• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

I really think people are overstating this Kid Icarus bias thing.

Thing is, the only KI representation in brawl was Pit himself-no items, no enemies, and one stage. Series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc. on the other hand have always had pretty significant representation in smash. Therefore, in order to "legitimize" KI as a new "bigish" Nintendo franchise, Sakurai made up for 15 years worth of content by adding a bunch of new Uprising items, whereas long-established series kept their legacy items but didn't get much new. While in a perfect world every franchise would get plenty of new toys, we live in a world with deadlines, and so I think this is a relatively fair way to help "newer" (not really, but you know what I mean) franchises "catch up."

Was there this much complaining when Mother got 2 whole stages or Zelda got 4 NEW CHARACTERS in melee?

I wonder when Metroid and Donkey Kong will "catch up?"

Blizzard

Banned
Sakurai needed space for more Kid Icarus: Uprising crap.
I never played Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I think Palutena is a welcome addition at least. I suppose Dark Pit is the price we have to pay for her. :p

In the demo, I finally tried Link after playing Mario for a long time. I feel like Link is a lot more fun for me than Mario, though it may also be because I turned the CPU level way down while experimenting with his moves. Link seems to have a lot better killing and launching power than Mario, though you'd better hope you don't down-A in the air and completely miss. It's a great way to kill yourself in embarrassing fashion.

Does the new aluminum homerun bat still have the classic ping sound if you hit a smash with it?

I really think people are overstating this Kid Icarus bias thing.

Thing is, the only KI representation in brawl was Pit himself-no items, no enemies, and one stage. Series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc. on the other hand have always had pretty significant representation in smash. Therefore, in order to "legitimize" KI as a new "bigish" Nintendo franchise, Sakurai made up for 15 years worth of content by adding a bunch of new Uprising items, whereas long-established series kept their legacy items but didn't get much new. While in a perfect world every franchise would get plenty of new toys, we live in a world with deadlines, and so I think this is a relatively fair way to help "newer" (not really, but you know what I mean) franchises "catch up."

Was there this much complaining when Mother got 2 whole stages or Zelda got 4 NEW CHARACTERS in melee?

2 of which were clones, and have remained clones for their whole Smash life.

Also, DK and Metroid, 2 old school franchises that have been fan favorites for decades at this point, continue to get shafted in terms of long term representation.

SoulUnison

Banned

Donkey Kong can draw on the two Wii U titles for the next Smash, I guess.

Metroid seems like it's just going to stay where it is, unless Metroid suddenly becomes more popular in Japan and/or more Metroid titles are announced/released.

Toxi

Banned
My favorite part of Mii Fighters is going to be creating stupid knockoff versions of other characters like Sammy Aron and Colonel Hawk.

SoulUnison

Banned
My favorite part of Mii Fighters is going to be creating stupid knockoff versions of other characters like Sammy Aron and Colonel Hawk.

I feel like Nintendo missed an opportunity by announcing Mega Man so soon. They could have announced the Miis, specifically the Gunner, let people gush about how they were going to make Mega Man in-game, maybe even shown a Mii Gunner decked out in blue gear, and then been like "Surprise! Newcomer Mega Man!"

BKSmash

I've been sitting here with the demo all morning.... GOD DAMN, IT'S SO SWEET!

At 1 vs 1 (cpu lvl9) I kick ass, but when it comes to 4 free for all... man I can't go over level 6 without getting my ass kicked!

It's awesome,smooth and just simply great! 18 days now :)

But almost every series got two new stages in Melee. It wasn't just Earthbound. Melee was pretty balanced as far as new stages went. Even Brawl was pretty balanced about it. Everyone got at least one new stage in Brawl, and some got two.

Whereas in this game:

Zelda got 2 new stages
Pokemon got 2 new stages
Mario got 4, yes, FOUR new stages, plus a returning one

While DK, Metroid, and Yoshi are all stuck with one recycled stage each

I really don't understand why they did it this way.

Yeah that's part of the reason why I find the 3DS stage selection disappointing. I don't mind it if one series gets more stages than the other, but so many veterans are lacking new stages.

No new DK stage, no new Metroid, no new Star Fox, no new Pikmin stage, no new G&W. It seemed like most of the new stages went to the Wii-U, while the 3DS stage select got shafted with the veteran's old stages to act as their main ones. If we do get DLC I'm seriously hoping for some new stages for more Vets.

I heard that there's an online glitch about peach that will ban you online for 1440 mins. Is it true?

Yes, avoid using Peach in For Glory mode for the time being. It has something to do with her turnip move and filtering for players illegally bringing items into For Glory matches as a cheat detection thing.

For Fun will not get you banned from anything, nor will playing with friends.

It's strange and they'll probably fix it server-side relatively quickly.

But almost every series got two new stages in Melee. It wasn't just Earthbound. Melee was pretty balanced as far as new stages went. Even Brawl was pretty balanced about it. Everyone got at least one new stage in Brawl, and some got two.

Whereas in this game:

Zelda got 2 new stages
Pokemon got 2 new stages
Mario got 4, yes, FOUR new stages, plus a returning one

While DK, Metroid, and Yoshi are all stuck with one recycled stage each

My guess is that the wii u version will have way more stages. It seems like stages would be the thing that takes up the most space, so maybe they were trying to keep the file size down a bit for the 3ds.

That's my hope anyway. All the coolest stages they've shown so far (except magicant <3) are on wii u anyway.

johnbone

Also, DK and Metroid, 2 old school franchises that have been fan favorites for decades at this point, continue to get shafted in terms of long term representation.

Honestly, I agree, those 2 franchises deserve more love!

However, I feel that the proper way we should go about voicing our complaints is to simply discuss our disappointment with the aforementioned lack of love instead of taking that anger out on a few items or clones from other series. It just propagates the whole (annoying) cycle of complaining: "THIS franchise is MORE DESERVING," "Well I like THIS one more," "blah blah sales are everything blah blah," "F^ck you Sakurai, you should've quit after Melee" etc.

JMO

Crayolan

Honestly, I agree, those 2 franchises deserve more love!

However, I feel that the proper way we should go about voicing our complaints is to simply discuss our disappointment with the aforementioned lack of love instead of taking that anger out on a few items or clones from other series. It just propagates the whole (annoying) cycle of complaining: "THIS franchise is MORE DESERVING," "Well I like THIS one more," "blah blah sales are everything blah blah," "F^ck you Sakurai, you should've quit after Melee" etc.

JMO

Well I mean, I honestly do feel DK and Metroid are more deserving. Sales aside, they're been active franchises (as in, consistently releasing games) for much longer than Kid Icarus and both have triple the amount of games Kid Icarus has had. I'm not saying Kid Icarus should have less representation, but all the love KI is getting should probably be going to some bigger franchises first. It's really sad to see KI get boatloads of representation while some franchises don't even get a stage or assist trophies.

In reality though I doubt it's because of "sakurai bias" and more likely cause it's easy for sakurai to port over assets from his own game.

Dremark

Banned
As well as the fact that Sakurai doesn't need permission from other teams when it comes to KI and Kirby content.

He left HAL Labs quite a while ago, i'd imagine he'd need as much permission as anyone else in Nintendo outside HAL would to use their assets.

I do wish Sakurai had done more to give the 3DS version its own value over the Wii U version. I doubt he would keep Home Run Contest out of the Wii U version. Everything Sakurai's doing seems to be undercutting the 3DS version's value:

1. No Event Mode
2. No Special Smash
3. No Target Test
4. Easier challenges (perhaps fewer also?)
5. No intro
6. No Tournament Mode

We can assume that Sakurai saved these things for the Wii U version, but it seems like a ton of content that isn't really countered by an Angry Birds knock-off, Smash Run, and custom moves (that can be used in the Wii U version anyway).

MAtgS

In general:
-The game saves the characters on the last color you chose for them. So you never have to switch to your favorite alternate color for you mains basically. Even when you close the game, they still save. A plus imo.
Practically essential for the koopalings. Maybe I'll have to think about maining Ludwig.

Dremark

Banned
I do wish Sakurai had done more to give the 3DS version its own value over the Wii U version. I doubt he would keep Home Run Contest out of the Wii U version. Everything Sakurai's doing seems to be undercutting the 3DS version's value:

1. No Event Mode
2. No Special Smash
3. No Target Test
4. Easier challenges (perhaps fewer also?)
5. No intro
6. No Tournament Mode

We can assume that Sakurai saved these things for the Wii U version, but it seems like a ton of content that isn't really countered by an Angry Birds knock-off, Smash Run, and custom moves (that can be used in the Wii U version anyway).

I don't really think gimping the WiiU version in favor of the 3DS one is a good idea. Ultimately they should have tried to make them as equal as possible but ultimately a WiiU has a lot more horses under the hood so it can support just about anything the 3DS could.

Anything that could be done with the 3ds tech should have been retained.

StayDead

I asked this before but didn't get a response.

Could anyone tell me how you set a match to have both timed and stock rules please? Do you have to unlock it because I can't find the option anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom