• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Date a Live website has a much better background image than last time.

RKbdkRl.jpg

Uchouten Kazoku 1-9

Simply fantastic. Episode 8 was probably my favorite episode of any anime this season. Great stuff. If it wasn't for Monogatari, this would handily take my favorite show of the season unless Yasaburō doesn't end up with Benten. Benten is great.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
ServentxService Episode 5

I expected not to like ServentxService, especially not as much as Working!, but I've enjoyed the last two episodes.

It is one of the only anime where the character plays games and has anime figures and no one points it out.

Also this was pretty hilarious.

servicexservice3dcsvf.gif

Without her, STARISH would be dead!

They had it down when their prince came back and they all found love again.

Well Utapri is about idols so they have to be pure. Or at least keep it on the down low.

I'm still pissed Kenta only got 1 episode. 2 borderline rapists, 1 psychotic schizophrenic and a player with a 3 month limit. Somehow Kenta is the least deserving.

Being the most normal means he gets the least amount of attention!

Okay, that doesn't make it any less a logical fallacy.

Considering that this argument of honorifics doesn't have a given answer or a solution that can satisfy everyone, we're out of the logic here.

i don't want to start this debate here ( because it has been done to death ) but if you're unhappy with the product , logic will show various outcomes from :
1-using a group that suit your tastes ( plenty of choices , especially in english )
2-start your own group if you feel that your input is large enough ( you'll have followers that way )
3-deal with it ( not used in a mean or bad way )

1 is what most people do
2 is used sometimes untill they realise the sheer amount of work involved by those groups that can take critics ( that why v2 or v3 exist or why some groups change their details midway )
3 is self explanatory

There is no good answer here, because this is at core a problem of taste , and taste is different for each human. And this is why choices exist.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dat Kobayashi, etc.

I find the lack of technical detail regarding swimming itself to kind of expose that the story is little more than a shallow excuse to trot guys around without shirts on. I'm not sure the central focus is really swimming when the show hardly ever brings the activity to the center of the stage. In something like Chihayafuru the love of the sport is emphasized, maybe a little too much at times, but at least that shines through. Free! just seems to express a love for deformed upper bodies and BL.
I'd rather see the characters interact with each other and be human beings with human motivations and than sport robots though. I mean, the story itself is kind of dumb, but that seems to be Japan's fascination with family more than anything else.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Honorifics aren't a matter of being "honorable and respectful". It's a matter of society being stratified and everyone knowing their place.

HONORIFICS ARE OPPRESSION

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To be a tad more serious, honorifics are kind of entry-level Japanese where it's easy to spot a difference and make a big deal about it. Basically, if you're just an anime fan who's only taken a semester of Japanese before washing out, you're not really aware of all the other grammatical forms with similar functions that don't get special treatment. Ultimately, your audience is an English-speaking audience. They shouldn't be expected to know Japanese, or they wouldn't need subs in the first place.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 20

So the Arc-Gurren has left, and everybody left on Earth is condemned. And the people inside the ship are probably going to die anyway. So Kittan is going to take this futile situation and use it to fight because they're Dai-Gurren and why the fuck not?

And the ending...Awwwwwwwww shhhhhhhhheeeeeiiittttttt!!!!!!!!!! SHE'S BACK, BITCHES!

zeroshiki

To be a tad more serious, honorifics are kind of entry-level Japanese where it's easy to spot a difference and make a big deal about it. Basically, if you're just an anime fan who's only taken a semester of Japanese before washing out, you're not really aware of all the other grammatical forms with similar functions that don't get special treatment. Ultimately, your audience is an English-speaking audience. They shouldn't be expected to know Japanese, or they wouldn't need subs in the first place.

I agree with this. Weaboos make a big deal about honorifics because its easy to spot but there are a ton of other things there. Plus the subs are ostensibly for a non-Japanese speaking audience. Whats the point of a localization (I realize most subbed idea aren't but bear with me) if its a grammatically cleaned up babelfish of the script?

I agree with this. Weaboos make a big deal about honorifics because its easy to spot but there are a ton of other things there. Plus the subs are ostensibly for a non-Japanese speaking audience. Whats the point of a localization (I realize most subbed idea aren't but bear with me) if its a grammatically cleaned up babelfish of the script?

Reminds me of years back where this went on in many subs, on top of the sheer laziness of not wanting to translate certain terms. Wasn't fun times for anime watching.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Free! 04-08:

They may all be dudes, but there's some nice hair animation in the show. KyoAni's production values do not let me down.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 21

"Here endeth the lesson." *boom* "You fail."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH!

Pretty cool to see Viral now join the gang. Hell, not only has he joined the gang, he's Simon's right hand man now.
And then they come and bail out Rossiu and the Arc-Gurren from the trap set up by the anti-spirals (okay, seriously Rossiu, time to give up the role of Supreme Commander if you didn't see that one coming). Will they make peace with each other? They kinda have to at this point. But Dai-Gurren is here to fuck shit up and save humanity from certain extinction because that's just what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom