• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) nope
Halo 3 (2007) nope
The Orange Box (2007) nah
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) NO
LittleBigPlanet (2008) NO
Rock Band 3 (2010) NO
The Last of Us (2013) NO

Grand Theft Auto V (2013) (not my fav game but can see why.)
Bloodborne (2015) (have not played but dont look like a 10/10f or me)

so 11/20 belongs there imo :)

LOL

8bit

Knows the Score
shamelessly stolen from Nibel's Twitter

ezgif-4-d7288ad56fgoszn.gif

can't wait for the game, regardless of review scores

Get innocuous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUVKw6s5ng

You're right, an 8 likely wouldn't have any impact on sales for the game. I'm not necessarily trying to cast doubt on journalistic integrity from EDGE, but (if I might expand on my original, somewhat vague, argument) giving the game a 10 as its first official review has created a narrative about the game's quality. All I'm advising is caution. In all likelihood, SMO earned that 10 fair and square (and I certainly hope that's the case). But I've been watching the video game reviews industry change for the worse in the last couple of years and it makes me a bit nervous.

Sounds like you need to read EDGE...

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
You're right, an 8 likely wouldn't have any impact on sales for the game. I'm not necessarily trying to cast doubt on journalistic integrity from EDGE, but (if I might expand on my original, somewhat vague, argument) giving the game a 10 as its first official review has created a narrative about the game's quality. All I'm advising is caution. In all likelihood, SMO earned that 10 fair and square (and I certainly hope that's the case). But I've been watching the video game reviews industry change for the worse in the last couple of years and it makes me a bit nervous.

How so?

Edge reviews are very well written, so I'm good.

DMONKUMA

Halo 3 (2007) nope
Rock Band 3 (2010) NO
The Last of Us (2013) NO

That’s a bit dumb to ultimately disregard a game’s score without playing it, I understand not being to your taste but still....

gweemz

Halo 3 (2007) nope
Rock Band 3 (2010) NO
The Last of Us (2013) NO

So basically anything not on a Nintendo system?

Flintty

I don’t think you need worry. I don’t put too much stock in reviews these days but if you can’t trust an Edge review, you can’t trust any. They’re the real deal.

You're a bit nervous because some motherfucker got a magazine earlier than usual and you think EDGE is purposefully doing that to show the world yes Mario did get a 10 pls read from us, the first perfect review?

Time to calm down mate.

Audioboxer

I genuinely want to buy a Switch to play this, but I'll probably have to wait till next year.

Nintendo where is my damn proper Animal Crossing Switch game?

Man, I feel dirty quoting this bait but WHAT? Laughable take. Bloodborne is the potential single player GOAT, let alone a top 20 game. As someone who actually played and platinumed the game and its DLC, let me tell you EDGE got that one completely right. Like, easily one of the least debatable 10/10s on that list.

I think GTA IV and LBP have no business being on there (haven't played Skyward Sword) but other than that, it's a great list.

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

GTA IV and Rock Band 3 are frankly bizarre inclusions, never mind the few 10s there I personally disagree with like Skyward Sword.

(Actually GTA IV's critical response overall is baffling in retrospect)

But otherwise that's an incredibly respectable list from a respectable publication.

Realeza

Banned
Are people really trying to start the same shit as when Edge gave Zelda a 10? Look how that turned out. Odyssey will be the best rated game of the year, and that's saying something when Zelda is the best rated game of the decade.

Halo 3 (2007) nope
Rock Band 3 (2010) NO
The Last of Us (2013) NO

They're good games, Brent.

Tell me which 10/10 game do not belong on that list please.
I think time has shown that LittleBigPlanet and Skyward Sword aren't up to the standard set by the rest of that list.

But every outlet has given perfect scores to games that arguably did not deserve them. 18/20 is a pretty outstanding track record, all things considered.

I was genuinely surprised, maybe because I haven't been paying attention, and just assumed they're still really hard to find, but when I was preordering the mario bundle, i looked on BBY and they're both available at pretty much every store in my area, gray and neon.

is it like that everywhere?

They’ve done a good job of getting stock built up. We will see how long it lasts through the launch of Mario Odyssey and into the holidays, but currently it is pretty widely available in most places in the US from what I’ve seen and heard.

Are people really trying to start the same shit as when Edge gave Zelda a 10? Look how that turned out. Odyssey will be the best rated game of the year, and that's saying something when Zelda is the best rated game of the decade.

What baffles me is that you need to read the text of the review to be able to even comment on its accuracy. Why did the reviewer give it that score? I'd wager people arguing with EDGES past scores have never even read the reviews that accompany them.

I've been very happy going digital for basically every Switch game (outside of Zelda) but I'm wondering if I should go physical for this...

Are there really as many moons as there are korok seeds in BoTW? This sounds crazy. Good crazy.

Apparently the review said something along the lines of "not QUITE as many but almost"

MCN

Banned
My Switch purchase continues to be well-justified. There are so many games I need to buy, I'm not sure my wallet can take it.

That's not how bias works.

Also, I'm not making the claim that this game is getting undeserved scores. I'm simply pointing out that some franchises enjoy a presumption of quality based on their past track record, which isn't slander or derision.

It's a compliment.

Mario games tend to be fantastic.

This game will likely be fantastic.

Also, it's not just Nintendo franchises that enjoy this type of treatment by the gaming community.

Not by a long shot.
This... invalidates your theory... I can give you dozens of examples.

No, this is the full list of scores.

Mario - 10
Metroid Samus Returns - 6

ajanke

Going to pre order digitally. This is a game I will never not want on my switch. Guess I'll need to get an sd card. I'm glad because Zelda just wasn't for me but Mario for sure is.

Caramello

Man, I feel dirty quoting this bait but WHAT? Laughable take. Bloodborne is the potential single player GOAT, let alone a top 20 game. As someone who actually played and platinumed the game and its DLC, let me tell you EDGE got that one completely right. Like, easily one of the least debatable 10/10s on that list.

I think GTA IV and LBP have no business being on there (haven't played Skyward Sword) but other than that, it's a great list.

This is 100% correct.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I never thought Nintendo could top Ocarina of Time for me and they did with Breath of the Wild. I never thought any 3D Mario could beat the Galaxy games... until now.

I have massive respect for Edge.

randomscribbles

Neo Member
I think time has shown that LittleBigPlanet and Skyward Sword aren't up to the standard set by the rest of that list.

But every outlet has given perfect scores to games that arguably did not deserve them. 18/20 is a pretty outstanding track record, all things considered.

I agree with this. To further elaborate, both LBP and SS had aspects that left amazing first impressions as they did things that had never been done before (promise of neverending content and the deep motion-sword combat, respectively). Over time, both of those impressive features lost their novelty and the other weaknesses of the games shone through, giving them their tarnished legacies. Those 10 scores are more a condemnation of the rushed nature of game reviews as part of the industry than they are of the specific writer/publication who is playing by those industry rules. Some games take longer than a few weeks to fully digest, but then you'd be too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom