• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

you don't need to see the films at all, they are going to be included in db super as arcs with content before (likely in-between) and after them before they move onto the new big story arc.

I haven't really been looking into this series which is super weird as I was a massive fan when I was younger, so I know nothing about the specifics. I guess I just don't have time for long shows these days so I don't want to jump in if this is some long ass show like DBZ of the past, which I'm guessing it will be. I guess these shows just don't work for me these days because I don't simulcast but I don't watch TV either and if it's long you can kiss buying it on BD goodbye, but if it turns out to be a bit shorter maybe I'll wait for home release and pick it up that way, which by at point it'll be off my radar (if it was even on it on the first place). The circle of life.

convo

Isn't it kind of risque to have a title that references Star☆Jewel of all things? It's not even a current show!

I would need to branch out to statistical thermodynamics to determine when the next one of these will get released. Wait it out and it's gonna happen eventually. Somehow someway something similar will get released again and i would still be pumped.

zulux21

I haven't really been looking into this series which is super weird as I was a massive fan when I was younger, so I know nothing about the specifics. I guess I just don't have time for long shows these days so I don't want to jump in if this is some long ass show like DBZ of the past, which I'm guessing it will be. I guess these shows just don't work for me these days because I don't simulcast but I don't watch TV either and if it's long you can kiss buying it on BD goodbye, but if it turns out to be a bit shorter maybe I'll wait for home release and pick it up that way, which by at point it'll be off my radar (if it was even on it on the first place). The circle of life.

rumors are super will be over 100 episodes.

also funimation likely has chaos dragon as one of their two unannounced titles (leaving the final slot for super ideally)

Crocodile

The art and design of Watchmen is rooted in the template of what superheroes look like historically in western comics. It makes sense to me that when attempting to make something like that based in Japanese culture, that the art and design would be rooted in the template of what superheroes look like historically in Japanese manga and anime - Cyborg 009, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Sailor Moon, Tetsujin-28, etc. I think we'll probably be seeing a good mix of that sort of look, but adapted to a modern anime art style.

I mean I'm not expecting Batman expys but when someone says "Japanese Watchmen", I'm expecting the cast of Ghost in the Shell in Kamen Rider outfits, not the cast of Seraph of the End. As an example, a "Silk Spectre" Magical Woman sounds like it could be a platform for a discussion on the role of "growing up" or something. There's not nearly as many interesting things you can do with yet another 14 year old Magical Girl. Watchmen doesn't work work unless the cast is all GROWN ASS ADULTS and the first promo image I see is two teenagers and a little girl? Not the most encouraging first impression.

Crocodile

Yeeaahhh I'm just going to ignore DBS then. I don't why (probably because I'm a stupid fool that doesn't know how making money works) but I was hoping that it was just a short 13 episode little fun thing when it was announced.

Huh? Why the hell would they bother bringing back Dragon Ball to TV for a one cour run? You need to have some even remotely realistic expectations. As if they would put OVA animation or award winning writers on a 13 episode Dragon Ball series anyway LOL.

zulux21

So what's the chance of Summer Season turning out to be shit?
are we considering the continuation of food wars to be part of the summer season? if so 0% chance.

if not 5% chance as given bones is doing Akagami no Shirayuki-hime with what appears to be their A team at the very least that should be a good watch.

in general a number of shows are catching my interest this season though.
Yeeaahhh I'm just going to ignore DBS then. I don't why (probably because I'm a stupid fool that doesn't know how making money works) but I was hoping that it was just a short 13 episode little fun thing when it was announced.

well to be fair the movies were basically what you wanted. i haven't seen the second movie but the first one was basically a 13 episode arc trimmed down to about 6 episodes in length by removing proper build up to the big battle and proper build up to the power up as well as side character hi-jinks (all of which I hope are in the new version in super)

Midonin

Ah, so Chaos Dragon goes to Funi then. I'm not expecting Symphogear to get licensed, so that should take me up to Monday - where I'm expecting CR to get NNB and TLRD. As well as Monster Girls, School LIve, Umaru, and most of the remaining shorts.

e_i

Gatchaman Crowds Insight episode 0

Wait, since when is Rui
a Gatchaman?
And where did he get that bad ass car? And yea,
O.D. is back.

javac

Huh? Why the hell would they bother bringing back Dragon Ball to TV for a one cour run? You need to have some even remotely realistic expectations. As if they would put OVA animation or award winning writers on a 13 episode Dragon Ball series anyway LOL.

I even said right there that I was stupid for thinking so, I hadn't kept up with anything in regards to the project other than "Oh a new Dragon Ball series, cool" and thought that it might be a little short thing like an episodic "here's what the Z Fighters has been up to after the events of..." affair like some anniversary bullshit. I never said anything about the quality of the animation or writing so no idea what you're on about at all on that front, very strange, but sure.

well to be fair the movies were basically what you wanted. i haven't seen the second movie but the first one was basically a 13 episode arc trimmed down to about 6 episodes in length by removing proper build up to the big battle and proper build up to the power up as well as side character hi-jinks (all of which I hope are in the new version in super)
Yeah I guess the films are more for me. I just want to see the character I grew up with for a short time and then jump out without all of the intricacies, world building and such. Just a fun little romp that doesn't over stay its welcome, "okay Goku did some shit, laters!" and the films probably serve that purpose. I was excited for them for that exact reason when they were announced but they just came and went and I never got around to watching them.

duckroll

I mean I'm not expecting Batman expys but when someone says "Japanese Watchmen", I'm expecting the cast of Ghost in the Shell in Kamen Rider outfits, not the cast of Seraph of the End. As an example, a "Silk Spectre" Magical Woman sounds like it could be a platform for a discussion on the role of "growing up" or something. There's not nearly as many interesting things you can do with yet another 14 year old Magical Girl. Watchmen doesn't work work unless the cast is all GROWN ASS ADULTS and the first promo image I see is two teenagers and a little girl? Not the most encouraging first impression.

I think it's merely a problem of expectations. You associate Watchmen with "adult comic book" and so you expect something inspired by Watchmen to take the "adult" part of the concept as inspiration. That's not the case here. The inspiration taken from Watchmen is clearly the idea of telling a story about superhero archetypes populating a modern real world setting with an alternate history. There are other comics which have also explored this concept - Rising Stars and The Twelve for example. But Watchmen is clearly the most well known and the forerunner in this regard.

It's true that the characters in all these stories are adults, but that's also a reflection of western superhero culture - the characters are mostly all grown adults, originally created so kids can look up to them. Japanese hero culture is very different. It's more juvenile, the characters tend to be much younger so the target audiences can relate to them, rather than to look up to them. This results in a different tone of storytelling, and for better or for worse, it has defined a large portion of the foundations in Japanese entertainment. So by drawing inspiration for an alternate reality contemporary story about heroes populating Tokyo, this is about what I would expect. Having adult main characters is hardly a prerequisite. It is important to note that the attempt here is probably not to tell a Watchmen style story, but rather to tell a story in a Watchmen inspired narrative setting transplanted for Japan.

JCG

Code Geass Akito the Exiled 3

Pretty cool. I'm mostly satisfied with what happened here (the literal and figurative fanservice didn't bother me, if you must ask). It does feel a fifth entry is necessary to reach a proper conclusion after all.

First half was a mix of hit-or-miss comedy and typical bond building, in a sense, with a few nice character development scenes plus some rather transparent foreshadowing (death flags and/or red herrings included). I've already accepted the story structure they're working with here doesn't rely on a particularly fast pace despite the release format and that's just fine for me.

Second half was more focused on political intrigue plus the usual Geass-style over-the-top plans involving public bluffs and silly trolling, in case people were missing that. The Knightmare Frame combat looked good too. Speaking of which...
Shin
wouldn't have gained anything by killing
"Julius"
at the very end of the battle.
Suzaku clearly had the upper hand and would have ruined everything. The important thing was to get rid of Kingsley, not necessarily kill him for real. He's already screwed up now and his cover is blown. Striking a deal, which they implied is what happened, seems more reasonable on paper. Of course that's not the end of it, but Shin seems too overly confident about the rest of his game plan to care.

As for the Geass lore contents...I think they are simultaneously trying to create parallel connections to what little we already knew (say, C.C. has in fact had other contrators before Lelouch) and include new material that expands the borders of the universe. But I'd argue that's fair, considering the original show did not remotely explain everything. Still, it's too early to make a good case either for or against the specific details involved without more information.

It's the correct audio masters this time, apparently the Bandai ones were trash quality and all wrong.

Bang Zoom, who did the authoring of the Bandai BDs for K-On!, encoded the audio tracks for both languages in the standard 192kbps Dolby Digital format for DVD. Instead of re-doing another track and since the masters had already been sent to TBS, they had to use that for the Blu-rays. People blame TBS for it because they restricted the extras Bandai could use (no textless OP/ED, no Ura-On! shorts, no Aki interview, had to make their own ones), but the screwup likely came from Bang Zoom since they were in charge of everything audio-wise.

I personally noticed a big difference in the quality once I got my JP BD-Box earlier this year, but others may not. I kinda miss the dub as that was a good one, but the whole yen=dollars still annoys me.

Crocodile

I even said right there that I was stupid for thinking so, I hadn't kept up with anything in regards to the project other than "Oh a new Dragon Ball series, cool" and thought that it might be a little short thing like an episodic "here's what the Z Fighters has been up to after the events of..." affair like some anniversary bullshit. I never said anything about the quality of the animation or writing so no idea what you're on about at all on that front, very strange, but sure.

Well I thought it was important I remind you of that stupidity!

No but seriously, I content missed the parentheses - my bad. My experience has been when someone says they will skip something due to its length but with regards to starting on the ground floor rather than catching up like with say Gintama, its usually because they feel the length of the series will inhibit the product. If anything, I'd be more worried about the show because of Toei and the fact that they like to "Toei" so many things up rather than the length specifically :p

I think it's merely a problem of expectations. You associate Watchmen with "adult comic book" and so you expect something inspired by Watchmen to take the "adult" part of the concept as inspiration. That's not the case here. The inspiration taken from Watchmen is clearly the idea of telling a story about superhero archetypes populating a modern real world setting with an alternate history. There are other comics which have also explored this concept - Rising Stars and The Twelve for example. But Watchmen is clearly the most well known and the forerunner in this regard.

It's true that the characters in all these stories are adults, but that's also a reflection of western superhero culture - the characters are mostly all grown adults, originally created so kids can look up to them. Japanese hero culture is very different. It's more juvenile, the characters tend to be much younger so the target audiences can relate to them, rather than to look up to them. This results in a different tone of storytelling, and for better or for worse, it has defined a large portion of the foundations in Japanese entertainment. So by drawing inspiration for an alternate reality contemporary story about heroes populating Tokyo, this is about what I would expect. Having adult main characters is hardly a prerequisite. It is important to note that the attempt here is probably not to tell a Watchmen style story, but rather to tell a story in a Watchmen inspired narrative setting transplanted for Japan.

I mean its the director himself saying he was inspired by Watchmen right? You can't name drop Watchmen to someone who is familiar with it and NOT have them expect "grown ass adults", "edgy", etc. That's on him not me because, as you've said, if all your taking from it is "superheros in the open in the modern day" then there are plenty of other shows/comics that did that. Hell why not name drop say Teen Titans?

As for your later point, yeah I'm aware of those general cultural differences (to my dismay - though if all the kid shows were as well written and entertaining as say Teen Titans I'd be cool with that. But they aren't!). However its not like Japan can't tell interesting stories with adults (though you know that of course :p). Hell the reason Tiger & Bunny was so entertaining (and it was very popular in Japan) is because almost all the relevant characters were grown ass adults. I'd LOVE another "Tiger & Bunny" but this new show is already starting on a "bad foot" (talking first impressions here of course, I can't comment on the quality of the show yet).

Phatmac

Cute episode but it's just another short story episode with a character I don't really care about. Next week's preview looks like it'll start an interesting new arc so that's exciting. The new OP/ED aren't that good honestly. Gintama hasn't has an amazing new OP in a while.

Thoraxes

Bang Zoom, who did the authoring of the Bandai BDs for K-On!, encoded the audio tracks for both languages in the standard 192kbps Dolby Digital format for DVD. Instead of re-doing another track and since the masters had already been sent to TBS, they had to use that for the Blu-rays. People blame TBS for it because they restricted the extras Bandai could use (no textless OP/ED, no Ura-On! shorts, no Aki interview, had to make their own ones), but the screwup likely came from Bang Zoom since they were in charge of everything audio-wise.

I personally noticed a big difference in the quality once I got my JP BD-Box earlier this year, but others may not. I kinda miss the dub as that was a good one, but the whole yen=dollars still annoys me.

I greatly appreciate you filling this info in. I had only read some general pieces of information but did not know all the details!

Gatchaman Crowds Insight episode 0

Wait, since when is Rui
a Gatchaman?
And where did he get that bad ass car? And yea,
O.D. is back.

So in episode 12 of season 1, (actual proper spoilers)
after O.D. gets fucked up/apparently killed by Katze, he throws Rui his note.

And it turns out O.D. survives anyway in the proper final episode, episode 13.

The car is explained as well as how he has anything. Old money probably. IDK.

javac

Well I thought it was important I remind you of that stupidity!

No but seriously, I content missed the parentheses - my bad. My experience has been when someone says they will skip something due to its length but with regards to starting on the ground floor rather than catching up like with say Gintama, its usually because they feel the length of the series will inhibit the product. If anything, I'd be more worried about the show because of Toei and the fact that they like to "Toei" so many things up rather than the length specifically :p

Don't worry about it. When I was hoping that it would be a shorter project, it had nothing to do with the quality of the product being impacted by a longer series and more to do with the fact that my mind framed it as such when it was announced. I didn't look too into the whole thing so it just felt like this "the stars have aligned and the group are all together so we're going to make this thing one more time for old times sake" almost like when Netflix brought back AD and not a legitimate attempt to rejuvenate the series and bring it back in full force. People are happy, and that's awesome, it's just not what I wanted but that's my fault.

I'll be honest, I have no cache with particular studios outside of Ghibli so although I hear time and time again in regards to Toei and their 'quality' output, I have nothing to go off on because I don't watch their series and have no history with them outside of DBZ and such as a kid, if that makes sense? I don't put stock in studios because they're always all over the place and never consistent. If something looks good to me, I'll watch it. Certain lineages hold more weight to me like the World Masterpiece Theater and Ghibli and certain directors like Miyazaki and Takahata but outside of them I'm not too fussed and never get excited at a certain artists, director or composer working on something. I usually find that out after the fact and then connect the dots "no wonder I liked the soundtrack, it was her!"

duckroll

I mean its the director himself saying he was inspired by Watchmen right? You can't name drop Watchmen to someone who is familiar with it and NOT have them expect "grown ass adults", "edgy", etc. That's on him not me because, as you've said, if all your taking from it is "superheros in the open in the modern day" then there are plenty of other shows/comics that did that. Hell why not name drop say Teen Titans?

As for your later point, yeah I'm aware of those general cultural differences (to my dismay - though if all the kid shows were as well written and entertaining as say Teen Titans I'd be cool with that. But they aren't!). However its not like Japan can't tell interesting stories with adults (though you know that of course :p). Hell the reason Tiger & Bunny was so entertaining (and it was very popular in Japan) is because almost all the relevant characters were grown ass adults. I'd LOVE another "Tiger & Bunny" but this new show is already starting on a "bad foot" (talking first impressions here of course, I can't comment on the quality of the show yet).

No, I think you're completely misunderstanding this. It was not the director, it was the writer, and he was talking about this as an upcoming project he was working on, without even specifying that it was an anime. This was not a promotional interview where he said "this show is like Watchmen yo!" but a general interview about writing and superhero settings (this was a tokusatsu magazine, targeting readers who are interested in stuff like Ultraman, Kamen Rider, and [Whatever] Rangers shows).

Like I said, the inspiration is about the setting, not the characters. The heroes were mentioned as being distinctly Japanese type heroes. The important point here is the premise of "how would a modern society deal with superheroes showing up over a period of time and becoming a management problem for authorities", and also the "alternate history" hook. Those are the inspirations from Watchmen.

As far as being political and edgy, I think you can fully expect that. Mizushima and Aikawa has never done anything together which isn't political and edgy, and even on their own with different directors/writers, they bring that sensibility with them. Mind you, the quality is not necessarily good, but the intent is there.

Mizushima and Aikawa working together brought us the "amazing" nazis in the original FMA, and the quirky but muddled social commentary on the Japanese political system by transplanting Meiji-era detective stories into a futuristic setting in Un-Go. Mizushima also tackled a lot of current socio-political issues (badly) in Gundam 00, while Aikawa did the same (with even worse results!) in Eureka Seven AO. So I'll be really surprised if there isn't a heavy handed element of commentary and edginess in this show as well.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh wow I didn't realize Durarara has anything past it's first season. Welp gotta add that to my watch list (which I'm way too slowly progressing on -__-)

Ah, so Chaos Dragon goes to Funi then. I'm not expecting Symphogear to get licensed, so that should take me up to Monday - where I'm expecting CR to get NNB and TLRD. As well as Monster Girls, School LIve, Umaru, and most of the remaining shorts.

No one licensed Symphogear again? damn.

Arcadius

Banned
Watch/Will try out
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
Dragon Ball Super
Charlotte
Gakkou Gurashi!
Gangsta.
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!
Overlord
Rokka no Yuusha
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd

I don't know the plots for most of these.

Tenumi

Banned
Right now, looks like I'll be watching:

My Wife is the Student Council President!
Gangsta
A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist
Actually, I Am…
Non Non Biyori Repeat

...along with some shows from the backlog.

Wakako-zake

Murasaki Wakako, who is 26 years old, loves going out alone to enjoy eating and drinking, especially when something unpleasant happens at work. This manga follows Wakako through many solitary outings, where she enjoys different combinations of food and drink!

Incoming masterpiece.

But I guess I will just watch the JSDF propaganda anime.

javac

This is a day old, but looking at the Anime Limited newswire which has no new info of note does show that they've got a new acquisition, 'Aoharu x Kikanju' and the UK simulcast for the series will take place this July on Viewster.com.

Outlaw Star - 03

GZG7Yvy.jpg

There's been so much great shots of the environments, I'm very happily surprised with the art in this show. Aisha finally appeared, but apparently they're some kind of tiger humanoids? Nah space elf sounds better.
The space battles has some nice sound effects along with the soundtrack, the laser firings gave me star wars vibes. Hilda is pretty great, and the one I've taken a liking to the best out of the cast so far. Her strong and intimidating persona is cool to see.

Is Plastic Memories some trashy show that somehow became popular on Crunchy, or is it actually legit good and I just don't get it? Because I don't give a fuck about the female Droid. I hate her, and the humor in this show just falls flat on its face. It is like a shit version of Your Lie in April, which also had horrendously done humor scenes but at least had some endearing characters.

Is there anything actually good on Crunchy right now?

Arcadius

Banned
I'll join in with the summer love.

Shows I'll try to watch/add to my list

Snow White with the Red Hair
Red Dragon War (Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki)
Charlotte
Classroom☆Crisis
Durarara!!x2 Ten (Saw Durarara a long time ago)
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi!)
Gatchaman Crowds insight
Gate
Himouto! Umaru-chan
I am.... (Jitsu wa Watashi wa)
Castle Town Dandelion (Joukamachi no Dandelion)
Monster Musume
Non Non Biyori Repeat
A Boring World.... Without Dirty Jokes
Sore ga Seiyuu!
To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd
Venus Project: Climax
Working!!!
Bikini Warrior
Danchigai
My Wife is the Student Council President
Suzakinishi: The Animation
Wakaba*Girl
Wakako-zake

I definitely won't be able to watch all of these as they air.... but I think I'll like most of what I listed... It's also like almost all of what Summer has to offer too.

Is Plastic Memories some trashy show that somehow became popular on Crunchy, or is it actually legit good and I just don't get it? Because I don't give a fuck about the female Droid. I hate her, and the humor in this show just falls flat on its face. It is like a shit version of Your Lie in April, which also had horrendously done humor scenes but at least had some endearing characters.

I thought that the love story was well done. Actually, anything related to Tsukasa and Isla was good. You're right that the comedy sucked though. I wish it wasn't there in the first place.

I'll join in with the summer love.

Shows I'll try to watch/add to my list

*Snip*

I definitely won't be able to watch all of these as they air.... but I think I'll like most of what I listed... It's also like almost all of what Summer has to offer too.

You win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom