• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieNick

So I've been reading about circle pads getting trashed from this game being so intensive. Is there an option to change control to D-Pad?

Lunar15

The inclusion of clones becomes a good deal more puzzling when you factor in custom moves.

Oh well, they're there for what they've always been there for: to pad out the roster.

Neoxon

Megaman needs to be a staple.

Actually with this type of game, Pac, Sonic, and Mega should be permanent.
As Snake has proven, there's no guarantee that any of them will return in the next game. That's the risk that's taken with third party characters. Of the 3, I'd say Sonic is the safest, but even he's not immune.

So guys, which newcomer is most likely to get the axe next smash?
For some reason, I think Lucina, despite being a 1:1 clone, is not going anywhere. FE: Awakening is insanely popular and she is literally the Rosalina of MK8online; she's everywhere.

My expected cut list would be the clones (Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario) and the 3rd party characters due to their nature. I do hope all of the 3rd party characters come back (including Snake) in the next entry though.

zroid

Banned
Lucina is definitely not going to be in the next Smash. I love the character and her inclusion, but she is about as flavour-of-the-week as it gets.

mmxzero

Fighting some lv 9 cpus in the demo as Link. Mario grabbed a golden hammer and was about to destroy me, until he started floating up. KOd by the SS beetle lol, Pikachu is such a bro.

Berordn

Lucina is definitely not going to be in the next Smash. I love the character and her inclusion, but she is about as flavour-of-the-week as it gets.

and neither will marth. shorts gaius for smash 5.

You're right, but if Melee style clones are going to stay a staple in future games I could see her getting in just based on having most of the work done.

Quick, someone find me a higher quality version of the Mute City Remix.

It's easily my favorite version yet, somehow topping both Brawl and Melee's.

Here's a quick recording I made. I don't really think it's possible to get any recordings that sound all that great from the 3DS Line Out, but eh, at least this is better than that.

If someone wants to take this and slap a Smash Bros themed wallpaper on it and upload to YouTube feel free to I guess.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
They should all be trophies and make way for Bomberman to make his way in.
R.I.P Bomberman :(

Looking back, I'm surprised there weren't more calls for Bomberman to be included. He's pretty much enjoyed most all of his success on Nintendo platforms and is a pretty iconic character.

Lucina will probably stay as long as there isn't enough time to add another newcomer, but enough to add a clone. We'll see how popular she stays.

L.O.R.D

another question about the control
can i change the layout for A B X Y ?
for example , i want A for jump not X
and X for attacking

Jaeger

Lucas died so Dark Pit could live.

I laughed here at the office when I read that.

Why does everything think Trophy = No DLC? Also, can you force the game to pick a certain song or are you stuck with whatever the game decides?

Yea, I said that a few times already. Having a trophy in the game has nothing to do with possible DLC. Now, an ASSIST TROPHY, sure. But not regular ol' trophies.

Why? Falco is probably the second most popular character in the series behind the main man himself.

I don't know about that. He was really really good in Melee, and people tend to play the best characters more than their faves. I'd argue he isn't any more popular than Wolf was post Brawl's release.

I would have kept Wolf over Falco, tbh.

So guys, which newcomer is most likely to get the axe next smash?
For some reason, I think Lucina, despite being a 1:1 clone, is not going anywhere. FE: Awakening is insanely popular and she is literally the Rosalina of MK8online; she's everywhere.

I think Dark Pit is most likely to leave.
Really? I bet dark pit stays because sakurai bias, unless someone else takes the helm that is.

Lunar15

Here's a quick recording I made. I don't really think it's possible to get any recordings that sound all that great from the 3DS Line Out, but eh, at least this is better than that.

If someone wants to take this and slap a Smash Bros themed wallpaper on it and upload to YouTube feel free to I guess.

You're my best friend.

Lucina is probably the least safe. She was easy to make, but she's really flavor-of-the-month (moreso than any other character added in Smash like... ever) and if they needed to make another quick clone I'm sure there are other potential Fire Emblem characters in the future that could fit.

Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are always going to be low hanging fruit.

The third party characters will likely never be completely safe due to their very nature, so don't get too attached to them.

Greninja is probably the next most likely. He really feels like he's in it just for the sake of having a new Pokemon playable. He's not really a series mascot like Pikachu, Lucario, and Charizard are, and he doesn't have Jigglypuff's eternal veteran status. He's easily the weakest link there.

Otherwise, I dunno. There's always other possibilities but none of the others strike me as obviously unsafe. Either Rosalina or Bowser Jr. could go (probably Bowser Jr.). Robin is probably the least safe Fire Emblem character after Lucina, but he does a good job of representing tacticians and My Units from FE, so I dunno.

I would have kept Wolf over Falco, tbh.
Falco is more important to the Star Fox series than Wolf is.

Yeah, the default Final Destination track is awful. On the other hand, the Melee Menu remix alternate track is fucking amazing. It's all I use when I play FD. (Which isn't very often admittedly, considering the FD stage variants)

I think it's pretty funny that the boss songs in the game, for Master Hand and Master Core, are made by Linda AI-Cue, primarily known for the Taiko no Tatsujin 2000 series, infamously the most difficult (and fucking crazy) songs in the game.

TheOGB

Banned
Level 9 CPUs seem WAY smarter than in any other Smash before.
They certainly don't fuck around in Sudden Death anymore; played at least 4 matches in the demo last night that ended with them just walking up and up-airing me in the face.

Side Special 1 (Electroshock Arm)

Tb0Apzi.jpg

Dark pit dashes forward about half the distance of the base platform of Battlefield, Electroshock Arm dragging behind him. For about 80% of the move's duration, the Electroshock Arm has sparks all around it, and if you come into contact with someone during this time, Dark Pit will swing it upwards, doing 10-11% damage and good diagonal knockback.

The startup and dash portion of the move has super armour on it and if you come into contact with a projectile during the dash, the move will activate and reflect the projectile.

The endlag on the move is less when it connects either with a person, a projectile or a shield, if you miss the move, the endlag is considerably greater, especially if you use the move in the air (for example if you do it off the edge of Battlefield, you don't actually regain control until you're outside the screen's view).

The move is very unsafe on shield due to no shieldstun, if you hit a shield it will activate but the hitbox is only active for the first few frames, meaning people can punish you whilst the move looks like it's still active.

If you use it to recover you have to make sure that you're either going to make it towards the stage or that you're going to hit someone, because if you miss, you're in a bad position, but if it hits you'll actually get some extra upwards momentum.

Side Special 2 (Electroshock Uppercut)

tle20vT.jpg
C5aEToA.jpg

This seems like a heavier variant that rewards proper spacing, Dark Pit doesn't dash at all with this move, instead doing a slight back step, the same as the previous move applies in that, if an opponent is in front of you during the time where the Electroshock arm is sparking, the move will activate, doing 13-14% damage and greater knockback.

Same rules apply about endlag when hitting and missing, whether in the air or on the ground, this variation will also completely stall all momentum once used in the air, so you can use it to bait people somewhat, but the amount of time you're going to be vulnerable afterwards means it's not advisable, you're probably going to be punished for it.

The Super Armour on startup and the projectile reflecting properties are all still there.

Side Special 3 (Electroshock Dash)

2kVUljX.jpg
TgVNfEn.jpg

This move gives the opponent more of an opportunity to react by having more startup frames, but the distance travelled is increased to over half the length of Battlefield if it misses and almost the full length if it hits.

It has the same super armour and projectile reflecting properties as the default Electroshock Arm and it does the same damage and knockback, so it seems like the only differences with this variation is that it's a better recovery but easier to avoid.

Endlag both on hit and miss, both grounded and airborne seems exactly the same.

Up Special 2 (Explosive Flight)

F2ZksBs.jpg

Pressing the input will cause Dark Pit to crouch for half a second longer than the default and you can only go in three directions (up-left, up and up-right), though you can curve your trajectory somewhat. When you do launch yourself, you'll do 9-10% damage and decent knockback to anyone standing next to you, you can also do the damage and knockback to people you collide with during the first second or so of flight.

The knockback is decent but nothing to write home about (Kills Samus off the side of Battlefield at ~130%), but it could be used for edgeguarding someone that's trying to recover high as it covers quite a bit of vertical distance with a decent hitbox.
Bueno
These write-ups have been awesome Joe, thanks!

Have we talked about this awesome track?
Yes, that song is awesome (and it's about damn time it got uploaded). I kinda like the new FD but this still shits on it from a great height.

Flowmoney

Looking back, I'm surprised there weren't more calls for Bomberman to be included. He's pretty much enjoyed most all of his success on Nintendo platforms and is a pretty iconic character.

Hudson as a whole has deepest history with Nintendo and they were go to guys to handle grunt work but they also made several games like pokemon tcg gbc , Mario party and etc.

Having their mascot goes deep when it comes to history and their loyalty.It would be nice to see Bomberman out of the grave for one last time.

Lunar15

Ike can't stay much longer. His inclusion in this game is nothing short of a miracle, truth be told. He's from a low selling duology of games that are several years old at this point and now that FE is turning a new page with new faces, someone will surely either inherit his moves down the line or he'll just be lost to the ages. I'm completely fine with this, as long as we continue to get good FE representation.

Blizzard

Banned
I had one throw a fairy bottle off of the stage when he was under 100% and I was over 100%. I almost applauded it.
I played against Megaman a bunch a couple of days ago, and never noticed them even try to use the hard knuckle. Last night I was off the stage and Megaman jumped off and missed me with a hard knuckle, but it was scary to see him try to do it.

On an item note, can someone please confirm that the aluminum homerun bat still has the classic "ping" sound even outside of homerun mode? I haven't found any video of it yet, and I didn't get any homerun bats in a bunch of demo games today.

AdaWong

Ike can't stay much longer. His inclusion in this game is nothing short of a miracle, truth be told. He's from a low selling duology of games that are several years old at this point and now that FE is turning a new page with new faces, someone will surely either inherit his moves down the line or he'll just be lost to the ages. I'm completely fine with this, as long as we continue to get good FE representation.
I'm honestly still AMAZED he didn't get cut in this one. Like.. Amazed.

Greninja is a funny name, because it's a play on words in several languages (French, Spanish, probably other Latin based ones), but not in English.

Berordn

On an item note, can someone please confirm that the aluminum homerun bat still has the classic "ping" sound even outside of homerun mode? I haven't found any video of it yet, and I didn't get any homerun bats in a bunch of demo games today.

Pretty sure they do, I've gotten it a few times. The Daybreak also uses it for the final hit whenever you land it.

Pretty sure it does. A bit unrelated, but you also hear the ping when you fire that Kid Icarus canon too.

Blizzard

Banned
Pretty sure they do, I've gotten it a few times. The Daybreak also uses it for the final hit whenever you land it.
Thanks, I did hear the daybreak ping so I was hoping the homerun bat still had the sound. I thought I got the bat once but heard a normal smash sound so that's kind of why I was asking. I'll keep spamming item games until I see it again.

Also, does pikachu have a meteor? Mario has f-air, Megaman has d-air (I think, haven't played him yet), Link has d-air, but I don't know one for Pikachu and Villager.

Lunar15

I'm honestly still AMAZED he didn't get cut in this one. Like.. Amazed.

I think his inclusion comes down to several factors:

1. Unique moveset. Until they give Ganondorf a sword, Ike fills the role of a heavy swordsman. I think this just hits a niche playstyle of a strong, disjointed hitbox that Sakurai wants to keep in the game for the time being.

2. I think Ike is internally popular at Nintendo. There was a decent amount of Ike fan service in Awakening, and he stays high in FE popularity polls (likely due to smash). Sakurai is a big FE fan, if you couldn't tell, and he probably just has a soft spot for Ike.

3. He's Guts (from berserk). I can only imagine that Sakurai and team are huge anime fans, and Ike is so incredibly Guts it's not even funny. He even has a color alt in this game that is basically Guts. I wouldn't put it past them to include him just so they could have someone like Guts in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom