• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

Man I was ASS tonight. Capcom needs to fix that 8f window, I need 10 frames at LEAST, no excuses.

In all seriousness I'm ready for Ibuki. Laura's rangeless normals aren't doing it for me anymore, and I gotta have somebody besides Cammy.

mbpm1

Teleport matches are hilarious

I had one just now where I saw the guy on the ground, then halfway in the air, then behind me, for like 10 seconds all while attacking me. Then finally the match "resolved" with both of us bouncing around like DBZ characters for like 5 seconds and only ended when somebody died.

Astrael

I'll invite in a sec.

Fun stuff Phazon, I'm glad I did a little better vs your Alex this time than last, but man when I guess wrong I guess wrong hard haha. My execution was awful that set though, every time I CA'd I swear I was just going for a tenko :<

Teleport matches are hilarious

I had one just now where I saw the guy on the ground, then halfway in the air, then behind me, for like 10 seconds all while attacking me. Then finally the match "resolved" with both of us bouncing around like DBZ characters for like 5 seconds and only ended when somebody died.
Was it a 5 bar match tho

robo_qwop

What is the situation? Are you in the corner or is the opponent? Is this on wake-up? Are they doing any strings before the jump?

When I'm applying pressure in the corner, trying for meaty or dash in throw, I get neutral jumped on every time, negating what i thought was the whole point of getting corner positioning.

EDIT: thanks to those who responded. I'll take note.

Zackat

Stopping for a day or two or a week is the sweet spot

Builds up the addiction for that optimal period

Yeah I have found that when I take off for about 3-5 days and come back I go on a big win streak. I think I just kind of solidify all the strategies in my head and am not bogged down on my own play at all. Palette cleanser, if you will.

But a month will just make you rusty.

GGs Astrael. Definitely seeing improvements in your game. I really liked how used tenko and v-skill to shut down my elbows and HK. In the first set you properly punished my command grab, so in the next set I started throwing more and if you try to jump that I have time to jab you out. One big thing I noticed is most of the jump in mk's you landed, you would immediately go into throw(I did not tech these enough) Karin has big dmg, so you're sacrificing a lot by not doing a jump in combo.

mbpm1

When I'm applying pressure in the corner, trying for meaty or dash in throw, I get neutral jumped on every time, negating what i thought was the whole point of getting corner positioning.

Then your approaches are too predictably timed. Slow it down/mix it up.

Astrael

GGs Astrael. Definitely seeing improvements in your game. I really liked how used tenko and v-skill to shut down my elbows and HK. In the first set you properly punished my command grab, so in the next set I started throwing more and if you try to jump that I have time to jab you out. One big thing I noticed is most of the jump in mk's you landed, you would immediately go into throw(I did not tech these enough) Karin has big dmg, so you're sacrificing a lot by not doing a jump in combo.

Yeah it's especially bad when I have a confirmed hit on jump in and I still go for grabs, I'm not sure why I got into that habit but I'm going to focus on fixing that part of my game next. I did see you were punishing my neutral jumps when I tried to avoid grabs with Alex's standing jab, which just put me in a worse spot than I was trying to get out of, but noticed a bit too late in the set. At the very least, I can clearly see the spots I can improve and that makes me happy. :)

Necali has a meterless DP and a good jab. I don't mind them anti airing as much as it looks incredibly wonky that a jab is covering both sides likes Alex's jab. It's just a very reliable, easy to use get off me tool. DPs have risks involved with using them.

To be honest I'm not a fan of normals being so good at anti airing cross ups either. I like the fact that they're great anti airs, but if you let someone get in that space for a cross up and you don't react with a dash under or air to air them then I don't think your anti air normal should save you from having to block a cross up. For people who play DP characters and can do auto correct DP on reaction, good for them. I have no problem with that.

Edgeward

Not one to toot my horn but it feels satisfying when you can play footsies in a pressure situation and do exactly what you wanted to do

cDwitZF.gif

1, your meaty timing is wrong. If they are able to neutral jump then you are late.

2, you don't need to raw throw. You can tick throw them. Either land a jumping light or a stand/crouch light (once you have the meaty timing down) and that will register a hit or block but will not generate enough hit/block stun so that when you do your throw almost right after it will connect

Would you say the fighting game community / tournaments has increased in size for SF5?

Like will there be more players and entrants in general for tournaments for SF5?

hamchan

Would you say the fighting game community / tournaments has increased in size for SF5?

Like will there be more players and entrants in general for tournaments for SF5?

Yes, not only because it's a new game but also because the acceptance and visibility of competitive games in general has risen so much in the half decade.

Zissou

What's the problem with jabs anti-airing cross-up attempts?

You forcing the game to have less lag by turning off vsync and using a gsync monitor is exactly why this argument is silly. Both platforms run pretty much identically unless you essentially mod the PC version, and having to mod a game to force it to run more to your liking is a poor argument to determine what should be considered the standard.

Also, when did 4-5 ms of input delay become a standard anyway? I was under the impression that all games had different amounts of delay, and from what we've been hearing it sounds like Capcom made a conscious decision to have SFV run with 8 frames of delay. That's just how the game plays, and it's weird that people who don't like it are demanding it play more like other games instead of just dealing with the differences. Once again, I say all this assuming this was a deliberate decision by Capcom, since things would obviously be different if it seemed like it was all a mistake that the game wasn't balanced around.

8F of input lag is a far cry from 4-5ms though.

Hutchie

I like what capcom have done with the game offline in a sense. Im learning about characters outside my mains than ever before. The only problem is i will not be good enough with them to finish survival hard and extreme to get fight monies! Oh well will wait for daily challenges then jump online!

I like what capcom have done with the game offline in a sense. Im learning about characters outside my mains than ever before. The only problem is i will not be good enough with them to finish survival hard and extreme to get fight monies! Oh well will wait for daily challenges then jump online!
Yeah, the only way to actually get to a million (Close really) without doing hard/extreme survival with everyone is ranking all your characters up to 40/50 in casual mode.

We need daily challenges asap

LakeEarth

Game matched me up with a bronze player (I'm Gold). Very strange, I've only seen it go as low as Ultra-Bronze, not straight bronze. I felt bad, and gave him a round in each match.

I don't know what I was doing different, but I was doing great last night. I broke away from the ultra-silver / gold threshold and am sitting in the 4700+ LP region which is my highest ever. I wasn't playing at 11pm, so maybe my reads and my Alex mixups were more on point than usual.

Birdie is so much fun. Just basic buttons and basic gameplay. Kinda wish he had a more straight forward way of getting past fireballs but it's still good.

EDIT: And Birdie's win quote against Alex is God like.

FACE

Banned
Not one to toot my horn but it feels satisfying when you can play footsies in a pressure situation and do exactly what you wanted to do

http://i.imgur.com/cDwitZF.gif[img]
[/QUOTE]

But I thought you couldn't whiff punish in SF5 because of the lag!

Watching LPN play Birdie in one of the tournies was great. That dude can put in work, he just needs to not crack so much. He'd freak out and waste meter on such obviously telegraphed stuff, but man, when he didn't, he'd carry dudes to the corner.

I'll never go back to him, but it was nice seeing that character put in good work.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
After not being able get matches all night I think 'why not try to get ken's colors?'. Get up to 43 on first try and then get DC'd. Alright video game.

LakeEarth

Watching LPN play Birdie in one of the tournies was great. That dude can put in work, he just needs to not crack so much. He'd freak out and waste meter on such obviously telegraphed stuff, but man, when he didn't, he'd carry dudes to the corner.

I'll never go back to him, but it was nice seeing that character put in good work.

I want to go back to Birdie because of him. I really want to emulate some of the things he does. As soon as they lock up Alex behind the FM paywall, I'll be back on the Birdie crew.

Speaking of FM, it's been a few months now. Has anyone figured out yet if the million FM trophy is lifetime FM, and allows you to spend the money without ruining it?

LakeEarth

My complaint is specifically when I bait a throw whiff (or something similarly laggy) and still get anti-air jabbed. Getting punished and put into a mixup for baiting something is dumb.

Yeah in this game, neutral jumping a throw is not a good option. Which encourages you to tech. Which gets you owned by command throws. It's a fun little guessing game they've included in this one.

At least all command throws are punishable as shit. In 3rd Strike, Makoto's command throw would recover before you landed with most characters. And this is a command throw that could lead to 100% stun combos.

LakeEarth

I'm actually not a fan of either SF3 or SF4 Ibuki, and is definitely the DLC character I look forward to the least. However, they have been changing up characters a bit, so I'll give her a fair shake. I just don't gravitate toward the fast mixup characters with no health.

Zissou

My complaint is specifically when I bait a throw whiff (or something similarly laggy) and still get anti-air jabbed. Getting punished and put into a mixup for baiting something is dumb.

If you think they're gonna throw, why not just wait on the ground out of throw range and punish the whiff (or backdash when you expect the throw)?

Edzi

Attempted to learn Laura a bit last night due to inspiration from Miguel Rossington, but I'm having trouble figuring how how exactly to play her. She doesn't really seem to have any long block strings to pressure or confirm with, but she seemed fun enough in my short time with her in training so I might stick with her for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom