• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Neoweee

I made a level based on this gif

b2MkcjT.gif

It's called Yoshi Must Die.

It's a level where Yoshi dies. A lot.

173F-0000-006C-6B76

The video it comes from is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9x4o1gAzTc

Hard not to sing along in every SMW level.

Svafnir

Who made the MarioMakerHub site anyway?

Terrific site btw, and the Miiverse linking works perfectly, makes uploading your levels to the site a breeze.

That would be me and a friend. The friend doing pretty much all the coding. We got a lot of updates coming too. I just tried my hand at making an infographic for the levels in our database. It obviously does not show the whole picture for levels you will find in-game but I hope someone might find it useful.

Note: Design is not my strong suit.

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/news/level-database-statistics

DaBoss

I'd like to give this another go as I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong! Managed to activate the second P switch OK, but
couldn't make the long jump without hitting my head on a Thwomp. Are you supposed to spin on top of them? Was I activating too soon?
Couldn't find a way of making this work either.
I included arrows pointing upwards to indicate that is where you should kick the P-Switch up. I'm not sure what long jump you're talking about.
You aren't supposed to activate the 3rd P-Switch, but you keep it with you so that the Thwomp doesn't activate it.
That would be me. We got a lot of updates coming too. I just tried my hand at making an infographic for the levels in our database. It obviously does not show the whole picture for levels you will find in-game but I hope someone might find it useful.

That looks nice and clean. Interesting stats.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That would be me. We got a lot of updates coming too. I just tried my hand at making an infographic for the levels in our database. It obviously does not show the whole picture for levels you will find in-game but I hope someone might find it useful.

Can't compliment it enough, awesome work.

I'm a little surprised NSMB seems to be at the bottom for created levels on the site, but I guess the art style has never been popular on GAF. Not surprised at all to see Underwater so far behind, and quiet glad.

Edit: I'm not sure you want to add more categories, as there are quite a few already, but I'd like to suggest a speed running category. I'm not sure if it's different enough from 'traditional platforming' to warrant a new category, but I wouldn't mind being able to search specifically for speed running levels to play through.

This one was neat, but very easy. I like how you made sure anyone playing for the first time would figure out that spin jumping on Thwomps was safe by placing one underneath the blocks you break through at the beginning.

Yeah, I didn't want to make it too hard, I've had enough fill of bullshit going through the expert 100 Mario courses...

tkscz

WVW69ibJmuckh-md_C

Underground Tomb: 5998-0000-006D-E5CD

Wanted another shot at a metroid like level, but this one is far more stream lined than Lakitu's Hideout

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I popped in to check my Stars (27!), and it "updated" to 1.10...anything actually different?

Also love the Hub World site! Very cute too!

jnWake

I have a question for everyone. What do you consider BS in a Mario Maker level? By BS, I mean what do you consider unfair.

Personally for me, it's hidden blocks placed for the sole reason of screwing up your jump. Also, Lakitu spam from off screen. I'm not a fan of random elements in that way.

Huge BS are invisible blocks, blind jumps that require ridiculous precision, trap doors/pipes and deadly enemies popping out of ? blocks. Also packs of Bowser I guess, like 3 stacked in SMW or NSMBU where you can't even pass through them.

Slight BS are Hammer Bros and Bloopers. God I hate them.

Lovely BS are Lakitu. So easy to abuse.

Svafnir

Can't compliment it enough, awesome work.

I'm a little surprised NSMB seems to be at the bottom for created levels on the site, but I guess the art style has never been popular on GAF. Not surprised at all to see Underwater so far behind, and quiet glad.

Edit: I'm not sure you want to add more categories, as there are quite a few already, but I'd like to suggest a speed running category. I'm not sure if it's different enough from 'traditional platforming' to warrant a new category, but I wouldn't mind being able to search specifically for speed running levels to play through.

I honestly should seperate the traditional platforming one. It was suppose to mean games made in the style of the original mario games.... but everyone tags it on everything. I would love to add the speed run category. I have been trying to think if I should do a dont stop running categoy also.

tkscz

So I popped in to check my Stars (27!), and it "updated" to 1.10...anything actually different?

Also love the Hub World site! Very cute too!

Andre from GamExplain found a glitch that made the player invincible and people were putting it in their uploaded levels. The update removes the glitch.

Kyzon

Huge BS are invisible blocks, blind jumps that require ridiculous precision, trap doors/pipes and deadly enemies popping out of ? blocks. Also packs of Bowser I guess, like 3 stacked in SMW or NSMBU where you can't even pass through them.

Slight BS are Hammer Bros and Bloopers. God I hate them.

Lovely BS are Lakitu. So easy to abuse.
You'd hate my latest level, lol. It's all precision jumps, and requires you to know all the NSMB mechanics off the bat.

Stacks of bowser are laaaaameeeww. And enemies in blocks as well unless the level is themed around it.

I have a question for everyone. What do you consider BS in a Mario Maker level? By BS, I mean what do you consider unfair.

Personally for me, it's hidden blocks placed for the sole reason of screwing up your jump. Also, Lakitu spam from off screen. I'm not a fan of random elements in that way.
Enemies falling on you at the beginning of the stage? That's a skip.

More than one Lakitu at a time? That's a skip.

Enemies coming out of question blocks? That's a skip.

Unskippable Bowser towers? Oh you better believe that's a skip.

braves01

Banned
Enemies falling on you at the beginning of the stage? That's a skip.

More than one Lakitu at a time? That's a skip.

Enemies coming out of question blocks? That's a skip.

Unskippable Bowser towers? Oh you better believe that's a skip.

Doors and pipes that drop you in lava, pits, and other unavoidable death scenarios? Leave a nasty comment then skip.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly should seperate the traditional platforming one. It was suppose to mean games made in the style of the original mario games.... but everyone tags it on everything. I would love to add the speed run category. I have been trying to think if I should do a dont stop running categoy also.

I wasn't sure what to tag two of my levels as they're platforming in the Super Meat Boy sense, and not in the traditional Mario sense, but I chose that anyway. Maybe "precision platforming" could be another one, but I'm not sure there would be enough levels to warrant its own category.

Watch Da Birdie

What if you warn them?

I made a puzzle level where the first pipe you see at the end is a trap (the level is short enough that reaching this point is very easy so it's not a big set-back), but constructed a giant skull out of clouds which I thought would make most saavy players think first. Furthermore standing on the pipe and moving over allows you to see a sliver of a platform beyond it, making it more obvious that there's more to the level.

I thought that was a fair trap that has warning and a somewhat obvious alternative?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What if you warn them?

I made a puzzle level where the first pipe you see at the end is a trap (the level is short enough that reaching this point is very easy so it's not a big set-back), but constructed a giant skull out of clouds which I thought would make most saavy players think first. Furthermore standing on the pipe and moving over allows you to see a sliver of a platform beyond it, making it more obvious that there's more to the level.

I thought that was a fair trap that has warning and a somewhat obvious alternative?

I think putting stuff like that behind doors can be funny because you can easily, and quickly exit back through a door if things look bad. It depends entirely on the mood of the person playing though. I remember in the Nintendo Championships at E3, one of the Treehouse levels did that, and it was hilarious. As long as you don't have to track through a level to find the right door it's fine.

markiemak

Neo Member
Had to dedicate an entire level to my favourite Mario-related character: Waluigi.

Waluigi's Cash Grab

8BCD-0000-006E-029E

Somewhat difficult but I tried to tie the motif of coins throughout. Please let me know what you think!

Dad

Made another stage, traditional Mario style.

WVW69ibJ48UtQ4mWlh

Mountains and Streams
B9F7-0000-006D-FDC9
Medium Difficulty
3 1-Ups to collect

Would much appreciate any positive or negative feedback!

Svafnir

I wasn't sure what to tag two of my levels as they're platforming in the Super Meat Boy sense, and not in the traditional Mario sense, but I chose that anyway. Maybe "precision platforming" could be another one, but I'm not sure there would be enough levels to warrant its own category.

Yeah I need to solve that problem a lot of people don't know what what each category means just by the title.

Watch Da Birdie

I think putting stuff like that behind doors can be funny because you can easily, and quickly exit back through a door if things look bad. It depends entirely on the mood of the person playing though. I remember in the Nintendo Championships at E3, one of the Treehouse levels did that, and it was hilarious. As long as you don't have to track through a level to find the right door it's fine.

Well, it was a death trap...

Then again, the whole level was designed as sort of a visual flair (riffing off the Endless Staircase from 64) and I pretty much violated the acceptable mores of Mario Maker level design on GAF anyway by making it dependent on a hidden block. No one has actually beaten it, although I thought finding the block was natural enough because I constructed the stairs of semi-solid platforms, and because they have no safety edge on them, I felt most players would feel a need to jump on them instead of just running, and would likely hit the block on accident.

I think it's a level though that hopefully will make people who come across it on 100 Mario's to think "this is pretty bizarre" before they skip it though, lol. I just wanted to have fun with a level.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alright guys. I will be streaming some NeoGAF levels tonight in about an hour. It's 7:30PM here in Pacific Time Zone and I am aiming for roughly 8:30pm stream. Depending on how things go, I may start the stream by playing the current selection of World 1-1 stages. Or, I just focus on playing GAFer stages submitted to me. Anyways, I've created a Google sheet link here for you guys to fill in:

Quote my post to get the link

I will post again when I start the stream :) Remember to have mercy on me, GAF. I am just an average Mario player at best ! But I guess this could be an opportunity for you to see how your stage will fair with an average Mario player such as myself :) I will obviously provide feedback as I play along so I hope you can join me in the stream !

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Edit: Previous stage deleted to make room for new one since I'm only at 10 levels allowed at the moment.

Refined, more focused stage.
Yoshi Spits Fire : F037-0000-007D-94E0

1JyN5cf.jpg

-----------------------
Old post below

I made a Bowser tower stage, just to test out some ideas.

Fight Bowser fire with Bowser's fire. Second path to fight Bowser Jr. should anyone wish to take it.
Yoshi Returns Fire : 51CB-0000-006E-1EC2

C59EDwz.jpg

As always, thoughts are welcomed. Stars, beloved. Completion stats going up, appreciated.

Now to play some of the stages everyone has made since I last looked.

Svafnir

Yeah glitch works fine. People just false reported that it got fixed. Retroactively fixing stuff like that would be horrible for Nintendo. Changing any object can break levels and potentially make them unbeatable.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
My latest level! I've had a lot of great feedback from Gaffers, so I hope you all enjoy this one, too. It's a fairly straighforward early-mid game SMW level. Will you bring Yoshi along, or leave him behind and reap the benefits? Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆

WVW69ibLRA86u5Bc_X

Vines 'n Eggs: F2FD-0000-006E-4306

Alright guys. I will be streaming some NeoGAF levels tonight in about an hour. It's 7:30PM here in Pacific Time Zone and I am aiming for roughly 8:30pm stream. Depending on how things go, I may start the stream by playing the current selection of World 1-1 stages. Or, I just focus on playing GAFer stages submitted to me. Anyways, I've created a Google sheet link here for you guys to fill in:

I will post again when I start the stream :) Remember to have mercy on me, GAF. I am just an average Mario player at best ! But I guess this could be an opportunity for you to see how your stage will fair with an average Mario player such as myself :) I will obviously provide feedback as I play along so I hope you can join me in the stream !

Thanks, man! Added my level. It shouldn't stress your skills too much, but I hope you find it fun.

Hyoukokun

Added mine. It may be a bit on the challenging side, but I hope you have fun with it!

wvw69iblh7umg_dnzukwsh9.jpg

Fight-Flight Mountain

(2B55-0000-006E-5274)

This is my second map, and I like to think it's well designed. Very tough, and very fair. I wanted it to feel like a really tough, end-game Nintendo-designed level. Give it a shot and lemme know what you think, guys! I'd really appreciate some impressions and tips, I gave this one my all.

wvw69iblhzgih7elb0kyjfj.jpg

DooD1234

Man, some of you gaffers stages make me feel ashamed of my stages and I might be too embarrassed to share. I think I like playing other people stages more than creating them.

kinggroin

Banned

thanks for the exposure! hope you have fun

Just finished a level that I'm proud of:

Perilous Pipes

FCB8-0000-006E-525C

WVW69ibLaqIH2UTS_D

A pipe course that would feel at home in World 7 of Mario 3.

Previous courses of mine:

Precarious Peaks

517D-0000-0059-4CF7

WVW69iaGCS0NArvtAG

A Mario 1 stage 3 type mountain level.

Airship Armada v2

E644-0000-0052-BEE0

WVW69iZ0pNUt-Mrpom

Between v1 and v2 this is my most popular course in terms of attempts and stars.

I've added my latest course. What's your stream name?

Finally uploaded my first level.

As Above Not Below!
A51E-0000-006D-96D5

Had the game since launch but I took my time. I finished it like two weeks ago but Splatoon has been in my Wii U.

It's really long, but I think fair.

That's a really well made level! I've not managed to beat it yet, I got the furthest on my first try, to the underground bit and thrn up a vine. Will keep trying though. Great job!

Test your flying skills, GAF:

It's a loaded obstacle course that requires you to dive- float and ground slam with a lot of precision. As long as you fly well, you'll pass through everything unharmed. It's like an auto level that actually requires you to play.

This is by far my favorite creation; I keep replaying it myself. Hopefully it's not too frustrating the first time around. If you think you're a real badass, try clearing it without ever touching a cape (it becomes a totally different level).

Not bad. I love the idea. Most of it is implimented well. I think there were a few unfair parts. I was doing well flying for example, and the fire staff randomly was in place to hit me on the perfect path. I also think it would be better if you got rid of the random enemies in the "take off" areas. Takes away from the purpose of the map. Overall nice job!

Here's the first one I've done that I'm properly proud of:

Storm the Castle!

Code: E6F1-0000-006D-A140

So nice, you could beat it twice! You can tackle either the interior or exterior of this castle, or mix it up if you so choose. Fairly short, medium-high difficulty, secrets and boss fights aplenty.

Really cool idea. I ended up beating it from the outside but I checked out the top. Chaotic but fun!

Alright. Here is my newest creation. "Race to Solve the Puzzle!"

TuGFS5m.jpg

ESP0Zmk.jpg

The level involves 4 rooms that has a puzzle you need to solve in order to move to the next room. The challenge is that each room has an enemy on the outside going around the stage on a platform. If you take too long, they will reach the exit and block your way out, thus you will have to restart that section.

There are 4 puzzles in total. I really like how this one turned out but I am open to any suggestions. Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Code: EAAA-0000-006E-4029

Ramsiege

Got a new set of codes for my levels. Have ironed out the places where people seemed to be dying the most, got rid of a small number of enemies who could hit you from above the screen, added some detail to the Inferno level and generally tidied the place up a bit.

Inferno (Dante's Divine Comedy) - 8F6D-0000-0050-9B85
Beginner's Guide To Mario - BE18-0000-004D-59FC
Head Hop Heights - 78DC-0000-0027-E2FF
Mario Bros Arcade: Reloaded - 822F-0000-005428
Manor Madness - 50A1-0000-004D-4A5C
Bowser's Airborne Artillery - 4310-0000-004D-6B6F
Bowser's Undersea Artillery - 0105-0000-004D-748B

Just wanted to tell you the Dante's inferno level was fantastic, kudos!

DaBoss

Man, some of you gaffers stages make me feel ashamed of my stages and I might be too embarrassed to share. I think I like playing other people stages more than creating them.
Don't be embarrassed about and just share it so others can play and can help you become better at making them.

I feel the same about creating vs playing. That's kind of why I like to experiment with the creator.
Alright, stream is live now !

https://gaming.youtube.com/c/ShibaFanGaming/live

Remember to submit your stage here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179976256&postcount=12330

Hope you all enjoy the stream and feel free to give me a little challenge here and there :)
Thanks for the stream.

Watch Da Birdie

Huh, totally forgot you could download stages and look at how they're made/skip to the area you died at.

Also didn't realize Flying Buzzy Beetles acted as stable platforms.

Watch Da Birdie

Thanks for playing my level!

It answered some of the questions I had about the level...

1. I was worried the initial drop was too fast in retrospect and the scroll would kill folks, but that didn't seem an issue.

2. I guess an arrow at the first intersection would be good---I was wondering if people would get you're supposed to follow the Spike Top, like in the story following a Turtle, and it wasn't just an enemy. I actually used a Spike Top because using a Koopa wouldn't work as you could just kill it.

3. The Fire Flower "trap" is sort of a reference to Taro---in that his curiosity in opening the box punishes him, here you're "punished" if you grab the Mushroom because naturally players will want to.

4. The moving platforms on the end I was wondering if people would use them---they're pointless underwater---or just skip them and swim as you did. I included them for a visual effect, sort of Taro being led back home after the adventure.

But glad you liked it even without knowing the "plot"!

And Teknoman, I actually didn't think about Cheep Cheeps on tracks till an issue arose---on the temple, I wanted to have the Cheep-Cheeps on the side like the ones you see on pagoda, but they actually can pass through blocks. Thus I had to use a track.

DooD1234

Not bad. I love the idea. Most of it is implimented well. I think there were a few unfair parts. I was doing well flying for example, and the fire staff randomly was in place to hit me on the perfect path. I also think it would be better if you got rid of the random enemies in the "take off" areas. Takes away from the purpose of the map. Overall nice job!

Really cool idea. I ended up beating it from the outside but I checked out the top. Chaotic but fun!

Alright. Here is my newest creation. "Race to Solve the Puzzle!"

TuGFS5m.jpg

ESP0Zmk.jpg

The level involves 4 rooms that has a puzzle you need to solve in order to move to the next room. The challenge is that each room has an enemy on the outside going around the stage on a platform. If you take too long, they will reach the exit and block your way out, thus you will have to restart that section.

There are 4 puzzles in total. I really like how this one turned out but I am open to any suggestions. Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Code: EAAA-0000-006E-4029
Beat it and starred. Left a comment too. I lost count how much I died but took me like an hour to beat. I hope you're proud.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Now thisss one I'm pretty happy with. Everybody loves Kuribo's shoe(s)!

WVW69ibMHKUbKsKyUX

These Boots are Made for Stompin
FBBD-0000-006E-8AB8

Axiom

Took a break from a level that just isn't coming together to instead catch up on some feedback.

I really enjoyed the gimmick of this stage, especially the way you used platforms and burners to represent ships. It felt like it lost a little steam towards the end though.

I enjoyed this, but the giant boos at the end seemed a little abitrary and I felt that there should be some hard to miss hidden blocks just to show people that they're used within the level.

Hallucinogenic - CB98-0000-006B-705A

WVW69ibByBoA9XdKBA
Really enjoyable with an excellent use of the gimmick, not just using the screen effect but having crazy things happen. I felt that the Mystery Mushrooms could have been a little less random. My first time through I got turned into a Wii Balance Board and a spring and thought that was brilliant, though I get why it's mostly random. Also felt a little too long.

WVW69ibCBwUb3yq5Fg

It Rubs the Lotion on its Skin

0C03-0000-006B-7FC7

I thought the theme here was really well presented, but I got myself stuck in the final puzzle room by not reaching the blocks in time and then falling though the coins

I tried making a level that emulates Mario Bros, It's a little heavy handed, but I think it gets the job done for the time I had to make it. I suppose my real fear is that the ending won't be 100% clear. Hopefully it is.

Mario Bros.
F85F-0000-0063-4D80

WVW69iakfn4lKQD2jT

I loved how you set this all up, but unless you had mentioned there was an 'end' to the level in the post I never would have stuck around trying to figure out what to do. Quite the Rube Goldberg machine you got going!

Grow Home
643A-0000-006B-8C8D
WVW69ibCNokNWXOsTC

Absolutely excellent use of tracks in original ways, but I felt the first note block vine wall should be more forgiving initially, teach the player how they merge into each other.

Bowser does a damn good job blowing away the blocks you're riding on at the end - which may be intended but coupled with the spikes above you seemed a bit much.

My Airship Factory (1A31-0000-005D-C3B2)

It does seem trolly at first with the exceptional amount of enemies, but with the hat you make it quite manageable. What isn't obvious is that the level is rather short. I know when I started I went in expecting a long stretch of enemy spam, bills and cannonballs - but before it got too much it was all over and I ended up enjoying it way more than I expected.

I'm not sure how you can communicate this though, as people have a habit of making airship stages and auto-scroll stages quite long, so there's going to be an expectation when people see the opening moments of the stage. Perhaps tone down the start so people aren't scared off?

Feed Your Horse
0bfvshd.jpg

Absolutely loved this level, top notch use of mechanics even if that final door is really, really mean.

Bowser the Boozer
51F7-0000-006B-A4B7

WVW69ibCk4QpnTpYOi

I have absolutely no idea how to get through that first gap. I tried spin jumping on the thwomp and even ended up downloading the level when that didn't work...and I still don't know how you do it.

8WIA2hd.jpg

Look! Up in the Sky!
4A5C-0000-0067-1B07

Good use of the cape without requiring the cape for the most part, loved the flag.

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

GAb7XYz.jpg

Quite enjoyed this, but I think it used a bit too many red cannons, didn't mind the red bills though. Well made!

Continuing on from "Tapioca Trail - 1" (C51B-0000-006A-91E1)

Lost Level: Bowser Jr's Castle

(22A2-0000-006C-09A7)

WVW69ibEFb4O8oBl7F

I felt it was a little too difficult with a little too much repetition of the elements. The leaping plants were quite inspired though but I feel a paired down or more forgiving version of this level would be a lot more in line with Mario World. There's a good skeleton here.

The hidden thwomps section standing out as something I can't imagine ever seeing in Mario World.

Donkey Kong™'s Creepy Castle

3DA4-0000-0069-F3E1

WVW69ibFdzQ2rX2u1r

I enjoyed the gimmick, though all the vines made some of the platforming difficult, especially in the donut block section. Also you have a few non DK mushrooms.

Course Title: Mario P.T.

Course Id: 463B-0000-005E-1C08

Loved it, exactly what anyone could want from a Mario PT level. Has the tropes, but focuses on the things Mario does well. Only part I didn't like was the final Bowser section because I ended up being fire mario all invincible trying to hop my way through the gaps

jnWake

You'd hate my latest level, lol. It's all precision jumps, and requires you to know all the NSMB mechanics off the bat.

Stacks of bowser are laaaaameeeww. And enemies in blocks as well unless the level is themed around it.

Don't get me wrong. I love precision jumps, but I hate them when you have no idea where you're supposed to land until you're dead.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just realized that it's possible to get stuck in my Goomba's Spelunking Boots stage and be forced to wait for a time-over.

A virtual cookie to whoever can figure out how to do it.

F13E-0000-004C-86C9

DooD1234

haha Nice job. Maybe I need to re-assess how difficult I am making these. I felt like that a mid level but maybe I am understating it.
I was mostly stuck on that last one. Solving them is very manageable but rushing to solve them is a little difficult for me. In fact the last one is not even a puzzle but more like race to the finish without dying. Also, that area before the third puzzle room with the hidden blocks all over, I don't know what that pipe up there is for other than to troll me and tell me to start over.

If that mid level for you I can only imagine what's high level for you.

Uploaded my first level! It's hard, but I think fair (i.e., no hidden or sudden deaths, no bad warps or doors... only the very last part of the level is a trick).

A525-0000-006E-A257

Go easy on me with it being my first level.

Top Bottom