• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gurren Lagann 21

"Here endeth the lesson." *boom* "You fail."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHH!

Pretty cool to see Viral now join the gang. Hell, not only has he joined the gang, he's Simon's right hand man now.
And then they come and bail out Rossiu and the Arc-Gurren from the trap set up by the anti-spirals (okay, seriously Rossiu, time to give up the role of Supreme Commander if you didn't see that one coming). Will they make peace with each other? They kinda have to at this point. But Dai-Gurren is here to fuck shit up and save humanity from certain extinction because that's just what they do.

You might want to spoiler tag all that.

Good lord, you're feeling the exact same emotions I felt during those episodes. The entire first 75% of episode 21 could have been a win on its own for me, but they had to go and do THAT as well. As if it wasn't epic enough.

Syrinx

You might want to spoiler tag all that.

Good lord, you're feeling the exact same emotions I felt during those episodes. The entire first 75% of episode 21 could have been a win on its own for me, but they had to go and do THAT as well. As if it wasn't epic enough.

Yeah, sometimes it's easy to forget that somebody who hasn't watched may read. Edited.

But goddamn, what the hell's gonna happen in the final 6 episodes? How are they gonna crank it up more?

My favorite is still One Piece fans insisting that nakama doesn't mean friend because some fansubber told them so.

It doesn't really impact me either way, I don't find it any more or less distracting then when fan subs or even official subs keep suffixes like -chan -kun -sama or make attacks in unique colors or have unique effects. As long as the text is unobtrusive and the translation is readable I'm happy. The worst thing for me is when it comes in a weird color that makes it hard for me to read (color blind)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
This is still by far my favorite

I'm still set on this one:

KdMaYAT.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, on the other hand, leaving in honorifics is limited in the damage it does to the translation because they can all be ignored and audience usually won't miss much, provided they know they can or don't care to begin with.

Come to think of it, pronoun use issues probably come up more often, but fansubbers gleefully gloss over those!

Senyu 23

Oh hey, just the normal comedy routine and then.... HOLY SHIT.

Yeah, this is probably a trap, but it would be hilarious if it was completely serious and the rest of the season was just devoid of comedy entirely.

jman2050

To be a tad more serious, honorifics are kind of entry-level Japanese where it's easy to spot a difference and make a big deal about it. Basically, if you're just an anime fan who's only taken a semester of Japanese before washing out, you're not really aware of all the other grammatical forms with similar functions that don't get special treatment. Ultimately, your audience is an English-speaking audience. They shouldn't be expected to know Japanese, or they wouldn't need subs in the first place.

It's the ravings of insecure individuals who want to make themselves feel superior (either from a legitimate lack of self-worth or just because they're pricks, or possibly both) by construing otherwise innocuous or useless information as impiortant and necessary knowledge and then lording that knowledge over others. Or maybe that's just me being cynical, I can never tell.

Obsessing over formal grammatical structures in any language is amusing to me anyway because there isn't really a point to it. If you're in a situation where knowing these forms in Japanese is necessary (eg, you live in Japan and must speak the language) then you will eventually learn what is and isn't appropriate just via time and exposure. It's like obsessing over whether to say "thanks", "thank you", or "thank you very much" when showing gratitude. In the vast majority of situations either you will intuitively know which form is appropriate or the distinction just won't matter.

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 22

First
Gurren Lagann combined with the giant Arch Gurren to make Arch-Gurren Lagann and rip a hole in the space-time continuum to destroy the Anti-Spiral ships.
Then Simon went and used his drill to
control Spiral King's old ship. And when I say "Spiral King's old ship", I mean, THE FUCKING MOON! HOLY SHIT!!!!!
And that was just one episode; there's still five left! What the hell could possibly happen? I know the Anti-Spiral fleet is coming in full force, but...shit, how are they gonna top that?! Well it involves saving Nia, so if it's going to take grabbing the sun and flinging it at the fleet to wipe them out, Simon will fucking do it, dammit.

I'm done for tonight. My penis isn't ready.

santeesioux

So this is a tough one for my viewing habits tonight, From Up on Poppy Hill, or continue my watch of Little Busters in preparation for the new season?

If honorifics matter to you, you can still hear them being spoken, do you actually need them printed on the screen? I'm completely indifferent to whether or not they are kept in a translation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Having gone through the K-On! movie disc, short of an audio commentary, it's probably the most packed anime disc that I've seen. They threw in TV specials going through all the songs, a special introducing the movie on TBS, a Universal Studios premiere event, a movie premiere event, a dubbing session chat, and of course Yamada's trip to London. I think each of the features are 20-30 minutes too.

If you like the seiyuus, this is probably all the PR they did for the movie on TV on one disc. lol

I really have no idea how Sentai decides to spend its resources on licensing and extras. Maybe this all came as a package, or someone there is a big K-On fan, but getting all these random PR junket things AND subbing them is kind of hilarious.

Gurren Lagann 22

I'm done for tonight. My penis isn't ready.

That's actually a smart move. I marathoned the entire thing in one day and night, and I was in so much shock from how amazing this series was that I couldn't even write full length impressions of them after I finished watching. I suppose I could have waited, but I don't think anyone could wait after seeing the last few episodes.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Obsessing over formal grammatical structures in any language is amusing to me anyway because there isn't really a point to it. If you're in a situation where knowing these forms in Japanese is necessary (eg, you live in Japan and must speak the language) then you will eventually learn what is and isn't appropriate just via time and exposure. It's like obsessing over whether to say "thanks", "thank you", or "thank you very much" when showing gratitude. In the vast majority of situations either you will intuitively know which form is appropriate or the distinction just won't matter.
Until you're unlucky enough to run into meta-conversation, then you're fucked.

cajunator

Banned
They have also all admitted to being deviants.

Hmm. I dunno if Id consider virginia a land of deviants.

Crazy to think they were dead all along

Yeah. That was a hell of an episode. Some lists mention it as one of the best in anime although I dont particularly agree.

Paranoia Agent 09
Everyone's gone Shounen Batto crazy they are basically making up stories that implicate him in the most unlikely of stories. I almost expected him being involved in the death of Christ.

The gossip episode. Good stuff. Not quite a recap episode but..somewhat of a clever way to recount events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom