why the label could be considered, at the very least, misleading.

StoopKid

If you've ever read a GameStop customer topic, or been to a GameStop period and heard some of the customers ask questions...

I don't understand how it is any question for anyone here why the label could be considered, at the very least, misleading.

Because we all know pc games don't sell well at retail compared to steam.

Just a dumb outrage that will effect a small number of people.

Aeqvitas

Watching the last The Divison trailer made me think about this thread. Marketing deal is a classic thing, but here in addition to the Xbox logo at the opening of the video, only the Xbox One packshot is shown at the end. This is the Ubisoft channel of course, not the Microsoft one. The description of the video also avoid carefully to mention PC and PS4. If we talk about misleading people, this is a better case to me than the sticker on the SF V packshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNIji2oVo9w

You deal realize every Sony marketing deal does the exact same thing right? I see commercials for CoD, Destiny, etc, all make no mention of the other versions. Standard stuff.

Windforce

I see no problem with the branding.

How else could it be handled? No exclusivity label at all? No way Sony would miss the bragging rights on a title this huge.

Because it is not limited to said console. It is limited to said device when it comes to consoles. The sneakiness of the statement is highlighted by specific newline insertion between "console" and "exclusive".

Consider this sentence: With exception of special promotions, sandwich named McGreek is only available in McDonald's in Greece.
Now consider this sentence: Xenoblade was only available in GameStop in America.

I don't know much about formal English, but informally both of this sentences seem correct to me, while they cover a completely different clause relationship.

Now for all people claiming that's not an issue because someone browsing PS4 shelf doesn't care about PC in the first place, well maybe they don't know PC is a thing (that does games and is not considered a console)? The "only on 360 and Windows" label is different for obvious reasons (though MS is in a different situation for obvious reasons).

Smh...sometimes, Gaf, disappoints...

Can't believe this much discussion is taking place over a box phrase...Sheesh, go play something peeps!

Because it is not limited to said console.

PC is not a video game console. It's a personal computer. You can build them with a focus on running video game software, but they are not single pieces of hardware designed to play video games. It's a platform pure and simple.

Sony are right in their branding. For full disclosure they should state "also on PC" but we all know why they don't.

crash-14

People should understand that this type of things aren't meant to be for people like us. It's for the average consumer that doesn't follow game news regular and goes right to the store. Also for parent's buying things for their kids.

Stupid and ugly, get that shit off my box Sony.

it could be worse
k2-_a7571a1b-2602-477d-827f-a7e619302257.v1.jpg

The distinction makes me want to throw up but whatever sells a few more copies I guess.

It's not like someone could make the mistake of thinking it's on another console when only the PS4 version exists, so I fail to see the point beyond touting your exclusive library to those who care.

joecanada

Stupid and ugly, get that shit off my box Sony.

seriously if you want some type of collectors edition then buy a box set or whatever.
I mean I get that people may not want this type of stuff on the box but in no universe ever are they going to go through so much trouble to secure games and then not advertise it. Even suggesting this is a waste of time.

I'd put a picture of Xbox with the big red X on it like a no smoking sign lol.

PC is not a video game console. It's a personal computer. You can build them with a focus on running video game software, but they are not single pieces of hardware designed to play video games. It's a platform pure and simple.

Sony are right in their branding. For full disclosure they should state "also on PC" but we all know why they don't.

I'm not arguing PC is a console. I'm arguing that arguing that "SF5 is limited to PS4 console" is comparable with arguing that, at least from what I've seen, "Coke consumer sales are limited to cans 330 ml or smaller", because that obviously says nothing about not-cans, including 500/1000/2000 ml bottles.

If Sony wrote "NOT ON OTHER CONSOLES" there then I'd be fine with it.

If Sony wrote "NOT ON OTHER CONSOLES" there then I'd be fine with it.

Sadly it's wording that is technically correct. In the console space PS4 has exclusivity so its appropriate, however murky it is in a wider sense.

Don't hate the debate, hate the English language.

It's not a Sony game. It's a Capcom game. Or does Capcom not have any say about how the box reads for their game?

I'm sure they can make it work if they wanted to. If you're going to start the process, you mine as well be through or not do it at all. If you're a 3rd party, it's in your best interests for people to know all the places they can play your game at every reasonable opportunity.

Ono told Xbox gamers that wanted to play SFV to save up for a PS4. I don't think Capcom is concerned with the branding at all. The people that want this game on PC will get it there.

ethomaz

Banned
Killer Instinct was a strategic move on part of MS to move more consoles and establish a bigger following in the FGC. Like I said lets not have a pissing contest we both know SF5 is the king of the hill. This move is about perception. MS was the dominant fighting game console last gen for one reason. The online was more stable. The perception from many in the fighting community was that 360 was a better console for fighting games. I have to agree with that notion. SF5 as an exclusive changes the conversation totally.
Input lag was the issue not the online lol
Both online was good for SFIV but 360 had better input lag.

Skux

Consumers these days, especially ones for tech products, are far more likely to do their research and check out reviews and social media on products they're interested in.

People go online to check out restaurants and movies before they go out, and yet people still believe that they won't be able to understand what a console exclusive is?

People are crazy in this thread. I think it's one of the least offensive "only on" labels I've seen, and it's more honest than the one's that were blatantly untrue in the past.

If Sony were actually insecure about this, the game would be a true PS4 exclusive. I'm glad they were open to allowing the game on PC as well, and I'm happy that Microsoft is moving in this direction as well it seems. If a game is a point of difference to your competitors console that has 98% the same titles, go ahead and advertise it!

And people STILL think that some version of this is coming to Xbox One? Let. It. Go.

Jal

Looks fine, though they should drop the PS logo and just have PS4. Put the PS logo on the spine and/or back.

Freeman

Banned
Unnecessary and not very elegant. Console exclusive term should be reserved for PR statements if they are asked about it by the press, it should not be on press conferences or game boxes.

It really doesn't matter tho.

Having the game as a console exclusive for the PS4 and not a making a big fuss out of it would be a stronger statement.

DR2K

Banned
Who is being mislead by this and what is going to happen if they are mislead? They just going to happen to have a high duty gaming rig available and buy the PS4 version by accident?

ethomaz

Banned
Unnecessary and not very elegant. Console exclusive term should be reserved for PR statements if they are asked about it by the press, it should not be on press conferences or game boxes.

It really doesn't matter tho.

Having the game as a console exclusive for the PS4 and not a making a big fuss out of it would be a stronger statement.
I strong disagree... more clear = better.
So they need to put in all ads and stuff to make clear to the consumer.

Stop the bullshit and spins.

Top Bottom