• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Two more months until my second game purchase of the year, and my most anticipated title for a long time! :D

It's weird that by next month all the details will be out, characters, stages, modes etc.

Hopefully we get to see the unlock methods for secret characters too, with names not mentioned for surprise.

I guess next from I should blackout from Smash forums/OT, but there's always a way to accidentally stumble and spoil things for yourself...

Neiteio

thats what im saying! lol it just doesnt make any sense. Lucina looks different from Marth. think about it.
I used to think this would be an issue, but consider Sonic and how his alternates are different shades of blue. Basically, if Pit was allowed to come in white, red, yellow, green, etc., and Dark Pit had lighter and darker shades of black (Sonic-style), you could tell them apart. And that's before you get to the other details like the red sparkles during flight vs. the blue, the tweaks in animations to reflect cockiness, etc.

Golnei

I used to think this would be an issue, but consider Sonic and how his alternates are different shades of blue. Basically, if Pit was allowed to come in white, red, yellow, green, etc., and Dark Pit had lighter and darker shades of black (Sonic-style), you could tell them apart. And that's before you get to the other details like the red sparkles during flight vs. the blue, the tweaks in animations to reflect cockiness, etc.

Also, if their wing and hair colours are consistent for all palettes, that's another fairly significant distinguishing factor. Though I'd still prefer him to just be a costume.

Forkball

Two more months until my second game purchase of the year, and my most anticipated title for a long time! :D

It's weird that by next month all the details will be out, characters, stages, modes etc.

Hopefully we get to see the unlock methods for secret characters too, with names not mentioned for surprise.

I guess next from I should blackout from Smash forums/OT, but there's always a way to accidentally stumble and spoil things for yourself...

As soon as that download finishes on September 13th, I am spoiling the SHIT outta this game right here in this very thread.

I think it is going to be very, very, very hard to protect yourself from spoilers after the Japanese release. If you go anywhere gaming related on the net, you will see a picture or a title that completely spoils something. We could always have a Pokemon XY-esque leak where we know almost everything days before release as well.

Neiteio

What is the leak mods on smash boards are vouching for?
Someone on Smashboards correctly rendered several of the new alternate colors for Mario, Bowser, etc., before they were confirmed at E3. This person also said that the remaining newcomers include Duck Hunt Dog and the Koopa Clown Car (what I'm calling Koopa Crew -- he says you can choose from Bowser Jr. or any of the seven Koopalings, and they pilot the Koopa Clown Car, which makes for one set of hit-boxes and properties no matter who's driving it). This person also said that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are on the roster as Lucina-style clones. Apparently, several mods are vouching for him, making the rumor quite popular right now at Smashboads.

How would we tell them apart with alternate colors?

They'd have to make their alts not too different I guess.

Like their wings would always be white/black for instance.

Someone on Smashboards correctly rendered several of the new alternate colors for Mario, Bowser, etc., before they were confirmed at E3. This person also said that the remaining newcomers include Duck Hunt Dog and the Koopa Clown Car (what I'm calling Koopa Crew -- he says you can choose from Bowser Jr. or any of the seven Koopalings, and they pilot the Koopa Clown Car, which makes for one set of hit-boxes and properties no matter who's driving it). This person also said that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are on the roster as Lucina-style clones. Apparently, several mods are vouching for him, making the rumor quite popular right now at Smashboads.

Sounds like they had access to the E3 demo beforehand and latched onto something they could use to give them credit (alt colours) to spread bogus rumours.
Koopa Clown Car would be a ridiculous character.

Someone on Smashboards correctly rendered several of the new alternate colors for Mario, Bowser, etc., before they were confirmed at E3. This person also said that the remaining newcomers include Duck Hunt Dog and the Koopa Clown Car (what I'm calling Koopa Crew -- he says you can choose from Bowser Jr. or any of the seven Koopalings, and they pilot the Koopa Clown Car, which makes for one set of hit-boxes and properties no matter who's driving it). This person also said that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are on the roster as Lucina-style clones. Apparently, several mods are vouching for him.

So Sakurai is including 8 characters in one slot after going out of his way to separate movesets? I dunno seems kind of iffy to me

Edit: Oh I guess you mean that the character is the clown car itself, and instead of alt colors you just have B junior or the 7 koopalings as color options

Neiteio

They'd have to make their alts not too different I guess.

Like their wings would always be white/black for instance.
Yeah, if Pit and his alt colors always had white wings, and Dark Pit and his alts always had black wings, that'd be a strong distinction right there. And like I said, Dark Pit could be like Sonic where all of his alts are merely lighter/darker shades of his main color.

Someone's draft of individual character symbols. It would be too fiddly to implement, but it's a nice concept.
tumblr_n9oxx84Ny71sj97b2o1_1280.png

Also,
RETURN OF GANNON
This is a cool idea, though I don't agree with some of the choices. Mario should be M, Luigi should be L, Dr. Mario should be a pill, (even though I love the viruses), Wario his W, Megaman should just be his helmet or an E Tank, etc. (I'd probably change most of the Pokémon ones too.)

Also, Falco and Wolf are just outta luck, eh? (Does Star Wolf have a symbol?)

SuperSah

Banned
As soon as that download finishes on September 13th, I am spoiling the SHIT outta this game right here in this very thread.

I think it is going to be very, very, very hard to protect yourself from spoilers after the Japanese release. If you go anywhere gaming related on the net, you will see a picture or a title that completely spoils something. We could always have a Pokemon XY-esque leak where we know almost everything days before release as well.

Great. :(

I really want to see unlock methods etc. without the major spoilers. Ah, well.

Neiteio

So Sakurai is including 8 characters in one slot after going out of his way to separate movesets? I dunno seems kind of iffy to me

Edit: Oh I guess you mean that the character is the clown car itself, and instead of alt colors you just have B junior or the 7 koopalings as color options
Yeah, the "character" is the Koopa Clown Car, with its bubble dome (seen during certain battles in NSMBU), and its arms with the boxing gloves. I'd guess it could also attack with its propeller bounce, its Bullet Bills, Bob-ombs, Mecha-Koopas, Big Steelies, etc.

All you're changing with the alts is the visual animation inside the cockpit -- either Bowser Jr. or one of the Koopalings, seen from the waist up. The hit-boxes, the properties, the attacks, etc., all stay the same since they're all tied to the Koopa Clown Car.

Again, it's just a rumor, but one gaining serious steam on Smashboards. If nothing else, it's fun to imagine until it's confirmed or debunked, and if nothing else, it'll be a top DLC/next Smash wishlist item for me if it doesn't pan out. :)

i definitely see and respect where you're coming from on the potential inclusion of Dark Pit from those differences you described, but as much as im trying to be open minded here, i just cant see Dark Pit being something other than a recolor...

that said, why would mods vouch for that rumor? i mean, koopa kids? really? ANOTHER mario rep? Duck Hunt Dog alone seems more like an "American" thing that gamers would like to see. ROB made sense because he came with both famicom systems and NES systems so it was something more gamers were likely to recognize if they grew up in that era. its nostalgic. i dont believe Duck hunt was a series that resonated with japanese gamers much... If anything, I personally feel Sakurai tries to reach out to a more global standpoint when picking characters for a roster.

Great. :(

I really want to see unlock methods etc. without the major spoilers. Ah, well.

Well there is a possibility if this smash board + gematsu leak may be the final roster if both are true.

I honestly just can't accept DHD as a playable character, as far as I can tell he doesn't even have an official name. I really can't accept a character flat out called DUCK HUNT DOG, or just DOG

Neiteio

Sounds like they had access to the E3 demo beforehand and latched onto something they could use to give them credit (alt colours) to spread bogus rumours.

Koopa Clown Car would be a ridiculous character.
Regarding how this "leaker" did it -- maybe, maybe not.

RE: Koopa Clown Car: I think it'd be an awesome MODOK-style character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sakurai wouldn't necessarily give K. Rool all of his outfits.
Technically that's not all his outfits because I didn't mention Aztec Rool. The leaker claims he is just called Rool because he sports more than his king outfit but then only mentions one additional outfit. It would have made more sense to say King K Roll is in with a Kaptain alt costume. Another case of a leaker not thinking things through.

Neiteio

i definitely see and respect where you're coming from on the potential inclusion of Dark Pit from those differences you described, but as much as im trying to be open minded here, i just cant see Dark Pit being something other than a recolor...

that said, why would mods vouch for that rumor? i mean, koopa kids? really? ANOTHER mario rep? Duck Hunt Dog alone seems more like an "American" thing that gamers would like to see. ROB made sense because he came with both famicom systems and NES systems so it was something more gamers were likely to recognize if they grew up in that era. its nostalgic. i dont believe Duck hunt was a series that resonated with japanese gamers much... If anything, I personally feel Sakurai tries to reach out to a more global standpoint when picking characters for a roster.

Well there is a possibility if this smash board + gematsu leak may be the final roster if both are true.

I honestly just can't accept DHD as a playable character, as far as I can tell he doesn't even have an official name. I really can't accept a character flat out called DUCK HUNT DOG, or just DOG
Duck Hunt Dog (or Dog & Ducks, if you want to call him that) is no more a ridiculous name than Wii Fit Trainer, which also has its game name in the title, or other character names such as Mr. Game & Watch, Chorus Kids (assuming they're legit), etc.

Duck Hunt Dog would presumably wield the NES Light Zapper, firing pixelated bullets, and he'd probably work together with the ducks, who could factor into his smash attacks and tilts (swinging them around) and also serve as his recovery. He's an iconic piece of NES imagery... I think it's plausible he could be in.

As for the Koopa Crew, again, if it's true (and that's a big "if"), I wouldn't be surprised, insofar as 1) Mario is Nintendo's top franchise, 2) the Koopa Crew have been in the last three NSMB games, and 3) there is an NSMB stage in both the 3DS version and the WiiU version.

Mistle

So guys, if you could have any one character added to the roster, who would it be?

hmm, probably skull kid.

--

also, if that rumor is true, i'd be very surprised. but i won't exactly be disappointed (except for dark pit, ugh). i still really would like shulk and chorus kids however, they're great additions.

Neiteio

Technically that's not all his outfits because I didn't mention Aztec Rool. The leaker claims he is just called Rool because he sports more than his king outfit but then only mentions one additional outfit. It would have made more sense to say King K Roll is in with a Kaptain alt costume. Another case of a leaker not thinking things through.
Well, think about it -- the one with the lab coat is named Baron K. Roolenstein. The King and the Kaptain both go by K. Rool, so you could actually call them K. Rool, generically, and share their two outfits. But that wouldn't work with the lab coat, unless you changed the name.

At any rate, I don't believe any rumor that lists K. Rool as a playable character, anyways. But I'm just pointing out there's no particular flaw with the way that one person did it. :)

Richie

Discussing the possibility of Duck Hunt Dog in earnest...The franchise has rather little to pull representation from, now? The classic grasslands would serve as the stage, sure (and it'd likely be a shared one between the Wii U and 3DS), but as far as the music? Sakurai and Co. would have to get inventive with some medleys a lá Mr. Game & Watch.

Excited about the chance of more newcomers in general, regardless of who they are. Plus, a chance to get personal hold on that dog since Vs. Duck Hunt?

wYVwVCA03Q7h

Why not?

Honestly the biggest problem with a Koopa Clown Car as a character is that it would have to move along the ground like the other smash characters, and that would look INCREDIBLY awkward. If you're going to include the KCC it should be as an assist trophy so it can fly around and throw down things and dive bomb people, or it needs to fly in the players hands, but unless it has a classic health meter style system I really can't see it working in Smash.

Neiteio

Honestly the biggest problem with a Koopa Clown Car as a character is that it would have to move along the ground like the other smash characters, and that would look INCREDIBLY awkward. If you're going to include the KCC it should be as an assist trophy so it can fly around and throw down things and dive bomb people, or it needs to fly in the players hands, but unless it has a classic health meter style system I really can't see it working in Smash.
I trust Sakurai could make it work. For example, some people here said they couldn't picture Mewtwo as a character in Smash (since the anime depicts him as flying most of the time) but then Melee came along and grounded him most of the time. With KCC, some combination of that and, say, ROB's extended hover could work. Or as others have noted, earlier in the thread, Sakurai could take some liberties and simply make the KCC sprout wheels while on the ground, akin to the KCC kart in Mario Kart. Heck, it could even have arms and legs as per its depiction in Yoshi Safari! The fact Sakurai could go all-out designing a mighty morphin' transforming robot would probably be the main appeal of the character to him -- and it serves as a vehicle (literally) to represents a variety of popular Mario characters.

Regardless, the mario series having both Dr. Mario AND Koopa Crew just seems clustered and unnecessary. We have plenty of iconic reps that have been officially revealed so far, so having those two seems a bit far fetched.

Think about it, every character officially in the game seems to be characters that are very memorable to gamers. I don't think *many* people are like "I really want Dr. Mario back!". I think he was only in melee because Sakurai chose to add clones due to time restraints since making Dedede would've taken way more time. He should be gone for good. Along with Pichu.

That goes for the Koopa Crew as well. These are Gaming ICONS fighting against each other. That means Wii Fit Trainer makes sense because they were from a very popular Nintendo Ip so people understand that. I don't think many people except the vocal minority are clamoring for the koopas inclusion. To me, its like adding Kafei from Zelda. Sakurai is very creative with handling characters but it still seems like an idea that I feel he wouldn't work with.

I'll give you duck & dog though. Still, it just seems hard to believe. We'll see by next month (if leaks dont come by this month).

EDIT - Rosalina is the perfect final rep for the series. That is all. lol

Neiteio

Discussing the possibility of Duck Hunt Dog in earnest...The franchise has rather little to pull representation from, now? The classic grasslands would serve as the stage, sure (and it'd likely be a shared one between the Wii U and 3DS), but as far as the music? Sakurai and Co. would have to get inventive with some medleys a lá Mr. Game & Watch.

Excited about the chance of more newcomers in general, regardless of who they are. Plus, a chance to get personal hold on that dog since Vs. Duck Hunt?

wYVwVCA03Q7h

Why not?
Yeah, and for the Final Smash, the player could aim a reticule and fire at players on the screen while the dog laughs and laughs. :) You could even have the signature screen flash signifying each shot.

And I'm sure they could come up with moves:

DHDcolored.png

Neiteio

Regardless, the mario series having both Dr. Mario AND Koopa Crew just seems clustered and unnecessary. We have plenty of iconic reps that have been officially revealed so far, so having those two seems a bit far fetched.

Think about it, every character officially in the game seems to be characters that are very memorable to gamers. I don't think *many* people are like "I really want Dr. Mario back!". I think he was only in melee because Sakurai chose to add clones due to time restraints since making Dedede would've taken way more time. He should be gone for good. Along with Pichu.

That goes for the Koopa Crew as well. These are Gaming ICONS fighting against each other. That means Wii Fit Trainer makes sense because they were from a very popular Nintendo Ip so people understand that. I don't think many people except the vocal minority are clamoring for the koopas inclusion. To me, its like adding Kafei from Zelda. Sakurai is very creative with handling characters but it still seems like an idea that I feel he wouldn't work with.

I'll give you duck & dog though. Still, it just seems hard to believe. We'll see by next month (if leaks dont come by this month).

EDIT - Rosalina is the perfect final rep for the series. That is all. lol
All seven Koopalings were recently in Mario Kart 8. Bowser Jr. was in both Galaxies. Both Jr. and all seven Koopalings were in NSMB Wii, NSMB2 (repped by Golden Plains the 3DS version), and NSMBU (repped by Mushroom Kingdom U in the WiiU version).

And take a cursory look at wish-lists leading up to SSB4's development. One of the most requested characters was Bowser Jr. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they're in the game as a playable character. Like I said, from Sakurai's standpoint, it's effectively a robot character that's a blank slate for him to design as he pleases, with many types of moves to draw from in the source material and then tweak as he wishes. It's easy to see how that'd appeal to him creatively.

As for Dr. Mario... I'd imagine it would be just a way to pump up the roster. Further differentiate him from Mario, and include him as a Lucina-style clone (who coincidentally is far more de-cloned than Lucina). :)

if ice climbers are out,i'm seriously thinking about not getting this smash bros.

Why would Ice Climbers be out?

Edit: just saw the post a few up saying it was part of the rumor. The Duck Hunt Dog picture distracted me when I clicked the thread and I didn't look at anything above it lol

MAtgS

I just want to thank Weiner_Whistle again for making a mockup of my roster from pages ago, where I attempt to reconcile the Gematsu leak with the current rumor that mods are vouching for on Smashboards:

smashrostercustom_zpstlzr3.png

Is there any 3DS final roster mock-ups? 'cuz I'm pretty sure every fake roster forgets that detail.

Richie

Yeah, and for the Final Smash, the player could aim a reticule and fire at players on the screen while the dog laughs and laughs. :) You could even have the signature screen flash signifying each shot.

I love the holy hell out of that idea. Perhaps too mechanically similar to Zero Suit Samus' current FS (and Snake's...if he is coming back), but that has to be in if the dog is. It just HAS to.

Neiteio

Is there any 3DS final roster mock-ups? 'cuz I'm pretty sure every fake roster forgets that detail.
"Roster mockup." That's a roster I made (and Weiner_Whistle shopped) reconciling two rumors. It's not presented as truth, yet we also don't know it's fake.

As for the 3DS screen, it's going to be packed no matter what happens, and that has less to do with the newcomers on this mockup and more to do with the veterans who are likely coming back. :)

Almost makes me wonder if they'll just put a spinning globe on the final 3DS select screen instead of sticking to icons, because it's going to be hard to see on the XL, let alone OG.

Don't take this the wrong way

I feel like Duck Hunt Dog is the new retro rep that fake leakers are latching onto now that Takamaru has been confirmed as an Assist Trophy only.

Hatchtag

Banned

I'm honestly thinking that the 3DS version will have you scroll up/down or left/right to see more of the roster. It'd be kind of hard to fit all the characters we have now on one screen, let alone if we get 10 more. Plus, it's not like it'd fuck anything up, since you have your own screen and all.

Neiteio

What would Mr Peepers have for normals?
I picture the ducks following the dog, so he could snatch one and swing it by the neck, smacking enemies, or the ducks could lunge over the dog and into his enemies.

This would actually be a nice opportunity for Nintendo to make Duck Hunt "non-violent," by showing that the ducks weren't actually killed, but rather they were "zapped" by the Zapper. Here, we'd see the ducks working together with the dog as a team. :)

MAtgS

"Roster mockup." That's a roster I made (and Weiner_Whistle shopped) reconciling two rumors. It's not presented as truth, yet we also don't know it's fake.

I wasn't directly referring to that one in particular, it just was what spurred a question.

All seven Koopalings were recently in Mario Kart 8. Bowser Jr. was in both Galaxies. Both Jr. and all seven Koopalings were in NSMB Wii, NSMB2 (repped by Golden Plains the 3DS version), and NSMBU (repped by Mushroom Kingdom U in the WiiU version).

And take a cursory look at wish-lists leading up to SSB4's development. One of the most requested characters was Bowser Jr. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they're in the game as a playable character. Like I said, from Sakurai's standpoint, it's effectively a robot character that's a blank slate for him to design as he pleases, with many types of moves to draw from in the source material and then tweak as he wishes. It's easy to see how that'd appeal to him creatively.

As for Dr. Mario... I'd imagine it would be just a way to pump up the roster. Further differentiate him from Mario, and include him as a Lucina-style clone (who coincidentally is far more de-cloned than Lucina). :)

I feel like this is something similar to when that geno rumor came about before Brawl.. but hey, this is Smash. Who knows what'll happen?

I would honestly be very disappointed by these choices though. It seems like a roster stylized by fan choices, and when you look at how the Brawl roster turned out (which imo had a fantastic conclusion with Rob being the final surprise) this does not seem like creative choices for characters. You might as well add Toad next game, and Kamek.

Neiteio

Why are Smash Boards mods vouching for anyone?
Part of it is how the "leaker" (in quotes for a reason) correctly rendered several all-new alternate color schemes for Mario, Bowser, etc., before they were confirmed at E3. Perhaps the mods have also done some sort of background check over PM like they'd do here at GAF. I dunno.

BassForever said:
Don't take this the wrong way

I feel like Duck Hunt Dog is the new retro rep that fake leakers are latching onto now that Takamaru has been confirmed as an Assist Trophy only.
Hey, I'm not taking anything the wrong way. I'm hardly convinced this rumor is true. I'm just saying it's possible, as in I could see those characters in the game. That's all. :)

If it turns out to be false, I won't be surprised at all. I'll just want these characters as DLC, or in the next Smash!

Makai

If they're doing clones, there should at least be as much separation from their source movesets as was in Melee. And only 3 clones? :S

Neiteio

I feel like this is something similar to when that geno rumor came about before Brawl.. but hey, this is Smash. Who knows what'll happen?

I would honestly be very disappointed by these choices though. It seems like a roster stylized by fan choices, and when you look at how the Brawl roster turned out (which imo had a fantastic conclusion with Rob being the final surprise) this does not seem like creative choices for characters. You might as well add Toad next game, and Kamek.
Again, I totally agree this could very well be a bogus rumor. But I wouldn't say it's uncreative. People asking for Bowser Jr. and/or the Koopalings is nothing new. But putting them in a robot body in the form of the Koopa Clown Car? That seems like something Sakurai would do. I could picture him making it fun -- the propeller bounce, the boxing gloves on extendable arms, the bombs, the missiles, and so on. Not to mention the facial expressions can change on the Clown Car. :)

Makai

Part of it is how the "leaker" (in quotes for a reason) correctly rendered several all-new alternate color schemes for Mario, Bowser, etc., before they were confirmed at E3. Perhaps the mods have also done some sort of background check over PM like they'd do here at GAF. I dunno.
Didn't they also vouch for that guy saying the game would have Mortal Kombat style combos and toggleable wavedashing/L-canceling? Is this the same guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom