• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run releases in March for Android

Cbajd5

Note: If you bought the unlock on iOS you'll have to buy it again on Android if you want access to what it unlocks. It's normal for games because of some app store policy, most noticeably in games like Final Fantasy Brave Exivus where the premium currency is only available on the app store it was bought/earned on. (Where currency is separated between the iOS version, the Google Play version, and the Amazon app store version.)

Your saved data (coins, toads, rally tickets, kingdom, etc) will transfer over regardless.

Note: If you bought the unlock on iOS you'll have to buy it again on Android if you want access to what it unlocks. It's normal for games because of some app store policy, most noticeably in games like Final Fantasy Brave Exivus where the premium currency is only available on the app store it was bought/earned on. (Where currency is separated between the iOS version, the Google Play version, and the Amazon app store version.)

Well that blows. There ARE actually games that share currency between systems. Supercell games come to mind.

Cbajd5

Well that blows. There ARE actually games that share currency between systems. Supercell games come to mind.
I haven't played any Supercell games, but literally every game I've played has that limitation. It doesn't apply to currencies you can't pay for though, if that's what Supercell does.

TI82

Banned
Is anyone else tired of Nintendo games in particular not working with rooted devices? Fire Emblem Heroes was actually really fun but only being able to play a few rounds and then having to delete and reinstall is irritating. Stop punishing people for wanting more control over their devices. :|

OmegaFax

Apparently my OnePlus X is not eligible, wth

Same with my Nexus 5X ... none of my devices. Nexus 7, 5X, G2, or Moto G come up as compatible devices. I've had problems with Nintendo apps which is why I gave up on Fire Emblem.

Edit:

Does Google check for rooted devices now on Google Play?

ToTi

I'm sure this will get "fixed" (as in, not by Nintendo) very shortly. Took basically no time on Jailbroken iOS.

Actually—what do you guys do for Miitomo and Pokemon Go? It's probably using the same check.

Yeah there is a way, but it doesn't work for all the devices (at least not for mine)

OmegaFax

I'm sure this will get "fixed" (as in, not by Nintendo) very shortly. Took basically no time on Jailbroken iOS.

Actually—what do you guys do for Miitomo and Pokemon Go? It's probably using the same check.

Miitomo installs and works fine on my rooted devices. No incompatibility on Google Play (although it did for a short time). Nintendo Switch Parental Controls are fine, too. Fire Emblem and Mario Run are a no go unless I sideload.

Davide

Same with my Nexus 5X ... none of my devices. Nexus 7, 5X, G2, or Moto G come up as compatible devices. I've had problems with Nintendo apps which is why I gave up on Fire Emblem.

Edit:

Wow, that's crazy.

Mine's rooted, I was wondering if that was why. It should be easily powerful enough to run it.

I completely stopped playing Pokemon Go when it updated with the check.

I haven't played any Supercell games, but literally every game I've played has that limitation. It doesn't apply to currencies you can't pay for though, if that's what Supercell does.

Nah, in Supercell games, all currencies are shared, paid or not. I've had my games across my Android phone, iPhone and iPad all work fine together.

clav

Wonder if the license is one per device or one per account.

Would hate to rebuy the game just because of new phone.

OmegaFax

Wow, that's crazy.

Mine's rooted, I was wondering if that was why. It should be easily powerful enough to run it.

I completely stopped playing Pokemon Go when it updated with the check.

It seems like a glitch on Google's end. I stopped using Pokemon Go once they put in that Android Pay security API. It's a pain in the ass to circumvent and not worth the hassle imo.

Miitomo used to have a root check but Nintendo wisely dropped it within two weeks. The root check wasn't as stringent as the one used on Pokemon Go but still ... Nintendo wised up which is shocking.

TheJoRu

Just downloaded and played the trial levels. It's good, but it stutters quite a bit on my LG G3. A little bit of latency when jumping too, which I don't recall feeling when playing on my dad's iPhone previously.

ggx2ac

Wonder if the license is one per device or one per account.

Would hate to rebuy the game just because of new phone.

If you are switching from iOS to Android it is likely you'd have to rebuy it.

Otherwise, you can redownload it on a new phone of the same OS.

clav

If you are switching from iOS to Android it is likely you'd have to rebuy it.

Otherwise, you can redownload it on a new phone of the same OS.

Well, everyone should know about different platforms / different licenses.

As for the later, are you sure? The way this program is setup doesn't ask for $10 upfront, which means it verifies the license per device, not account.

ggx2ac

As for the later, are you sure? The way this program is setup doesn't ask for $10 upfront, which means it verifies the license per device, not account.

Then there should be an FAQ in-game or on a website that you can go and check.

Edit: Link your Nintendo account. Go to post #130 for details.

LordKano

Edit:

My Moto G 3rd gen downloaded the game without any problem, weird.

ggx2ac

Here:

Can I share Super Mario Run data between multiple devices?
If you link the game to a Nintendo Account, it's possible to use Super Mario Run user data across multiple devices.

When you first start up Super Mario Run on a new device, simply select Link when you are prompted about a Nintendo Account.

However, you cannot use Super Mario Run user data on multiple devices at the same time.

https://support.supermariorun.com/en-US/faq

As long as you link your Nintendo account you should be fine.

clav

Then there should be an FAQ in-game or on a website that you can go and check.

Just opened it. On first run, it mentions about linking a Nintendo account now to sync data.

In the user agreement, it only mentions digital license is non-transferable across OSes. Nothing about devices.

It's a weird setup because I've read somewhere that apps that don't ask for money up front usually have some sort of device limit for a license.

ggx2ac

Just opened it. On first run, it mentions about linking a Nintendo account now to sync data.

In the user agreement, it only mentions digital license are non-transferable across OSes. Nothing about devices.

It's a weird setup because I've read somewhere that apps that don't ask for money up front usually have some sort of device limit for a license.

Can I share Super Mario Run data between multiple devices?

If you link the game to a Nintendo Account, it's possible to use Super Mario Run user data across multiple devices.

When you first start up Super Mario Run on a new device, simply select Link when you are prompted about a Nintendo Account.

However, you cannot use Super Mario Run user data on multiple devices at the same time.

https://support.supermariorun.com/en-US/faq

As long as you link your Nintendo account you should be fine.

clav

That doesn't answer my concern. Thanks for the link.

I see this.

If you link to a Nintendo Account, what data can you carry over?
You can access your user data on another device by linking Super Mario Run to your Nintendo Account. If you do this, you will keep all your coins, Toads, Rally Tickets, Kingdom Builder buildings, etc.

Your purchase status will not be carried over when you access your user data via your Nintendo Account. You can check your purchase status through your smart device's account.

If you have already purchased Super Mario Run through your smart device's account, you can select the Restore Purchase option to unlock all the Worlds.

If you have not purchased Super Mario Run through your current smart device's account: Close Super Mario Run, log in to the account you used to purchase the game, and then select the Restore Purchase option; or, purchase Super Mario Run through your current account to unlock all the Worlds.

Note: You can transfer your user data between different types of devices as long as you link Super Mario Run to your Nintendo Account. However, if you change device platforms, you will need to repurchase the game on the new platform to unlock all the content again.

I'm going to wait and see if someone's tried to play the game on two different Android devices.

edit: There's another question that expands on it.

If I delete Super Mario Run from my device, will I need to purchase the locked worlds again if I reinstall?

If you use the same Apple ID or Google Account used to purchase content previously, there is no need to purchase the content again.
On the purchase screen, select the Restore Purchase button to unlock worlds.

Note: There may be a limit to the number of devices you can restore purchases on.

ggx2ac

That doesn't answer my concern. Thanks for the link.

I see this.

I'm going to wait and see if someone's tried to play the game on two different Android devices.

I'm very certain what you quoted there is mentioned here.

Note: You can transfer your user data between different types of devices as long as you link Super Mario Run to your Nintendo Account. However, if you change device platforms, you will need to repurchase the game on the new platform to unlock all the content again.

When you purchase stuff on your Google Play account, it records those transactions on your purchase history. You should have no problems redownloading the game on multiple android devices.

However, since you are very uncertain of things. Just don't buy the game and wait for someone else to do the stuff you are concerned about.

13ruce

Banned
Great game played the free levels and had a lot of fun the levels feel very replayable, alright i will buy it soon.

clav

After playing the game more, I think this game plays like Super Mario QTE the game.

Memorize when to tap the screen and watch Mario do cool things.

Not sure if I like this sort of thing.

Probably going to stick to Nintendo's offerings on their own consoles.

OmegaFax

Wait, that it's saying so many devices aren't eligible?

My Moto G 3rd gen downloaded the game without any problem, weird.

8wXsfNmm.png

Only BlueStacks is compatible from my dropdown.

I sideloaded the app on my Nexus 5X and it worked.

However, ran into the same issue I did with Fire Emblem Heroes. I get an error code. The only way to fix this is either reinstall/redownload the app+data or go into my system's root directory and delete the XML file with the My Nintendo account data and re-login to play.

Gi57jWLm.png

kodecraft

After playing the game more, I think this game plays like Super Mario QTE the game.

Memorize when to tap the screen and watch Mario do cool things.

Not sure if I like this sort of thing.

Probably going to stick to Nintendo's offerings on their own consoles.

That's all the game ever was.

Top Bottom