• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

The pyramid in Raideen wasn't an organization's base though, but an actual ancient artifact...

Really, RahXephon takes story and stylish elements from Eva, alongside some stylish elements from Raideen. It's all concentrated from very specific sources, so I don't see why RahXephon fans get all up in arms about these accusations. The comparisons to Eva taking inspiration from earlier series aren't really fair. They generally involve focusing on small outlines of specific events, while completely ignoring context and style. Some of the comparisons are valid, but the fact that they need to be so empty show how much range Eva actually took with its inspirations, rather than focusing on very specific material.

Yes, RahXephon eventually has a different ending from Eva, and has a few different concepts (like the start in the false world), but the similarities are pretty strong during most of the show.
Allied organization and antagonist work in a similar way for most of the show, overall style of the series is pretty similar too (organization attempt to control mechas with powers beyond their control - mecha which aren't actually robots), featuring similarly bizarre monsters of the week, plot heads towards a similar direction too with
the true objective being making a god...
and even the ending itself seems to be intended to be a fan pleasing version of Eva's.

In several ways, it basically comes of like an Eva made by people who watched Eva but didn't like the conclusion much. Romance becomes a big focus in the ending, and the driving factor behind the characters, rather than just a minor factor of conflict for some cast members. Hayato also turns out to be "special" in several ways, while Shinji's "special" features turn out to be just due to the Eva's soul. RahXephon's instrumentability actually
rewrites reality - like many people thought Shinji could have done in Eva, even though the tv series/End of Eva itself never says that.
Because "rip-off" and "shot-by-shot" copy is massive exaggeration, no one would deny RahXephon pretty similar in take.. but as long there's strong fundamental that split it "shot-by-shot copy" is really offensive way to describe Rahxephon.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well, one has fake yuri and the other has a woman obsessed with the female lead and wants to be her pet. But sure. lol

Kiniro Mosaic has an all female main cast, and we were already hinted at OTPs. Your banking on a side character from d&s to get enough screen time to provide a yuri level on par with Kiniro Mosaic. I don't see it happening. :lol

Need doujins stat!

pelosiclinton2.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Love Lab 3

If this show is going where I think it's going then it sounds like it'll be amazing. I mean how can an odd jobs of love not be full of hilarious antics? Also didn't mind the drama, they generally acted rationally and talked things out and it looks like this particular issue is resolved enough to not really be brought up again. As far as serious elements in comedy shows go this was handled really smoothly compared to how Maoudonald's did it and that was already one of the better examples of how to do it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't mind the occasional dark humor but yeah, it was bad there for a while. Current "first post is always right" fad seems like it just encourages people to say stupid shit immediately for notoriety.

Somebody posting jacknicholsonnod.gif within the first five posts of that thread on the guy who got whacked for testifying against Whitey Bulger reminded me that I was slipping on my "stop reading OT entirely" policy.

Tenumi

Banned
I have bad news for everyone.

I dropped Love Lab.

So sad that I was so disappointed in it. I don't even know why, but nothing was hitting the mark for me. But hey, for everyone else, enjoy it!

cnet128

Banned

A time-travel blues image to go with the more positive time-travellers image? Very nice. (Or is this actually repeating time loops specifically?)

I don't recognise all those characters, though >.> If only it had a series list like the first image. I'm seeing Nagato, Rika, Homura and Okabe, but who are the other two?

...Is Homura trying to go through the door, or is she trying to turn off the lights with her rocket launcher?

She's striding purposefully because this is what Homuras do.

when they're not on a quest to obtain Madoka's pantsu, that is.

BluWacky

A time-travel blues image to go with the more positive time-travellers image? Very nice.

I don't recognise all those characters, though >.> If only it had a series list like the first image. I'm seeing Nagato, Rika, Homura and Okabe, but who are the other two?

The guy on the right with the glasses is "Watashi" from Tatami Galaxy.

To be honest, I think the other guy's Bill Murray in Groundhog Day...

survivor

Banned
The guy on the right with the glasses is "Watashi" from Tatami Galaxy.

Doesn't look like Bill Murray to me, at least the clothes don't resemble anything he wore in Ggroundhog Day.

edit: nvm, I thought that was a hoodie he was wearing and not a scarf.

cnet128

Banned

Ah, if that's meant to be Bill Murray, I guess it must be specifically about those pesky repeating time loops.

I can only presume there was one of those in Tatami Galaxy and Steins;Gate (I haven't seen any of the former and only a few episodes of the latter).

/XX/

The thing I like the most about Cerny is that depending on the angle he either looks adorable or a bit like a psychopath. I think it's the eyes.
He opens up those eyes showing like the innocent gaze of an marveled child loving what he does... but sometimes they seem too much wide open, yeah!

Ah, if that's meant to be Bill Murray, I guess it must be specifically about those pesky repeating time loops.

I can only presume there was one of those in Tatami Galaxy and Steins;Gate (I haven't seen any of the former and only a few episodes of the latter).

You should watch them, they're both excellent!

cnet128

Banned
Watch the former, skip the later and wait for the LN translation coming in a few months.

Eh, I don't need no translations. If I was going to pick up Steins;Gate, I'd just buy it for mah Vita. But I wasn't really feeling the series back when I watched the first few episodes of the anime, so I don't feel any great need to do that.

Tatami Galaxy I might want to check out at some point though, since it's only 11 episodes and by the same author as Uchouten Kazoku which I'm rather enjoying.

This is making me kind of maybe wish I watched Alternative, so that I could have actual opinions about it. I suspect I wouldn't hate it as much as you do, since I played and enjoyed the first Milky Holmes PSP game, and I'm guessing Alternative is along the same lines as that. That said, I do think the anime had its own thing going that was more fun than the games, and the two mediums should probably have stuck to their own styles (though I admit I wouldn't complain if the Milky Holmes girls actually got to hang on to their abilities in the anime for once =p)
Then go watch Alternative. It's awful, but supposedly is more like the PSP game, yes, so if you liked that, maybe you could tolerate it. But seriously, it should never have existed, and if the games really are like that, then that's really, really too bad. They could have done much better than that idiocy.

For instance, the Saki PSP games fit right in with the series and actually even apparently up the ante on yuri elements, and don't change the franchise tone (and of course, are mahjong games). It all fits with the way the show should be. The first Milky Holmes game released after the first season of the anime, there is no excuse! I understand that having them have powers still in the games (and thus also in Alternative) makes sense, but there was no reason that it couldn't have been done in a way that actually fits with the franchise -- ie, stick with the comedic tone that is the key to why the animes were good.

I dunno, that still kind of sounds better than a villain trying to
cover the whole world in lard
. God, that scenario from Milky Holmes S2 was borderline traumatic in its sheer gross-out factor XD
No, that ending part of Milky Holmes S2 was fantastic! It was funny, clever, original, worked well as comedy, connected to the earlier parts of the season
because of how it was all Milky Holmes' fault that it'd happened, since the guy only became the god of lard because Milky Holmes were kind of jerks, if 'unintentionally'
... it was nice to see some consequences for their extreme stupidity in the first half of the season. Overall, it was silly, good stuff. Alternative's serious plotline has no place in anything Milky Holmes related. It's a comedy series, not realistic crime drama. The harem element was even worse, but this was really, really bad.

Yeah, these two newcomers should really just get out. They're clearly inferior to the real Milky Holmes girls in every way. I also blame them for somehow making the OP suck compared to the first two series', even though I'm not sure if they're actually singing in it or not.
Well, we agree on this point at least, of the new characters. Yeah, they're not very good so far for sure.

I agree with all of the things that you just said. I still have some kind of vain hope that this series won't be disappointingly average, but all the signs are pointing that way.

It's weird, because if anything, the shorter episode format would have made more sense with a cute gag-based series than the more action-y tone they seem to be going for.
Agreed, short-episodes stuff usually are comedies, and there is probably a good reason for that... that they ignored with this series. Not a good decision.

Theonik

Eh, I don't need no translations. If I was going to pick up Steins;Gate, I'd just buy it for mah Vita. But I wasn't really feeling the series back when I watched the first few episodes of the anime, so I don't feel any great need to do that.
VN is a lot better than the anime but I guess that's fair.

cnet128

Banned
For instance, the Saki PSP games fit right in with the series and actually even apparently up the ante on yuri elements, and don't change the franchise tone (and of course, are mahjong games). It all fits with the way the show should be. The first Milky Holmes game released after the first season of the anime, there is no excuse! I understand that having them have powers still in the games (and thus also in Alternative) makes sense, but there was no reason that it couldn't have been done in a way that actually fits with the franchise -- ie, stick with the comedic tone that is the key to why the animes were good.

Well, even though the first anime aired before the PSP game, the franchise was always planned as a media-mix project, with the anime and games being developed simultaneously, and the games are officially considered the "original work" and the standard around which the series is based. So if anything, it's the first two anime series that are taking liberties in terms of tone. It's not really comparable to things like Saki where the games are basically just spinoffs.

But they did such a good job with the madcap comedy tone (especially in the first season) that a lot of people, myself included, prefer the anime. I think there's room for both styles, and anything that gives us more of the four (not six, and DEFINITELY not two) adorable Milky Holmes girls is great, but if I had to pick one I'd take the anime every time.

RWBY 1

When I watched the Red trailer, I was intrigued.
When I watched the White trailer, I was hyped.
When I watched the Black trailer, I was crushed.
When I watched the Yellow trailer, I was indifferent.

Now that I've watched the real thing... I have to say, I actually largely enjoyed it, despite the glaring flaws. It reminded me of the Saturday morning cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid. Will continue to follow, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom