• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

This is a game that has a random Rayman trophy for absolutely zero reason thus far.

Smash makes no sense.

Nintendo and Ubi had a partnership early in this gen. Rayman is a character who appears on Nintendo platforms and fits in fairly well alongside their mascots.

It's not zero reason, even if you don't personally care for him.

Zubz

Banned
I think Night Walk is probably the most obvious stage choice. It's high up and made of platforms, it's pretty iconic, and it's workable as either a moving stage (where you follow along with the Night Walker) or a static one (where you fight on a few staggered platforms that occasionally have the Night Walker/Marshall/whoever hop by).

Hopefully we can get more than one, though; there's so many different locations in Rhythm Heaven that would make for cool stages. Ideally I'd like one gimmicky one (where you have to do X or Y to the beat) and one more straightforward...

I know Rhythm Heaven itself was mentioned, but it has to be Night Walk; it feels the most condusive to being a stage, and although it'd probably be a scrolling stage I'd love it! Especially if the only gimmick is the bouncing squares.

Nintendo and Ubi had a partnership early in this gen. Rayman is a character who appears on Nintendo platforms and fits in fairly well alongside their mascots.

It's not zero reason, even if you don't personally care for him.

But Friends of Nintendo has never been part of Smash before. It breaks pattern and has no precedent. Is Ray Man the only character like this? Are there more?

afoni

Banned
I bought both Rhythm Heaven Fever and Beat The Beat: Rhythm Paradise at full price since I had both an NTSC and PAL Wii
and I also wanted to experience the game in Japanese because I liked it that much

Bought EBA and Ouendan used tho ;-;

I've never experienced the game in English and I never want to. Part of why I bought the games was for the Japanese audio.

Zubz

Banned
So it's YOUR fault!

image.php

Sorry, just noticed the avatar quoting possibilities. Seriously, though. I wish EBA sold well...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Smash thread should have a list of methods to unlock the characters but spoiler tag the name i.e.

Luigi
: Clear the first level of Adventure mode with a 2 at the end of the timer.

Because you know there will be some annoying methods like that which you can't really look up without finding out the character at the same time.

I've never experienced the game in English and I never want to. Part of why I bought the games was for the Japanese audio.
So when you gave the Japanese title earlier you really meant you bought the Japanese version? The PAL version has Japanese audio.

I'm still sticking to my idea of a Rhythm Heaven stage being a Remix that changes depending on the music that would play for the match. No, I haven't yet thought of a way of how that would work.
So it's YOUR fault!
I didn't know that EBA would have turned out to be the best DS game! I'm part of the problem. D:

Berordn

But Friends of Nintendo has never been part of Smash before. It breaks pattern and has no precedent. Is Ray Man the only character like this? Are there more?

Sonic? Snake? It's new and different for it to be exclusively in trophy form (though we still don't know if that's the only place he pops up), but it's not totally out of left field to see other company's mascots in Smash.

Muzy72

Banned
Smash thread should have a list of methods to unlock the characters but spoiler tag the name i.e.

Luigi

Because you know there will be some annoying methods like that which you can't really look up without finding out the character at the same time.
That's a pretty fantastic idea. I'd love to know the obscure unlock methods without actually knowing who's in the game.

It was clear that if any Smash Bros skills were going to help me with this tournament, it would be my Brawl fundamentals. I used a classic controller pro and disabled the use of the second analog stick. I set grab to L and shield to R, because that’s the way they mapped the buttons for the 3DS version, despite every instinct in my 13-year-veteran-of-the-Gamecube-controller hands wanting those two buttons flipped. Nonetheless, I grinded it out, and got used to the foreign button arrangement.

Very smart. Can't wait to find out how it ends! :p

afoni

Banned
So when you gave the Japanese title earlier you really meant you bought the Japanese version? The PAL version has Japanese audio.

I refuse to acknowledge that they gave the PAL version such a ridiculous name, so I just use the Japanese title instead.

Spinluck

Rhythm Heaven has some godtier level earworm material.

Me and my friends were humming those tunes for weeks--WEEKS. I've only played the Wii one.

Luigi

There should be something like that within the menu options of the game.

Ryce

Rayman Legends (where the trophy is from) is published by Nintendo in Japan, so it's technically a second-party game over there just like Wonderful 101, Custom Robo, and a ton of other featured IP. It's unconventional for the rest of the world, but Smash Bros. is a Japanese game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I refuse to acknowledge that they gave the PAL version such a ridiculous name, so I just use the Japanese title instead.
Similar to why I call the series Rhythm Tengoku because it's the only constant. I mean we went from Rhythm Paradise (why?) to Beat the Beat (again why?). The PAL names really are random. At least the yanks got the correct translation for Tengoku which is funny since NoA used to be funny about religion and heaven may have set off alarm bells back in the 90s.

Rayman Legends (where the trophy is from) is published by Nintendo in Japan, so it's technically a second-party game over there just like Wonderful 101, Custom Robo, and a ton of other featured IP. It's unconventional for the rest of the world, but Smash Bros. is a Japanese game.

W101 is first party. How many times does this need to be explained? Layton games are published by Nintendo in Europe yet they are still considered third party. Nintendo just offers to publish games to get them on their system.

Well, this would be one way to force competitive players to play with items on. (Obviously a fake leak, but I thought it was an interesting way to unlock characters.)

If anyone claims to be something related to NoA, Bamco or "Sora", its automatic bullshit. Specially from /v/

Ryce

W101 is first party. How many times does this need to be explained?
W101 is only first-party if you ignore the term "second-party," which some people prefer to do. Otherwise it qualifies as a second-party game.

1st - published by Nintendo, developed by Nintendo
2nd - published by Nintendo, developed by another company
3rd party - published and developed by another company

I'm comparing Rayman Legends to W101 in that both titles are published by Nintendo (Rayman Legends in Japan) but developed by Ubisoft and Platinum, respectively.

Tripon

W101 is only first-party if you ignore the term second-party, which some people prefer to do. Otherwise it qualifies as a second-party game.

I'm comparing Rayman Legends to W101 in that both titles are published by Nintendo (Rayman Legends in Japan) but developed by Ubisoft and Platinum, respectively.

Rayman Legends wasn't funded by Nintendo while W101 is. Nintendo also owns the W101 IP.

There's two different situations.

Ryce

Rayman Legends wasn't funded by Nintendo while W101 is. Nintendo also owns the W101 IP.

There's two different situations.
The Japanese version of Rayman Legends was manufactured and translated by Nintendo, only the Nintendo logo appears on the front of the box, and the official Japanese website is hosted/run by Nintendo. I'm just saying that from a Japanese perspective the Wii U version of Rayman Legends is just as much a Nintendo product as anything else. Sakurai would need Ubisoft's approval for the trophy just like he'd need consent from the studios behind the rest of the games he references. I don't think there are any deeper implications than simply wanting to include a trophy from a fairly recent game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I like how you ignore my Layton point when it is actually the correct comparison in this situation (third party game published by Nintendo) and instead insist on comparing it to W101 (a first party game developed by a third party) which is totally INCORRECT.

Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Ages would be what then?

Well, this would be one way to force competitive players to play with items on. (Obviously a fake leak, but I thought it was an interesting way to unlock characters.)

I could see Sakurai doing something like that, especially if the pokemon in question is mewtwo. Only other one that makes sense would be zoroark who we know is in the game from the greninja trailer but still hasn't been shown or seen in any pics or footage

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The Japanese version of Rayman Legends was manufactured and translated by Nintendo, only the Nintendo logo appears on the front of the box, and the official Japanese website is hosted/run by Nintendo. I'm just saying that from a Japanese perspective the Wii U version of Rayman Legends is just as much a Nintendo product as anything else. Sakurai would need Ubisoft's approval for the trophy just like he'd need consent from the studios behind the rest of the games he references. I don't think there are any deeper implications than simply wanting to include a trophy from a fairly recent game.

I would laugh hard if Ray Man ended up being "Surprise" character when you unlocked him in the game.

LOL 51 characters.

I can imagine that it's possible since we have 38 characters right now.

Muzy72

Banned
W101 is only first-party if you ignore the term "second-party," which some people prefer to do. Otherwise it qualifies as a second-party game.

The Wonderful 101 is absolutely a 1st party game. The IP is owned by Nintendo, it was co-developed by Nintendo SPD, it was funded and published by Nintendo, and was executively produced by Satoru Iwata. It's nothing like the Rayman Legends situation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
How many newcomers would that would be? Hypothetically

If we got all veterans without Snake, Lucas, Ivysaur and Squirtle (which is ten veterans) and two newcomers (Shulk and Chorus Kid)

That would be 12 characters + 38 revealed characters = 50 characters. If they managed to put Lucas or Mewtwo in then we would have 51 characters but my safe bet is 48 characters tho.

Let me ask you a question, is Super Smash Bros.4 2nd party? If it is, then do you consider Hyrule Warriors 2nd party too? Since you know, it's published by Nintendo, and developed by another company.

SmithnCo

If we got all veterans without Snake, Lucas, Ivysaur and Squirtle (which is ten veterans) and two newcomers (Shulk and Chorus Kid)

That would be 12 characters + 38 revealed characters = 50 characters. If they managed to put Lucas or Mewtwo in then we would have 51 characters but my safe bet is 48 characters tho.

There are currently 36 revealed characters.

Ryce

The Wonderful 101 is absolutely a 1st party game. The IP is owned by Nintendo, it was co-developed by Nintendo SPD, it was funded and published by Nintendo, and was executively produced by Satoru Iwata. It's nothing like the Rayman Legends situation.
Second-party doesn't mean "not Nintendo" -- second-party games can still be owned and funded by Nintendo. All it means is that the game was chiefly created by some other company. The Wonderful 101 was conceptualized and designed by Platinum and is very much their "baby." If a W101 character was playable, Platinum Games would be added to the character credits at the bottom of the site.

Also, literally everything Nintendo publishes is executively produced by Iwata -- he's the president of the company. That credit is honorific.

Let me ask you a question, is Super Smash Bros.4 2nd party? If it is, then do you consider Hyrule Warriors 2nd party too? Since you know, it's published by Nintendo, and developed by another company.
Yes to both. I didn't realize "second-party" was such a contentious term.

Juansho

Banned
With the release date arriving, I hope we get at least 5 newcomers more, I would be dissapointed if the only newcomers left to announce were Chorus Kid and Shulk

SmithnCo

With the release date arriving, I hope we get at least 5 newcomers more, I would be dissapointed if the only newcomers left to announce were Chorus Kid and Shulk

He said he was nearing the end of the newcomer trailers and I'm assuming they each get their own trailer. There could be more without trailers but I'm not really expecting much.

I'm only really expecting two or three more newcomers. Shulk, a Rhythm Heaven rep, and a surprise would fit right in with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the first two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom