• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

for each person:

a 50-show ranking
writeups for each individual episode of the shows you're voting for
MAL/Hummingbird links to prove that one has watched all the shows
a signed voucher from a significant other or a relative vouching for your honesty
10 dollar signup fee into my paypal

firehawk12

Subete no aware
for each person:

a 50-show ranking
a signed voucher from a significant other or a relative vouching for your honesty

Also, Jeff Daniels needs to win an award.

for each person:

a 50-show ranking

But my family doesn't know I watch anime!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
for each person:

a 50-show ranking
you forgot to block voting from all countries that are not america.

Andrew J.

AotY thoughts:

Some combination of Wolf Children, LWA, Hataraku Maou-sama, Girls und Panzer, Yuyushiki, Jojo's, Prisma Ilya, Uchouten Kazoku, maybe Silver Spoon, and probably Kill-la-Kill. Order TBD when I need to think about, which is not now.

for each person:

a 50-show ranking

And the written consent of all staff that worked on every show you vote for.

Patlabor TV 25

A Shinshi episode! He's always been the least developed of the main cast, so it's nice to see him get a little more focus and to have his past explored a bit.

Patlabor TV 26

Kumagami is a weak character. Her main personality trait is that she excels at everything she does, and she doesn't have any flavor to her behavior beyond that, which makes her boring to watch. She's superficially similar to Kanuka in being ultra-competent, but she lacks Kanuka's spunk and roughness and so doesn't serve as an effective replacement.

Patlabor TV 27

Really great horror atmosphere, with atmospheric sound and camera angles. Happy to see Kumagami get a bit of character as well, with her perturbed reaction to the supernatural.

jgminto

So far

Jojo
Valvrave
Watamote
Hataraku Maou-sama
Yuyushiki
Little Witch Academia
Inferno Cop
Turning Girls
Gargantia
Kotoura-san (uhuhuhuhuhu)

sonicmj1

The Flowers of Evil 1

So I've bitten the bullet. I know, I know, of all the recommendations made, the last one is the one I take first. Anyway, go easy on me, 'cuz I'm just giving my honest impressions here, and not trying to make a big ol' judgment. Which will sound ironic in a moment.

I hope you enjoy it. There aren't a lot of shows like it, so I don't know how it'll fit with your tastes, but if you liked those last three minutes, there's plenty more where that mood came from. As Hosanna said, this episode is meant to set up the boring routine of his life so we can understand how he changes.

I'm glad I've started taking a class on the differences between cultures recently, because otherwise I'd be tempted to say that the teacher way over reacted to the girl's taunt, but then again, I'm no stranger to seeing students do petty things to teachers like that, and I've seen teachers just shrug it off, and the whole misbehaving/problem student screwing with a teacher is a standard of American schoolroom settings. In Japan, though, I'm guessing that disrespecting your teacher is a much bigger deal.

As a teacher at a Japanese middle school, this might be a boring answer, but it depends a lot on the teacher and the student. One of the things about living in another culture is learning that, even if some generalizations tend to hold, they're more a framework than a rule. People are still people, so they handle things differently.

I'm working off a pretty small sample size, but teachers let a lot of misbehavior and disrespect roll off in order to keep the class running smoothly. But they'll probably have a lot less patience for a disrespectful kid that doesn't even try (like Nakamura) than they would for someone who goofs off, but also makes an effort sometimes. You can kind of tell by how he calls out her test score that there's been a history of this kind of behavior.

That said, even for the worst students I've had, I've never seen a teacher call them out for bad test scores like that, so it's saying something about the kind of person their homeroom teacher is, too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
for each person:

one movie vote
one show vote
one worst show of the year vote
out of curiosity to see what kind of impact this would have on last year i counted up what the top show votes were. the rankings actually changed. unless i counted wrong. i just did it fast.
best show of 2012 assuming votes did not change would be:
#1: Fate/Zero
#2: Hyouka
#3: Jojo
#4: Space Bros.
Tie for next best between Sword Art Online, Tsuritama, Kids on the Slope, and Humanity Has Declined.

Articalys

out of curiosity to see what kind of impact this would have on last year i counted up what the top show votes were. the rankings actually changed. unless i counted wrong. i just did it fast.
best show of 2012 assuming votes did not change would be:
#1: Fate/Zero
#2: Hyouka
#3: Jojo
#4: Space Bros.
Tie for next best between Sword Art Online, Tsuritama, Kids on the Slope, and Humanity Has Declined.
Pulled up the spreadsheet to do a quick check. You're right on the top 4, but after that it goes down like this, if you count 1st place votes only:
1) Fate/Zero 2nd Season -- 29
2) Hyouka -- 28
3) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure -- 20
4) Space Brothers -- 10
5 Kids on the Slope -- 9
6) Tsuritama -- 8
6) Humanity has Declined -- 8
6) K-On! Movie -- 8
9) Sword Art Online -- 7
10) Hunter x Hunter -- 6
edit: as long as we're doing random stats, here's what happens to the top ten if you go by total number of ballots each show was on, no matter the ranking:
1) Hyouka -- 81
2) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure -- 72
3) Fate/Zero 2nd Season -- 69
4) Kids on the Slope -- 58
5 Tsuritama -- 57
6) Girls und Panzer -- 50
7) Space Brothers -- 44
8) Shin Sekai Yori -- 43
9) Humanity has Declined -- 39
10) Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! -- 34

Rewatch Digimon Tamers 2

nB474kI.jpg

Maybe because you fucking took him to school

Still going pretty slow. Rika is fighting, demonstrating new mechanics that will be seen in Tamers while we're going through. We get to see a new Tamer who will join us to form the Core 3 at some point in the near future, and this fucking dude was in Season 2 with Little Ken no less. He's hopping through dimensions, that motherfucker.

Of course.... Blagumon is causing a bit of a scare at school which made Takato look like he had a terrible night. Too bad Rika is there to attack them at the end.

Pretty slow beginning honestly.

Quasar

Pulled up the spreadsheet to do a quick check. You're right on the top 4, but after that it goes down like this, if you count 1st place votes only:

edit: as long as we're doing random stats, here's what happens to the top ten if you go by total number of ballots each show was on, no matter the ranking:

Didn't realise it was so heavily in favour of the top 3 or that less than 10 votes gets you in the top 5. I wonder if knowing you only have 1 vote would make them disperse a bit or or make it even more top heavy.

The results are the least interesting thing about AOTY voting. 1 vote would prevent us from seeing people write up a bunch of interesting things about anime.

Jarmel

Banned

I'm really surprised that F/Z wasn't more popular on this forum than it was. I would have thought F/Z would have been more popular like Jojo or Shingeki.

Quasar

The results are the least interesting thing about AOTY voting. 1 vote would prevent us from seeing people write up a bunch of interesting things about anime.

Thats true. Seeing folks bring up shows I'd never even heard of, like Tsuritama, was much more valuable than seeing my beloved Hyouka triumph over all it surveys.

Branduil

I think the current voting format is fine. Maybe make a "preview" thread a couple of weeks before the voting where people can't vote, but can discuss nominees and recommend series to each other. That would be my idea anyway.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal II 116

Hopefully this is the last former villain teaming up with supporting character vs new one time villain where they give them a handicap from the very duel they are going to go through.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Basically, if you want the AotYs to be a equal and indiscriminate representation of what anime were most-enjoyed by all of NeoGAF, leave the rules as they are. If you want it to essentially be a high-visibility platform for AnimeGAF's favorites, amend the rules in a way that heightens the bar for voting participation. I'm not endorsing one path over the other, but this is the choice at the heart of the matter.

Tenumi

Banned
Wow... So I've been keeping track on how many Anime series/ovas/movies I complete per year. This year.... has been most productive. Or unproductive, depending how you look at it.

2008: 19
2009: 10
2010: 4
2011: 29
2012: 22
2013: 35

I think I'll break 40 before December...

santeesioux

Wow... So I've been keeping track on how many Anime series/ovas/movies I complete per year. This year.... has been most productive. Or unproductive, depending how you look at it.

Nothing good in 2010?

Jarmel

Banned
Basically, if you want the AotYs to be a equal and indiscriminate representation of what anime were most-enjoyed by all of NeoGAF, leave the rules as they are. If you want it to essentially be a high-visibility platform for AnimeGAF's favorites, amend the rules in a way that heightens the bar for voting participation. I'm not endorsing one path over the other, but this is the choice at the heart of the matter.

I would go with the latter. I feel like if people have only seen one anime or something than they probably shouldn't be voting.

Malgraph is good for this kind of stuff, though now they don't display the month to month data in chart form.

Madp!!!!!

I would go with the latter. I feel like if people have only seen one anime or something than they probably shouldn't be voting.

There's no minimum for the GOTYs, are there? Setting one just seems exclusionary to me. As madp said, a platform for the favorites of animegaf.

I was in some weird slump in 2010. Probably something to do with college.

I started K-ON!! on April 24, 2010, finished it on May 4, 2011, so sadly no.

The four are Seitokai no Ichizon, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Angel Beats, and So Ra No Wo To.
Oh, I thought this was by series that started in those years.

Soma

For every show you vote for that isn't in the top ten is a month ban.

Best OST / music this year?

Zetsuen no Tempest without contest imo

Gatchaman Crowds and Aku no Hana OSTs are my current favorites.

I still have this track from AnH on repeat every once in a while. So good.

Dresden

Ultimately, I think the fairest method of voting would be to send me pm's, so I can make a judgment call on each ballot and alter them as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom