• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

So with the talk of female characters, and gender swaps with wii fit trainer and possibly villager and pokemon trainer. . If Pac Man is in, any chance of Ms. Pac Man?
:p

zelda_avatar_1_by_neoriceisgood-d6zg9gi.png
zelda_avatar_2_by_neoriceisgood-d6zg9gk.png

Not sure who called the Zelda avatar, but it has been made.

R0ckman

Don't like Sakurai's habit of keeping older models to escape bringing insanely new light to characters. Obviously SS Zelda would not be able to be shiek and we'd get impa seperate which would be interesting. The games will sell regardless, if somebody doesn't like a new Zelda or doesn't like a few cut characters they'll play the old games. No biggie.

NOPE

1) People like those characters
2) Captain falcon would be removed

What even is this/

Captain Falcon is fine, as he represents a franchise. No more characters though. The more franchises repped the better. People who like those characters can play Brawl and Melee like people with other fighting games do.

Crocodile

Yeah Zelda! I do want to know what the deal is with the Phantom Statue is as soon a possible though. Not interested in having to deal with months of speculation on the subject :/

zelda_avatar_1_by_neoriceisgood-d6zg9gi.png
zelda_avatar_2_by_neoriceisgood-d6zg9gk.png

Not sure who called the Zelda avatar, but it has been made.

How do you make these pixel arts both so fast AND so good? Do you have like a stash of these squirreled away from your prior work that maybe you alter a bit as needed to update them or are you just that good that you can make them of such high quality in such little time? Maybe I'm overestimating how hard these are to actually do?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
4INTSoy.png

"It's great to see so many female characters this time around". That explains eeeeeeeeeeverything....

I really hope that it is a sign of Palutena, Dixie and hopefully Medusa.

A world without SS Zelda in Smash is a world without joy. :(

screen-2.jpg

WHOA HOLY SHIT IT'S THE ARMOR FROM SPIRIT TRACKS

Yeah, I didn't expected to see that today.

Yeah, she look gorgeous. I think Sakurai got the model and color just perfect.

Palutena confirmed.

I hope so

LOL

screen-10.jpg

The 3DS models look great.

Yeah, I agreed with you there. 3DS model look fantastic.

What's with everyone talking about a Palutena confirm btw? Rosalina was the newbie remember? :p

Shush.. At least, don't kill our hope. :(

So, what does everyone here think the Phantom is exactly?

Just to point out, it's most definitely a Phantom from Spirit Tracks that Zelda has taken control of, due to the shield design and pink hue. For reference:

Zelda-possessed Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Phantom Hourglass:

So, what exactly is it? The only possibilities I can think of are...

• The Phantom is an Assist Trophy.
  • The Phantom replaces one of Zelda's Special moves, like Din's Fire.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is gone.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is replaced by Impa, a separate character!
  • The Phantom is actually yet-to-be-revealed Toon Zelda, a new character!
I honestly don't know what to think, lol. It could be an Assist Trophy, I suppose. I doubt that it replaces Din's Fire or Nayru's Love, unless her move set is getting a complete overhaul, which I don't see happening. It could be her new Down Special...but then what happens to Sheik? I could see Impa replacing Sheik...but at the same time, I don't think it's very likely. And I highly doubt that it's actually Toon Zelda as a playable character, lol. We'll find out the truth eventually, I suppose... But whatever the case, one thing's for sure: Sakurai is probably going to drive us all mad by not confirming anything for weeks or even months! lol

or it's new transformation move. It's possible that they might give Zelda a new button for transform, like Taunt button or something else to freeing up down B move.

Could 3DS limitations have resulted in Sheik becoming a separate character? (Same would probably happen to ZSS thankfully)

I doubt it but I hope not.

It's an assist trophy.

She has the same pose in these two screenshots:
screen-9.jpg

screen-2.jpg

That's probably the Din's Fire pose and Sakurai is toying with his characters. And with you.

Yeah, it's more likely. I'm very curious what Phantom would be like. I wonder if it's Toon Zelda being off screen and activated the move.

How do you make these pixel arts both so fast AND so good? Do you have like a stash of these squirreled away from your prior work that maybe you alter a bit as needed to update them or are you just that good that you can make them of such high quality in such little time? Maybe I'm overestimating how hard these are to actually do?

zelda_progress_by_neoriceisgood-d6zgb3f.png

20-25 minutes.

Also, nobody called Zelda so anyone can take those avatars.

I'm kind of hoping Shiek is a separate character this time around, that or the armor knight is a replacement for an a move and not side b. I guess replacing her standard b is okay because I don't think I ever used it.

R0ckman

We got a really healthy amount of females, which is exciting. But why on earth are people going MORE, MORE, MORE!? Man some Smash fans are damn greedy.

We got a really healthy amount of females, which is exciting. But why on earth are people going MORE, MORE, MORE!? Man some Smash fans are damn greedy.
It's not like people want females for the sake of females. We just want the good ones in...like Palutena.

Coreda

Quick community question: is there a Wii U OT? I have some avatar badges I'm thinking of posting but I'm unsure which thread to post in.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

We want more female characters not because they are female. It's more of the fact that fans already saw a lot of potential in those female characters such as Dixie Kong, Palutena, Medusa, Sami and few characters.

Platy

It's an assist trophy.

She has the same pose in these two screenshots:
screen-9.jpg

screen-2.jpg

That's probably the Din's Fire pose and Sakurai is toying with his characters. And with you.

OR the phantom is a new and fast foward special that has a small range. He appears, slashes and disapears.

munchie64

I was certainly not expecting this. Not sure how I feel about using the same design though.

Edit: That said she looks fucking awesome.

Tom_Cody

So, what does everyone here think the Phantom is exactly?

Just to point out, it's most definitely a Phantom from Spirit Tracks that Zelda has taken control of, due to the shield design and pink hue. For reference:

Zelda-possessed Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

ST_Phantom.png

Normal Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Phantom Hourglass:

So, what exactly is it? The only possibilities I can think of are...

• The Phantom is an Assist Trophy.
  • The Phantom replaces one of Zelda's Special moves, like Din's Fire.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is gone.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is replaced by Impa, a separate character!
  • The Phantom is actually yet-to-be-revealed Toon Zelda, a new character!
I honestly don't know what to think, lol. It could be an Assist Trophy, I suppose. I doubt that it replaces Din's Fire or Nayru's Love, unless her move set is getting a complete overhaul, which I don't see happening. It could be her new Down Special...but then what happens to Sheik? I could see Impa replacing Sheik...but at the same time, I don't think it's very likely. And I highly doubt that it's actually Toon Zelda as a playable character, lol. We'll find out the truth eventually, I suppose... But whatever the case, one thing's for sure: Sakurai is probably going to drive us all mad by not confirming anything for weeks or even months! lol
Good job getting all this artwork together. Here is one last of Zelda as a ghost for people who don't get the concept.

I dunno why the conclusion of down b = phantom means impa replaced Shiek as a separate character. Shiek could just be a separate character, or maybe Zelda now transforms via the taunt button.

EhoaVash

very cool how in all the wii u pics the characters have different animations than their regular looks, I don't remember seeing any special animations in the 3DS version.

So if SSB4 has the same amount of newcomers as Brawl, there's still eleven we've yet to see. In terms of what I find most likely, I'd say:

-Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man
-Palutena
-Medusa
-Ghirahim
-Paper Mario representative... Rawk Hawk? Lady Bow? Dimentio? Vivian?
-Mii
-9-Volt
-Dixie kong
-Fucking Kranky Kong
-Little Mac
-Captain Syrup

I arrive at this list based on the fact that namco is contributing to making the game and being able to have a Mario/Sonic/Mega Man/Pac-Man battle seems like a no brainer for selling copies. There was also a sly answer from Sakurai when asked about Pac-Man back at E3.

In addition, Sakurai seems to be making a conscious effort to include more female characters. This is why I feel that, when coupling this with his tradition of throwing in a few obscure/forgotten characters it seems to make Captain Syrup a likely choice.

The inclusion of Dixie comes from the recent renaissance of the DK franchise since DKCR. Dixie may be paired with Diddy this time, I feel.

Paper Mario is yet to have a representative despite having had four successful games full of great characters.

The rest were guessed at based on every first-party newcomer thus far having been created post-2000 and with little regard for if they really make sense as fighters (supposedly the reason Sakurai didn't put Villager in Brawl).

And Little Mac was included because I'm convinced the boxing arena is a Punch-Out stage. Not to mention there's been another Punch-Out game since Brawl released... more than can be said for Captain Falcon or Ness :/

Of course, this could be (probably is) way off. Even the notion that the number of newcomers will be equal to Brawl is an unlikely basis. In addition to that, Captain Syrup as the retro character could easily end up being Takamaru, Mr. Stevenson (Gumshoe), Wart, Sukapon, or Stanley. I went with Captain Syrup simply because she would be an additional female rep which seems to be a recurring theme.

I didn't even bother trying to guess Pokemon, but I do expect Mewtwo to return. Despite missing out on Brawl, though, I would guess he still counts as a veteran.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, Zelda gained the armor from Spirit Tracks. Wonder if it was a change to give her some more physical attacks to balance out all the magic she has. Now to see how long until Shiek's return is revealed.

NeonZ

Then how does she taunt? ;P

Each character had multiple taunts in Brawl. I don't know if that'd be possible though, due to the 3ds. I don't think it has enough slots for multiple taunts.

Paper Mario is yet to have a representative despite having had four successful games full of great characters.

The last Paper Mario moved in the direction of doing away with unique characters though. Including them now would seemingly go against the series' direction.

Also, Captain Syrup and 9 volt? Dixie and Cranky? Palutena and Medusa? You're adding too many characters from the same game. I really doubt series like Wario and Donkey Kong suddenly will get two characters at once. Captain Syrup also doesn't really fit with other retro characters because she's from a series already in the game, and even appeared in a Wii game.

Jaeger

Each character had multiple taunts in Brawl. I don't know if that'd be possible though, due to the 3ds. I don't think it has enough slots for multiple taunts.

Yea I know. I just don't see it being feasible. I'm sure this simply replaces Din's Fire.

Top Bottom