• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
This is actually something where I've switched a lot compared to when I first watched the show. Initially I liked OP3 the most. 3>1>2>4 I hated the Engrish so much in the 4th one and thought it was way too overhanded. I've kinda come around on it. Now it's 1>2>4>3. Mostly due to how bad the animation is in the 3rd OP.

I think I hated the 3rd OP because of the screamin'. I can deal with plenty of different things in anime music, but I dislike screamin'. Kinda why I disliked "I COTIBUE TO FAAID I COTIBUE TO FAAAAAAID." In Code Geass' R2.

Personally I feel like the first two OPs for E7 are just awesome as fuck in general, the fourth is probably the weakest but still pretty good, and the third OP is a weird case: the actual full single version is probably my favourite of all the OPs, but the version used in the show sounds pretty goddamn awful in comparison and may actually be my least favourite.

EDIT: Also, it just occurred to me that it seems bizarrely appropriate that Corvo's been watching Eureka Seven, Code Geass and Madoka in such close proximity, since those are the three series I've made English versions of the OPs for over the years. I already linked Connect earlier (and I think that's the one I did the best job on), but the other two songs I did years before that were COLORS and Taiyou no Mannaka e.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gatcha Gatcha 2
Hajime is annoying, second ep is alright even though it suffers from the ol' "protagonist is always right".

Oh, silly me, I thought you didn't like character deaths, but of course
if it's not your beloved men dying you're all for it

Could you not at least show a little more support for Oowada? Dude is awesome.

Why are your opinions so wrong? The OP is a bastardisation of the game's instrumental opening theme which is trying to be like Meguro's work on Persona and failing to match up on any level.

Well I will be sad if the programmer girl (best skills) and Fukawa (best voice for a female character in anime) end up meeting that fate too.

The staff must be praised ?

Just so you know this is the laziest game to anime conversion i've ever seen.
There was like 0 effort done to adapt the story properly and the events don't flow well either. There is no character develloppement because the characters don't act with each other enough to the point that the viewer has no chance to see past the first impression based on the design. When you factor in that all of them have multiples face and plenty of squelletons in their closet , this is nothing but a disgrace.

The team reused the movies, the quick event pictures and even the climax battle straight from the game ( you'll see what they are in ep 3 this isn't a spoiler ), no conversions AT ALL.

THIS IS THE LAZIEST WORK i've ever seen

And the opening song is nothing that a bad version of an awesome theme, again they just killed something great.

It's that bad huh?

Guess I should watch the Let's Play afterall.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the fake yuri intensifies, should you be alerted so you can taunt SDBurton?
He does it to himself!
;)

Oldie show like VOTOMS does it right, further proof anime has declined.

Just kidding, I think mecha show like Gundam usually do like what you implying.

http://i.imgur.com/KBZBEIA.gif
But did they show that exact same scene earlier in the series from a different perspective?!

Second Zeta movie had people watching a recorded video that was just an old episode playing. :(
RIP anime.

CorvoSol

What you dislike O2? SMH.

Kidding, I can understand.. at least its sound great at Z2-2.

You have same problem with "JIBUUUN WOOOOOO" and "SEKAI WO NAKAAAAAAA" too then>?

Nah, cuz singing stuff loudly is different from shouting stuff in Engrish. I liked the OP1 of Geass more than OP2 for all kinds a reasons, though. "I continue to fight" is just like, the easiest one to put into words.

Personally I feel like the first two OPs for E7 are just awesome as fuck in general, the fourth is probably the weakest but still pretty good, and the third OP is a weird case: the actual full single version is probably my favourite of all the OPs, but the version used in the show sounds pretty goddamn awful in comparison and may actually be my least favourite.

I didn't like OP4 much at first, but that stupid "Cherry Brossom Cherry Brossom" got stuck in my head during a REALLY boring class and the song took Stockholme of my mind.

Sometimes I react poorly to things initially, but they leave good after tastes. Utena was "okay" at first but the more I mulled the taste in my mouth, the better I liked it. Some things age well.

cnet128

Banned
Well I will be sad if the programmer girl (best skills) and Fukawa (best voice for a female character in anime) end up meeting that fate too.

I find this inordinately amusing for reasons I can't state for fear of spoilers.

I didn't like OP4 much at first, but that stupid "Cherry Brossom Cherry Brossom" got stuck in my head during a REALLY boring class and the song took Stockholme of my mind.

SAYONARA FALL IN LOOOOOOOOVE

I gotta love Nirgilis, if only for the great ending theme they did for D.Gray-man back in the day.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Why does Arve Rezzle get no love, we fans want stuff too, unfair that LWA gets all attention.
Because Arve Rezzle is
IeSjw.gif

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I gotta love Nirgilis, if only for the great ending theme they did for D.Gray-man back in the day.

Their OP for Birdy the Mighty: Decode is ace. It's a crime that they weren't used for more OPs/EDs.

If anyone here has not yet seen Birdy the Mighty: Decode, please watch it. I'm asking nicely.

It's that bad huh?

Guess I should watch the Let's Play afterall.
Yeah it's that rushed .

At first during episode 1 i thought that they were just cramming the prologue in to get in the good thing faster and then episode 2 arrived where they followed the main storyline but forgot to include the stuff that was required.
Then ep3 were they just forgot that this wasn't a game anymore.

My advice ? either play the fan translated game or wait for NISA to bring the game on vita ... watching the anime is the best way to experience the thing wrong leading to a twisted view on what the game is.

Imagine what you'll think if you had a large chunk of her story making the character even more awesome removed ?i can take bets ..it'll happen.
I find this inordinately amusing for reasons I can't state for fear of spoilers.
Why did you click on the spoiler ? did you expect a spoiler here ? too bad , there isn't any !

Theonik

Why does Arve Rezzle get no love, we fans want stuff too, unfair that LWA gets all attention.
Because LWA is actually good. You are probably among the only people that even remember Arve Rezzle even exists.

And like fertygo said, recap episodes are the disgusting habit of all long running anime shows. The only show's I've seen handle it in a way I could tolerate were Martian Successor Nadesico and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Maybe you gotta be Adjective Noun Name to do it, I dunno.
But Adjective Noun Name is one of the most played out anime naming schemes out there. Hell you can further boil it down to descriptor 1, descriptor 2, main thing in this show.
That would imply that most anime do recaps right!

Silver Spoon 2

Awe man alone with Mikage for a week taking care of horses, this is going to either be a great chance or a complete disaster. Waiting for Hachiken to finally open up to someone and admit the truth about why he came to this school.

fertygo

The best song from E7 is ED3.. or Songwriter.
But did they show that exact same scene earlier in the series from a different perspective?!
Yeah.

http://min.us/lLRPgvGLUi6Ay
Nah, cuz singing stuff loudly is different from shouting stuff in Engrish. I liked the OP1 of Geass more than OP2 for all kinds a reasons, though. "I continue to fight" is just like, the easiest one to put into words.

Of course, the first OP are iconic.. Great OP is when you can identify it fast with the show.

Syrinx

Got Steins;Gate part 1 today, giving me the complete series. I really hope I enjoy it, otherwise I'll feel stupid for having invested as much money as I have without even seeing the damn thing first. But impressions around here seem very positive, so I'm optimistic.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well yes, you even commented about it when it was first revealed.

Wasn't available on the store then, that was just the reveal for the preorder bonus.

I do want it. I don't know if I am willing to part ways with even more money in August since I am buying like three PS3 games that month. :\

I can't spring for it right now either, sadly. This is the only thing I regret about buying DW8 on a whim this week :lol

Danganronpa: The Animation Episode 2 (Not) Normal Arc: Kill and Live

Well thought this would stay down with Gatchaman Crowds for worst anime of the season Im watching, but this episode 2 really blew me away
Getting rid of some of the worst characters on the cast worked wonders, if more house cleaning can be done and Ishimaru, megane, and Naegi be spared, then I think this will move into must buy territory.
. The staff must be praised.

OP song is hot, the lady is really into it,

wwwwwwwww, I am not surprised.

Behold, the first trailer for the live-action Daily Lives of High School Boys movie:

http://eiga.com/movie/78605/video/

Wasn't feeling it at the start but once they got to school, yep, I wanna watch this.

Yeah it's that rushed .

At first during episode 1 i thought that they were just cramming the prologue in to get in the good thing faster and then episode 2 arrived where they followed the main storyline but forgot to include the stuff that was required.
Then ep3 were they just forgot that this wasn't a game anymore.

My advice ? either play the fan translated game or wait for NISA to bring the game on vita ... watching the anime is the best way to experience the thing wrong leading to a twisted view on what the game is.

I'm fine just watching a walkthrough.

Can't play the game anyway with my PSP back home and not having any intention of buying a Vita.

Dead

well not really...yet
But, but, it has a "secret base" song that doesn't go "Kimi to natsu no owari, shourai no yume..."!

(You're so right though.)
I've never heard of another secret base anime song, bit im confident it's nowhere near as good/memorable!

CorvoSol

\

But Adjective Noun Name is one of the most played out anime naming schemes out there. Hell you can further boil it down to descriptor 1, descriptor 2, main thing in this show.
That would imply that most anime do recaps right!

Well I haven't seen enough Punctuation; Marks to know if it is better than Adjective Noun Name.

The best song from E7 is ED3.. or Songwriter.
Yeah.

http://min.us/lLRPgvGLUi6Ay

Of course, the first OP are iconic.. Great OP is when you can identify it fast with the show.

Is ED3 Tip Tups or whatever? I kinda liked that one.

cnet128

Banned
I've never heard of another secret base anime song, bit im confident it's nowhere near as good/memorable!

First ED is called Himitsukichi, which means..."secret base". It's pretty good, though not as classic as the actual Secret Base.

Is ED3 Tip Tups or whatever? I kinda liked that one.

Yessssh. Halcali for the win.

Actually, secret best song related to Eureka Seven (tangentially) is Weekend, one of the B-sides from the ED4 single. (One day I will successfully sing the second-verse rap without tying my tongue in knots...)

Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation - 2

Hoping too see more Neptune, got more Blanc and sisters instead. It's okay i guess, gotta let other characters have their screen time too. Fans of the game probably in for the surprise because
Abnes, Miss Underling (aka Linda) and Trick make an appearance
on this episode.
Yes, Trick. It's loli licking time.
ED was glorious too, probably the best ED of the season, just because i laugh so much and then shake my head in disbelief.

Also, this must be always on kinect issue reference, there is no other explanation.

Articalys

Danganronpa The Animation ep.3

Don't have a PSP or Vita, don't plan on getting either in the near future, and I'm finding this satisfactory so far. Whether or not the anime handles things well as the cases get more complex remains to be seen, but I'll keep watching for now. Yeah, it got a bit more videogamey with the interface than probably necessary for an adaptation,
and it definitely seemed like the execution scene at the end was a cutscene ripped straight from the game, artstyle and all
, but it wasn't too bad. I really like the music too.

Also, as usual, you guys are terrible at implicating things while still trying to be spoiler-free.

Theonik

Eureka Seven 15
This was a pretty funny episode before the ending.
That ending though. Renton really can't catch a break. Eureka is beyond his ability to understand it seems. (or for anyone at this point for that matter)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Love Lab 3

Power struggle shit is over, amazing animation is back. Got what I wanted. Now stay this way.

cnet128

Banned

I wonder where this naming scheme started. Is it just everyone aping Super Sentai (which has always and will always follow the scheme "Adjective Sentai Nounranger"), or does it go back further than that? EDIT: Actually, it can't have started with Super Sentai, since the likes of "Science Ninja-Team Gatchaman" predate it.

Either way, the "standard magical girl series naming scheme" seems to be directly derived from this, with the additional requirement that the final name also include some kind of descriptor, for a four-word title in total. Pretty sure that one must have started with "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon", and then everyone and their mother followed suit. To the point where "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha" just inserts the random word "Lyrical" in there for the heck of it, and "Magical Girl Madoka Magica" contains two separate words meaning "magical".

Gatchman Crowds 02

Hm, this whole GALAX thing is very interesting to me. It kinda reminds me of the whole Summer Wars world having a giant social network service that's almost running the world or whatnot.

Hajime is still too much to deal with at this point. But at least they are building up this world even more and I wouldn't mind know more about this.

Also, more FABULOUS MAMORU MIYANO PLEASE.

School Days - 9

OH COME ON.

NOW ANOTHER GIRL WANTS MAKOTO? Since when did he become so popular? How does this person not have the common sense to run away from these situations? If I didn't lose any shred of respect for that character before, I do now. No one with common sense wouldn't run away from that situation.

Quasar

Silver Spoon #2 - Not bad. Yugo's club choice bites him in the arse. As expected. A little bit of development of other characters. I am finding it pleasant and unusual purely from the setting. The art for the animals, something people seem to struggle with, quite good.

CorvoSol

Bad;Punctuation is very obviously the inferior fad.

I really prefer Apostrophe' though. It's hip.

Eureka Seven 15

This was a pretty funny episode before the ending.
That ending though. Renton really can't catch a break. Eureka is beyond his ability to understand it seems. (or for anyone at this point for that matter)

To be Renton is to suffer. One of the things I like about Renton, though, is that he manages to be a loser without bowling over into the melodrama and also avoids being Mr. Cool Guy at the same time. I mean, it's all well and good for Kamina and Domon Kasshu to be Mr. Cool Guy, and for Shinji to be Bed Wetting Shinji, but having a guy who's just sort of a guy (and not a Gundam "I am a normal high schooler" guy) is what sets Renton and MSN's Akito Tenkawa apart for me. Which is part of why I didn't like Prince of Darkness, I think. They made Akito all dark and cool, when Akito being cool sort of went against everything his character stood for.

But yeah, Renton has to earn errythang in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom