• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro controller takes the throne for me in terms of controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO_Andy

List of must-haves for a d-Pad:
1) Is it a single piece, or multiple buttons. If single piece...
2) Can I throw hadukens and dragon punches?

If no to either one, go back to start. I worry a bit w/this one on #2...
I can pull fireballs and dragon punches with 100% accuracy on the Pro Con. I left my impressions of it in the other thread --

Holy smokes! The Pro Con dpad is bloody amazing for Street Fighter! Ran the arcade version of Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting on an emulator (since the earlier games were unforgiving in terms of input leniency) and i'm pulling off Zangief's SPD (the hardest motion in the game) with absolute ease. Of the countless dpads i have tried in my lifetime only one has been able to do this consistently (the Xbox S-Type dpad).

Honestly fantastic controller, I love it as much as the XB1 controller! Just feels great and I actually prefer it's slightly more resistant sticks compared to the XB1 sticks which is a bit looser than I like. Only nitpicks from is that the screenshot and Home buttons positions are kinda awkward for me (I blame it on being too used to the Share button on the DS4 and The Guide button on the XB1 controller). Will probably get used to it in time but I do I think the screenshot button is a little too flat....if it was slightly more raised, it would be perfect! Also dat battery life........DS4 battery is such a damn shame compared to the Pro and XB1 controllers. I'm doing 4-6 hour sessions on Zelda and the charge hasn't even gone down much(got it Monday and still haven't even charged it!) and I can barely go 3-4 hours on the DS4!

It's not as comfy as the Dualshock 4 or the Switch Pro.

Plus I don't like the bottoms of the controller having such a sharp point, just a nitpick.

I'm gonna have to strongly disagree. Going by most lists in here it's one of the top controllers.

The pro is a strong contender for the PS4 controllers spot though

D.Lo

Everyone was in such a rush to go "Kids these days" they completely forgot about the Sega button layout which the Xbox layout is a direct continuation of.

3098738963_f355cd94b5.jpg
Sorry mate, no, you don't get to be clever by pointing this out. Nobody forgot. The point is that someone calling Nintendo's button layout 'the wrong way around' is referring to a 'correct' layout that is not as old, not as popular and not as ubiquitous. XY/BA is 27 years old and an evolution of the BA set-up which is 34 years old.

Nintendo's BA button naming legacy goes back to 1983
latest

Every single Nintendo console or handheld has BA in that format (including the classic controller for the Wii, and even the Wii Remote in a sense since A is the main and B the secondary). BA in that order is by far the most common layout in gaming history, it's on the controllers of 700 million consoles. Second is Sony's shape motif.

Sega's buttons from 1983 to 1988 were named 1 and 2, they went with ABC in 1988 for the Mega Drive after the Famicom's, and when adding the six button controller much later (1993) they even shamelessly stole the 'separate set' XY motif from Nintendo's 1990 Super Famicom with XYZ.

ShinAmano

Xbox One Elite controller is still the king but the Switch Pro Controller is an exceptional piece of work. After playing 10 or so hours of Zelda on the Joycons, switching to the Pro was like coming home. Fantastic controller.
Could be that the joycons are just complete garbage that literally anything is better than.

Mafro

It's definitely the most comfortable controller I've ever used, fits into the hand just perfectly. D-pad is great and the bumper buttons are nice and clicky. The crazy battery life alone makes it better than the PS4 and XB1 pads, it was just over a week before I received the first low battery warning and had to charge it.

Kovacs

Let's get this out the way first - this generation of 1st party controllers is the best that there has ever been and there really isn't a weak link amongst them. Unlike last generation where I absolutely hated using the DS3 (nearly everything) and the Wii U Gamepad (width, thumbstick placement, trigger depth/feel).

I'm lucky enough to have each of them and after playing personal preference is

DS4
Xbox 1
Switch Pro
Joycons (when attached fixes all that was wrong with the Gamepad)

I've not used an Elite so have no comment.

I actually find the Xbox 1 more pleasing ergonomically but it's marginal and the extra functionality of the DS4 with the touchpad and the speaker just give it that edge when being used.

I do have a couple of issues with Pro-controller.
1. Home and screenshot buttons button. They simply don't fall naturally under my fingers and it always feels like I'm groping for them, unlike with the DS4.

2. Digital rather than analogue triggers. Pretty much kills the platform for racers for me outside of Kart racers. Anyone who believe it makes no difference should try any of the Vita MotoGP versions in comparison with the PS4/360 etc. Pretty much impossible to control with any finesse at all.

3. The charging. The battery life is brilliant, however yesterday I'd left the Pro controller on charge all day using it's own cable but a 3rd party USB charger (one that has been happily playing & charging the Switch itself all week when away from the dock). A few minutes into playing last night I got the battery low warning. After a bit of investigation I found that it would only charge using one of the USB's on the dock. It simply wouldn't acknowledge a charge from any other power source. That's inconvenient at best.

Without trying to inflame passions, I'd love to know of the people who now rate the Pro as the GOAT how many of them have been using exclusively Nintendo controllers before this? Is it a similar situation to the start of this gen where people who only used DS3's would proclaim it to be the GOAT and then after using a DS4 realised it actually wasn't all that great? I ask because in my opinion the Pro Controller is so much better than anything I've used from Nintendo before that if I'd not experienced the other controllers this gen, I'd likely reach the same conclusion.

Flintty

It is a great controller but the Xbox One standard is thill the best of all for me, easy (I haven't tried the elite). The real challenge is identifying which Dual Shock is the worst - I don't think I've ever tried a good one.

mindsale

It's fine, on par with One S, on which I prefer the rounded buttons.

I'm more partial to parallel analog sticks though than offset ones. I like an ergonomic resting position that's better suited to multiple genres.

sphinx

the piano man
damn people in the first page,

what the hell are you doing with your DS4 that everything's breaking?? I've been using my first and only controller for 2 years and a half and everything's working like the day I unboxed the console.

maybe take it easy playing those competitive MP games?? (lol, just joking)

Deepo

Xbone Elite is still king for me (mainly because of the paddles), but the Switch Pro controller is a fantastic controller.

It's good and I'm glad I got it, so much better than the Wii U Pro. But no analog triggers ruin it for me to be honest. Still Xbox One controller for versatility.

CrayToes

XB1 Elite still holds the throne for me but my god does the Switch Pro controller feel good. It fits in my hands so comfortably. It's such a damn shame Nintendo didn't opt for analogue triggers.

EvB

XBO Elite lacks HD rumble... and yeah, it's that significant. Amazing tech.

Much like the Xbox's impulse triggers, it's only great tech when anybody bothers to program effects for it.

I rarely see the Taptic Engine stuff used in iPhone 6S/7 Either, which is the exact same technology as HD rumble.

Back on track though, the Switch Pro Controller is great, the the lack of analogue significantly hampers it's use.

nOoblet16

xbox one elite controller > all controllers
Yea it's not even a competition. Elite controller is so far above others in build quality, analogue/trigger/button sensitivity, grip, comfort and modifications that nothing short of a high end SCUF mod comes close.

I used to hear great things about WiiU pro controller as well, until I used it. It's the most plastics, cheap feeling controller I've used in recent years...Worse than even first batch of Xbox One controllers which were creeky as shit and had those pivot bumpers.

nOoblet16

tenor.gif

XBO Elite lacks HD rumble... and yeah, it's that significant. Amazing tech.
But it has absolutely amazing build quality and customisation. I'll take that over HAD rumble considering I turn off rumble for every game regardless of how great it can be. I hate feeling like I have pins and needles when I'm just trying to play a game.

We are definitely in controller heaven this generation

WiiU Pro, 360 and PS3 were solid before

DS4, XB1 and Switch Pro are next level shit

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Lots of people complaining about DS4 battery life which is weird.
yeah totally weird that everyone - even people who like the DS4 - complain about the battery life

maybe they have standards set by every other controller on the planet

daxy

Have to agree. Previously my favorite controller was the XBO's. Really like the stiffness of the sticks on the Switch Pro controller and it improves on the trash D-pad of the XBO's. Kind of hard to go back to the Joycons after that. I also really love what the grips are coated with. Feels really good. The weight of the controller is also nice and substantial. I haven't had much experience with the PS4's controller but from the time I spent with it I didn't really like it that much. The stick placement is just all wrong for me and the sticks themselves didn't feel that great.

Glass

Not tried an elite controller, but yeah as an XB1 owner, I prefer my Switch pro. My friend bought a Switch and Zelda but not this controller, I bought him a pro as an early birthday present so he wouldn't miss out of the experience of Zelda with this thing.

Why do people not like offset sticks? I feel like it's way mor comfortable. I hate the way the dual shock feels with its two tiny sticks crammed in the middle.

EvB

Why do people not like offset sticks? I feel like it's way mor comfortable. I hate the way the dual shock feels with its two tiny sticks crammed in the middle.

I think most sane people do prefer that.
The sticks were never intended to be put down there, they are only there because they started off life as an optional afterthought, but have now become an aesthetic part of one console's look

Arkam

All this priase of teh Pro controller is going to push me over the edge to get one. Not gonna lie, I was inthe skeptic boat on the controller based on 1 or 2 ealry impressions... but after hearing dozens of hands on experiences I am becoming a believer.

Plus teh idea of leaving Joycons on the switch when docking seems nice.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think I would agree. Xbox One was the champ but I've had so many fucking disconnections on Xbox One that are ten times more common for me on PC; I'm sick of it. I can't even get through an hour of PC gaming without the Xbone controller losing connection 3-4 times. And this is with a USB cable.

Thinking of switching to my Switch Pro for PC.

Mihos

Gold Member
xbox one elite controller > all controllers

This.

Genesis 6 button is second, shield controller 3rd.

I honestly like the WiiU poro and gamepad better than the Switch pro. It is a decent controller, but it doesn't even make my top 5.

daxy

I think I would agree. Xbox One was the champ but I've had so many fucking disconnections on Xbox One that are ten times more common for me on PC; I'm sick of it. I can't even get through an hour of PC gaming without the Xbone controller losing connection 3-4 times. And this is with a USB cable.

Thinking of switching to my Switch Pro for PC.

That's wild. I've never had a single connection issue with mine, wired or wireless.

Like someone else said on an earlier page. Most people saying the Xbox one pro controller, you're comparing a $150.00 controller to a $40-$60 PS4 controller and a $70.00 Nintendo controller. Not really a legit comparison.

Rodin

Agreed, best controller i've ever used. It's just too comfortable, has some neat features and that battery life is still going after a week with Zelda.

daxy

To add to the button placement debate: I feel like Nintendo got it wrong with the XY placement (even if they did it first, whatever). It makes no sense to have the X on top. It's widely taken for granted that the X axis is the horizontal axis, and the Y axis is the vertical one. Therefore, Y goes on top and X on the left or right. SEGA/Xbox got it right by also putting the B button on the right as it typically functions as a cancel/return button and, intuitively, requires you to move your thumb to the edge of the controller, away from all the other inputs.

damn people in the first page,

what the hell are you doing with your DS4 that everything's breaking?? I've been using my first and only controller for 2 years and a half and everything's working like the day I unboxed the console.

maybe take it easy playing those competitive MP games?? (lol, just joking)

I went through 3 broken controllers before I figured out what was going on.

The thing is NOT designed for keeping the controller hooked up to the console for charging while playing. You don't have to be particularly rough with it, the port is just terribly designed and will fray to the point of not accepting a miniUSB cable in about six months. Once I stopped that I haven't had any problems.

Sorry mate, no, you don't get to be clever by pointing this out. Nobody forgot. The point is that someone calling Nintendo's button layout 'the wrong way around' is referring to a 'correct' layout that is not as old, not as popular and not as ubiquitous. XY/BA is 27 years old and an evolution of the BA set-up which is 34 years old.

Nintendo's BA button naming legacy goes back to 1983
latest

Every single Nintendo console or handheld has BA in that format (including the classic controller for the Wii, and even the Wii Remote in a sense since A is the main and B the secondary). BA in that order is by far the most common layout in gaming history, it's on the controllers of 700 million consoles. Second is Sony's shape motif.

Sega's buttons from 1983 to 1988 were named 1 and 2, they went with ABC in 1988 for the Mega Drive after the Famicom's, and when adding the six button controller much later (1993) they even shamelessly stole the 'separate set' XY motif from Nintendo's 1990 Super Famicom with XYZ.

N64 and GCN had A/confirm on bottom. I started gaming heavily with N64..not going to lie, I still can't adjust to Nintendo going back to the SNES days with the Wii and on. I will forever (at least right now) think A/confirm is on the bottom because of how much I played the N64, GCN, Xbox, and 360.

And yes I do know N64 and GCN still had the BA format, but the button location was made such that A was the 'main' button on the bottom (bottom of diamond is always considered the main button nowadays). Having B (generally back or cancel) on bottom throws me for a huge loops even if it is what Nintendo did historically with the SNES. A is still confirm for Nintendo so having it off to the side feels odd to me when I instinctively think of the bottom of the 'diamond' as confirm (N64, GCN, Xbox with A, PS with X, etc).

To ease transition between different button layouts I don't think of the letters as much honestly. I basically have it engrained in me that the bottom of the diamond is confirm, and the left of the diamond is cancel. That's basically how it was for every home console (including Nintendo) from 1996-2006 before the Wii. Thinking of the right of the diamond as confirm and bottom of diamond as cancel..is just odd. I think I could actually get used to B being on the bottom if they made it the confirm action and not the cancel.

Even casual gamers that I grew up with who played a ton of N64 at parties always lean towards pressing the bottom of the diamond when I tell them to go to the next screen..which now ends up going back or cancelling instead of confirming.

Long drawn out post but I hope that adds some perspective to why someone might say Nintendo's scheme is currently 'wrong' even if it was what they used historically with the popular SNES. It really depends on when they grew up and what Nintendo system they started gaming on..

VRMN

Uhhh.... lol...

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure Mega Drive/Genesis was first with its "A is closest to the center." Dreamcast did the same thing, but cut out Z/C. Xbox took the Dreamcast layout, probably at least in part because early on it was a possibility Xbox would support Dreamcast games.

Outrun

Yea it's not even a competition. Elite controller is so far above others in build quality, analogue/trigger/button sensitivity, grip, comfort and modifications that nothing short of a high end SCUF mod comes close.

I used to hear great things about WiiU pro controller as well, until I used it. It's the most plastics, cheap feeling controller I've used in recent years...Worse than even first batch of Xbox One controllers which were creeky as shit and had those pivot bumpers.

I have a scuf also, and it ain't even close to the Elite.

If they add a headphone jack and triggers on the Pro later it'll truly be a beauty. Hoping they do something other than release new GC controllers for GC VC if it happens. A new Pro would work well with GC VC release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom