• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
I played against Megaman a bunch a couple of days ago, and never noticed them even try to use the hard knuckle. Last night I was off the stage and Megaman jumped off and missed me with a hard knuckle, but it was scary to see him try to do it.

On an item note, can someone please confirm that the aluminum homerun bat still has the classic "ping" sound even outside of homerun mode? I haven't found any video of it yet, and I didn't get any homerun bats in a bunch of demo games today.
It does, and it's still gooooood

Greninja is a funny name, because it's a play on words in several languages (French, Spanish, probably other Latin based ones), but not in English.
That's why I actually prefer Gekkoga now

Also, does pikachu have a meteor? Mario has f-air, Megaman has d-air (I think, haven't played him yet), Link has d-air, but I don't know one for Pikachu and Villager.
Yes. The thunder cloud when you use Thunder.

Good luck actually getting that meteor though. :V

Villager's DAir meteors if you're lucky. (If you get three turnips)

Berordn

Best solution would be to turn Fox into Wolf and keep Falco as the speedier variant

Or vice versa, just give Fox all of Falco's old specials through customization and turn Falco into a more feral fighter, like a true bird of prey. Mesh together a lot of his old properties and some of Wolf's fiercer moves.

Could've been cool, anyway.

Azuran

Banned
Ike can't stay much longer. His inclusion in this game is nothing short of a miracle, truth be told. He's from a low selling duology of games that are several years old at this point and now that FE is turning a new page with new faces, someone will surely either inherit his moves down the line or he'll just be lost to the ages. I'm completely fine with this, as long as we continue to get good FE representation.

I'm honestly still AMAZED he didn't get cut in this one. Like.. Amazed.

Ike took down a god. Getting cut from Smash is impossible for him.

I think his inclusion comes down to several factors:

1. Unique moveset. Until they give Ganondorf a sword, Ike fills the role of a heavy swordsman. I think this just hits a niche playstyle of a strong, disjointed hitbox that Sakurai wants to keep in the game for the time being.

2. I think Ike is internally popular at Nintendo. There was a decent amount of Ike fan service in Awakening, and he stays high in FE popularity polls (likely due to smash). Sakurai is a big FE fan, if you couldn't tell, and he probably just has a soft spot for Ike.

3. He's Guts (from berserk). I can only imagine that Sakurai and team are huge anime fans, and Ike is so incredibly Guts it's not even funny. He even has a color alt in this game that is basically Guts. I wouldn't put it past them to include him just so they could have someone like Guts in there.

You forgot the most obvious reason thought.

4. He's the best FE character.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes. The thunder cloud when you use Thunder.

Good luck actually getting that meteor though. :V

Villager's DAir meteors if you're lucky. (If you get three turnips)
Wait, the cloud only, so you would have to be way underneath them? I was trying to hit them with the actual impact point from thunder, but that, or the bolt, seems to send them sideways instead.

Also if you use thunder off-stage, you're nearly suiciding unless you get the two-direction up-B off properly.

Lunar15

Ike took down a god. Getting cut from Smash is impossible for him.

You forgot the most obvious reason thought.

4. He's the best FE character.

Do you see my avatar? I just assumed it was obvious to everyone.

However, to be precise, he took down half a God with the help of the other half of said God. He was still awesome while doing it, though.

Neiteio

Are you able to use items on the Final Destination forms of the levels, if you want? And for that matter, can you still toggle the frequency of items on an item-by-item basis?

linko9

Greninja is a funny name, because it's a play on words in several languages (French, Spanish, probably other Latin based ones), but not in English.

Really it's only French (grenouille). Comes from Latin rana, but for some reason French stuck a g at the beginning, and no other language did.

Neiteio

Are there any YouTube channels uploading good Smash Bros matches? I'm surprised how much difficulty I'm having finding them. Even searching "Smash Bros. 3DS" or "Smash Bros 4" and then sorting by Upload Date yields very little results.

Wait, the cloud only, so you would have to be way underneath them? I was trying to hit them with the actual impact point from thunder, but that, or the bolt, seems to send them sideways instead.

Also if you use thunder off-stage, you're nearly suiciding unless you get the two-direction up-B off properly.

from what i noticed it is cloud only the meteor effect from the cloud seems fairly strong though since ive seen it meteor in arund 40-60% range? (im not sure though) and something interesting i noticed is if u pull the meteor off at low percentages it brings your opponent down towards pika's center (where the thunder hits)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Or vice versa, just give Fox all of Falco's old specials through customization and turn Falco into a more feral fighter, like a true bird of prey. Mesh together a lot of his old properties and some of Wolf's fiercer moves.

Could've been cool, anyway.

But Falco's a dickhead, not a feral fighter.

Level 9 CPUs seem WAY smarter than in any other Smash before.

They seem a lot less offensively orientated to me, to a fault, almost. I had a Level 9 CPU Olimar do nothing but roll back and fourth around me (while I stood still) for a minute straight once.

Ike can't stay much longer. His inclusion in this game is nothing short of a miracle, truth be told. He's from a low selling duology of games that are several years old at this point and now that FE is turning a new page with new faces, someone will surely either inherit his moves down the line or he'll just be lost to the ages. I'm completely fine with this, as long as we continue to get good FE representation.

Don't underestimate his popularity in Japan.

Moonlight

Banned
Lucina is probably the least safe. She was easy to make, but she's really flavor-of-the-month (moreso than any other character added in Smash like... ever) and if they needed to make another quick clone I'm sure there are other potential Fire Emblem characters in the future that could fit.

Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are always going to be low hanging fruit.

The third party characters will likely never be completely safe due to their very nature, so don't get too attached to them.

Greninja is probably the next most likely. He really feels like he's in it just for the sake of having a new Pokemon playable. He's not really a series mascot like Pikachu, Lucario, and Charizard are, and he doesn't have Jigglypuff's eternal veteran status. He's easily the weakest link there.

Otherwise, I dunno. There's always other possibilities but none of the others strike me as obviously unsafe. Either Rosalina or Bowser Jr. could go (probably Bowser Jr.). Robin is probably the least safe Fire Emblem character after Lucina, but he does a good job of representing tacticians and My Units from FE, so I dunno.
Ike is way less 'safe' than Robin is, and I say that confident that Ike is going to return to the next game. Robin offers a completely new playstyle from any other FE character (so getting rid of him/her would be incredibly baffling given how different he is from any other character), and Awakening itself represents the most popular franchise that the franchise has ever seen, as well as being major turning point in terms of its' overall success. It literally saved the franchise, after all. FE13 is going to be remembered as a big event for the series, and characters like Robin and Lucina strike me as anything but 'flavour of the month' - definitely not to the same extent Sheik or Ike were. You might have a case for Lucina, but while there are definitely 'other' easy clones you could make off Marth's base, few are as ridiculously popular as Lucina and she's the only female FE representative (which frankly, the series deserves). Her best shot at being 'knocked out' is if she's replaced by the next game's Lord, and even then I'd doubt it. I expect her to come back, anyways, likely with a little more differentiation in animations/properties.

Awakening is going be here to stay for the next Smash regardless of anything. In the larger context of FE's history, it'd be very hard to go bigger.

ffdgh

They seem a lot less offensively orientated to me, to a fault, almost. I had a Level 9 CPU Olimar do nothing but roll back and fourth around me (while I stood still) for a minute straight once.

Gotta abuse those generous invincibility frames. Speak of that, how fast is yoshi's roll now?

NeonZ

If they keep DLC characters in FE, and especially if they improve their mechanics and make them comparable to the game's main cast next time, Ike could remain with some big presence, especially if they keep all the marketing for him that they had in Awakening's DLC, like always going on about how he's the strongest hero and such. The same goes for Lucina though. They'll obviously want to cash in on Awakening's cast next time.

Don't underestimate his popularity in Japan.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were the worst selling FEs in Japan though... It's just within the hardcore FE fanbase itself that he's popular. Although IS itself seems to push him quite a bit for whatever reason.

Dragoshi1

Charizard is great, love his new anime inspired voice too.

Haven't played online, but when I do, it's gonna be Yoshi, Charizard, and Rosalina for me.

Qurupeke

Guys...

fCh81fs.png

Kirby basically replaced Ice Climbers...

Kirby likes to take the place of other characters so much... :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any place to get Capture for 3DS XL? I know the 3DScapture site, but they only do regular systems.

I think Zipzo said he was using an XL that was modded for capturing and didn't have the bulk of 3DScapture, but I don't remember what it was.

Also, Pikachu feels kind of bad in the demo. Thunder is completely useless now that you can't use it to KO people off the top of the stage. Up smash also feels really weak now. He racks up damage well enough, but nothing really felt like a solid kill move. Plus a lot of his moves have a ton of end lag.

Mario feels really good though. Love getting those KOs with fair and fsmash/usmash/uair are also good KO moves, or at least get the opponent out there to finish them with a fair.

Played a little Link. I have sucked at using him since Smash 64 and that didn't really change here. Never lost a match with him but I'm just bad at managing the projectiles. Haven't played Mega Man or Villager yet, I can't see myself enjoying Mega Man though.

Haldinian

It's a shame that Dark Pit only has another type of weapon with his own effects for his Side Special. Does he have any other difference with Pit?

Unbounded

I think Zipzo said he was using an XL that was modded for capturing and didn't have the bulk of 3DScapture, but I don't remember what it was.

Also, Pikachu feels kind of bad in the demo. Thunder is completely useless now that you can't use it to KO people off the top of the stage. Up smash also feels really weak now. He racks up damage well enough, but nothing really felt like a solid kill move. Plus a lot of his moves have a ton of end lag.

Mario feels really good though. Love getting those KOs with fair and fsmash/usmash/uair are also good KO moves, or at least get the opponent out there to finish them with a fair.

Played a little Link. I have sucked at using him since Smash 64 and that didn't really change here. Never lost a match with him but I'm just bad at managing the projectiles. Haven't played Mega Man or Villager yet, I can't see myself enjoying Mega Man though.

Pikachu's Fsmash is pretty destructive.

Tenck

Well like I'll have to take charizard for a spin since you guys say he's fun.

Also I think I found a bug. If I start a match and ended through the menu, it counts as played and I can get random encounters. I unlocked DHD that way lol.

Kinsei

Banned
By the way, did Ganondorf's move set get changed at all or does he still have Captain Falcon's moves?

Also, this t- shirt doesn't look too bad, although the wristband would never get worn:

He's still a Falcon clone. He does use his sword in one of his custom specials though. It's just a warlock punch while he's holding the sword, which gives him more range, but it's better than nothing.

Spinluck

Rockman is sooooo bad.

Little Mac not having an air game is painful. I can't play either of those characters because it's just so bad. Rockman especially...

Rockman is only bad if you try to play him like a traditional character. Not saying he's going to be "top tierz herp derp." But he can kill at some pretty decent percentages, and he has a great keep away game, especially when the opponent is off stage.

He's a beast in free for all though, I feel like he was made for that mode.

Spinluck

I have one and it definitely makes a difference. I bought it when I first got my 3DS because when playing MK7 and KIU I was getting terrible cramps when playing. Been using it with the demo and I think I'd have the same problem if I wasn't to use it. Recommended.

Many thanks dude. *ordered*

Hatchtag

Banned
By the way, did Ganondorf's move set get changed at all or does he still have Captain Falcon's moves?

Also, this t- shirt doesn't look too bad, although the wristband would never get worn:

His warlock punch has super armor and his customs are broken as hell. Its a good time to be a Ganon main.

georly

Woohoo just beat classic on 9.0. Captain falcon all the way. That knee destroys everything.

His warlock punch has super armor and his customs are broken as hell. Its a good time to be a Ganon main.

Yeah I like his changes, but playing online w/ lag meant i lost every single time since I couldn't land anything :/ I don't recommend him for online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom