• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

Couple stages in and the game is pretty good. Nice to have a Streets of Rage title other than 3 with some actual fast gameplay. Visuals are good though they look more like an evolution of Maximum Carnage than any Streets of Rage game. Still, ignoring that it looks good for what it's going for and the animation is quite nice. Def liking it so far. Will enjoy putting serious time into it later on today.

Animagic

Banned
3's music is so much better than this. I think with time, now that this soundtrack is part of the series, more people will warm to 3's soundtrack. It's fucking bumping but some people can't accept the style. Personally, I think this soundtrack is weak sauce. They were huge shoes to fill to be fair but it falls so flat in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the 2003 re-boot. You mean SOR Remake? Because I don't rate that either. Though the compositions are the same, they sound like amateur arrangements.

I will concede that this game was quite fun though which I wasn't exepecting after seeing videos. I would have included running and rolling personally in the design of this game. Once you have mastered the controls in BK3, it's a tier above 2 but 2 seems to get the nod. Maybe because it's rememberd more fondly, I'm not sure. I don't like Cherry or Jax. Their designs are ass, Cherry more so. There's a bunch of characters that are in the game in some form that I would have loved to be able to use instead but I'm not going to say who they are just in case it is considered a spoiler. I'm expecting paid DLC bullshit for them though.

I am happy that SOR is getting some love these days. It's a series I've grown up with, I loved every single entry and still play them all regularly. It seems SEGA hasn't completely forgot about it thankfully.
This is going to do so well it will probably lead to a full fledged resurgence in the series. I can’t imagine we will be waiting long for SOR5

jaysius

Banned
Playing it now on gamepass on Xbox, glad it's "Free" are there any characters that are more fun solo? Are there any things that make the game actually fun to play?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I believe CrustyBritches CrustyBritches mentioned there being a prompt hidden behind a window on his PC that was requiring admin access to allow certain permissions for the app. Maybe alt+tab a few times to make sure there isn't a window hidden?
Yeah, what specifically happened was the first time it crashed or even maybe timed out. It was like 8:50am PT and I had read it was going live at 10am, so the next time it was loading I figured I'd open Nord VPN to try that just in case. In that 10sec span I clicked the SoR4 icon on the taskbar to go back to the game loading screen it brought that "Allow Access to Xbox Live Info" window to focus. It's not the admin approval window, but rather tied to the Xbox Beta app and Win10 "App" thing. They have you do it for Shenmue 3 and FFXV as well. What JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered suggested is also a good idea.

Last edited:
Finished first playthrough on hard. I think I’m in love with this game. Got paired up with a great partner online, lag free connection finally, we knocked out the last 5 stages together

I’m gonna play the fuck out of this game. We wiped on the last boss once then breezes through it second try

are there a bunch of hidden moves per character? There are times I do something I didn’t know I could do

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Finished first playthrough on hard. I think I’m in love with this game. Got paired up with a great partner online, lag free connection finally, we knocked out the last 5 stages together

I’m gonna play the fuck out of this game. We wiped on the last boss once then breezes through it second try

are there a bunch of hidden moves per character? There are times I do something I didn’t know I could do

On level three and I forced myself to put it down. I have had a thirst for 2D side scrollers in general with 3d effects and this fits tht bill somewhat. I kinda wish Castlevania went back to 2D with 3d backgrounds and went all out on effects since those type of games are graphically less intensive. Bloodstained is on my list for when it drops to 20.

This was good pricing, great graphics imo and nostalgia all the way through. When I saw the women with the whips and fat dude with fire I couldn't stop smiling.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Works perfectly on xbox one x and my driving simulator but won't start on my main pc using the pc xbox game pass.

Anyone know anything about this typical Windows store type if problem?

Happened to me this seems to have solved it for me

Go to the windows settings app
Type troubleshoot
Click Troubleshoot settings
On the window that opens, on the right hand side scroll until you find Windows Store Apps
Click that
Then click run the troubleshooter

It should go through an automated process and after a restart the game seemed to run

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I wonder why there's no run mechanic from the third game? That's the only thing I miss. I double tap a direction hoping I'm going to dash across the screen, and nope.

*Edit*

Seems like Cherry can run. Cool!
Having no sprint and roll is a bummer, but I did read on a couple sites now that the retro characters you unlock will have it. No idea if it's true, but I'm praying it is. Here's an excerpt...
While playing through Streets of Rage 4, players can unlock classic characters with move sets from their original games, hailing from the original Streets of Rage trilogy. Skate, Max, and more return in pixellized form, complete with sprint moves, rolling, and calling the cops for backup.

skneogaf

Happened to me this seems to have solved it for me

Go to the windows settings app
Type troubleshoot
Click Troubleshoot settings
On the window that opens, on the right hand side scroll until you find Windows Store Apps
Click that
Then click run the troubleshooter

It should go through an automated process and after a restart the game seemed to run

Didn't work but thank you for the suggestion.

I don't believe my xbox 360 arcade stick will work anyway as the windows uwp version of this game seems to be the the exact xbox one version so it didn't recognise my stick on the occasion I got it to start.

My game pass £1 3 months thing runs out on the 22nd of May and I won't be keeping it going so I'll pick up the steam version which we all know will work as expected.

Belmonte

Dammit, I'm almost hitting my head against the wall. I love the series but SOR4 is ridiculously expensive in my country because of the exchange.

At least, now that the game released, I can see people who knows how to properly play beat em ups. The new enemies they added seems very complementary to the old ones. Great additions!

Ah now I get it. All I do is suplex people and throw them over my shoulder into holes lol. Meanwhile my friend was wracking up large combos. It's something like special move - dash attack - special move...is that right?

If the switch port really is fine, when there's a sale on switch I believe I'll double dip. I would love to have this to play this 4p with the kiddos during the holidays. Young teens I mean. But will they even get it? Will they understand the joy of suplexing people and throwing them in holes... What if I try to show them and they're like "you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy."

Great men throughout history suplex their problems away. Leon S Kennedy, Guile, Axel (both stone and folly, I'm guessing. Not Rose.)

Fake

Put the music in retro mode!
CybuEaUVIAAF_HV.jpg

Dev1lXYZ

The stages in this game are really great. I was afraid that there would be a few good ones, but damn-they are all good.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I feel like I'm missing some core mechanics here.

Is there really nothing you can do when the enemies flash white, and they gain the ability to instant counter any hits without ever being knocked out of their attack? Do you have no ability to counter back? Because lots of times it seems you really can't even walk away from these attacks fast enough.

Is there a reliable way to throw escape bosses? This seems a little busted at times too.

What is going on when the screen goes dark, and the boss freezes time and poses? Several bosses do it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is this worth playing solo? Any replayable value? Is there any depth in the gameplay or is it just mindless button mashing?
I am loving it solo. I love the juggling. I made it half way and I’m learning new techniques to combo moves together. You can press down attack when you’re jumping and it does a jump back kick. There’s walls and weapons to combo enemies with. You can throw a weapon and catch it. You have to figure out the small technical stuff to fully take advantage of the combat. Back attacks help setup combos. It’s a type of simple complexity that makes it so good. I really like the art and the music is excellent. I’m playing as Blaze first playthrough. I love it when sidescrollers let you juggle. Sengoku 1 was good, but the combat in Sengoku 3 is far superior. Knights of Valour did juggling well too. I really wish I could play the third entry.

Ristifer

Beat the game on Hard with a random online. Pretty sweet to match up with a total random and just kick a bunch of ass. Awesome game! I feel like the soundtrack is a bit of a grower in certain areas, but it can also really hit at others. I'm having a blast with this!

Kazza

I was cautiously optimistic about this one, but it turns out that there was no need for caution at all - it's an amazing game. I couldn't download last night, so I went to bed without playing it. I ended up waking up at 4:15am this morning, so I guess my subconscious was definitely excited for this game!

My impressions:
- the whole feel of the controls is perfect, something that I noticed within the first 10 seconds, when I grabbed a goon with blaze and performed her suplex and then bicycle kick. The combination of the smooth animation and controller reaction just felt so right
- the new enemies and bosses all come with their own interesting personalities and AI, and are all great fun to fight against
- nice stage variety
- music sounds good, but I was a bit too involved with the action, so need to listen more later
- some nice gameplay improvements (separate buttons for pick up and attack, better hit boxes with those knife guys)

It was great to see Max in here (and not just the retro version. I liked the whole police subplot, with them fighting with the goons. Getting hit by the original SoR special attack felt like what Robotnik must have getting attacked by one of his own machines in Mania. Ofthe new stages, I liked the art gallery, Shinbo-esque top of the train stage, and the sauna the most (Chinatown too, although I would have preferred to have had some more kung fu themed dudes rather than the usual goons). I was disappointed by the lack of a beach stage though

I liked the little cut scene artwork:

FMMIFqY.jpg

(

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Me and my partner in the Dojo on Hard difficulty...
Shit, it was raining men up in there. Spear and split kick saved my ass.
---
Side note: I have Game Pass Ultimate and I was curious, so I logged into one of my son's X1S and installed the game and it picked up right where I had left off earlier on PC. Very cool. That's probably the Xbox Cloud save feature. Still unclear whether there's PC x Xbox crossplay. I'll try it later tonight.

Last edited:

Kazza

What did everyone think of the difficulty? I played on normal and got to (what I believe) is the final stage on my first try, so it was maybe a little too easy for SoR veterans. The issue wasn't the lack of challenge in fighting the goons (I got my arse kicked plenty), but more the oversupply of apples and turkey. It seemed like they were supplying two players' worth in a single player game. The first level starts off harder than in the original trilogy (I almost lost a life immediately, but things seemed to get easier after).

I'll try hard next time.

Top Bottom