• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

Rockman is sooooo bad.

Little Mac not having an air game is painful. I can't play either of those characters because it's just so bad. Rockman especially...

Forkball

To anyone who has the full game, could you tell me what you think of Little Mac? Because I'm worried about him. We all know he has a terrible air game and terrible recovery, but is supposed to make up for it with his strong ground attacks. But do they really make up for it? One thing that shocked me was that while watching gameplay footage, it's clear that his "one hit instant KO" punch isn't instant at all. So the one thing that made Little Mac special and was supposed to make up for his bad air moves isn't even that good? I really hope he's not as bad as the videos I'm seeing make it seem like. A lot of people are saying Mega Man's bad, but I love Mega Man from the demo. I think he's a great character and I've won many battles with him. I hope the same goes for Mac because he's the newcomer I'm most looking forward to.

Little Mac is a very different character that is easy to play badly. My first match in Smash 3DS I picked him and killed myself twice with his side special. However, his ground smashes and tilts are extremely strong. He has many potential KO moves. His specials are also very powerful. His neutral special fully charged can send someone flying across the stage even at 0%. His one hit instant KO move is more or less instant, all you do is press B when you want to unleash it (though it won't automatically KO anyone. If you are at 0% you can surely survive it).

His air game is really awful though. His air attack animations are so long, so if you are off stage and try to get some air game in you're just going to fall to your death. His Up special is actually very potent as a finishing move though.

Overall he's a very fun character to use, but if you need to be agressive yet aware of the enemy as you have fewer options than a normal Smash fighter.

Gun Animal

Rockman is sooooo bad.

Little Mac not having an air game is painful. I can't play either of those characters because it's just so bad. Rockman especially...

I understand how you feel about Little Mac (although I think the trade-off for the occasional one-hit k.o. is fair) but could you explain your issue with Megaman in more detail?

FSLink

Banned
What is the best stream to watch so far?

In For Glory, can you select 1v1?

For the latter question, yes you can.

Megaman isn't bad, you have to play him differently. Use fair/bair, buster shots, and a combination of Metal Blade and Crash Bomber to zone people out, kill with bair/footstool jump/fsmash/utilt. You can do stuff like throw Metal Blade at the ground to grab it, toss it around/drop it on the enemy to set them up for up smash/fair/bair.
Avoid using dash attack too much since people can punish it, and avoid using Leaf Shield without holding a Metal Blade or item.

EDIT: wait you're saying Megaman doesn't have an air game? You can kill with uair off the top of the screen, space people with fair/bair, and dair is a good meteor smash since it's detached from his body, makes it easier to use than Mario's/Link's who have to be closer. You can also chase people off the edge and hit them with bair to kill or get them far away enough so they can't recover.

Rosalina FS is so bad it actually hurts me >.<

It's good, throw them into the star. You're welcome.

Anybody have a translation for the second challenge board?
Finished the first one. :D
rtieFGC.png

Clefargle

Rockman is sooooo bad.

Megaman neutrual B buster shots are so good.. you can literally spam the first 3 walking up to someone and grab them for free

So confused, lol.

I've enjoyed my time with megaman. His unique spacing centric gameplay is fun and interesting. He has great recovery and can K.O. Pretty reliably at decent %s.

Well don't jam it hard to the side and it won't break. Simple as that haha

Thats a little hard to do when theres no c button and you need to do that to do smash attacks becuase 75% of the time it doesnt do what you want. lol

Now seriously, the controls are suboptimal, even whn you have the chance to change the jump and all that jazz. Smash seems that at the end of the day doesn't fit well as a portable game.

Devil

I couldn't follow the latest news on Smash during the last week. Is there some good summary for the janpanese stuff? Like pics and videos for unlockable characters?

Yeah, I interpreted their music selection to imply that we'll be hearing it in the Wii U version. They also announced that Michiru Yamane (of Castlevania / Suikoden fame) will be arranging music from Fire Emblem Gaiden for the Wii U version.

Megaton, please be more than one track, I need that Yamane goodness.

Mistle

Prior to playing, I thought I'd be wrecking my Circle Pad, but it turned out to not be the case at all. All movements can be done smoothly, just like any other game, imo

FSLink

Banned
I only played him briefly in the demo but Megaman seemed better than people were making him out to be. I recall his Bair being pretty good.

Yeah the thing is that Megaman doesn't really have any combos, he has great grab range but no good follow ups after it. You have to play him differently.
bair is awesome for killing and chasing people off the ledge.

Made myself a new avatar. :D

Can anyone tell me what the All-Star character trophies say? I was just wondering if they just talk about stuff like their attacks, or if they give you more information about the character in his or her canon.

Repost from the other thread, hoping to get some responses.

I have one and it definitely makes a difference. I bought it when I first got my 3DS because when playing MK7 and KIU I was getting terrible cramps when playing. Been using it with the demo and I think I'd have the same problem if I wasn't to use it. Recommended.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I only played him briefly in the demo but Megaman seemed better than people were making him out to be. I recall his Bair being pretty good.

Yeah, his up-smash and up-air are great, too. He's just really different, so it's hard to adapt to his play-style. Not an up-close-and-personal type character. His jab/buster can cancel many projectiles and destroy items. Up-tilt (uppercut) is a great kill move if you can connect - usually when the opponent is airborne.

Repost from the other thread, hoping to get some responses.
I use this Hori Racing Wheel to make my 3DS practical for long play sessions in my large hands. It gives so much grip space and makes the shoulder buttons larger. Feels so good. Highly recommended if you have a non-XL 3DS.

The R button has started to stick after two years of use, but for less than $10 I will just order another.

http://amzn.com/B0061YFZDQ

Busaiku

Man, why does me jumping off the stage, without the opponent ever touching me, give them a point.
What happened to Self Destructs.

fanboss

3mdOOoi.png

;-;7

"Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he's found a partner and made a family of his own... No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity."

One of Doc's victory animation is amazing

He leans forward, holding his chin, and just stares at the screen with a hilarious angry expression.

I love it :lol

MAtgS

Wait, customization isn't in the Wii U version? To what extent, you have to transfer everything from the 3DS version? I assumed you could unlock custom moves on Wii U, but that might not be the case?

We might be able to, but from the beginning Sakurai envisioned 3DS being the more solitary experience based around growing your fighters & Wii U being the "stadium" where players gather to show off their built up fighters.

fanboss

Translation of Lucas' trophy :

"Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he's found a partner and made a family of his own... No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity."

I'm... confused, and sad. Really sad.

I have a JPN 3DS. I could get the game since last friday my time. I still don't have it and don't plan to either :| I'm just not hyped at all to be honest :(
I really really loved Smash 64 and spent loads of time on it, but that's really the only one that stuck with me.
I'll see if I'll be more hyped for the Wii U version or not.

That said, I hope you all have a blast with it!

Bought Earthbound on the Wii U eShop after listening to the new Mother tracks and seeing the Magicant stage lol.

Gonna try and get into it this time, didn't click with me last time I played it for some reason.

ffdgh

3mdOOoi.png

;-;7

...Why doesn't mother 3 memories appear in magicant sakurai?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom