• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Didn't they also vouch for that guy saying the game would have Mortal Kombat style combos and toggleable wavedashing/L-canceling? Is this the same guy?
I don't think so, but the resident expert on this matter in this thread, IIRC, is WiiRevolution, since she is a Smashboards member who has been participating in that thread. I've just been summarizing everything she's told us.

Richie

The thing that makes me very skeptical on the Koopa Clown Car is the ability to choose from Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings. Sure, the hitboxes would all be the same seeing as they'd all fit inside the Car, but what about their animations? Every single move the Car does is gonna trigger a different animation out of them, not to mention taunts. I'll concede the Final Smash as a possible Pokémon Trainer deal, with all of them playing a role, but otherwise? Would Sakurai really put so much work into a single moveset, having 8 different animations for every single attack, without counting custom moves?

Again, I totally agree this could very well be a bogus rumor. But I wouldn't say it's uncreative. People asking for Bowser Jr. and/or the Koopalings is nothing new. But putting them in a robot body in the form of the Koopa Clown Car? That seems like something Sakurai would do. I could picture him making it fun -- the propeller bounce, the boxing gloves on extendable arms, the bombs, the missiles, and so on. Not to mention the facial expressions can change on the Clown Car. :)

I'll give you this, it would be pretty humorous to see the character when you put it like that. But, there's plenty of other choices to go with that would make the roster more "fleshed out".
Take out Dark Pit, throw in Krystal. Boom, another strong female rep. You could rework fox's moveset and add in a spear. I can work with duck & dog. would be a cool character. As for Koopa Crew, well, what about someone like Ridley?

Also, im on mobile so im having a tough time finding the smashboards link. may i get it please?

Didn't mods at smashboards close/lock/ban threads that said Rob was playable around Brawl's release in Japan despite the fact they were correct? I wouldn't take too much stock in anything a smash board mod vouches for.

Neiteio

The thing that makes me very skeptical on the Koopa Clown Car is the ability to choose from Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings. Sure, the hitboxes would all be the same seeing as they'd all fit inside the Car, but what about their animations? Every single move the Car does is gonna trigger a different animation out of them, not to mention taunts. I'll concede the Final Smash as a possible Pokémon Trainer deal, with all of them playing a role, but otherwise? Would Sakurai really put so much work into a single moveset, having 8 different animations for every single attack, without counting custom moves?
Since each pilot would only be seen from the waist up, the reactions of the pilots could be rather minimal compared to the Koopa Clown Car itself. Remember, the car has a changing face, it has arms that can bend and sway, etc. They could probably get away with less variation in the pilot animations than the Koopalings had in MK8, which wasn't too much in the first place.

Again, not saying I believe they're in, but I'm just saying I believe they can work.

I'll give you this, it would be pretty humorous to see the character when you put it like that. But, there's plenty of other choices to go with that would make the roster more "fleshed out".
Take out Dark Pit, throw in Krystal. Boom, another strong female rep. You could rework fox's moveset and add in a spear. I can work with duck & dog. would be a cool character. As for Koopa Crew, well, what about someone like Ridley?

Also, im on mobile so im having a tough time finding the smashboards link. may i get it please?
I don't have the link on-hand. WiiRevolution posted it earlier. I know you need to be a Smashboards member to view it, though, so I guess it's in their restricted area. But signing up is quick and free, apparently.

I agree there are other characters I'd find preferable. Again, I'm just presenting this mockup as a combination of the two leading rumors (Gematsu and Smashboards), and I'm just saying how I could see it working out if it's true.

Didn't mods at smashboards close/lock/ban threads that said Rob was playable around Brawl's release in Japan despite the fact they were correct? I wouldn't take too much stock in anything a smash board mod vouches for.
I don't know. As a general rule of thumb, take everything there with a grain of salt, I'd say.

Still fun to consider this roster possibility, though. :)

Makai

Just reuse the same animation with different models.

Makai

There was a thread with the entire full roster well ahead of release and it was vandalized by a mod, who also ridiculed the OP.

Neiteio

With regards to taunts on a hypothetical Koopa Clown Car, the car itself could have several of the taunts, and then each pilot could have one unique taunt.

Again, it's a fully workable concept. Whether it's in the game, I could see it going either way, based on what we have to work with here, which isn't much.

JoeInky

What's this obsession with adding more female reps anyway? I've seen it a few times now.

There have been quite a few female newcomers added, I want more non-humanoids and villains now.

I mean we've just had humanoid sword wielder with female alt, humanoid sword wielding clone, humanoid with staff, customisable humanoid, humanoid boxer, humanoid with stand, red humanoid, blue humanoid projectile character and white humanoid.

It's boring from a visual perspective, even pacman and greninja could be considered relatively humanoid and all of them can't be considered villains.

Sendou

It's Sakurai's birthday? He posted this on Twitter:

BuG2c1mCYAAO-C4.jpg:large

Google translate isn't very useful: "In attendance during the holiday, I had celebrated from volunteer staff. Thanks a bunch!
It's a difficult time, but I'll survive."

Richie

Since each pilot would only be seen from the waist up, the reactions of the pilots could be rather minimal compared to the Koopa Clown Car itself. Remember, the car has a changing face, it has arms that can bend and sway, etc. They could probably get away with less variation in the pilot animations than the Koopalings had in MK8, which wasn't too much in the first place.

Again, not saying I believe they're in, but I'm just saying I believe they can work.

Just reuse the same animation with different models.

I'm a total noob when it comes to programming shortcuts (hell, programming in general) so I don't know how viable it'd be, and if it really wouldn't be too much effort to be worth it for the team.

But hey, if this indeed happens, more power to everyone. Kicking ass as Morton, AKA lone KISS fan on the Mushroom Kingdom, is something too good to pass up.

Neiteio

Here's what would be nice about Koopa Crew and Duck Hunt Dog:

Most of the newcomers so far have been human or humanoid: Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Mii Fighters, Palutena, Lucina, Robin.

And many of the newcomers have had dark colors and/or the color blue.

The Koopa Crew and Duck Hunt Dog would add some straight-up animal mascots (distinctly Nintendo, I might add), and they would also add some color -- greens, reds, oranges, etc.

So yeah, I think they'd add nicely to the visual variety.

What's this obsession with adding more female reps anyway? I've seen it a few times now.

There have been quite a few female newcomers added, I want more non-humanoids and villains now.

I mean we've just had humanoid sword wielder with female alt, humanoid sword wielding clone, humanoid with staff, customisable humanoid, humanoid boxer, humanoid with stand, red humanoid, blue humanoid projectile character and white humanoid.

It's boring from a visual perspective, even pacman and greninja could be considered relatively humanoid and all of them can't be considered villains.

Why not have more female reps? Variety is always a plus in fighting games, and besides, Krystal would be a strong addition to the roster in my opinion.

Im not one of those silly conspiracists, but Ridley would definitely be a great pick as a villain character over those supposed rumor characters. I see where Nieito is coming from, because it makes more sense to see how to understand where sakurai is coming from IF (and thats a big if) these characters are added.

I dont know man...I just want Snake back. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope people realise that giving the zapper to the DH Dog would result in giving him a gun in the Japanese version.

JoeInky

Atta Bat! They're really the characters that'd personally hype me the most out of any possible newcomers.

At this point of the series, though, there isn't any character I'm actively wishing for the roster. Back in Brawl it was Villager and Little Mac, and they're both here this time around. Anything from this point onward is cherry on the cake. Hell, I'd rather be surprised with what Sakurai comes up with. Initially I couldn't care less for Pac-Man, yet I find myself watching his Roundtable Live Reaction over and over again. (Really wish there was one like this for every single trailer).

There's a parallel universe out there where the Captain Falcon reveal trailer was first shown at EVO and I can't imagine it being anything but spectacular.

Neiteio

Why not have more female reps? Variety is always a plus in fighting games, and besides, Krystal would be a strong addition to the roster in my opinion.

Im not one of those silly conspiracists, but Ridley would definitely be a great pick as a villain character over those supposed rumor characters. I see where Nieito is coming from, because it makes more sense to see how to understand where sakurai is coming from IF (and thats a big if) these characters are added.

Oh trust me, if I could have my way, I'd have Ridley and Krystal. And I'd definitely have Snake back. But I also like the idea of the Koopa Crew and Duck Hunt Dog. :)

Honesty, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Smashboards rumor was false. I'm just letting myself "dream" a bit since it seems to have developed unusual momentum over there. So who knows... Maybe.

Reading the thread I'm not seeing much to make this leak seem any more believable then every other leak out there. I'm highly suspect of a leak that says "wolf/lucas are cut, Dr Mario and Dark Pit are their own full character". The leak also says Ice Climbers is gone, which while could be possible due to technical reasons on the 3DS I just really have a hard time taking it seriously unlike say the Gematsu leak. If the next newcomer revealed is Duck Hunt Dog or Koopa Clown Car then I'll accept that this leak has some level of credibility.

Oh trust me, if I could have my way, I'd have Ridley and Krystal. And I'd definitely have Snake back. But I also like the idea of the Koopa Crew and Duck Hunt Dog. :)

Honesty, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Smashboards rumor was false. I'm just letting myself "dream" a bit since it seems to have developed unusual momentum over there. So who knows... Maybe.

Well i definitely respect your open minded-ness and optimism!

I'm sure, whatever the case, we should always know that Sakurai and his team did their best creating a well thought out roster for SSB4.
I'm sure we'll eventually understand why each character unrevealed yet made it to the roster, instead of whining and complaining because "soandso" is in the roster. lol

JoeInky

I'd prefer variety in the form of non-standard characters though, Nintendo has had loads of non-humanoid character designs throughout it's history, and it's disappointing to see nothing but humanoids from recent games added.

The retro Nintendo representation is just lacking in favour of retro third party reps and a load of newer characters, and it's only going to be worse when chrom gets added, at least chorus men will be interesting.

Neiteio

Reading the thread I'm not seeing much to make this leak seem any more believable then every other leak out there. I'm highly suspect of a leak that says "wolf/lucas are cut, Dr Mario and Dark Pit are their own full character". The leak also says Ice Climbers is gone, which while could be possible due to technical reasons on the 3DS I just really have a hard time taking it seriously unlike say the Gematsu leak. If the next newcomer revealed is Duck Hunt Dog or Koopa Clown Car then I'll accept that this leak has some level of credibility.
Someone pointed out earlier in this thread that different people may be seeing different builds of the game with different characters at different times. This may something that's done to control leaks. We know from the Treehouse's comments at E3 that they receive new builds with new characters periodically, so if true, it stands to reason that others with access to builds may see different things at different times.

But before I get ahead of myself here... Yes, I agree 100% this Smashboards rumor could be false. I certainly wouldn't bet money on it being right. But all things considered, it's still the No. 2 leading rumor after Gematsu (a distant No. 2, but No. 2 all the same), so I figured it was worth a look at what might be the "complete" roster by combining the two takes on what may be different builds.

I'd prefer variety in the form of non-standard characters though, Nintendo has had loads of non-humanoid character designs throughout it's history, and it's disappointing to see nothing but humanoids from recent games added.

The retro Nintendo representation is also lacking in favour of retro third party reps and a load of newer characters, and it's only going to be worse when chrom gets added, at least chorus men will be interesting.

eh, Chrom? I love FE awakening and all, but I must admit, I dont think chrom will be in the roster, only as part of Robin's FS. By the time Smash 5 is in development, I don't think the series will be relevant enough to add Chrom. Sakurai will again, look at choices from the FE game that comes out around the time of Smash 5.

JoeInky

eh, Chrom? I love FE awakening and all, but I must admit, I dont think chrom will be in the roster, only as part of Robin's FS. By the time Smash 5 is in development, I don't think the series will be relevant enough to add Chrom. Sakurai will again, look at choices from the FE game that comes out around the time of Smash 5.

Whoops, I meant Shulk, they're all just a boring blur to me.

Neiteio

Koopa Kids and Bowser Jr. in a Clown Car...

speed-racer-lol-no.gif

I'd be down for Duckhunt Dog, oddly.
Just to clarify (and not that this would make it less silly to you or anything), the way the rumor presented it, only one of them are in the car at a time. Since the car does all the fighting, it doesn't matter who's piloting it -- it still handles and performs the same way.

Forkball

I think it's fairly obvious that Dark Pit is a stage hazard. "Dark Pit... you just dropped in to crash my party?" Sounds like he just "drops in" to her level and messes people up. He is also in Palutena's art, which makes me think he is tied to her stage.

If Dark Pit was a character, they could have just announced him right then like with Lucina/Robin. Supposedly all newcomers will have trailers, so it would be strange for them to make a new trailer just for Dark Pit, or insert him into another trailer, when they could have made one big Kid Icarus-themed trailer.

Gilbals

Banned
Just to clarify (and not that this would make it less silly to you or anything), the way the rumor presented it, only one of them are in the car at a time. Since the car does all the fighting, it doesn't matter who's piloting it -- it still handles and performs the same way.

That doesn't matter at all. The clown car is a flying object...like constantly flying more than even Pit. Does it magically sprout legs and arms and fight like some kind of Mech? if that's the case, just give us a solitary Koopa Kid or Bowser Jr...At that point you've destroyed what would be a unique character by relegating them to stasis pod.

Whoops, I meant Shulk, they're all just a boring blur to me.

to be honest, I feel the same way about Shulk despite not having played his game. who knows though? they might have done some incredible things to him to make him stand out as a character. Look what they did to a short boxer.

JoeInky

That doesn't matter at all. The clown car is a flying object...like constantly flying more than even Pit. Does it magically sprout legs and arms and fight like some kind of Mech? if that's the case, just give us a solitary Koopa Kid or Bowser Jr...At that point you've destroyed what would be a unique character by relegating them to stasis pod.

The Koopa Clown Car has Legs and Wheels in different versions of it, it IS a mech.

The whole point is that it's an elegant way of representing one of the classic Mario vehicles and a classic group of villains that have seen a massive increase in representation lately.

to be honest, I feel the same way about Shulk despite not having played his game. who knows though? they might have done some incredible things to him to make him stand out as a character. Look what they did to a short boxer.

Just from a purely visual standpoint I hate his design and how same-y he's going to be compared to the rest of the newcomers. Making him have some unique specials isn't going to make up for how boring his inclusion is going to be, I feel the same way about Palutena and to a lesser extent Rosalina.

Neiteio

An idea for a Koopa Crew/Duck Hunt Dog reveal trailer:

Wario is seen scooping up tons and tons of coins on the Golden Plains stage from the 3DS version (similar to how Rosalina's trailer was set on Rainbow Road, also from the 3DS version). All of the sudden, Wario is interrupted by the Koopa Crew, who burst onto the scene all at once in the CGI part. Cue the in-game footage, where we see different Koopalings piloting the Koopa Clown Car in different scenes. Back to the CGI trailer -- all of the sudden, something shoots the clown car out of the sky! It crash-lands in the familiar Mario bushes. Then out of the bushes pops up Duck Hunt Dog, holding the NES Light Zapper and laughing. Cue in-game footage of Duck Hunt Dog, doing his thing...

I think it's fairly obvious that Dark Pit is a stage hazard. "Dark Pit... you just dropped in to crash my party?" Sounds like he just "drops in" to her level and messes people up. He is also in Palutena's art, which makes me think he is tied to her stage.

If Dark Pit was a character, they could have just announced him right then like with Lucina/Robin. Supposedly all newcomers will have trailers, so it would be strange for them to make a new trailer just for Dark Pit, or insert him into another trailer, when they could have made one big Kid Icarus-themed trailer.
Two possibilities I see. Either:

1) You're right and he's a stage hazard/boss character

2) He's a Lucina-style clone, unlocked in-game and not revealed until post-launch, and Sakurai will later say, "Well he got his own trailer -- sort of. He was teased in Palutena's trailer, after all!"

Hatchtag

Banned
Alright, so let's say by some miracle a Custom Robo rep gets in.
Would you guys prefer it be about the size of Link/Zelda/Samus, which is how it appears to be during gameplay of custom robo, or have it be about the size of Kirby/Pikachu, like it actually is, and how it is in Brawl?
I think having it be bigger would be more natural looking, but having it be smaller would make it really unique.

Gilbals

Banned
The Koopa Clown Car has Legs and Wheels in different versions of it, it IS a mech.

The whole point is that it's an elegant way of representing one of the classic Mario vehicles and a classic group of villains that have seen a massive increase in representation lately.

Not like that. As a person who like 4 posts up practically yawned about Shulk, you're going to defend the most boring of: Boring Mech character. When the character in the Mech would be far more unique and interesting outside of the damned pod?

JoeInky

Also, with all of these NSMB stages shown, it's somewhat surprising that the koopa kids aren't a part of any of them.

Not like that. As a person who like 4 posts up practically yawned about Shulk, you're going to defend the most boring of: Boring Mech character. When the character in the Mech would be far more unique and interesting outside of the damned pod?

Yes, shulk is shit, the Koopa Clown Car is a classic mario design and the koopa kids are classic mario villains, I wouldn't want Bowser Jr. outside of the mech.

If he's outside of the mech then that means there won't be Koopa Kid alts due to size differences, if there aren't koopa kid alts then there's no point to the character for me because bowser jr. is shit.

And how are the Koopa Kids + Bowser jr.'s abilities more interesting than all the stuff the koopa clown car can do anyway?

Makai

I'm a total noob when it comes to programming shortcuts (hell, programming in general) so I don't know how viable it'd be, and if it really wouldn't be too much effort to be worth it for the team.

But hey, if this indeed happens, more power to everyone. Kicking ass as Morton, AKA lone KISS fan on the Mushroom Kingdom, is something too good to pass up.
Would require no effort and would look fine if the models have similar skeletons.

Neiteio

The Koopa Crew would be plenty interesting in the pod. It's a fully-animated robot with changing facial expressions, extendable arms, a propeller, the ability to sprout wheels and legs, etc. It can wield punching gloves, bounce on its propeller, fire Bullet Bills, lob Bob-ombs, unleash Mecha-Koopas and Big Steelies, etc. All while Jr. or the Koopalings act goofy inside. I think that's a fair bit more interesting than spinning around in a shell or firing magic from a wand. I mean, sure, that could work, too, but it's not categorically superior to the pod. The Clown Car has plenty of potential, so I could see it working.

Richie

There's a parallel universe out there where the Captain Falcon reveal trailer was first shown at EVO and I can't imagine it being anything but spectacular.

Ah, if only, my friend. That same universe has Pac-Man's trailer slotted as the final surprise of the Invitational, and man it is ever a treat to the Smash fan's senses.

Ice Climbers won't be cut purely because Sakurais next project will be a Kid Icarus style Ice Climbers update *dreams*

I don't knooow, I think Sakurai would sooner work on someone else's career...

14ZCmHwhp2n0

Neiteio

For the new page -- Weiner Whistle shopped my roster. Please note:

This roster is NOT what I believe will happen. Rather, it's an attempt to reconcile the two leading rumors: Gematsu, with Shulk and Chorus Kids, and the current mod-vouched rumor on Smashboards that adds Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as Lucina-style clones, and Koopa Crew (Bowser Jr. or any of the seven Koopalings, riding the Koopa Clown Car, which is the fighter) and Duck Hunt Dog. While I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out false, I could certainly see it working. See my posts on the previous page for all the reasons why. :)

smashrostercustom_zpstlzr3.png

Hatchtag

Banned
For the new page -- Weiner Whistle shopped my roster:

smashrostercustom_zpstlzr3.png

NOTES:

This roster is not what I believe will happen. Rather, it's an attempt to reconcile the two leading rumors: Gematsu, with Shulk and Chorus Kids, and the current mod-vouched rumor on Smashboards that adds Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as Lucina-style clones, and Koopa Crew (Bowser Jr. or any of the seven Koopalings, riding the Koopa Clown Car, which is the fighter) and Duck Hunt Dog. While I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out false, I could certainly see it working. See my posts on the previous page for all the reasons why. :)

I gotta say, it's really odd seeing Mario get 2 newcomers and a Melee vet, while Pokemon gets only one newcomer and Zelda get nothing. I mean, I'm not someone who believes in slots really mattering for anything, but that just seems to have a weirdly high number of Mario reps compared to Pokemon and Zelda.

Neiteio

I gotta say, it's really odd seeing Mario get 2 newcomers and a Melee vet, while Pokemon gets only one newcomer and Zelda get nothing. I mean, I'm not someone who believes in slots really mattering for anything, but that just seems to have a weirdly high number of Mario reps compared to Pokemon and Zelda.
Yeah, guess it depends on how you look at it. It's certainly appropriate if we're talking proportional to sales, what with Zelda declining and Mario still being the top bread-winner, unless I'm mistaken. Technically, with regards to Pokémon, they're down one Pokémon from Brawl but up one in terms of slots on the character select screen. To be honest, though, I would've squeezed in Mewtwo if it would've worked out evenly with the space available. :)

JoeInky

Just get rid of Shulk, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario and replace them with Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo and I'd be ok if that turned out to be the final roster.

Would be a bit disappointed that certain franchises got as many reps as they did instead of adding more characters from no rep franchises, but at least I'd have the characters I want.

Neiteio

I sent Weiner Whistle a PM requesting a slight edit: I'd like to see an alternate version where Mewtwo is after Jigglypuff on the third row, Chorus Men is after Wii Fit Trainer on the first row, and Dr. Mario is removed (the idea being, what if he were a regular Mario alt instead). This version's not as true to the rumors, but it's more in line with my personal desire to see Mewtwo back, lol.

Hatchtag

Banned
So, how does everyone feel about Roy's chances? I mean, he's basically another Lucina, but then again Lucina got in. It also seems odd that there's a "balanced" version of Marth when there's nothing to balance it between. Plus, Roy was intended for Brawl.
That said, I hear Roy isn't super well-liked by people who are into Fire Emblem, and that most of his popularity comes from him being in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom