• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Ex-Developer shares frustration with uglification of black female characters in the industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifa-cobex

What an alt-right, fascist, bigoted thing to say.

But when you're right. You're right.
Also you're now part of GG.

GL

Last edited:

yurinka

Resident Evil 5's Sheva was the peak of black female characters

re5-sheva.jpg
Yep, I was going to mention her and other characters from fighting games that already have been mentioned. But most -if not all- these cases are from old Japanese games. The woke censorship affects mostly to the west devs, even if now some Japanese teams also start to get affected, even if in a minor way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is what happens when you have self-loathing fugly women and mental illness men who hate women, designing female characters.

It's literally sexist to uglify beautiful women. And these slacktivist developers have done so in every single western game the past 10+ years compared to the source model.

Exhibit A is all you need:
glzychpefomy.png

Last edited:

Larxia

All he's proven to me is that he wears blinders. I'm unconvinced that he's come to his senses.
Definitely, because if you look in the replies, someone send a screenshot of a post from Grummz talking about this, and... he gets frustrated by it? I'm really confused.
He complains about this, but when someone share the info, he's mad.
Wtf? lol

NXqnkBG.png

"Misconstrued", how so? It's really strange.

- Complains about how characters are made ugly on purpose
- Someone say even artists admit it
- It was inevitable I would get misconstrued

🤔 🤔 🤔

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Definitely, because if you look in the replies, someone send a screenshot of a post from Grummz talking about this, and... he gets frustrated by it? I'm really confused.
Wtf? lol

NXqnkBG.png

🤔 🤔 🤔

The Cult of Ideology is a powerful drug. Hard to fully break free when your livelihood dependent on it.

PeteBull

Woke western dev studios, nuff said, and i got a feeling it will get much worse before it gets better :(

Edit:
At least Ads on GAF arent made unfuckable :p

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
The most racist thing of all is to make black characters ugly. They very people who are supposedly trying to “help” are the ones making it worse.

Shut0wen

Imagine having a special issue playboy magazine exclusively of uggos. I don’t kink shame but don’t expect that to sell to the majority.

disclaimer. I only read it for the articles.
People are saying characters are ugly n shit but honestly they just look like average people, aloy looks like every fat ginger and joana dark looks like the lead singer from yazoo

Boss Mog

I don't know this guy, but he's obviously some kind of woke activist, complete with palestinian flag. If even these kinds of people are complaining about ugly female characters then you know it's not some conspiracy theory.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sad and hilarious to see statements like this after years of gaslighting that western devs weren't intentionally uglifying female characters.
why am I not surprised? Same thing with the Sweet Baby bullshit.

“The thing you loved has ALWAYS been woke/feminist/queer/whatever”

Oh no turns out there are DEI consulting companies, staffed by activist wackos and actual racists, helping publishers get their cut of that sweet DEI investment money by cramming this shit into our entertainment.

Lunarorbit

Remember when the new tomb raider game came out and then a while later they decided to make Lara uglier for no reason?

Lunar orbit remembers

It's because angry ugly cactus-legged black women make the final decision. Executive turn to them for approval because they're afraid of offending anyone. Never mind these so called women only play Tetris.

Astral Dog

Their ideologies work ike a cancer that rots creativity ,quality and expression, he thought it would be fine as long as they spread the message but now he is finally bothered by the results, they want to appeal to the lowest common denominator, not him or the artists, those uglified mediocre characters are supposed to represent the actual audience

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's a smart way to use DEI against itself. The male gaze is bad, but shouldn't we at least have hot black women? :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking: :pie_thinking:

Just because this developer is black, means he's using DEI against itself. I hate that what he is saying is true. But we've seen it for a while now. Even I didn't believe some on GAF a few years ago when Control was first released. She was the first lady that I remember people getting upset about and saying that the industry was forcing devs to make women look more manly. I didn't believe it.

But a couple of more years proved that it was true in many cases. I hope this brother saying something can allow other artist to speak up, because East Asia is kicking our butts in female model designs over the last 5-8 years.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
People are saying characters are ugly n shit but honestly they just look like average people, aloy looks like every fat ginger and joana dark looks like the lead singer from yazoo

The fallacy of this argument is that fantasy/action/superhero characters are NOT average people. They are the top of the genetic pool, so portraying them as ugly is not only stupid but works against the purpose of the narrative.

None in his right mind would design Captain America as a bald 5,7' guy with a soft body.

mckmas8808

S

It seems like hes coming from a genuine enough place.

Theres a few I find who look fine but some could be better. I dont hink using an e thot posting a selfie is the best example though

Why she gotta be an "e thot"? Because she's pretty and taking a picture? Come on man....

Wtf? lol

NXqnkBG.png

🤔 🤔 🤔

The twitter user called Del a "wokie". Come on, you know what that means. And you know a "wokie" wasn't used to be nice or complimentary. So stop with the foolishness.

mckmas8808

The fallacy of this argument is that fantasy/action/superhero characters are NOT average people. They are the top of the genetic pool, so portraying them as ugly is not only stupid but works against the purpose of the narrative.

None in his right mind would design Captain America as a bald 5,7' guy with a soft body.

So you think this character was designed badly?

returnal2.png

returnal-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

Considering this is her gameplay?

ezgif.com-gif-maker-71fbbdac2f1956467.gif

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, we have known this for a while. It's not just black women but they do get the short end of the stick. We can at least look at some hot white female characters in games. There have been zero hot black female characters in games. Everyone looks like shit.

Its not that hard to get a beyonce or rihanna or even a zendaya you know.
Hey you never know.

Considering how weird, political and discriminatory a lot of those so called wokes are, there's a possibility it goes like this:

1. Make women in game fugly because it makes themselves feel better than looking in a mirror

2. Make guys still good looking lean guys or powerful meatheads

3. Make black women extra fugly lately, while keeping some whitie chicks better looking because hey they are racist, have power of video editing and graphic design, and most importantly the vast majority of western studios (when they do their front lobby gigantic employee pic they all seem to do every two years on Twitter) is almost all whites anyway

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Making women look ugly has to be like some anti man shit. It's the only reason I can think of.

Some angry lady is somewhere saying fuck the male gaze.

Make video game woman hot again.
Also probably some of the women in the teams being petty and preventing overtly sexualized women characters because they don't look like them. Heck, even what we would consider modest is probably a no-no.

Men probably do that to a degree but no where near as much.

SHA

So they're faking the product intentionally, I hate devaluing my purchases, it makes me feel the money we put on this stuff and what we actually get are all fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom