• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Also, as with Pictochat 2, I wonder if the 3DS stage roster might be better-received if it had done a few more 'remixed' stages? Slightly resizing the Great Fox and using a SF643D rip over Corneria's background to bring back Sector Z or a new Star Fox locale, for example, or redoing Brawl 75m's platform placement to create 25m. It's not ideal, but it'd be a little better than what we got.

I feel like all that time I sunk into Tomodachi Life was just a warm-up for Smash lol

Though it's a shame that Tomodachi Life's hair dye options aren't available for Mii Fighters...

emb

The game is still slightly floaty from what I can tell but Sheik is actually a much better character this time around -- there's tons of footage you can find of competitive players using her and succeeding in this early meta with her. She's much closer to how she plays in Melee than how she did in Brawl fwiw. Between the way she edgeguards to how she can shift from being an aggro character to a more patient one with her needles.

She's overall much better than she was in Brawl. The only similarity she shares with her Brawl incarnation is her relatively weak Fair but the Fair is really good for edgeguarding and carrying people offstage -- it's got similar utility to her Melee Fair except it doesn't KO as early.
That's pretty much the same impression I had. It may be an overstatement, but Sheik looks like she feels like a Melee character (similar to MK in Brawl). Fair seems to have a lot less knockback growth, but sets up slightly better for little strings here and there. Ftilt seems to generally put them in a bad position, so you can try for a grab/ftilt/fair. Bouncing Fish and up air seem alright for KOs. In addition to fair, bair seems solid for edge guarding too.

I think I'm getting bored of Smash 4... I'm considering going back to PM soon

lol I honestly think this is whats going to happen to me when I get the game as well. It'll be like "yea smash 4 is cool but PM is just more balanced..." really do hope project m adds some of their own characters tho that way we practically have 3 smash games!(3ds, wii u, project m)

emb

Can't quit before it's out in US/EU. Gotta put all of us in our place first. :)

Real talk, miis are one of the best parts of the game. I can't stop making them.
Seems like Miis are getting underplayed just because people don't like 'em (or, people like online mode). Hope we see them explored more.

lol I honestly think this is whats going to happen to me when I get the game as well. It'll be like "yea smash 4 is cool but PM is just more balanced..." really do hope project m adds some of their own characters tho that way we practically have 3 smash games!(3ds, wii u, project m)
How do you know PM is more balanced?

emb

It begins again.

This will happen to many, I can feel it!

Although I'll probably play both still butmainly focus on Smash 4.
I'll probably focus on 4 for a few months and then shift gears to focus on Melee again.

I want to keep learning all the Smash games to the point where I can at least become mediocre at them. So far I feel remotely competent at 1/5, lol.

Anura

This game actually feels more balanced right now. I bet with more updates some of the bad PM characters will get better and end up better balanced. Relearning PM is also going to be hard lol

I feel like this is gonna happen to me too sooner than I hope, but I wanna give the Wii U version a chance on that first. If anyone knows, you can use the GameCube adapter in Wii Mode, right?

Seems like Miis are getting underplayed just because people don't like 'em (or, people like online mode). Hope we see them explored more.

It also hurts that they lack any defined characters traits in and out of Smash, which is a big deal for many and can make up for flaws for the fighter itself. See: Lucina.

Thorakai

I'm not a competitive player, but I see it as an inevitability that people will go back to Melee and Project M. The latter especially because its directly catering to the competitive fanbase whereas Sakurai will always be limited by striking a balance between casual and competitive play.

Meh, I don't understand the community that begs for a new game, but wants it exactly as the old one. That's pointless. Much less the instant "wah wah its different so its worse" nature of it.

Let the game settle before bitching.

Durden77

Eh, I still play Brawl pretty regularly to this day with friends after work, so I imagine Smash 4 will last just as long for me. Or maybe it's just the Snake pheromones that keep pulling me back.

emb

Meh, I don't understand the community that begs for a new game, but wants it exactly as the old one. That's pointless. Much less the instant "wah wah its different so its worse" nature of it.

No one wants it exactly the same as the old one. They want it similar to the old one. They want it to be satisfying in the same ways. Think of what Smash 4 is compared to Brawl... the Melee people want that kind of sequel.

The first three entries in the series all felt pretty different. Like the difference in playing Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and Mortal Kombat. Smash Bros. has generally been pretty good about completely reworking itself. It's no surprise that people would hope for more of whichever style they prefer. (Though it would be nice if we could be respectful of people that like the other styles. I'm guilty of overlooking that myself most of the time. :( )

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

IIRC they were going to make Lyn and Isaac full playable characters and implement them at some point. And Pichu Bros. Think there was at least one more playable character they were planning to make.

Anura

Why does everyone assume people want it exactly as the old one? I want a game that's MORE fun for me than the old one. I'm going to let you in on a secret too... Nobody thinks it's worse because it's different. That's what casuals assume people don't like about it. It's worse because they have less fun with it.

Now some competitive folk will LOVE this game. But others will think it's simply not as fun as the others

ugoo18

Here's mine, actually have a bottleneck of a 100mbps cable connection somewhere in my network, which is being a pain to connect. Should be ~150mbps
3783470619.png

I was playing last night, no lag. I've only experienced lag when playing against several other people at once

With mine though in MK7 for example, i can play online but disconnect randomly. Same deal with Pokemon Y.

I can't seem to play online at all on the WiiU though. I can access the Eshop, buy stuff, download stuff, use the browser, miiverse and any other online functionality. Yet i can never play online in MK8 or MH3U except when i take my WiiU home or use my mobile internet.

No one wants it exactly the same as the old one. They want it similar to the old one. They want it to be satisfying in the same ways. Think of what Smash 4 is compared to Brawl... the Melee people want that kind of sequel.

The first three entries in the series all felt pretty different. Like the difference in playing Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and Mortal Kombat. Smash Bros. has generally been pretty good about completely reworking itself. It's no surprise that people would hope for more of whichever style they prefer. (Though it would be nice if we could be respectful of people that like the other styles. I'm guilty of overlooking that myself most of the time. :( )

They want Melee with new characters. Let's not sugarcoat that a mod called Project M, is anything but that. It uses Melee physics, characters are retooled to play as if they were in Melee

Bowser Jr. vs. Kirby

Finally, an adorable match. And yes, I picked Bowser Jr. and not those wannabe Koopalings. Both fighters are very versatile, but Kirby doesn't have the projectile advantage. I tried to set up a trap where i sent one of the robots out, and then charge my cannon. Obviously he would just wait to try to dodge the cannon or rush me to get me to prematurely fire it, but the robot would sneak up on him eventually and help set up my attacks. I managed to get the first KO after dropping my clown car on him and then hitting him with a down aerial. Did you know Bowser Jr. is crazy powerful in the air without his car? Well, he is. Kirby evened it up, but I had Kirby on the ropes and finish him off with a classic side Smash. Winner: Bowser Jr.

...Excuse me?

Kraatu

This rage mechanics further prove that characters like Bowser that have more survivability can also KO more. The funny part is that they already have stronger knockback which seems a huge part of getting your KO's in this game.
I really wish that light characters with low knockback can work in this game.

Anura

They want Melee with new characters. Let's not sugarcoat that a mod called Project M, is anything but that. It uses Melee physics, characters are retooled to play as if they were in Melee

Personally speaking, I just settle for Melee with new characters. PM is simply the next best thing to a smash that hits all the right notes. I don't think I'm alone on thinking this either

How do you know PM is more balanced?
srsly? I said I THINK, i don't know for sure if its more balanced or not. Also I'm going under the assumption that the game will be a one and done kind of thing(except for dlc characters), as in I don't think we'll be getting any balance patches, if anything I think we'll just end up getting patches that fix glitches and thats pretty much it.

IIRC they were going to make Lyn and Isaac full playable characters and implement them at some point. And Pichu Bros. Think there was at least one more playable character they were planning to make.

oooooh that needs to happen!! it would make pm sooo much more cooler.

PBalfredo

I don't think the rage mechanic is Smash really compares to comeback mechanics in other fighting games since unlike other fighters, characters in Smash have an inherent disadvantage as they take damage to be accounted for. In most fighters with a lifebar, your ability to fight is not diminished by taking damage. As far as your lifebar is concerned, your an equal threat at full life as you are with a pixel of life left. Factor in meter gain and you're potentially more of a threat at low health. In Smash Bros, your increased knockback at high percentage puts you in an inherent disadvantage, as you're constantly fighting to get back on the stage after each big hit, giving your opponent lots of momentum. It's a disadvantage inherent to how Smash Bros works, so rage is added to help even out the imbalance between players rather than to reward taking damage since taking damage itself comes with such a huge drawback, as opposed to lifebar fighters where as long as your life isn't zero, you're fine.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out once I get my hands on the game.

Blizzard

Banned
I still maintain the worst part about people giving up on the game, or finding all the secrets, or getting bored, or losing all excitement, or overplaying it, is that it all happens while I STILL HAVE TO WAIT LIKE A WEEK AND A HALF before I can even play the game.

It's like I'm starving in line at a cafeteria and someone walks past complaining about how their food wasn't very good anyway. ;_; I just want to play!

Anura

I knew as soon as I posted that this would happen... Every time I even dare to say "I have more fun with an older game" someone ALWAYS posts the same "oh, you're just bitter because it's just different/not Melee 2.0". Seriously, just stop that. It's annoying, dismissive and just not true.

jorgejjvr

Whatever. Point is, I will be loving and enjoying Smash 4 for 3ds and wii u. And looking forward to beat all of you ;) nothing will kill my excitement or hype. I've played this demo more than some games, I can't imagine the full version. I've played Melee, brawl, and pm, and I usually stick with the new game for years, I'll be playing Smash 4 until the next one comes out. And from what I've seen, from the demo etc, Smash 4 seems to be a blast to play and better than its predecessors. I. Cannot. Wait.

It's about adapting to a new game. Not saying, I don't like this and this, I'm going back lol

emb

I knew as soon as I posted that this would happen... Every time I even dare to say "I have more fun with an older game" someone ALWAYS posts the same "oh, you're just bitter because it's just different/not Melee 2.0". Seriously, just stop that. It's annoying, dismissive and just not true.
People tend to be overly attached to a game while it's still new and everyone's hyped. It's probably for the best just to keep real opinions (if negative) away from the OT for a couple weeks. Smash fans are also pretty divided in general, so any 'I like this one better than that one' always has the chance to open the can of worms.

Ok, this is more of a question for those with the JP copies. For the demo users, too i guess, just as much since that is what I played on. But -

Last night I was doing some 3 player action in the demo. Several times, mid match, the game kept freezing. Like, totally stopped mid fight. Sometimes it would be a half a second, but several times it was several seconds. The Smash "icon" appeared in the bottom right corner, as if to say "I'm loading the rest of this fight". It was ridiculous.

Anyone else experience this?

Son Of D

Is this due to tier or no one just not enough people really using him?
I'm willing to guess it's the latter. Since he has a unique mechanic that will take some getting adjusted to for Smash and finding out possible strats with Shulk it could be a while to see good Shulk tech.

Has tekken always had that? If it was introduced later, did the tekken community have a meltdown about it?
Tekken Tag kind of had it. Basically after a character had taken so much damage their partner's health bar will flash and tagging them in temporarily gives them an increase in damage.

Tekken 6 has rage as we know it where someone who gets hit under a certain % of their health then they'll get a buff. It was more notable there and the effects were bigger.

Tag 2 brought back the rage from the first Tag game, although this time some characters when paired up can get rage earlier (if they're considered friends) or even get rage later (if enemies).

PKrockin

Yeah, it would be nice if we could stop throwing these same inaccurate assumptions around.

jorgejjvr

Whatever. Point is, I will be loving and enjoying Smash 4 for 3ds and wii u. And looking forward to beat all of you ;) nothing will kill my excitement or hype. I've played this demo more than some games, I can't imagine the full version. I've played Melee, brawl, and pm, and I usually stick with the new game for years, I'll be playing Smash 4 until the next one comes out. And from what I've seen, from the demo etc, Smash 4 seems to be a blast to play and better than its predecessors. I. Cannot. Wait.

It's about adapting to a new game. Not saying, I don't like this and this, I'm going back lol

georly

Do Miis have a chance to come up on random? I figure they don't, but maybe they went the extra mile.

Nope. I've never had mii come up random, and I've never fought against a mii i've created. I assume they'll get more play once I'm playing locally w/ friends, but single player content and for glory means I never use them.

Beats

People don't have to play games they don't find enjoyable.

emb

Ok, now I'm confused. You posted this twice just to confuse me, didn't you?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom