• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful NYC Chef, David Chang, opens Chick-fil-A inspired "Fuku".

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Chang is the creative force behind the Momofuku empire.

This is his entry into the fast casual market that has proved oh so profitable for many of restaurateurs.

10-fuku-sandwich.w529.h352.jpg

All the sandwiches are spicy. He's using a super secret habenero puree and spice mix and the fries are wedges or steak fries like KFC.

After six months of intensive R&D in the 600-square-foot East Village birthplace of Momofuku, Inc. (163 First Avenue, the original location of its Noodle Bar), David Chang is ready to unveil Fuku, home of the $8 spicy-fried-chicken sandwich and prototype for what the chef hopes will become a fast-food brand. The obvious inspiration is Chick-fil-A, which Chang grew up eating in suburban Virginia, but he’s also a vocal fan of In-N-Out for its unique corporate culture as much as for its burger. Chang describes Fuku as “our attempt to sort of honor the great fried-chicken places and fast-food concepts out there, to do our version of that, and hopefully, to make it better.”

For New Yorkers who can't wait for Chick-fil-A's NYC location to open or won't dine there due to personal ethics, you have another option here. Plus its opened on Sundays.

This will be in the former location for Ko, which is tiny and standing room only for now.

They also got a liquor license, so you can have some beer with your spicy fried chicken sandwich.

The menu is simple so far--The sandwich, steak fries, and a seasonal vegetable side that Chang admits, no one will buy lol.

Chang is testing and developing new variations of sandwich, with a Korean style one with pickled onions and a Cordon Blue style one with swiss cheese and ham. Those are still in the testing phase, though.

Chang is hoping for Shake Shack style expansion nationwide.

11420818_686948691432292_530140771_n.jpg

http://www.grubstreet.com/2015/06/david-chang-fuku-fried-chicken-opens.html

Man, I wanna go right now.

entremet

Sandwich looks tasty but those fries are nasty.

Might as well eat a baked potato

Yeah. I hate wedges personally. Funnily, he mentions Shake Shake in another interview, the other big fast casual chain that started in NYC with great success, yet with mediocre fries too lol.

akira28

the perfect wedge needs to be cut with an acute angle that allows for perfect crisping without a lot of extremely dry starchy potato ruining the bite.

Cagey

Banned
Oh shit Fuku opened? Expansion will take a damn long time but this joint is going to be packed for months.

entremet

More pics.

Sandwiches looks big. They're also using fancy free range chickens, not Purdue broilers. So there's a commitment to higher quality than regular fast food. It's fast casual after all.

fukusand.0.png

fukuassembly.0.png

fuku5.0.png

Is that $14 for a chicken sandwich, fries, and a drink? That's Five Guys territory there. Actually, it's more expensive than Five Guys. And like double the price of Chick Fil A.

entremet

Is that $14 for a chicken sandwich, fries, and a drink? That's Five Guys territory there. Actually, it's more expensive than Five Guys. And like double the price of Chick Fil A.

It's in NYC for now and it is fast casual, which is like Chipotle level.

The sandwiches look much bigger than CFA's and he's using free range birds too.

He calls this CFA inspired and there's no waffle fries? lol.

Fuk u.

Well he can't just rip them off wholesale lol.

This is the opening menu. He plans to add more variation of sandwiches.

He's testing a lot of new concepts but they're not ready yet. He's a perfectionist.

Zia

It's David Chang.

Also, to the wedge haters, dunk that shit in Ssam sauce. It's a take on gochujang so good it makes McDonald's fries palatable. Not that I've tried...

otapnam

It's David Chang.

Also, to the wedge haters, dunk that shit in Ssam sauce. It's a take on gochujang so good it makes McDonald's fries palatable. Not that I've tried...

I ordered a case of ssam (split with friends).

Pretty good stuff, ill probably make my own batch when i run out though

okno

I turned down a job here. Kind of regret it, but I run my own bar now, sooooo I'll just go eat here. Can't wait to try it!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I would save a plate of wedge fries from a burning building before I'd save their haters.

Kettch

Man, I thought my spicy chicken sandwich at Wendy's was expensive. For $8 this would have to be made from some kind of super chicken.

Mimosa97

It's this:

The GOAT hamburger and hot dog bun maker in the US.

477924920_5d24c36397.jpg

Why do they call them potato rolls ? (Not a native speaker)

And I wasn't implying that it tested bad, just that it looked sad lol. I have stopped judging food by the way it looks a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom