• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

linko9

So guys..

I need an arcade stick
I don't want to spend too much on one and I don't plan on using it for hardcore or competitive anything, just enjoying ancient arcade games emulated on PC.

With that said, I narrowed the choice down to
Qanba Q1
8bitdo arcade

Which one feels better ?
Is the 8bitdo wireless only and if so does that add any noticeable lag ?

Thaaaaaanks

Not sure which 8bitdo one you're looking at, but I've got the FC30 Pro arcade stick. Just made a post on it in another thread:

I've got the FC30 pro stick (with the Sanwa parts), it's great. Got it so I could use a good stick with the SNES, which it does perfectly using their wireless receiver. Build quality is pretty good, not amazing (the plastic around the sides is not the best quality, but the rest is very solid). Parts are indeed genuine, easy to rewire or replace if you wish. Also have used it with PC, PS3, PSTV, with no real problems. The tiny start and select buttons are awkward to use if you need quick access to them, but that's not a problem for SNES, where the L2 and R2 double as start and select. Buttons are not software reassignable, which is a bit of a bummer, but again it's easy enough to just rewire them if you need to. Overall extremely happy with it.

It does work with USB, and has no input lag wired or wireless.

eso76

Not sure which 8bitdo one you're looking at, but I've got the FC30 Pro arcade stick. Just made a post on it in another thread:

It does work with USB, and has no input lag wired or wireless.

Uhm..Yes, you were replying to me in the other thread :)
Thanks

I should have specified I meant the NES30 though, not the FC30.
Is there a huge difference between those ?

linko9

Uhm..Yes, you were replying to me in the other thread :)
Thanks

I should have specified I meant the NES30 though, not the FC30.
Is there a huge difference between those ?

Hah! Oops. Layout and case design is basically the same, though they've made the smart decision of making the old Home button the Start button. It does not have sanwa parts, so I have no idea how the buttons or stick will feel. However I'm sure the PCB is basically the same, so otherwise should be good. And if you don't like the stick or buttons, you can easily swap them out.

Edit: actually on closer inspection the case is quite a bit smaller on this NES30 stick. Maybe 3 inches less width.

eso76

Hah! Oops. Layout and case design is basically the same, though they've made the smart decision of making the old Home button the Start button. It does not have sanwa parts, so I have no idea how the buttons or stick will feel. However I'm sure the PCB is basically the same, so otherwise should be good. And if you don't like the stick or buttons, you can easily swap them out.

Whoops, but it appears it hasn't been released yet, I just noticed it's up for preorder and will release on aug 20.
Shame on me.

It's already on sale on ebay though...not sure i should trust the seller.

Orayn

Hope my HRAP Pro N ships right away tomorrow and gets here by the end of the week, I'm really excited to actually have an arcade stick again.

Amazon Canada suddenly listed it as Aug 22. None of my local indie stores have any idea if it's even available. Nor does BB who carry the HRAPV, nor WM who used to carry the HRAP4.

Hori gave a review version to Shoryuken; so I assume they want to sell these...right?

Orayn

I'd really hope it's just a one week delay, rather than Amazon having understocked it really badly but still let people preorder with the assumption they'd get one at release.

maks

Happy with a recent purchase. Bought two brook universal boards with breakout board and cables for $151 total from an HK based ebay dealer. There was a 20% coupon at the time that dropped it to that price. Shipped on aug 4th, arrived on aug 11th.

Got one hooked up into my old HRAP SE. May buy another and put them in my arcade cabinet but i got a couple ps360+ in there that has never failed me.

E4YdDEU.jpg

Brook with breakout board and cables

Y8YlZ4J.jpg

Made a usb to ethernet cable

2WJIWbK.jpg

At bottom right i connected the new cable to a Neutrik Ethernet port.

NElmtGq.jpg

GS9oYk3.jpg

Futaleufu

So guys..

I need an arcade stick
I don't want to spend too much on one and I don't plan on using it for hardcore or competitive anything, just enjoying ancient arcade games emulated on PC.

With that said, I narrowed the choice down to
Qanba Q1
8bitdo arcade

Which one feels better ?
Is the 8bitdo wireless only and if so does that add any noticeable lag ?

Thaaaaaanks

Never tried the 8bitdo arcade, but I do own a Qanba Q1 (Xbox/PC/White Edition) and it's very good for entry level arcade action. It comes with both octagonal and square restrictors, a 6 feet / 180 cm cable, the stick can be used in two modes:(d-pad and left stick), turbo options for shoot'em ups, and it should be easy to mod.

kingbean

I'd really hope it's just a one week delay, rather than Amazon having understocked it really badly but still let people preorder with the assumption they'd get one at release.

I don't see anything about a delay and when I called support they just sounded confused and hung up on me lol. Eventually sent me an email telling me they will send me a message when it ships with the tracking info. As if that wasn't how it worked before.

I saw on the site that it says a lot of people have ordered the octo gate that fits on sanwa sticks. I didn't think that works on hayabusa sticks.

eso76

Never tried the 8bitdo arcade, but I do own a Qanba Q1 (Xbox/PC/White Edition) and it's very good for entry level arcade action. It comes with both octagonal and square restrictors, a 6 feet / 180 cm cable, the stick can be used in two modes:(d-pad and left stick), turbo options for shoot'em ups, and it should be easy to mod.

Guess I'll go with this then.

Still pissed I didn't pull the trigger on this Qanba:

237920g.gif

when it was being sold for 90$ on Amazon a few years ago.
Haven't been able to find it anywhere else since, so I'm not sure that was its price (which would imply it wasn't great) or it was a deal on the last remaining piece.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Guess I'll go with this then.

237920g.gif

Haven't been able to find it anywhere else since, so I'm not sure that was its price (which would imply it wasn't great) or it was a deal on the last remaining piece.
that's pretty cool but you'd probably only use half the controller most of the time and it would take up an enormous amount of space

The initial production run of the stick has issues with 3+ simultaneous inputs. As far as I know that is the majority of the ones produced since it was available for such a limited amount of time. There should be a signifier engraved into the bottom plate to let you know which version you have (either S or M, if I remember correctly).

i have the M version.

got curious and popped in SFV and couldnt consistently do sim's IAT.

as a positive control, i plugged in my TE2 chun stick and was able to do IATs just fine

guess i'll swap out the pcb for brook's pcb at some point in time.

Happy with a recent purchase. Bought two brook universal boards with breakout board and cables for $151 total from an HK based ebay dealer. There was a 20% coupon at the time that dropped it to that price. Shipped on aug 4th, arrived on aug 11th.

Got one hooked up into my old HRAP SE. May buy another and put them in my arcade cabinet but i got a couple ps360+ in there that has never failed me.

My heart skipped a beat.

That's an HRAP SA, not SE, lol

Justinh

My heart skipped a beat.

That's an HRAP SA, not SE, lol

Mannn...

Markman posted a pic of an SE he got a few months ago (I think? Maybe a little longer ago... it was in a PuP thread). Those SEs look so great. (edit: It was late last year)

Looks good. I've wanted to figure out how to put a detachable cable on my HRAP EX SE (not as cool, but it's my favorite stick I own). I guess I should do some research into one of those universal PCBs.

Edzi

Finally got around to buying the TE2+ brook board. Hopefully installation goes smoothly, since this'll be the most involved mod I've ever done.

linko9

Yeah, there are supposed to be like 400 total in circulation and a couple of gaffers actually have some. Markman for sure.

Love my EX-SE, great stick. But I'm not sure why the scarcity of the PS3 version would really matter; if you want the seimitsu parts, you can just swap into an SA and you have essentially the same stick, I would assume. I thought it was neat how they pushed the EX-SE for 360, since it was the "shmups console," I actually didn't know a PS3 version existed until recently.

Love my EX-SE, great stick. But I'm not sure why the scarcity of the PS3 version would really matter; if you want the seimitsu parts, you can just swap into an SA and you have essentially the same stick, I would assume. I thought it was neat how they pushed the EX-SE for 360, since it was the "shmups console," I actually didn't know a PS3 version existed until recently.

The HRAP SE is a PS2 stick

Aalvi

Not sure if I should invest in a fighting stick, here are some things to note

1)I reside in Canada where prices are bad
2)I can probably be good at fighting games if I put energy in it but apart from smash bros and blazblue(games I considered myself to be good at), I'm a newbie
3)I'm willing to spend but I don't really want to mod(unless super easy) or buy more sticks...I want one to last me a good while
4) I don't actually have any fighting game, I did have SFV but sold it. I'm interested in the genre and games like SFV,Blazblue,Injustice,Tekken, but don't know how to decide on that

That being said, in my current circumstance, is it smart to invest in a stick?

Not sure if I should invest in a fighting stick, here are some things to note

1)I reside in Canada where prices are bad
2)I can probably be good at fighting games if I put energy in it but apart from smash bros and blazblue(games I considered myself to be good at), I'm a newbie
3)I'm willing to spend but I don't really want to mod(unless super easy) or buy more sticks...I want one to last me a good while
4) I don't actually have any fighting game, I did have SFV but sold it. I'm interested in the genre and games like SFV,Blazblue,Injustice,Tekken, but don't know how to decide on that

That being said, in my current circumstance, is it smart to invest in a stick?

Hey, you're me from a month ago. (fist-bump to my Canada bro)

Well, it's like buying a bike, you get what you pay for. Good advice I got in this very thread. Tried to buy a HRAP4 but it's disappeared from Canada. Ended up with a Venom fight stick ($140 all in from Amazon UK). Could've spent $80 more for the HRAP4 from the UK but like you I wasn't sure about how much to invest given my limited skill.

After two weeks, I love it. Like, really love it. Great stick, but best of all it recaptured the feeling of 20 years ago dropping quarters into SF2, Alpha, Xmen and Turtles. I'm using it mostly for Tekken 7 and also for SF4 (don't have V yet), but also Guilty Gear XRD2 and even for MAME on my PC.

I'm now back in the market for another PS4 fightstick, buying one this weekend, probably another Venom or two, and will repurpose my 2 week old current Venom stick for PC only, or sell it once modded (it's a new hobby).

Seriously though, I was losing interest in anything gaming not-named-Persona and the stick has rekindled my interest and enjoyment in fighting games.

IMO if you don't even wanna think about modding then HRAP4 or 5 (or N, if it ever shows up). If you want to try it out, Venom's stick is excellent, and the price is 30% less than the HRAP. The Venom is apparently easily moddable for sanwa parts for $20-$70 (depending what you upgrade) so if you get serious then that option is there. I've ordered sanwa parts to mod the stick to sell (again, new hobby, used to do this back in the day). Hell, you can buy my venom stick if you're in Toronto (modded or not).

I'm still waiting for the SFV Razer Panthera. Everytime I go to their site it's sold out, but I know people are ordering them.

I have a New Egg Order too, but shipping from them is almost $40. I have no idea how much Razer charges, but they say free shipping to only the 48. When I tried just putting in an order for a regular one to see shipping cost, it wouldn't calculate.

My Gamestop isn't taking pre orders for it.

And this will be the last stick I buy (me, lying to my own face).

kingbean

What a mess. I preordered the 8bitdo stick from Amazon and it says it won't ship until September 15th or December 5th. So I just cancelled it but Amazon had the Hori switch stitch and I just got it for 90 bucks because of the Amazon credit I had. It'll be here Wednesday.

This is nuts how many sticks I've had to cancel Because Amazon can't seem to fulfill my preorders.

What a mess. I preordered the 8bitdo stick from Amazon and it says it won't ship until September 15th or December 5th. So I just cancelled it but Amazon had the Hori switch stitch and I just got it for 90 bucks because of the Amazon credit I had. It'll be here Wednesday.

This is nuts how many sticks I've had to cancel Because Amazon can't seem to fulfill my preorders.

Amazon has been fucking up with preorders for a while now; ever since the Zero Time Dilemma fiasco last year. Maybe even before.

Yeah, I have one preordered too. I haven't cancelled it yet, and I might still keep my preorder, because if I want one now I should expect to want one four months from now otherwise why bother spending the money. But it still leaves a bit of a bad taste and kind of kills my anticipation quite a bit.

Looking at the @8bitdo account on Twitter they've been posting reviews from tech mags for the stick. Seems like they kinda jumped the gun on that.

I know it's primarily a wireless stick with bottom-shelf parts, but I'm curious to try it out and I've been pretty happy with my NES/FC30 Pro controllers. Plus I have an adorable idiot of a cat who absolutely will not stop attacking any dangling cables, making couch play with wired sticks/gamepads frustrating.

Justinh

Amazon has been fucking up with preorders for a while now; ever since the Zero Time Dilemma fiasco last year. Maybe even before.

I didn't know Amazon screwing the pooch on stick pre-orders was "a thing."

When I preordered the XB1 Hori stick back when, it got delayed like twice. At least when I complained they knocked off 20% (hey! 30 bucks off!) and then gave me free one day shipping the next time I contacted them just to get an update. I was still pissed it took so long to get here, though.

kingbean

Yeah, I have one preordered too. I haven't cancelled it yet, and I might still keep my preorder, because if I want one now I should expect to want one four months from now otherwise why bother spending the money. But it still leaves a bit of a bad taste and kind of kills my anticipation quite a bit.

Looking at the @8bitdo account on Twitter they've been posting reviews from tech mags for the stick. Seems like they kinda jumped the gun on that.

I know it's primarily a wireless stick with bottom-shelf parts, but I'm curious to try it out and I've been pretty happy with my NES/FC30 Pro controllers. Plus I have an adorable idiot of a cat who absolutely will not stop attacking any dangling cables, making couch play with wired sticks/gamepads frustrating.

Thankfully our cats are bums lol.

I've got the RAP4 and hayabusa parts in a cheap qanba so I know the Hori switch stick should be good. Im just sick of that body style. I prefer thy medium to smallish body sticks.

Grahamsprodigy

Neo Member

237920g.gif

There are a lot of two player sticks that are similar to this on aliexpress.com.

parski

I have a Super Street Fighter IV tournament edition stick. It's the PS3 version and looks like this:

71NUMkMmZeL._AC_SX215_.jpg

It won't connect to my PC. It might have something to do with chipsets in my mobo.

I want to mod it so I can connect it to any PC. I know how to solder. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Tripon

I have a Super Street Fighter IV tournament edition stick. It's the PS3 version and looks like this:

71NUMkMmZeL._AC_SX215_.jpg

It won't connect to my PC. It might have something to do with chipsets in my mobo.

I want to mod it so I can connect it to any PC. I know how to solder. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Just buy a ufb. No reason to solder.

Edzi

So I successfully installed the brook universal board onto my te2+, but I was wondering if the lock button was supposed to work? Seems like everything except he lock button is working fine now and I'm not sure if that's normal.

EDIT: nvm, it's normal. It works as the lock button.

Huzzah, after a year my TE2+ is back from the dead.

eso76

There are a lot of two player sticks that are similar to this on aliexpress.com.

Yeah, I saw a few but they are no name no brand stuff and I have no idea what I'd be getting.

Anyway, finally decided and will be receiving a Qanba Q1 today. Sounds like a decent entry level option.

EDIT: just got it :D
At work, but still had to take it out of that sexy box and push random buttons.
The stick is just a tad loose (knew that from hands on) but the feeling is so good...
I don't even need to use it to play actual games, just fiddling with it is so rewarding already :p
I swear the sticks themselves were 80% the fun in old arcade games.

EDIT2: tested with MAME. Man old games are fun again. Yeah, it's a bit touchy and a tad too loose, I'll look into modding it myself, later. Shouldn't be too hard. But man how I missed those sticks and buttons.

Top Bottom