• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Dreavus

I really wish you could add hit points to enemies and make certain enemies required to be defeated before a door or pipe appears.

Bosses feel kind of lame. The only solution is usually to set up some convoluted system where you use Clown Cars that are required to progress, or Kamek/SMB3 Bowser who need to destroy blocks to progress.

The majority of boss fights people seem to set up are easy to just jump over or tank a hit and run past. When it's clear they didn't intend or want you to do it that way.

Yeah I was looking for this functionality too. I've seen some people get creative like having stacked donut tiles that take a while to fall, so you'll probably get hit if you haven't killed the boss yet, or the Clown car like you mentioned.

It's interesting because small boss fights and challenges seem like a not uncommon occurrence, at least in recent Mario games and SMB3.

KooopaKid

Banned
Maybe I'm stupid, but I got stuck right at the beginning. I got the 1-Up thanks to the bob-ombs, then I opened up the entrance after the first tower, but the inside was just a dead end with some lava bubbles and destructible blocks at the end. I couldn't find a way to bring a bob-omb because they explode before I even reach the door. I couldn't find another way either, just drops into lava. On my 6th try or so I also managed to destroy the 1-Up block at the start with a bob-omb, so I couldn't even leave the first platform. I'm sorry because I think I must have missed something obvious.

Stupid respawing pipes! There's a pipe above the destructible blocks but I guess you moved too fast for the bob-ombs to appear! Will comment on yours soon.

Here's a new stage I just finished:
One Minute in Heaven

With a code it's better!

Kyzon

I wonder how long it'll take me to finish this level in one go, so I can finally upload it. Furthest I managed was the part with the falling blocks before the top of the flagpole.

I'm sorry, GAF. :p

I'd rather play 1000 underwater levels.

B_Bech

Wanted to use my new Mr. Game N Watch amiibo so I came up with this:

PAPER PANIC (E064-0000-006C-4D4F)

WVW69ibF12A1kiOIf2

It's a little paper diorama of a Mario stage, starring the 2-D father of Nintendo gaming himself, Mr. Game N Watch. Short but sweet. I used tracks to simulate the effect of the Game N Watch games. Please play it and let me know what you think! I may do a larger version of this concept in the future because it was really fun to create.

Teknoman

That seems to be the one thing where most easy creation games fail: Boss battle systems. It shouldn't be hard to add a few extra hits to an enemy to classify as a boss.

Hey, can I get in on this party? I finally put together a stage that I'm relatively happy with. It's a pretty easy stage difficulty-wise, but I built it around a central concept that I tried to develop throughout the stage in interesting and fun ways. Hope you guys like it!

Greedy Bling-wing Beetles: BB8B-0000-006A-7209

Continuing on from "Tapioca Trail - 1" (C51B-0000-006A-91E1) an easy going level styled to fit in with Super Mario World's level design, I decided to make a castle stage with the same design principles. I'm really surprised how well it turned out, considering out of all the stages I've made this one took me the least amount of time. Difficulty wise, I wanted it to be in between Chocolate mountain and Forest of Illusion this time around. I'm going to start calling this series "Lost levels" as I'm emulating Nintendo's work with these.

I really hope you try this one and let me know how it is, difficulty wise. There's 3 hidden 1-ups, as usual-- and a few shortcuts.

Lost Level: Bowser Jr's Castle

(22A2-0000-006C-09A7)

WVW69ibEFb4O8oBl7F

Overall, I really liked this stage. Using vines to mimic the fences from Mario World is a pretty genius idea, as was the jumping Piranha plant hybrid enemy type. I literally had a smile on my face when I first encountered them and saw them scale that tower, lol.

The only issue with the vines is that I felt that there were too many enemies in certain spots that moved too quickly relative to Mario's slow climb speed. Made for some frustrating deaths/choke points. I also concur that the off-screen Thwomps felt a little cheap and that the second Bowser Jr. fight felt like a little much after that the difficult first round.

Lastly, on a more technical note, I think I found a design flaw in the section with the blow-torches: there's a spot between them where there's a little platform outcropping that sticks out and impedes movement. Was that intentional?

Kebiinu

Banned
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone in group two! My stage is in the mix, so let's have some healthy competition, yeah? I had a lot of fun making a nice 1-1 stage.

It's interesting because small boss fights and challenges seem like a not uncommon occurrence, at least in recent Mario games and SMB3.

SMB is the only game of the four styles without required boss or mini boss fights.

I think it would be easy to shake a door to make it blue. It would spawn 2 pins, the second door (which regular doors have), but another pin you attach to an enemy to make it required before the door appears.

Seems like it could fit into the interface pretty easily and be simple to understand.

KooopaKid

Banned
So I finished my 5th course. This time around I wanted to get outta my confort zone and tackle something I had never done before so I did an air ship level. Instead of an entire level of solid ground I went with multiple ships. I wanted to give the level the feel of a get away so there are several ships all carrying cargo. If you find the secret route you will also get to see perhaps the most difficult idea implemented in the level. That section can be tough so its 100% optional. This took me about 2 1/2 days mostly due to lack of ideas. I like how it turned out though. Especially the secret route. Would love to get feedback from yall.

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

GAb7XYz.jpg

Very well designed! Starred it! Getting the ? blocks was harder than the level itself. Particularly the part where you have to destroy the blocks. Alternate routes are hit and miss IMO in general, I feel like I'm skipping half the level. Good job nonetheless, the cloud on rail part was cool!

Schlomo

Stupid respawing pipes! There's a pipe above the destructible blocks but I guess you moved too fast for the bob-ombs to appear! Will comment on yours soon.

Oh dear, completely overlooked the pipe the 3 times I was in that corridor. The lava bubbles make you run away. I guess you could put something there which keeps you busy for a second until the bob-ombs spawn. Also, I always find using bob-ombs a little tedious, so maybe 3 rows of blocks aren't necessary there?

Anyway, I loved the on-rails part after that, and the boss wasn't bad either (despite lots of bob-omb use). Maybe a little too many fire flowers in the course.

With a code it's better!

I thought you all followed me already. :-(
Fixed, thanks.

llehuty

Seen on reddit...

Nintendo is in the process of doing a Mario Maker world tour of sorts, inviting youtubers around the world to make levels, which Tezuka and other Nintendo developers will then play.

So you're given this honor. You get to make a level to be played by one of the co-creators of Nintendo's most classic games. What do you do?

Make the worst, most assholish troll level you possibly can, apparently.

Italian, where the first jump requires pinpoint accuracy to avoid death, and multiple places where you are required to take a hit as big Mario to proceed

Portuguese, complete with Kaizo block on the first jump and deathtrap doors

Tezuka gives these levels like 3 or 4 lives before he passes the controller on, and from what I can see Nintendo has to call in their star players just to complete them.

tY7sq9Q.png

Poor Tezuka.

The spanish one has some nice throwback sections. Still, there are some not very intuitive parts,but they managed to find a shortcut that was probably not thought by the creator in the first place.

KooopaKid

Banned
Here's a new stage I just finished:
One Minute in Heaven

5ED1-0000-006C-9133

Finished it in 7 or 8 lives. I starred it even if I wasn't a big fan. I don't like being hurried by the time right at the start. I managed to skip a bit by doing a huge jump after the 3rd blue platform. The wine part was a bit annoying with the rebound note, I took a hit so I managed to finish this part by cheating a bit. Plants in pipes are a no-no IMO in SMM. Their spawn is broken. And for a level about speed, all the jumps should be perfectly combo-ed together. I hope I'm not too harsh on you!

New stage:

WVW69ibFfyMtfzjIUG

The Bombing Of The Mushroom Kingdom

CDF5-0000-006C-8713

- Airships have started a bombing raid on the Mushroom Kingdom. Take to either the sky to face them directly or below to try and make it through while dodging the explosives and various other hazards.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't get it...

Exit point is a vertical warp pipe, hidden underneath the horizontal ones. I think.

Only problem with this is that if it becomes used at all commonly, people will know it when they see it and be able to skip ahead in the level if they want, thus kind of breaking the integrity of the level.

Chopper

Exit point is a vertical warp pipe, hidden underneath the horizontal ones. I think.

Only problem with this is that if it becomes used at all commonly, people will know it when they see it and be able to skip ahead in the level if they want, thus kind of breaking the integrity of the level.
Ah. Nifty.

Roo

Is there a way to see the complete list of the Mario costumes in-game other than the unlock screen you see after you beat the 100 Mario Challenge?

Been unlocking those for the past few days and I see I'm still missing a few of them but I'd like to know exactly how many.

Probably silly question but I haven't messed with that part of the game just yet.

Is there a way to see the complete list of the Mario costumes in-game other than the unlock screen you see after you beat the 100 Mario Challenge?

Been unlocking those for the past few days and I see I'm still missing a few of them but I'd like to know exactly how many.

Probably silly question but I haven't messed with that part of the game just yet.

Place a mystery mushroom and tap it!

illusionary

I managed to get through the NWC courses a couple of days ago... on the whole they're actually not *that* bad once you get used to the mechanics. NWC-4 took me a fair while to master, though...

Finally finished my first level. It isn't really on par with what is on display here but I would appreciate any thoughts/criticisms you guys may have. I started it before having everything unlocked so I made consessions here and there and I missed some opportunities. Now that I have access to everything hopefully my next level will be a bit better.

Pick-a-Path Park
6B43-0000-006A-9DC1

-Somewhat short level with a few different paths to discover.

New stage:

WVW69ibFfyMtfzjIUG

The Bombing Of The Mushroom Kingdom

CDF5-0000-006C-8713

- Airships have started a bombing raid on the Mushroom Kingdom. Take to either the sky to face them directly or below to try and make it through while dodging the explosives and various other hazards.

Really enjoyed your stage! I thought the end was a nice touch and everything seemed to fit together well. I like that not only are there two ways to approach the level but they make sense within the setting. Well thought out and well done! Starred for sure as I'd like to go back and try the other way.

Teknoman

To be fair the bosses in the original games weren't exactly stellar either.

Yeah, I haven't had the chance to replay Mario World yet, but watching some videos for inspiration, it was just a few hits and doom. I just wish they had a qualifier where the goal would pop or stage would end only after that enemy was killed.

Also I still miss Reznor.

EDIT: Damn Pescado, now I have to play your stage lol. Talk about coincidence.

roytheone

Why not make a bunch of them at the start, and only one leads to the checkpoint, the rest leads to an instant kill room.

DaBoss

I got a simple new level using SMW's mechanics.

Challenge: P-Switch Kick'n'Run
YphPx8S.jpg

Code: 2B92-0000-006C-38A2

You just have to get through the platforms and avoid getting killed by the Thwomps. The one thing you have to know is how to kick items upwards. You just have to hold up while holding an item and let go of the hold item button (X/Y/1).

I got all of my levels on MarioMakerHub now: http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/DaOnlyBoss
So I finished my 5th course. This time around I wanted to get outta my confort zone and tackle something I had never done before so I did an air ship level. Instead of an entire level of solid ground I went with multiple ships. I wanted to give the level the feel of a get away so there are several ships all carrying cargo. If you find the secret route you will also get to see perhaps the most difficult idea implemented in the level. That section can be tough so its 100% optional. This took me about 2 1/2 days mostly due to lack of ideas. I like how it turned out though. Especially the secret route. Would love to get feedback from yall.

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

GAb7XYz.jpg
This level is really good aesthetically. I think the main path is thought out really well. The cloud coaster is a great idea and works well. I thought the whole coaster thing was done pretty well except for when you have to go on the ships. The upper left one seemed to have nothing. You can use bombs to destroy a wall that leads to a 1-Up cloud. And then there is the coins with the pipe to the exit. Outside of that, I thought everything about it is good, especially the obstacles.
Finished my new course. I think this one took the longest to create. I wasn't really pleased with it last night but I added an optional room and tweaked some thing. I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

Please give it a try and tell me what you think!

WVW69ibFpmMWIR9fXU

http://www.mariomakerhub.com/levels/1466/big-boo-just-wants-a-hug

Now that I got that out of the way I will go through the second batch of contest levels!
This is a fun little level. Only thing I could suggest is just placing the exit next to the first pipe wall thing so you can just tease it since it seems you don't use the main area for anything else.

KooopaKid

Banned
D5CF-0000-0059-461C
DF9E-0000-0062-85F4
BF98-0000-0059-D03C

Alright here's my impressions and vote :

Group #2
  • Conor_Fool
    Very good 1-1. Lots of basic mechanics introduced progressively. A bit too classic maybe.
  • Peltz
    Liked it. Crazy bonus room. The level itself started good with surprising elements for a classic 1-1 but nothing after that room.
  • Finn
    A bit too hard for a 1-1 but at least I had fun.
  • xandaca
    Simple and effective level.
  • Silent_Ocarina
    Classic NSMB level. A little too classic for me.
  • correojon
    Already commented on this one.
  • KooopaKid
    11/10. A masterpiece! A classic! Absolutely brilliant! LOTG!
    lol
  • OmegaDL50
    Too short!
  • balladofwindfishes
    Classic alternate SMW 1-1 level. Too classic again.
  • Gsnap
    My favorite so far! Respect the player experience with the older Mario games.
  • El Pescado
    Played it already. Too basic for me.
  • Kebiinu
    A new favorite! Very tighly designed and clean looking. Nice presentation too!
  • Belgian Dude
    That level didn't work for me. Very nice presentation but the houses are useless and a waste of time.
  • Azure Dream
    I liked how the spiky shell was introduced, classic Nintendo style. Too short otherwise.
  • Lulzwagon
    Fun swith between Mario & Luigi but too simple.
  • Chopper
    A bit too short too and doesn't feel like a 1-1.
  • Boba2007
    Cool NSMB beginners level. Not too surprising but hey.

So my vote goes like this :

1. Kebiinu
2. Gsnap
3. Conor_Fool

I have to say Group #2 has a better overall quality ^ ^

PS: People stop using coins in blocks it's useless in SMM!
PPS: I would recommend not using plants in pipes too, the spawning is off 70% of the time!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Sky High Cargo Chase
CB2D-0000-006C-86F8

GAb7XYz.jpg

Really looking forward to checking this out tonight. Love the look of the level map.

Yeezus

Watching them play user built content is super cool. Just goes to show: no matter the language, Mario brings people together.

Bydobob

Wife out tonight, so should have lots of time to play Gaf levels.

Meantime, here's a couple of new levels for you folks to try out.

Underwater escapade
920B-0000-0070-DF7F

This was actually posted before as a SMB stage and featured lots of hidden female amiibo characters, but for some reason bombed spectacularly. Easy level, but despite 9 players no-one managed to complete it! From then on it was consigned to SMM oblivion never to be played again. Well, on the recommendation of my son I've relaunched it in a NSMBU skin, making it much easier on the eye. On the flip side all the amiibos had to go, forcing a major rework of a large part of the game. I'm quite pleased with the end result, particularly the climax which turned out even more fun than the original version.

Full throttle thrills
A708-0000-0068-A8BE

Challenge-GAF only. This one is pure running and jumping against a strict time limit; in other words a perfect speedrun. One of the greatest things about controlling Mario is the range of jumps available depending on a simple button press. Well the jumps here are designed to exploit this to the fullest, with as many deft touches of the button required along with the bigger jumps. I expect some will hate the memorisation and perfection required to finish in time, but once mastered I hope people will find it as addictive and thrilling as I do!

Be sure to try alternate paths to see what suits you best, but whatever you do don't stop. They all get you home in roughly the same amount of time (28-29 secs) and number of coins. Oh, and pro tip: avoiding the trampolines in the first section isn't recommended!

Insured

"Fair" Hard? What is that?

With the (quite predictable) popularity of Kaizo-style hard levels with lots of trial and error, followed by hours of grinding to nail down those pixel perfect tricks, I've found myself on a quest to make hard levels of another type. My intention is to give you the power to figure things out as things happen on-screen where, given a high enough skill level and familiarity with mechanics, you can potentially clear the challenge level in one try.

This is a level designed to utilise the full mobility potential of the NSMBU toolset, with a logical progression throughout the level. As such, you'll want a good grasp on NSMBU mechanics before going in (the level will test you on that in the beginning trials!).

Level ID: D4FC-0000-005E-9A26

Miiverse link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFJ6n7y0A

I've been getting some really good feedback on this one, wouldn't mind some more Mario-GAF! :p

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

With the (quite predictable) popularity of Kaizo-style hard levels with lots of trial and error, followed by hours of grinding to nail down those pixel perfect tricks, I've found myself on a quest to make hard levels of another type. My intention is to give you the power to figure things out as things happen on-screen where, given a high enough skill level and familiarity with mechanics, you can potentially clear the challenge level in one try.

This is a level designed to utilise the full mobility potential of the NSMBU toolset, with a logical progression throughout the level. As such, you'll want a good grasp on NSMBU mechanics before going in (the level will test you on that in the beginning trials!).

This is music to my ears!

KooopaKid

Banned

Level ID: D4FC-0000-005E-9A26

Miiverse link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFJ6n7y0A

I've been getting some really good feedback on this one, wouldn't mind some more Mario-GAF! :p

Nope! Too hard for me. The simple fact you can't see very far ahead is trial & error by definition. The completion level is 1,70%!

B_Bech

Hey, can I get in on this party? I finally put together a stage that I'm relatively happy with. It's a pretty easy stage difficulty-wise, but I built it around a central concept that I tried to develop throughout the stage in interesting and fun ways. Hope you guys like it!

Greedy Bling-wing Beetles: BB8B-0000-006A-7209

Overall, I really liked this stage. Using vines to mimic the fences from Mario World is a pretty genius idea, as was the jumping Piranha plant hybrid enemy type. I literally had a smile on my face when I first encountered them and saw them scale that tower, lol.

The only issue with the vines is that I felt that there were too many enemies in certain spots that moved too quickly relative to Mario's slow climb speed. Made for some frustrating deaths/choke points. I also concur that the off-screen Thwomps felt a little cheap and that the second Bowser Jr. fight felt like a little much after that the difficult first round.

Lastly, on a more technical note, I think I found a design flaw in the section with the blow-torches: there's a spot between them where there's a little platform outcropping that sticks out and impedes movement. Was that intentional?

Yeah, it's definitely cluttered at points. The key is finding safe spots and planning ahead due to your restricted movement while climbing. I'm going to clean things up a bit in a revision, this is excellent feedback! I think a mushroom box after the first Jr fight would probably alleviate worries about Jr getting a cheap kill in his "final stand " surprise attack before you hit the axe.

I'm not sure what you mean about movement impediment with the torches, however. Mind clarifying in some way? Maybe screenshot what you mean. I'll play your level once I get home. :)

Top Bottom