• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Symphogear 3
Someone tell me if they do something interesting, like make all the Fine members actually evil instead of magical girls in waiting. I kind of doubt that it'll happen though.

If the fake yuri intensifies, should you be alerted so you can taunt SDBurton?

Terrible then. Wonder what happened considering most of it was recapping the previous episode. So lazy.

Maybe it was a 13.5 situation.

fertygo

Symphogear 3
Awt1pCTl.jpg

Yet another example of my pet peeve. I don't think anime will ever be able to do recorded footage right. Anime studios are just too cheap to "redraw" a scene from the proper camera angles.

Oldie show like VOTOMS does it right, further proof anime has declined.

Just kidding, I think mecha show like Gundam usually do like what you implying.

KBZBEIA.gif

Narag

Oldie show like VOTOMS does it right, further proof anime has declined.

Just kidding, I think mecha show like Gundam usually do like what you implying.

KBZBEIA.gif

Second Zeta movie had people watching a recorded video that was just an old episode playing. :(

fertygo

Terrible then. Wonder what happened considering most of it was recapping the previous episode. So lazy.

I wonder what you thinking about VOTOMS recap, its very absurd.. it was a recap, but its like they only merging like 2 episode and seem like making new narrative from it, weird.

Second Zeta movie had people watching a recorded video that was just an old episode playing. :(
LOL I rest my case then.

Articalys

Now I know why everyone's saying Funimation's site is fucking awful: even though they're free simulcasts for anyone, for some reason I couldn't even see the two newest episodes on their video page when I was logged out, but only once I logged in. What the hell is up with that?

And why would they post a notice about that almost an hour and a half AFTER the scheduled simulcast time? Fucking stupid.

Huh, maybe Funimation's Danganronpa simulcast won't be a week behind after all. They just posted a Twitter update saying there's two new episodes coming today.

Good for Funi.

Well, I may have mentioned the tie before, but to be fair it only went live for preorder on NISA's own site yesterday.

Did found it weird that NISA took so long to put it up when it was so close to release.

Now I know why everyone's saying Funimation's site is fucking awful: even though they're free simulcasts for anyone, for some reason I couldn't even see the two newest episodes on their video page when I was logged out, but only once I logged in. What the hell is up with that?

Maybe it's only free for people with accounts.

Narag

Gatchaman Crowds 2

Good ep. I wonder if the adapative OP has hints past doing stuff for the sake of cool. I guess Berg-Katze's suit will be visible toward the end in it. Hajime was much less overbearing this episode and better controlled the flow of things, I think. Wasn't really expecting Hajime to be a question mark in this either as I just assumed she'd be the standard conscripted girl. Between this and the second fight, my expectations have been way off thus far. Curious where GALAX and that mysterious X goes though.

I was glad it touched on the differing costumes. Figured it'd be something like this but it's nice to have confirmation.

Dartboard was a nice callback to Joe's proficiency with feather shurikens in the older stuff too. Kinda wished I'd gone through the earlier series before this came out to see what other subtle visual cues I might be missing out on.

Narag

But I can still watch episode 1 just fine when logged out. Anyway, shouldn't the episodes at least be visible to everyone, then display a message to log in if you try to watch them without an account?

I remember some of Funi's show pages wouldn't even have videos on them. PITA to navigate last I checked.

Jex

Hideaki Anno kind of did refer in the same way (on the liner notes for Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection SPECIAL Short Shorts) to that lack of energy and excitement (or "blood") in exchange of the further refinement on a needed to success formula:

This last part could perfectly be something to be remembered even nowadays by Mr. Anno himself, isn't it?!

Not to paint too simplistic a picture of the life of a studio, but surely what Anno is referring to is the energy and passion of a young studio. You can't expect the same studio, 30 years later, to have the same youthful enthusuaism and fervour, just like the youtuhl Studio Gainax that made The Wings of Honneamise isn't the same studio that made Medeka Box.

Theonik

If the fake yuri intensifies, should you be alerted so you can taunt SDBurton?

Maybe it was a 13.5 situation.
Not really excusable though!

another votoms wanking
Never a bad thing. Though wanking your Armoured Trooper is ill advised.

I wonder what you thinking about VOTOMS recap, its very absurd.. it was a recap, but its like they only merging like 2 episode and seem like making new narrative from it, weird.
Retellings like Anno recaps or Utena are fine. I haven't watched past the first arc of VOTOMS yet though.

Sunday Without God 2

Naturally more questions then answers were given in this episode. Still enjoying this but clearly it's going to be a rather slow burn.

jman2050

Love Lab 3

Damnit just when I was ready to declare Watamote my favorite this season this show ends up having an amazing third episode. Next Monogatari will do something awesome tomorrow and make things even harder on me argh.

So yeah, this show still owns a lot and the (former) president ended up being really funny after a somewhat tepid introduction last week. Totally on board this show till the end.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

And why would they post a notice about that almost an hour and a half AFTER the scheduled simulcast time? Fucking stupid.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I even had to validate I was a human being to enter their site because they think anyone outside the United States their premises are evil robots intent on stealing their precious anime.

Theonik

You not even getting the good stuff yet!
Wasn't anything like that, its a recap.
If getting through the destruction of Uoodo isn't even getting to the good stuff I'm hyped. It's on the backburner though. Will bea time till I can get time to watch another arc.

Narag

Yeah.. but I want to give it a bit gap after finish the series..

That one is the closest to the series in quality and I think actually takes place between Uoodo City and Kummen. Should check it out while the series is fresh then watch the rest later because ew.

Andrew J.

Not to paint too simplistic a picture of the life of a studio, but surely what Anno is referring to is the energy and passion of a young studio. You can't expect the same studio, 30 years later, to have the same youthful enthusuaism and fervour, just like the youtuhl Studio Gainax that made The Wings of Honneamise isn't the same studio that made Medeka Box.

Can you really talk about an organization having "youth" like that, though? If a studio brings in an influx of new talent its output would have that energy and passion again.

To your example specifically, isn't there very little staffing continuity between the Gainax of the '80s and the Gainax of today? The disparity would have very little to do with the aging of the corporate entity, I think.

Jex

Can you really talk about an organization having "youth" like that, though? If a studio brings in an influx of new talent its output would have that energy and passion again.

To your example specifically, isn't there very little staffing continuity between the Gainax of the '80s and the Gainax of today? The disparity would have very little to do with the aging of the corporate entity, I think.

I think if you can if you talk about the amount of creative control Miyazaki and Takahata have had over the studio since it's inception until today it's those same two dudes making their major movies every single time. The amount of control they exercise over the studio is huge and it's well known that they push out or stifle new, youthful talent e.g. Hosoda. The creative talent behind the studio is wizened and dying. Just look at the (relatively) youthful energy of a studio like Trigger and see how it shines through in their productions.

Devils and Realist 2

The speech about atoms got to me, also interesting development that the butler has the ring and seemingly knows it's purpose.

fertygo

That one is the closest to the series in quality and I think actually takes place between Uoodo City and Kummen. Should check it out while the series is fresh then watch the rest later because ew.

Eh.. Big battle looks fun. the 94's one does look like crap, ok will do it soon.

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 14

Pretty boring episode. Mostly uninformative info dumps and recap. I'm guessing this was a split-cour show or this is pretty bad. Oh well. New OP and ED are nice though I don't think I like them as much as the first set. (second OP has some fantastic visuals however)

I think I liked the new OP the most, actually. In E7 OP 2 > OP 4 > OP 1 > Anything else > OP3. I hated OP 3 a lot, from what I recall.

And like fertygo said, recap episodes are the disgusting habit of all long running anime shows. The only show's I've seen handle it in a way I could tolerate were Martian Successor Nadesico and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Maybe you gotta be Adjective Noun Name to do it, I dunno.

In other news, Adjective Noun Name and its successor Punctuation; Marks are the best new anime I'm definitely not making up.

Narag

RWBY 1

Givinig it another shot since I was in a surly mood last night. Still bad though.

• Intro seems entirely unnecessary, like story added as an afterthought to excuse action sequences.
  • Antagonist far too reminiscent of Alex de Large in design.
  • Dust shop (Why are they selling this amazing power that drove away the darkness???) looks like an RPG item shop.
  • Mook animation is stiff and the cel shading or whatever does them little favor.
  • Action never really seems to hit its stride, instead being interrupted by awkward animation.
  • Wish the writing was a little tighter and less cliche.
  • LIked the music.
  • I think there'll be a couple decent episodes out of this as the staff gets a better handle on things.
  • Amazingly, the CG looks better than the 2D animation.

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode 2 (Not) Normal Arc: Kill and Live

Well thought this would stay down with Gatchaman Crowds for worst anime of the season Im watching, but this episode 2 really blew me away
Getting rid of some of the worst characters on the cast worked wonders, if more house cleaning can be done and Ishimaru, megane, and Naegi be spared, then I think this will move into must buy territory.
. The staff must be praised.

OP song is hot, the lady is really into it,

Love Lab 3

Love%20Lab%20-%2003.jpg

What a beautifull day for misunderstandings.

Episode 3 wasn't that bad but lacked enough jokes .. It was mostly the final nail to finish the structure of the comedy later so i won't complain much ..but heck if it wasn't predictable on all fronts.

Now we can trully focus on the comedy next week

Jarmel

Banned
I think I liked the new OP the most, actually. In E7 OP 2 > OP 4 > OP 1 > Anything else > OP3. I hated OP 3 a lot, from what I recall.

This is actually something where I've switched a lot compared to when I first watched the show. Initially I liked OP3 the most. 3>1>2>4 I hated the Engrish so much in the 4th one and thought it was way too overhanded. I've kinda come around on it. Now it's 1>2>4>3. Mostly due to how bad the animation is in the 3rd OP.

CorvoSol

This is actually something where I've switched a lot compared to when I first watched the show. Initially I liked OP3 the most. 3>1>2>4 I hated the Engrish so much in the 4th one and thought it was way too overhanded. I've kinda come around on it. Now it's 1>2>4>3. Mostly due to how bad the animation is in the 3rd OP.

I think I hated the 3rd OP because of the screamin'. I can deal with plenty of different things in anime music, but I dislike screamin'. Kinda why I disliked "I COTIBUE TO FAAID I COTIBUE TO FAAAAAAID." In Code Geass' R2.

Tenumi

Banned

I just finished the show a couple months back and I can't even remember which OP is which. I guess they just have such little effect on me when I'm watching.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gatchaman Crowds 2

Total improvement. I've decided to simply stop letting my perception of Hajime be colored by what other anime do with her character type because it's clear at this point that there's a thematic undercurrent exploring the barriers that people create between each other, and Hajime's lack of inhibition and total disregard for traditional conceptions of authority have actual purpose. I mean, come on; if
Gatchaman armor is the symbolic manifestation of its user's soul
, Hajime being represented by scissors basically cements what her purpose in events is. Perhaps also pertinent to my change of heart, she's just really really fucking cute and I can no longer pretend that I'm not lapping it up.

There were several interesting plot threads introduced here, but instead of speculating I'll simply say that I'm fully engaged now.
Social networking manipulated for nefarious purposes is a relatively new concept that I enjoy seeing in science fiction. The possibilities for GALAX to work as a destructive force seem endless; there's something distinctly dystopian earning "points" for getting help for a medical emergency or, I suppose more specifically, the possibility that humans are now motivated to perform good deeds just to increase a "score". This seems an all too easy method to condition people to behave in particular ways and I await seeing how Hajime's personal philosophy brings her into conflict with GALAX, especially considering that she seems to be a heavy user herself.

Let's Play! Suite Precure: 18

A little fanservice for some of you here...

Anyway, for some odd reason a bunch of notes appear so both sides of the story try to collect as many as they can. Then, of course, they battle and the Precure get caught in a bind and Cure Muse saves them and everything is fine and dandy.
Then Cure Muse releases most of the notes.
What a sore winner.

One of two of Cure Muse's assholery moments while in disguise.

3rd Season of Hajime no Ippo to air this Fall, my body is ready. The manliest anime returns!

Oh boy.

cnet128

Banned
Why would the game be the "original work"? Is there proof of that somewhere that you have?

Source ripped shamelessly from Wikipedia: this article. The specific relevant lines being:

article said:
木谷氏は,「探偵オペラ ミルキィホームズ」の“原作”は実はゲームであると話し,「普通原作は最初に来るんですけど,今回はゲームが最後に来るっていう世にも稀な展開になってしまいました」と,本作の展開について話した。
translation said:
Kidani explained that the "original work" of "Tantei Opera Milky Holmes" is actually the game, saying "normally the original work comes first, but this time it somehow ended up as an unusual case where the game is released last."

I don't agree that both styles are needed; the Alternative version should not exist.

Well, I feel like it would be awkward to create a perfectly good detective series with supernatural elements and then almost completely omit all detective elements and the main characters' supernatural abilities from the story, which is what the anime essentially did. Particularly since the anime takes for granted that the Milky Holmes girls have done lots of successful detective work in the past and made a name for themselves, but then doesn't show any of that. I think the games' style has its place if only to properly portray the actual detective-ing side of the series for people who want to see it.

I know I personally felt a little ripped off when the anime set the girls up as detectives with special powers and then did next to nothing with that setup, even going so far as to pointedly
take away their powers again at the end of the series just after they had recovered them
as if to taunt the viewers with that possibility. The game satisfied my desire to see more of the girls doing what their job description actually states, and while after seeing both I feel lie the anime was probably stronger, I still think both are worthwhile routes for the series to pursue, and it would feel awkward to abandon either.

so yeah, what really matters is what worked best, not whatever they were thinking of as the "original work".

...Well, if we want to go that route, may I cast a vote for the OP singles being considered the "original work"? =p <3

My baby nephew has great taste in anime, He stopped crying after I showed him LWA.

Awwwwww yeahhhhhhhh.

Well thought this would stay down with Gatchaman Crowds for worst anime of the season Im watching, but this episode 2 really blew me away
Getting rid of some of the worst characters on the cast worked wonders, if more house cleaning can be done and Ishimaru, megane, and Naegi be spared, then I think this will move into must buy territory.

Oh, silly me, I thought you didn't like character deaths, but of course
if it's not your beloved men dying you're all for it

Could you not at least show a little more support for Oowada? Dude is awesome.

Why are your opinions so wrong? The OP is a bastardisation of the game's instrumental opening theme which is trying to be like Meguro's work on Persona and failing to match up on any level.

The staff must be praised ?

Just so you know this is the laziest game to anime conversion i've ever seen.
There was like 0 effort done to adapt the story properly and the events don't flow well either. There is no character develloppement because the characters don't act with each other enough to the point that the viewer has no chance to see past the first impression based on the design. When you factor in that all of them have multiples face and plenty of squelletons in their closet , this is nothing but a disgrace.

The team reused the movies, the quick event pictures and even the climax battle straight from the game ( you'll see what they are in ep 3 this isn't a spoiler ), no conversions AT ALL.

THIS IS THE LAZIEST WORK i've ever seen

And the opening song is nothing that a bad version of an awesome theme, again they just killed something great.

fertygo

I think I hated the 3rd OP because of the screamin'. I can deal with plenty of different things in anime music, but I dislike screamin'. Kinda why I disliked "I COTIBUE TO FAAID I COTIBUE TO FAAAAAAID." In Code Geass' R2.

What you dislike O2? SMH.

Kidding, I can understand.. at least its sound great at Z2-2.

You have same problem with "JIBUUUN WOOOOOO" and "SEKAI WO NAKAAAAAAA" too then>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom