• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

NateDrake

Seriously folks - I LOVED this game. Yes, you'll feel like it could do more, in terms of creativity of the quests or craziness of its story. But it's just so, so much fun, and once you really get the hang of the traversal, oh my lord is it satisfying. Jet Set Radio levels of satisfaction.

What if you don't like JSR?

Lots of reviews seem to mention simplistic missions, lack of variety, and questionable humor. 25hrs seems like a long game with these types of cons mentioned.

big_z

why were there so many people shitting on this game before launch? you couldn't go into a sunset thread without a sea of posts saying how boring or crap the game apparently is.

Anyone surprised that Arthur Gies gave an Xbox One exclusive a favorable score needs to have their head examined.

uh no, listen to the last rebelfm, he was pretty unsure on the game from his time with it at that point.

Yagharek

Whether the game is good or not is something that's less concerning to me than whether it tries to do something new.

Probably because of that it's the kind of game I give the benefit of the doubt to, I love it when games try something new even if they aren't perfect at it.

Might be the game that sells me an xbox, which admittedly was never on the cards til now.

Gaz_RB

as i pointed out in the other thread, there is a conflict of interest on the Gamertime.co.uk: 9.4 review.

i'm interested in playing the game regardless of how many 9s or 6s though.

Having an ad on their website for the game is not a conflict of interest.

OQZATLb.gif

Perfect

mollipen

You understand the massive implications you are making here? :p

Game looks so hyped. Glad to see it's getting great reviews.

I absolutely understand. Once I unlocked a few moves I needed to truly give myself the freedom to move around the world, the long runs I could do zipping and gliding through the city just blew me away. After a while, I just got into this zen mode of flying around that I'd absolutely liken to JSR.

I think there's more beyond the grinding stuff here than there was in JSR, but if you don't like that kind of thing, you'll be missing out on one of the big hooks of Sunset Overdrive.

BONDO

Gametrailers usually falls in line with my opinions...despite its review score..the actual video review might have swayed me into a purchase.

SRTtoZ

as i pointed out in the other thread, there is a conflict of interest on the Gamertime.co.uk: 9.4 review.

i'm interested in playing the game regardless of how many 9s or 6s though.

Yep noticed that when I tried to find their site on google. I've never heard of them to be honest, might be a fan site.

Lots of reviews seem to mention simplistic missions, lack of variety, and questionable humor. 25hrs seems like a long game with these types of cons mentioned.

Like I said, I finished in 15. You could probably do it in less. If you didn't like JSR, it might be an uphill battle for you.

Shadow of Mordor is probably a more robust game, but I had more fun with Sunset Overdrive.

Yeah these scores aren't looking too good. I was expecting more 6/5's and 11/10's....

Gamefly better hurry up and deliver this on time!!

I asked you in that thread, but do you have any proof that the ad department and the editorial department comingle or one exerts influence on the other? Taking an ad does not mean they influence the review.

its kind of silly to ask for proof on something like that. i don't really have access to their internal conversations or editors. i don't even know if the site has separate departments or how many people run it. the conflict of interest is staring you in the face though.

Ape

Banned
Hope to see all the same posters from the Videogamer preview in here! They seemed so worried about this game.

Alx

Nice to see the good reception, and confirmation that the game is good old school fun. Not gonna say I knew it, but I had a good feeling about it from the beginning. :)

Top Bottom