• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

LOL

Edge, Eurogamer, EasyAllies, and Opencritic are always the first places I look for reviews, so this review holds a lot of water for me. I can't wait to play it.

Also, I earnestly believe Grand Theft Auto IV was a 10/10 game.
Because of dick waving people often interpret reviews incorrectly. Usually people try to use reviews and sales to rationalize their argument of why game X is better game Y.

10/10 doesn't mean a game is the greatest or that it is perfect. It just means the reviewer thought the game was special and highly recommends that you play it. Thanks to the amount of information we have you get to read text from dozens of outlets of most big games along with many hours of video.

It has never been easier to decide if a game is for you.

I could tell I loved Cuphead after watching the first 3 second teaser a few years ago. I don't need a review to tell me that. Even if it gets an 8 from Edge I might really enjoy the game more than something that gets a 10.

And honestly i don't need a review to tell me to play a new Mario game. Nintendo convinced me with their bananas e3 video (one of the best we have seen in awhile). It is the most successful franchise in gaming for a reason. Glad to see Nintendo looks to have made another worthy entry in the series.

Wamb0wneD

shamelessly stolen from Nibel's Twitter

ezgif-4-d7288ad56fgoszn.gif

can't wait for the game, regardless of review scores

Only his normal hat seems to have those bouncy physics. :/

I agree with this. To further elaborate, both LBP and SS had aspects that left amazing first impressions as they did things that had never been done before (promise of neverending content and the deep motion-sword combat, respectively). Over time, both of those impressive features lost their novelty and the other weaknesses of the games shone through, giving them their tarnished legacies. Those 10 scores are more a condemnation of the rushed nature of game reviews as part of the industry than they are of the specific writer/publication who is playing by those industry rules. Some games take longer than a few weeks to fully digest, but then you'd be too late.
In EDGE's defense as far as LBP is concerned, that game's limitations didn't emerge until the community really had time to juice the creator for all it was worth. It's a community game, but had to be reviewed sans-community.

Skyward Sword was pure hype.

GTA IV and Rock Band 3 are frankly bizarre inclusions, never mind the few 10s there I personally disagree with like Skyward Sword.

(Actually GTA IV's critical response overall is baffling in retrospect)

But otherwise that's an incredibly respectable list from a respectable publication.

You really had to be there for GTA IV. It was the biggest launch of any game to that point. It just hasn't aged well.

Peterc

I think Nintendo did a great job by reshaping Mario. They also did it with Zelda. It's time other developers do the same thing for their games instead of keeping using the same boring formula over and over again

In EDGE's defense as far as LBP is concerned, that game's limitations didn't emerge until the community really had time to juice the creator for all it was worth. It's a community game, but had to be reviewed sans-community.

Skyward Sword was, mechanically, an incredibly good game. It was very linear and not at all what Zelda fans at the time wanted, but it was extremely satisfying to play and I think one of the better entries in the series. I liked it far, far more than TP for instance.

I think reviewers try to review games outside of what fans are expecting from the series, at least I hope they do. Which is why SS and BotW both reviewed very well, because they are both very good games, even though the series has a lot of baggage which can make fans sour on certain aspects of the most recent entries.

Anyway, the point is reviews will always be subjective and just because this magazine reviewed a game you (not you personally, just a generic "you") may not like doesn't mean you should then ignore that outlet from then on.

FinalAres

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
To be fair, looking at that list...its difficult to question the quality of a 10 game.

Except Skyward Sword. HA.

randomscribbles

Neo Member

Both games were good games with well-executed mechanics that, had the winds of the industry blown differently, could have been seen as game changers instead of gimmicks. It's a different sort of justification for a 10 than the rest on the list, and I don't necessarily agree with it, but I certainly can understand it.

This... invalidates your theory... I can give you dozens of examples.

Metroid and Mario are two very different franchises in terms of their popularity and even their nostalgia factor, and I say that as a HUGE Metroid fan.

But hey, if you honestly believe that EDITORIALS - based mostly on subjective opinion - can't be influenced by personal bias, especially in regards to beloved franchises, then nothing I write will convince you otherwise.

As for me, I'm looking forward to Odyssey, regardless of how many 10's it garners.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Metroid and Mario are two very different franchises in terms of their popularity and even their nostalgia factor, and I say that as a HUGE Metroid fan.

But hey, if you honestly believe that EDITORIALS - based mostly on subjective opinion - can't be influenced by personal bias, especially in regards to beloved franchises, then nothing I write will convince you otherwise.

As for me, I'm looking forward to Odyssey, regardless of how many 10's it garners.
How polished, creative and controllable are EAD games, and don't you believe this unrivalled quality in this field, on this genre, influence reviews more than EDITORIALS?

Wamb0wneD

You can argue that people can be influenced by their personal bias, but to say that entire EDITORIALS are biased towards something, and that across entire magazines and the entire gaming journalist landscape is ridiculous.

I just went to check, the E3 trailer showed him bouncing off his Sombrero :)

Which is all that's needed
Phew, preorder uncanceled.
I never preorder lol.

FinalAres

How polished, creative and controllable are EAD games, and don't you believe this unrivalled quality in this field, on this genre, influence reviews more than EDITORIALS?
Wow people get really defensive about Nintendo bias, even from somebody providing a decidedly middle ground view.

Only his normal hat seems to have those bouncy physics. :/
Well yeah, you're comparing the jostling of a softer cotton hat with a winter hood, a hard hat, a pith hat, and a tight fitting aviator helmet.

That said the pith hat at least looks like it's subtly jostling up and down on his head very rigidly.

ajjow

they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

Nintendo games get high scores with simple effort (except for Zelda)

Metroid got a 6 in this same edition of Edge.
You’re into mushrooms pal.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You really had to be there for GTA IV. It was the biggest launch of any game to that point. It just hasn't aged well.

I was there release day thanks to a friend suckering me into preordering.

Lets just say coming from San Andreas, the disappointment was multiplied.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
so why does this deserve his own thread? It is just a number and everybody feels different.
... Are you for real?

Man the official Review thread will be a mess. So many posters fishing to be quoted lol.

sjay1994

The exclusive nature of the review raises eyebrows...

But I don't think anyone doubts the quality of the game.

It might just be jump up superstar, but this game looks like pure joy imprinted into a cartridge.

Very excited to finally get a switch on the 27th.

Firstly, a game review is an editorial. It's an opinion piece about the quality of a game.

Secondly. I have no literal idea where you got ANY of those inferences from.

This entire conversation stemmed from a comment I made about how some franchises - quality franchises like Mario - probably enjoy a little bias from some people but that is because they have earned it by releasing so many quality games within the series.

It wasn't a slam against Nintendo or this game. (Or this review for that matter)

I'm not sure what your point is? All reviews are subjective. In the case of EDGE , or at least the way it used to be, it's not just the person writing the review that decides the final score when it comes to giving a 10. They don't give them out lightly so there has to be a consensus.

You can argue that people can be influenced by their personal bias, but to say that entire EDITORIALS are biased towards something, and that across entire magazines and the entire gaming journalist landscape is ridiculous.

Phew, preorder uncanceled.
I never preorder lol.

I agree, which is why I never actually claimed that.

I'm not sure what your point is? All reviews are subjective. In the case of EDGE , or at least the way it used to be, it's not just the person writing the review that decides the final score when it comes to giving a 10. They don't give them out lightly so there has to be a consensus.

I'm not questioning the veracity of the Edge review. I never actually did.

This entire discussion broke off from something I said about reviews in general as they relate to specific franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom