• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
I knew as soon as I posted that this would happen... Every time I even dare to say "I have more fun with an older game" someone ALWAYS posts the same "oh, you're just bitter because it's just different/not Melee 2.0". Seriously, just stop that. It's annoying, dismissive and just not true.

No that's perfectly fine. It's your opinion and personal preference of play. I just know it's inevitable because Sakurai will never be able to make a game that caters to the competitive scene like how Melee came about. With that it just means more will yearn for Melee and, maybe even more so, PM.

That's why I'll play both. I do like a lot of the new things being incorporated in Smash 4 (custom moves, New edge mechanics, New characters) but of course with so far the only neutral stages being FD stages, Battlefield and Yoshi's Island I imagine playing in that for glory style will get a bit stale. I may be wrong, but I guess we will all start figuring this out in 9 days. Also I'm pretty hopeful that the Wii U version will have more vanilla neutral stages than the 3DS has.

I believe this game's competitive scene will do well and be more relevant much longer than Brawl was. It's just a matter of how long will people play.

Anura

No that's perfectly fine. It's your opinion and personal preference of play. I just know it's inevitable because Sakurai will never be able to make a game that caters to the competitive scene like how Melee came about. With that it just means more will yearn for Melee and, maybe even more so, PM.

That's why I'll play both. I do like a lot of the new things being incorporated in Smash 4 (custom moves, New edge mechanics, New characters) but of course with so far the only neutral stages being FD stages, Battlefield and Yoshi's Island I imagine playing in that for glory style will get a bit stale. I may be wrong, but I guess we will all start figuring this out in 9 days. Also I'm pretty hopeful that the Wii U version will have more vanilla neutral stages than the 3DS has.

I believe this game's competitive scene will do well and be more relevant much longer than Brawl was. It's just a matter of how long will people play.
I certainly plan to play both in the long run. It's not as fun as PM but it isn't exactly bad at all. It's still a pretty good time. Having people I know to play against is going to help even if I don't think it's as fun as PM. Which brings me to...

:lol Yeah, it suck to see that you might be done with Smash 4. At least, please wait for me to get the game so we can fight before you quit entirely!

I live to kick your butt! I wouldn't dream of quitting before I get to that

Lothars

I knew as soon as I posted that this would happen... Every time I even dare to say "I have more fun with an older game" someone ALWAYS posts the same "oh, you're just bitter because it's just different/not Melee 2.0". Seriously, just stop that. It's annoying, dismissive and just not true.
Well you are allowed to like or dislike whatever you want. I think what rubs people the wrong way is the game isn't even out for most of the world and nobody knows how'd it will turn out competitively especially with it being only the 3ds version out and not the wii u version.

Most people may go back to melee or project m but I have a feeling more will stay with the wiiu version though nobody knows.

Yeah, there's no reason to jump down people's throats if they want to play an older Smash game. That's the advantage of Melee/Brawl/PM/3DSWiiU being so different from one another, you can play all of them and switch to another whenever you miss a certain mechanic or character. The bad stuff comes when people say they're giving up on one and only playing the old one, but not many people are saying that.

Next

Meh, I don't understand the community that begs for a new game, but wants it exactly as the old one. That's pointless. Much less the instant "wah wah its different so its worse" nature of it.

Let the game settle before bitching.

smash 4 seems like it is very much a continuation of brawl.

Exactly. It's not even about being competitive, some people (like me) just enjoy a faster paced Smash Bros.. I don't want a carbon copy of Melee, I just want a Smash Bros. game that I can enjoy as much as Melee. Because I can't play more than one match of the 3DS demo without wanting to strangle myself, I'll have to wait for the Wii U version (demo???) before I can really determine how good Smash 4 feels for me. I have high hopes for it, though.

But honestly, can we stop shitting on people for not enjoying a new Smash Bros. and immediately labeling them as elitist Melee fans?

I just personally feel like Melee is, for better and worse, a game that got released ten years ago. And certainly plays like it for me. It will be a game I remember fondly, but never one I will play at length again. Why would I?

Jawmuncher

I'm willing to guess it's the latter. Since he has a unique mechanic that will take some getting adjusted to for Smash and finding out possible strats with Shulk it could be a while to see good Shulk tech.

Looks like it will be a longer road for me using Shulk than I had anticipated.

J@hranimo

Banned
I certainly plan to play both in the long run. It's not as fun as PM but it isn't exactly bad at all. It's still a pretty good time. Having people I know to play against is going to help even if I don't think it's as fun as PM.

Ok cool. Also I didn't make my last post strictly about you, but just all Smashers in general. Let us all enjoy Smash!

I'm going back to PSASBR ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

D:

emb

It's been fun guys but I'm taking a break from this thread. Discussions are no longer fun here.
Just because discussions aren't the same as before, you're saying they're not fun? The game isn't even out in the US yet, give the discussion meta time to develop. Honestly, some people need to stop being so entitled and just adapt to the new style of discussion, rather than complaining how it's not like before.
Kappa. See you when the game is out though, probably whenever we play.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This game actually feels more balanced right now. I bet with more updates some of the bad PM characters will get better and end up better balanced. Relearning PM is also going to be hard lol

Easier than learning it the first time, especially with nobody to play, practice, and learn with :(

Been practicing stuff in training mode and I need to start playing some lower level CPUs and implementing it until I can do it without thinking about it.

It does look like there is a local Smash community starting up though. Literally starting, looks like people started organizing stuff earlier this month.

Next

People tend to be overly attached to a game while it's still new and everyone's hyped. It's probably for the best just to keep real opinions (if negative) away from the OT for a couple weeks. Smash fans are also pretty divided in general, so any 'I like this one better than that one' always has the chance to open the can of worms.

I don't agree with this, I don't think people should really refrain from stating their opinions. Just phrase it as what it is, an opinion.

I think what pisses off most, is some people trying to pass off every new mechanic as being bad, before we even have an idea how it'll impact the metagame.

Dimmle

Mother 3, certainly. The first one isn't very good, it's not worth bothering with, unless, you're a big fan of the Mother/Earthbound series.

Mother 1 is a nice game to save for a time when, provided Earthbound and Mother 3 struck a chord, you're longing for one more Mother experience. There's something poignant about finishing where the series started and it might be easier for someone to appreciate the original game in the context of its sequels. I certainly did.

I just personally feel like Melee is, for better and worse, a game that got released ten years ago. And certainly plays like it for me. It will be a game I remember fondly, but never one I will play at length again. Why would I?

I have the same mentality towards going back to older games as well. Even with how bad Brawl was (for me), I never went back to Melee. I usually just stick with whatever the newest game in a franchise is, as it's an odd feeling of "wasted hype" for a new entry to just shelve it and hardly play it again.

emb

I don't really understand this. Rather, I don't know what you mean by "certainly plays like it for me". To me it just feels like the new games made different design decisions.

What about the way the game plays makes it feel outdated? Nothing about being ten years old inherently means that it plays worse. Then again I also think Mario 64, Mario World, Sonic 2/3, and probably some others play better than their modern counterparts. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

georly

I doubt i'll be going back to other smash brothers after smash 4 unless it's at the request of another player. It scratches the right itch for me, albeit without ice climbers :/

I'm perfectly happy. I never plan on playing it at tournaments. It's perfect for around the house and with friends. It's faster than brawl, there's no tripping, and all the characters just feel the best they ever have. Even the slower ones feel good to play. I'm happy as can be and won't be going back.

Meh, I don't understand the community that begs for a new game, but wants it exactly as the old one. That's pointless. Much less the instant "wah wah its different so its worse" nature of it.

Let the game settle before bitching.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a similar experience, people are just really bummed the game might not live up to their expectations. Sadly, people should stop expecting anything remotely similar to Melee until Sakurai says he is done with the series. He's said numerous times that he feels some Melee design decisions weren't good in his eyes, and that doesn't fit with his philosophy. It's pretty simple.

Didn't Nintendo state at one point if they couldn't get Sakurai to come back, they were just going to release an HD Melee with online for the Wii U?

Rayis

Smash is probably never going back to being like Melee, I think fans need to come to terms with that, not as long as Sakurai is the developer.

We still have Melee to go back to, which after all these years it's just as fun to play as it was when it first came out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Nintendo state at one point if they couldn't get Sakurai to come back, they were just going to release an HD Melee with online for the Wii U?

Yes, but there is about a 99% chance that was not a literal statement. Brawl without Sakurai was never planned so nobody really has any idea what would have actually happened. The statement was to Sakurai as well, so it was probably intended to be a "we don't know what we would do without you" sort of thing.

Dimmle

I'm excited to usher in the era of Smash 4 but at the same time--

--Melee is pretty good.

Still, to my taste, Smash 4 has fixed more than it's fumbled. I can accept that I'll never get a new Smash with limited air dodges again; that's why PM exists.

SoldnerKei

I'm excited to usher in the era of Smash 4 but at the same time--

--Melee is pretty good.

Still, to my taste, Smash 4 has fixed more than it's fumbled. I can accept that I'll never get a new Smash with limited air dodges again; that's why PM exists.

yup, actually a friend is kind of sad because he thinks we'll stop playing Melee and PM when Smash 4 comes out, but there is no way we'll stop playing PM, I mean, Snake is there ; -;

I don't really understand this. Rather, I don't know what you mean by "certainly plays like it for me". To me it just feels like the new games made different design decisions.

What about the way the game plays makes it feel outdated? Nothing about being ten years old inherently means that it plays worse. Then again I also think Mario 64, Mario World, Sonic 2/3, and probably some others play better than their modern counterparts. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

If you think 64 plays better than Galaxy, then yeah, you're a little old fashioned.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I haven't really been following how online works because I didn't think it had a chance but since it seems to be working. I'm wondering:
Can you play worldwide? Will I be able to play with European players with my american 3DS?
Does the game have some sort of matchmaking which will allow me to pick opponents by latency?

Dimmle

That was before they asked Sakurai to make Brawl. It's HD Melee with online for Wii, not Wii U. Just want to correct you there.

That's asking a lot from the Wii. D:

yup, actually a friend is kind of sad because he thinks we'll stop playing Melee and PM when Smash 4 comes out, but there is no way we'll stop playing PM, I mean, Snake is there ; -;

Yeah, plus PM lets me entertain a revisionist history where Lucas was at one point in time a returning veteran.

RE: Should we embrace something new or demand more of the same, but refined?

I always think this is somewhat of a difficult discussion to delve into. Mainly because I feel like people -- no matter which side of the divide the reside on -- are prone to react more emotionally than rationally in terms of assessing the new vs. old debate. And that's not inherently a problem, mind you. I don't think people need to be cold, heartless robots who place objectivity before all else. But it can make a discussion like this result in fruitless meandering wherein people just talk past each other as they group the people they disagree with together perhaps unfairly.

And by that, I mean that it obviously does happen that some people just don't like change. Even if the new thing is better, they don't like it. It's different, and they don't like different. Even if the changes are demonstrably better, it doesn't feel right. Conversely, I think there are others who just grow tired of the same old same old to the point where any change -- even bad ones -- are welcomed. Even if the new thing is ostensibly way worse than the old, they'll argue that it's time to embrace change and that the people who disagree are just curmudgeonly old fools yelling at clouds.

It's not hard to understand why this is. After all, different strokes for different folks is a well-known adage. But the problem just becomes when some people earnestly want to discuss the merits of the new versus the old, but any attempt at rational discussion becomes ignored in favor of the two broader camps attacking strawmen versions of each other. Maybe Melee is always going to be my favorite game, but that doesn't mean that insight about Smash 4 is off base. Maybe I do like flashier new things replacing the tired old things of yesteryear, but also have valid reasons for liking Smash 4.

Personally, I'm not as invested in mechanical analysis as others are. I think the pro Smash scene is interesting and I enjoy watching pro matches now and then, but it's not something that I strive towards. Mind you, there were things about Brawl that I didn't like. But I think the reason why I hold Melee in higher regard has less to do with it being the objectively better game (though I think it is), and more to do with the fact that Melee existed during a different time in my life where I actually had access to a group of people in college that liked to play games all the time. There was a good solid year there where we got together to play Melee at least once a week, and continued to play less regularly than that for at least a couple more years. By the time of Brawl's release, we still got together occasionally, but not like in the college days.

Aside from the fact that I always like to work through the single player content of new Smash games, I'm hoping that -- despite having even less time for games now than when Brawl came out -- the online play for Smash 4 will be competent enough to keep playing for a bit. Brawl was obviously a mess in that regard, but the early impressions from the Japanese 3DS release seem promising enough. I guess we'll see what happens.

Anyhow, I kind of went on a tangent there. I understand that there's always going to be skepticism between the different camps that form in regards to the motivations of the people they disagree with. But I do think we need to understand that there's going to be people that want to focus on the here and now and others who want to compare it to past entries. And I think there's room in the discussion for both to co-exist.

JoeInky

I'm going to be going back to a mix of PM and Smash 4, weighted more towards PM probably around the time I get good internet again.

I'll be streaming both games and entering both games, but PM is just so much more fun to me as a Ness/Ganondorf main.

Ness just isn't good in this game and I'm always going to stand by this no matter what people say based on early impressions/tournaments, he has 3 good options, they're really good options sure, but there's only 3, it's incredibly predictable to play against and incredibly droll to play as.

It's even more apparent when I actually play against good players, I'll play like, 20 bad players and I'm able to do combos and actually use PK Fire/Thunder/Flash and get them off, but then I play against a good player and none of it works and I all I have to use are spaced Fairs, Dash attacks and Grabs, Grabs which have become incredibly boring due to the discovery of VI and completely wrecking his fun combo options.

I dunno, I enjoyed it whilst it lasted and we didn't know much but I'm always of the opinion that less exciting stuff happens as the game gets more figured out rather than the other way round due to the way the game's are now designed, and it's turning out to be true for me.

I'm looking forward to playing it with a proper controller and without an average 0.4 seconds input delay online, but I think I'll probably end up coming away with the opinion that Project M is just more fun for me.

Also different does not always equal better, you can be different and better and you can be better without being different, but they are not mutually exclusive, and it's annoying how often that opinion seems to come up, that different always equals better.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you think 64 plays better than Galaxy, then yeah, you're a little old fashioned.

To be fair that kind of depends on what you're referring to. Mario in 64 has a lot more moves and abilities he didn't have in later games. Yes the camera is wonky as hell, a lot of the courses aren't very good, and the goal design leaves a lot to be desired by today's standards, but as far as player's control over Mario goes, I think the Galaxy games are a step backwards. (And for reference, the Galaxy games are pretty much my favorite games ever, so that's not to say they aren't good or don't do anything right)

Same applies to Melee really, once you've mastered that game on the level of the pros the control you have over your character is incredible and not really comparable to Smash 4 (so far, and presumably ever) or Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom