• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
C'mon sakurai! Seperate Zelda from sheik, then replace sheik with Impa! Can't go wrong!

Sakurai should also separate Popo from Nana, then replace Nana with Topi!

Sakurai seems like the type of guy who would reveal Cranky Kong tomorrow for no other purpose than to fulfill this gif:

crankygeuz.gif

And before you ask, no, I would not be willing to avatar bet over it.

Tyeforce

You guys realize that the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" banner is still on the official site, right? Hasn't it always been taken down before a new character was revealed, even in the short time before Sonic and Toon Link? I'd love to have Zelda or another character confirmed tonight, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Well, I'm glad my thought was wrong! I was actually completely expecting a Zelda reveal until I noticed the banner was still there, but I guess it means nothing now!

J@hranimo

Banned
Alright Zelda! Everyone predicted right this time! I gotta say though I was a part of the minority who thought they would use her SS look, but man I'm really glad they didn't, she looks great. Hopefully there's an alt costume for her though.

truthfully it sorta reminds me of this.

Sheik_(Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl).png

That's...exactly what I was thinking. I'm thinking it's a new taunt. I'm actually calling for Sakurai to--

C'mon sakurai! Seperate Zelda from sheik, then replace sheik with Impa! Can't go wrong!
--Pretty much this lol. Impa's basically a seperate sheikah and can have a similar moveset and fill the newcomer space. Zelda on her own would be cool.

Now wait for 1/11.

DDD or Metaknight reveal.
I cannot wait for this. I'm calling DDD before MK though :p

Tyeforce

So, what does everyone here think the Phantom is exactly?

Just to point out, it's most definitely a Phantom from Spirit Tracks that Zelda has taken control of, due to the shield design and pink hue. For reference:

Zelda-possessed Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Phantom Hourglass:

So, what exactly is it? The only possibilities I can think of are...

• The Phantom is an Assist Trophy.
  • The Phantom replaces one of Zelda's Special moves, like Din's Fire.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is gone.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is replaced by Impa, a separate character!
  • The Phantom is actually yet-to-be-revealed Toon Zelda, a new character!
I honestly don't know what to think, lol. It could be an Assist Trophy, I suppose. I doubt that it replaces Din's Fire or Nayru's Love, unless her move set is getting a complete overhaul, which I don't see happening. It could be her new Down Special...but then what happens to Sheik? I could see Impa replacing Sheik...but at the same time, I don't think it's very likely. And I highly doubt that it's actually Toon Zelda as a playable character, lol. We'll find out the truth eventually, I suppose... But whatever the case, one thing's for sure: Sakurai is probably going to drive us all mad by not confirming anything for weeks or even months! lol

Gartooth

Oh no you didn't.
Bowser Jr. has the paintbrush, fire-breathing and the koopa clown car (that's ignoring shadow Mario). Remember he appeared as a boss in 6 mainline Mario games (and 2 RPGs).
Heck if they were lazy he'll be a faster smaller Bowser with sword paintbrush normals.

As for Toad, the only unique SMB2 move he could have is a special for Peach. Unless we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with "What's left in the Mario universe that isn't represented?" there is nothing he can do (unless he's in a kart, in which case the fact that he is Toad doesn't even matter anymore).
I can name two recurring unique moves for Waluigi, who is primarily wanted as a joke character. I can't do the same for Toad.

This is a really old conversation that I don't feel like dredging up so I'll try to be succinct. For Jr. my main beef is the paintbrush which is just nebulous in general and given things like FLUDD, I'm not sure if it would be very fun to see in Smash. Of course he'd have it, but I'd rather see it kept to a minimum and have him utilize the Clown Car and play more Koopaling-esque.

For Toad I wasn't referring to turnips, it was the ability to just carry things around in SMB2 like enemies, POW Blocks, etc. Also I wouldn't want Toad using generic stuff like driving karts either, I was mostly thinking of ways to get power-ups and gameplay mechanics from NSMB + 3D series into Smash and he is the best at doing so if Mario/Luigi/Peach stay static. Also, I'm not going to entertain your line about Waluigi, but if we're "scraping bottom of the barrel" moves/games to represent then Wario's Woods fits the bill. That game emphasized Toad's "power" archetype status from SMB2 by letting him carry and maneuver stacks(yes columns of them) of bombs and enemies. Additionally he had a unique wall-running ability ala mini Mario and had a kick that allowed him to slide enemies/bombs across similar to kicking a Koopa shell. That isn't to say i'd exactly want his move set to be entirely from that one game, but rather he has his own established abilities if they were sought out. (Besides Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina all share/borrow moves in their moveset that could have gone/belong to Mario so its a moot point)

Oh yeah and cool Zelda reveal. Not a fan of keeping the TP design, but I think going with a similar Link made it likely the same would happen to Zelda. That Phantom move will haunt my dreams if it is the hint towards Toon Zelda that I think it is in which case lowered expectations. Also Donkey Kong remains the best character in the daily pics I see!

Kokonoe

Banned
Thank god they didn't use the Skyward Sword one. New avatar get.

also

Sakurai pls fix Lonk's face. Maybe one day he'll look like Link again.

2bbC0I7.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
They look better in the 3DS version honestly. Link's model in the Wii U version looks off for some reason.

Toon Link still looks great which is all that matters though. :)

Yeah, he looks like Link there, even his hair! but Lonk on that Wii U version, man. His face reminds me of Roseanne or something.

Kyzon

If Zelda's Down B is replaced with Phantom I will flip my shit (in a good way)

Her fighting Rosalina would be one of the most epic things ever.

Could 3DS limitations have resulted in Sheik becoming a separate character? (Same would probably happen to ZSS thankfully)

'3DS limitations' shouldn't matter for transformations. There's still only one character actually in play.

Olimar's pikmin count is pretty much the only thing in question afaik.

Zalman

Could 3DS limitations have resulted in Sheik becoming a separate character? (Same would probably happen to ZSS thankfully)
I don't see how 3DS limitations would do that?

I still think Sheik is there. The Phantom would be very strange as an attack. Where would it come from? It's probably just an Assist Trophy.

Gartooth

Yeah it wouldn't make to much sense for Pikmin and Luma to be fine but Sheik a problem. I do think though that Sheik is now a separate character thanks to the Phantom move. (Why would Sakurai show a new AT on Zelda's reveal?) That move makes me dread Toon Zelda. LoZ series stays losing in Smash I guess. :/

Gartooth

Lol no.

Rosalina and Luma works and that's more complex then a transforming character.

True, but it was more of having to load in more characters into RAM at the beginning of a match.

Luma wouldn't be nearly as taxing as Sheik in that regard considering 1 is a full blown character and the other a puppet.

So, what does everyone here think the Phantom is exactly?

Just to point out, it's most definitely a Phantom from Spirit Tracks that Zelda has taken control of, due to the shield design and pink hue. For reference:

Zelda-possessed Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Spirit Tracks:

Normal Phantom from Phantom Hourglass:

So, what exactly is it? The only possibilities I can think of are...

• The Phantom is an Assist Trophy.
  • The Phantom replaces one of Zelda's Special moves, like Din's Fire.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is gone.
  • The Phantom is Zelda's Down Special, and Sheik is replaced by Impa, a separate character!
  • The Phantom is actually yet-to-be-revealed Toon Zelda, a new character!
I honestly don't know what to think, lol. It could be an Assist Trophy, I suppose. I doubt that it replaces Din's Fire or Nayru's Love, unless her move set is getting a complete overhaul, which I don't see happening. It could be her new Down Special...but then what happens to Sheik? I could see Impa replacing Sheik...but at the same time, I don't think it's very likely. And I highly doubt that it's actually Toon Zelda as a playable character, lol. We'll find out the truth eventually, I suppose... But whatever the case, one thing's for sure: Sakurai is probably going to drive us all mad by not confirming anything for weeks or even months! lol

It's an assist trophy.

She has the same pose in these two screenshots:
screen-9.jpg

screen-2.jpg

That's probably the Din's Fire pose and Sakurai is toying with his characters. And with you.

Gartooth

3DS carts are super fast compared to disks, so it can easily be done.

Yeah, the long load between Zelda and Sheik in Brawl was a nuisance. I was questioning if having 4 players all use Zelda/Sheik could essentially result in "8 characters" leading to performance issues but in that case Pokemon Trainer would be screwed.

NeonZ

True, but it was more of having to load in more characters into RAM at the beginning of a match.

That was already a problem in Brawl though. The characters had to be mostly loaded mid-match, which is why there could be variable transformation time, rather than the quick transitions from Melee. I don't see how the 3ds how make things worse there. If they can't fit into the RAM, they'll just be loaded mid match again.

Gartooth

That was already a problem in Brawl though. The characters had to be mostly loaded mid-match, which is why there could be variable transformation time, rather than the quick transitions from Melee. I don't see how the 3ds how make things worse there. If they can't fit into the RAM, they'll just be loaded mid match again.

Having a cart instead of a disc certainly helps there. I just think the Phantom's presence is highly suspect.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It was actually a Wii U limitation that removed Sheik. The slow loading speed meant they could load her data fast enough during transformation. ;)

On a serious note I like that they kept the TP design as it is one of my favourites for Zelda but I'm really pleased to see representation for ST as that's the only Zelda game where Zelda did a lot of fighting.

Top Bottom