• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl |OT| Adventure Runs in the Family - Mondays 8/7c on CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://instagram.com/p/9C33glp6-f/
Ali Adler said:
Warner Brothers water tower has changed for the first time in 88 years!
12135465_147564292264044_223223235_n.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/9C4Lcjp6-6/
Ali Adler said:
Amazing @melissabenoist changing the face of powerful 💪👩❗️
11849338_176359366037677_1282908849_n.jpg

Veelk

Banned
So here are my thoughts on the pilot. Most of it doesn't give any details on the content, which should fit the rules, but let me know if you want the whole thing spoilered anyway.

Okay, so first thing you should know is that I hate Arrow. Flash too, but Arrow is up with some of the worst TV I've ever had the displeasure to witness. This applies to any season you care to name, hell, any episode. They are unequivocally awful. None of hte cast know how to act, and even if they did, the writing doesn't let them. Characters talk like they're not human beings, their abilities often contradict themselves within the same episode, everyone is one dimensional, jokes are painfully unfunny, the pacing is all over the place, they have no idea how to do proper mystique, and the content itself often becomes questionable itself. I hate, hate, hate these shows. I hate them more than AM hates humanity. I've written a lot about why I despise it, and I won't repeat it here, but understand that is how I viewed Supergirl coming in. A show made by essentially the same people? Oh god, another sad bundle of wasted potential.

So I came into the pilot with the lowest of expectations. And Supergirl beat them. I honestly don't know if this is just me being caught offguard or if there is actual potential here. I mean, it's the same team, so...idk, maybe Berlanti managed to find some poor intern that actually knows his shit and is trying to heroically save the show from producers in the background. Or maybe it actually was CW, the network, and I'm selling Berlanti short, and they are now free from their bonds to be able to produce something genuinely adequate instead of hair whiteningly awful. Or maybe this was a miraculous accident of having to do a pilot, and it will crash and burn into a bloated, melodramatic, cringe mess as they try to fill 20 episodes of content.

Because the pilot actually did a lot of stuff. They establish
Kara's origin, show her growing up and deciding to be a hero, the doning of the costume, establishing relationships with her sister, boss, friend, new guy, villain, background information on why there are villains, in addition to the internal drama Kara faces
. Maybe I'm just more forgiving of the CWisms because the Pilot is actually being somewhat ambitious in trying to make a very large amount of narrative work. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if this was them putting their best foot forward.

And there are plenty of CWisms to be found here. Characters unnaturally stating their inner emotions, there is already misblaming (
Kara is blamed for criminals being on her world when she had no idea how or why her pod brought them there
) and stupid outrage (
yes, Kate, be mad that Kara saved you and hundreds of people's lives, goddammit
). I hope they have Kara genuinely being clever instead of what happened (
having tech support give her the answer on how to beat the baddie with plot device power
), but I don't expect it as that's what flash does most episodes.

That said, what suprised me was....acceptable acting. Like, when Supergirl is sad or excited, Melissa Benoist conveys it well enough. And the jokes...They're actually funny somehow! And delivered well! I can tell you that all seasons of Arrow and Flash maybe made me crack a smile a grand total of 6 or 7 times. I'm not exaggerating here, I made sure to count. Flash gave me 3 or 4, maybe 5, Arrow precisely 1 or 2. Here, 5 minutes into the show has Cat Grant: "
I had a board meeting at lunch, so cancel sushi with my mother. Also cancel my therapist, I won't be needing it if I'm not having lunch with my mother.
" That....was actually pretty funny. Like, don't get me wrong, I wasn't going crazy with laughter, but they managed to make me crack a smile more in one episode than either of the other CW shows did in 4 seasons. That was the point where I had to stop for a moment and realize that this might not actually be the pile of crap I had every reason to believe it would be.

Even in terms of Cinematography. Like, again, don't get me wrong. It's not great. But they had the
plane landing sequence. But they added a twist, Kara has to manuever it around a bridge, so she turns it, and we get a shot of the plane wing scraping the bridge's from a ground shot
. Like, it's not great and the CG is awful, but I thought it was a somewhat cool shot.

Look, you have no idea how much this blew my mind. I have certain expectations of CW show and this show definitely has CW blood running in it, but it's by far the most competent take on it that I've seen. Which I admit might not be saying much, but right now, I can't gauge that properly because I'm caught so off guard by it making me not want to stab my eyes out. They can use that as a blurb. Does not make me want to stab out my eyes. Which, believe me, is not just better than I expected, but magnitudes better. It's like expecting to come home to have your house burned down and only to find it's been TP'd. Not great, but you can work that out atleast.

ZeroX03

Banned
Bit strange you decided to compare it to Arrow/Flash though, they're different networks dude.

While I disagree with pretty much everything he said, Supergirl is run by the same creative team as Arrow & Flash so comparisons are probably pretty fair.

Even the director Glen Winter DP'd a bunch of (great) Arrow episodes.

Veelk

Banned
Bit strange you decided to compare it to Arrow/Flash though, they're different networks dude.

Same production team, according to the wikipedia entry. They're all CW vets, so I assumed CBS just said "Do here what you did there." And indeed, I recognize a lot of narrative tendencies in Supergirl that are rife in those shows. The comparison seems reasonable to me.

While I disagree with pretty much everything he said, Supergirl is run by the same creative team as Arrow & Flash so comparisons are probably pretty fair.

So you didn't think the jokes of Supergirl were funny?

diamount

Banned

Even the director Glen Winter DP'd a bunch of (great) Arrow episodes.

I see, never watched the pilot but from the reviews I've read they say it has a lot of NBC related tropes in it.

Here are the descriptions and first images for episode 2 and 3:

DLKEBOC.jpg

"Stronger Together” –
When Kara’s attempts to help National City things don’t go according to plan, she must put aside the doubts that she – and the city’s media – has about her abilities in order to capture an escapee from the Kryptonian prison, Fort Rozz. Also, Cat pressures James to use his connection to Superman to get her an interview with Supergirl, when SUPERGIRL moves to its regular time period, Monday, Nov. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

QlnVSOQ.jpg

"Fight or Flight” –
Supergirl’s powers are tested when Reactron, one of Superman’s formidable enemies, arrives in National City and targets the young hero. Also, Cat plans to run an exposé on Supergirl, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Nov. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Peter Facinelli guest stars as tech entrepreneur Maxwell Lord.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, not to be THAT guy, but she's on the cover of a magazine and they still can't put a face to her??? At least Clark and Superman have a bit different hair styles/posture/mannerisms, but Kara straight up looks the same besides the glasses, haha.

Kinda wish the magazine was as blurry face or she does the "vibrating face all the time thing" so you can't get a clear photo of her.

National City is LA, right?

So here are my thoughts on the pilot. Most of it doesn't give any details on the content, which should fit the rules, but let me know if you want the whole thing spoilered anyway.

Okay, so first thing you should know is that I hate Arrow. Flash too, but Arrow is up with some of the worst TV I've ever had the displeasure to witness. This applies to any season you care to name, hell, any episode. They are unequivocally awful. None of hte cast know how to act, and even if they did, the writing doesn't let them. Characters talk like they're not human beings, their abilities often contradict themselves within the same episode, everyone is one dimensional, jokes are painfully unfunny, the pacing is all over the place, they have no idea how to do proper mystique, and the content itself often becomes questionable itself. I hate, hate, hate these shows. I hate them more than AM hates humanity. I've written a lot about why I despise it, and I won't repeat it here, but understand that is how I viewed Supergirl coming in. A show made by essentially the same people? Oh god, another sad bundle of wasted potential.

So I came into the pilot with the lowest of expectations. And Supergirl beat them. I honestly don't know if this is just me being caught offguard or if there is actual potential here. I mean, it's the same team, so...idk, maybe Berlanti managed to find some poor intern that actually knows his shit and is trying to heroically save the show from producers in the background. Or maybe it actually was CW, the network, and I'm selling Berlanti short, and they are now free from their bonds to be able to produce something genuinely adequate instead of hair whiteningly awful. Or maybe this was a miraculous accident of having to do a pilot, and it will crash and burn into a bloated, melodramatic, cringe mess as they try to fill 20 episodes of content.

Kara's origin, show her growing up and deciding to be a hero, the doning of the costume, establishing relationships with her sister, boss, friend, new guy, villain, background information on why there are villains, in addition to the internal drama Kara faces
. Maybe I'm just more forgiving of the CWisms because the Pilot is actually being somewhat ambitious in trying to make a very large amount of narrative work. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if this was them putting their best foot forward.

And there are plenty of CWisms to be found here. Characters unnaturally stating their inner emotions, there is already misblaming (
Kara is blamed for criminals being on her world when she had no idea how or why her pod brought them there
) and stupid outrage (
having tech support give her the answer on how to beat the baddie with plot device power

That said, what suprised me was....acceptable acting. Like, when Supergirl is sad or excited, Melissa Benoist conveys it well enough. And the jokes...They're actually funny somehow! And delivered well! I can tell you that all seasons of Arrow and Flash maybe made me crack a smile a grand total of 6 or 7 times. I'm not exaggerating here, I made sure to count. Flash gave me 3 or 4, maybe 5, Arrow precisely 1 or 2. Here, 5 minutes into the show has Cat Grant: "
I had a board meeting at lunch, so cancel sushi with my mother. Also cancel my therapist, I won't be needing it if I'm not having lunch with my mother.
" That....was actually pretty funny. Like, don't get me wrong, I wasn't going crazy with laughter, but they managed to make me crack a smile more in one episode than either of the other CW shows did in 4 seasons. That was the point where I had to stop for a moment and realize that this might not actually be the pile of crap I had every reason to believe it would be.

Even in terms of Cinematography. Like, again, don't get me wrong. It's not great. But they had the
plane landing sequence. But they added a twist, Kara has to manuever it around a bridge, so she turns it, and we get a shot of the plane wing scraping the bridge's from a ground shot
. Like, it's not great and the CG is awful, but I thought it was a somewhat cool shot.

Look, you have no idea how much this blew my mind. I have certain expectations of CW show and this show definitely has CW blood running in it, but it's by far the most competent take on it that I've seen. Which I admit might not be saying much, but right now, I can't gauge that properly because I'm caught so off guard by it making me not want to stab my eyes out. They can use that as a blurb. Does not make me want to stab out my eyes. Which, believe me, is not just better than I expected, but magnitudes better. It's like expecting to come home to have your house burned down and only to find it's been TP'd. Not great, but you can work that out atleast.

tumblr_nou7rriQN01up42jgo5_500.gif

Finaika

Ok, not to be THAT guy, but she's on the cover of a magazine and they still can't put a face to her??? At least Clark and Superman have a bit different hair styles/posture/mannerisms, but Kara straight up looks the same besides the glasses, haha.

Kinda wish the magazine was as blurry face or she does the "vibrating face all the time thing" so you can't get a clear photo of her.

They look totally different.

Green colored dress, different hairstyle and glasses.

Not sure what's this supposed to mean lol.

Veelk

Banned
Not sure what's this supposed to mean lol.

NTGYK is the perpetual idealist when it comes to me, hoping that I like each new season of whatever he wants me to watch. He meant it to say that I'm diving into it.

A better image for him to post would have been

lloyd.png

xandaca

I've been wondering about this. I was/am worried how much they're going to pander to "this is a show for women, you GOTTA have xyz in it, because women" kinda mentality.

Like most shows, they tend to wear their themes on their sleeve chest for the first 13 episodes or season or whatever and then settles into using them more naturally. It'll work itself into a more cohesive product if given the time.

I'm not complaining about girl power themes being there, but rather having characters say those things and then, for instance, have the camera lingering below the hemline of Supergirl's skirt, or
Kara needing the approval of a dismissive male 'superior' before resuming her heroics.
It's great that the show wants to inspire young girls, my issue is that, in the pilot at least, the big statements aren't backed up in the storytelling.

And the jokes...They're actually funny somehow! And delivered well! I can tell you that all seasons of Arrow and Flash maybe made me crack a smile a grand total of 6 or 7 times. I'm not exaggerating here, I made sure to count. Flash gave me 3 or 4, maybe 5, Arrow precisely 1 or 2. Here, 5 minutes into the show has Cat Grant: "

Sorry, that joke is not funny at all.

Sounds like this is a "Proceed with Caution" situation given how overwhelmingly bad the user reviews are on Metacritic.

Ricker

The part she falls of the building was spoiled on Ellen Yesterday lol...

Anyway,I liked the pilot,I will keep watching...I am sure they wont be able to keep the quality of the CG as high as the premiere but they cant be worst then some of the Flash or even some(not all obviously,theres some great CG in GoT) of the GoT ones(remember that dragon flight out of the burning arena guys, lol).

) and stupid outrage (

I agree on a lot of this,well said...I enjoyed the CG more then you though ;)

Okay, so first thing you should know is that I hate Arrow. Flash too, but Arrow is up with some of the worst TV I've ever had the displeasure to witness. This applies to any season you care to name, hell, any episode. They are unequivocally awful.

How many episodes did you watch of each to come to these conclusions?

Finaika

I was pretty meh with Arrow at first, but it picked up steam halfway through the first season.

Can't wait to see season 2.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So would you guys recommend this show for someone (me) that hates Flash and Arrow?

edit: Ah just read some posts above, looks like the pilot is worth a try.

Veelk

Banned
So would you guys recommend this show for someone (me) that hates Flash and Arrow?

Yeah, but keep in mind that this is the pilot, which are always different than what shows become as a whole, and it has a lot of CWisms that make me hate Flash and Arrow. My mostly positive review is due to my shock that it wasn't AS bad as Flash and Arrow, but still very questionable.

I say that every show deserves a chance to impress, so yeah, give it a shot, but approach with caution.

Kyoufu

If you hate Arrow and Flash that means you aren't a fan of good comic book TV shows, therefore I wholeheartedly recommend Supergirl to you because the pilot was terrible. Enjoy!

Volimar

I'd be pretty happy if people that don't like the pilot just tune out. Get pretty sick of the hate watching posts in the Arrow, and increasingly, Flash threads.

Rooster12

If it's by the creators of Arrow/Flash then we know that the start of the season will be rocky, and it will get crazy good around episode 15 or so.

Yeah, but keep in mind that this is the pilot, which are always different than what shows become as a whole, and it has a lot of CWisms that make me hate Flash and Arrow. My mostly positive review is due to my shock that it wasn't AS bad as Flash and Arrow, but still very questionable.

I say that every show deserves a chance to impress, so yeah, give it a shot, but approach with caution.

I always thought Arrow and The 100 had the least CWism symptoms on the network.

Flash has them, but Flash is so much better than Arrow at this point I'm not even bothered by it.

To be honest I think those shows are better than other shows like Walking Dead which obviously has better acting and less cheese, but so what...I think Walking Dead is just awful as a whole.

Griegite

still a junior
Melissa is going to be on Colbert Monday. I hope he reminds her that he used to be a mild mannered reporter. I miss the Report.

karasu

Why give a shit? It's just that way because these things started out as stories for children. There is no logical explanation to be had.

Veelk

Banned
But for serious y'all it has nothing to do with her being a woman. It's a totally bad show. For serious.

No reason it can't be both. Most of sexism is unaware. You can totally think you're judging a TV show by it's merits, but still be harsher than if it were a male lead.

Supergirl has it's flaws, but nothing that Arrow and Flash don't have in spades, even today. If they can thrive, so can this show.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wait, people hate the show?

It didn't wow me but I thought it was decent enough from what I saw. I'll still be watching.

Leaked commercial for episode 2: http://www.supergirl.tv/new-supergirl-today-promo

It's short (15 seconds), and it focuses on the critical reception of the show, so it doesn't really tell you anything about the episode. It's mostly a bunch of shots of her flying, many with quotes from critics all over them. I'm really curious as to how these commercials leak. This one is for November 2nd. I've seen some leak like a month ago that are supposed to air on Saturday.

Here's some gifs I made of the few shots without quotes all over them.

tumblr_nwlfjh1Bna1ufsf3go1_500.gif

tumblr_nwlfjh1Bna1ufsf3go2_500.gif

tumblr_nwlfjh1Bna1ufsf3go3_500.gif

Magwik

Banned
Leaked commercial for episode 2: http://www.supergirl.tv/new-supergirl-today-promo

It's short (15 seconds), and it focuses on the critical reception of the show, so it doesn't really tell you anything about the episode. It's mostly a bunch of shots of her flying, many with quotes from critics all over them. I'm really curious as to how these commercials leak. This one is for November 2nd. I've seen some leak like a month ago that are supposed to air on Saturday.

Here's some gifs I made of the few shots without quotes all over them.

tumblr_nwlfjh1Bna1ufsf3go1_500.gif

tumblr_nwlfjh1Bna1ufsf3go2_500.gif

tumblr_nwlfjh1Bna1ufsf3go3_500.gif
Yep, she's still perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom