• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice

Attempted to learn Laura a bit last night due to inspiration from Miguel Rossington, but I'm having trouble figuring how how exactly to play her. She doesn't really seem to have any long block strings to pressure or confirm with, but she seemed fun enough in my short time with her in training so I might stick with her for a bit.
She can only really get long block strings by burning meter for ex fireball. It's a lot of training the opponent and baiting bad buttons or reversals by using her backdash v-skill to evade them and going in for a punish. In a way, you gain frame or positional advantage by not just hitting them or getting a throw but, by making then throw out something unsafe. Once that happens you can put them in the blender.

i think the game freezing on the rematch screen is an exploit.

What's the problem with jabs anti-airing cross-up attempts?

You just answer your own question. There is really no point of using any other AA move when they have start up and potentially trading while with jabs you don't have to worry and is the best way to hit players when they neutral jump out of a grab.

If you think they're gonna throw, why not just wait on the ground out of throw range and punish the whiff (or backdash when you expect the throw)?

What if it's playing against R.Mika player? The only option you have is to jump if they like pressing light normals.

Daily Challenges should also be a way of getting colors. Like, there's character specific challenges (Kinda like RE Rev2) that you unlock shit for the characters if you complete them.

Ex: Here's a challenge for Guile. If you complete it. Here's color 7.

I hate getting colors through Survival.

Shadoken

MKX had story mode only characters

I know that, I'm just confused as to how an NPC reveal would go with an actual playable character reveal.

I'm ready for all of this.

As for the non playable character, could be a cameo the way Viper/Shazam/etc are in the story stills. If Ibuki is the character, maybe Guy, Elena or... sleeper pick here, Geki.

By Non-playable I dont think he means Story-mode only characters. It could very well be Juri,Rog or Urien. Just that they will appear in Story mode but non-playable for now.

Meaty fireball combos baby

68j6Zz.gif

SmokeMaxX

If you think they're gonna throw, why not just wait on the ground out of throw range and punish the whiff (or backdash when you expect the throw)?
Backdashing to avoid the throw doesn't really do anything. I just lose space and don't get a punish anyway, so again I get penalized for baiting a throw.
I play Birdie so it's a bit harder to set the spacing when his back walk speed is so much slower than 90% of the cast's forward walk speed.
I don't even care if I hit the opponent during a neutral jump or cross-up when they whiff the throw; I just wish they would either have to fear getting hit or be forced to block.
Or jump just a frame or two later.
Well that doesn't work. I'll just get anti-aired a frame or two later?

Anyone know what Viscant's reacting to on Twitter re: Ibuki?

Some random dude says Ibuki reveal next week, Viscant hates anime

Stop. pls.

Assuming this only works on back recovery?

I was specifically messing with anti back recovery setups(because all my reliable frame perfect stuff is for quick rise right now), but you can actually just react to your opponent's wakeup in the corner if you want to do a meaty fireball.

myco666

God. People holding back constantly and walking fullscreen backwards is driving me nuts.

I want to go back to Birdie because of him. I really want to emulate some of the things he does. As soon as they lock up Alex behind the FM paywall, I'll be back on the Birdie crew.

Speaking of FM, it's been a few months now. Has anyone figured out yet if the million FM trophy is lifetime FM, and allows you to spend the money without ruining it?

According to some posts at GFaqs, Steam and playstationtrophies it is cumulative as they have gotten the trophy/achievement with less than 1 million FM after spending some of it. Haven't tested it myself since I am still nowhere near that.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Goddamn it, lost my only 15LP, back to 0 again. I'm not getting past rookie ever. And I can't get past Bison on Normal with Laura.

myco666

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204214449]Isn't that extremely good for you?[/QUOTE]

If I was more patient and better player yes. Now I start doing dumb things because of it and easily just kill myself.

mbpm1

Backdashing to avoid the throw doesn't really do anything. I just lose space and don't get a punish anyway, so again I get penalized for baiting a throw.
I play Birdie so it's a bit harder to set the spacing when his back walk speed is so much slower than 90% of the cast's forward walk speed.
I don't even care if I hit the opponent during a neutral jump or cross-up when they whiff the throw; I just wish they would either have to fear getting hit or be forced to block.

what's wrong with meatying them then

God. People holding back constantly and walking fullscreen backwards is driving me nuts.

call that out with them dash up sweeps

You either need to hit confirm with a low or even make a hard read and do something that's possibly unsafe if blocked low. I've remember encountering a few players like this. The thing is that they would block low at first and then start walking backwards. So things like jab > throw would whiff. I had enough of it and started doing cr. Jab > cr. MK > tatsu until they showed me they would keep blocking low. Don't be afraid to make those commitments once or twice and see how they react to it.

Goddamn it, lost my only 15LP, back to 0 again. I'm not getting past rookie ever. And I can't get past Bison on Normal with Laura.
The keys to beating CPU Bison are punishes. Don't try to rush him. Just wait until he does his kick specials or sliding heavy kick. Punish accordingly with raw CA, light punches/kicks into full combos or tick grabs on wakeup. Laura has it even better with her unblockable command grabs that the mind reading CPU will only jump away from. Trying to pressure a mind reading CPU is not something everyone can do with just any character. After beating him with five or six character on normal difficulty the need for patience really kicks in and you realize you can't fight him like you would a human.

Shadoken

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204214173]Some random dude says Ibuki reveal next week, Viscant hates anime
[/QUOTE]

But isnt mahvel anime ... kappa

Shackzam

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204214449]Isn't that extremely good for you?[/QUOTE]

Are you going to combo breaker and did you call yourself GB Jeebies because I think I'm in the same pool with you lol

Producer

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing? You don't have to be in a knockdown situation to jump during a throw tech attempt. I don't know if I ever neutral jump after a knockdown...

In that case you're better off going for a shimmy. Neutral jump to bait throws isnt really good especially if your character has a slow/floaty jump.

myco666

call that out with them dash up sweeps
You either need to hit confirm with a low or even make a hard read and do something that's possibly unsafe if blocked low. I've remember encountering a few players like this. The thing is that they would block low at first and then start walking backwards. So things like jab > throw would whiff. I had enough of it and started doing cr. Jab > cr. MK > tatsu until they showed me they would keep blocking low. Don't be afraid to make those commitments once or twice and see how they react to it.

Need to remember to try these next time this happens.

SmokeMaxX

In that case you're better off going for a shimmy. Neutral jump to bait throws isnt really good especially if your character has a slow/floaty jump.

That's probably true. To be clear, I don't want all chars to have garbage anti-airs. I wouldn't mind having those st. jabs replaced with SF4 Guile's cr. fierce. I just think Marvel anti-airs are dumb for this game.

Shackzam

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204225414]Wait someone entered a tournament as GB's Jeebies?

FIGHT ON MY MINION[/QUOTE]

Yeah there in my pool. It was hilarious to see that name in there lol.

Big Brett

Anyone else find Necalli's story costume a bit hard to fight against? I feel like it makes him harder to read but I might just be making excuses for a loss lol

Xeteh

Anyone else find Necalli's story costume a bit hard to fight against? I feel like it makes him harder to read but I might just be making excuses for a loss lol

I find it hard to use because it looks like garbage. I bought it, unlocked colors for it and the entire time I was like "whyyyy did I do this?".

Menitta

Get through booms with ex drill or well timed dives.
Bait flash kicks when he has meter.

Trash him up close when he doesn't.

Thank you very much.

I'm having one of those weeks where I'm just like "Fuck this entire genre." The longest losing streak ever.

robo_qwop

Beat this Guile player as Rashid in two sets casual.

First he says "barely fucking won terrorist".

Second he says "Barely win fucking terrorist trash".

Making this political...

SephLuis

Thank you very much.

I'm having one of those weeks where I'm just like "Fuck this entire genre." The longest losing streak ever.

If you are having a big losing streak, might be useful to review the basics.
Footsies, ranges, BnBs and so on.

Sometimes reviewing the basics is going to improve your game much more than match-up knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom