• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro controller takes the throne for me in terms of controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

DS4 is not a good controller, I don't understand why Sony can't get this part right. It's always a slightly worse experience playing with it.

The Xbox one and Switch Pro are about equal for me but both are great and a large amount better than the DS4.

Les

Banned
Still prefer my Xbox Elite Controller. Major downside of the pro is definitely the triggers, don't sink deep enough for my liking.

BlakeofT

Yeah well the Switch Pro's Start/Select and system buttons are level with the face as well in any case, so neither is exactly any better by that metric.
That's a shame. I don't have a pro controller so I didn't know this. I'm hoping that it's at least as easy to press as DS4's options. While I dislike that button, it's still leagues better than Vita's start and select. DS4 options and Switch pro start, etc are at least large.

DavidDesu

Triggers and no headphone jack ruin it for me

Yeah if it had these features, especially the headphone jack, I'd have bought already. Since the only headphones solution so far is to connect my headphones to the Switch, or through my TV (since Switch volume is so low), I'd have preferred this solution.

I love my racing games so no analog immediately discounts me buying any real racing games for the Switch, which would have been nice for portable racaing games, but then I don't expect to see a Project Cars or whatever ever gracing the Switch, but no analog will still impact other potential future games and Gamecube VC games! Why Nintendo why?! The Joycons even jut out from the system and look like they should be and could be analog... dumb move.

AzerPhire

Yeah if it had these features, especially the headphone jack, I'd have bought already. Since the only headphones solution so far is to connect my headphones to the Switch, or through my TV (since Switch volume is so low), I'd have preferred this solution.

I love my racing games so no analog immediately discounts me buying any real racing games for the Switch, which would have been nice for portable racaing games, but then I don't expect to see a Project Cars or whatever ever gracing the Switch, but no analog will still impact other potential future games and Gamecube VC games! Why Nintendo why?! The Joycons even jut out from the system and look like they should be and could be analog... dumb move.

Exactly, its a nice controller but the XB1 is still the king. They came close with the Pro but those 2 things automatically take it out of the running.

The Dude

I never used headphones once, never knew that was such a thing for people.. I have a room dedicated to gaming with a huge 7.1 SS Denon setup, I can't remember the last time i ever even put a pair of headphones on

buttdiver

I never used headphones once, never knew that was such a thing for people.. I have a room dedicated to gaming with a huge 7.1 SS Denon setup, I can't remember the last time i ever even put a pair of headphones on

You never knew most people don't have large, expensive sounds setups?

Gitaroo

Switch pro controller feels like bad xbox one controller, grips are not as good, buttons are flat and triggers sucks big time.

lol

I think that tabletop mode makes it a necessity since Nintendo thought adding Bluetooth but not adding support for Bluetooth headsets makes perfect sense.

So, of course, they don't add a headphone jack into the Pro controller because that would make sense too.

Big oversight. Great controller otherwise other than the unnecessary space between the shoulder buttons and shoulder triggers.

molnizzle

I use headphones sometimes but they're fancy wireless headphones that plug into the optical out of my TV so every device works with them.

I think that tabletop mode makes it a necessity since Nintendo thought adding Bluetooth but not adding support for Bluetooth headsets makes perfect sense.

Try reading reports of people who use Bluetooth headsets + a Bluetooth gamepad with the Shield tablet. It ain't pretty. Since both joy-cons connect via Bluetooth even when connected to the tablet the interference is likely too high. I wouldn't expect Bluetooth headset support ever, frankly.

The Dude

lol

So, of course, they don't add a headphone jack into the Pro controller because that would make sense too.

Big oversight. Great controller otherwise other than the unnecessary space between the shoulder buttons and shoulder triggers.

It's just conversation, I'm simply saying I didn't realize how many put stock into headphones. I personally never used them ever.. Just conversation bro.

I figured with most people buying larger tvs for their setups that most will buy some form of sound setups as well, just a casual thought.

molnizzle

It's just conversation, I'm simply saying I didn't realize how many put stock into headphones. I personally never used them ever.. Just conversation bro.

I figured with most people buying larger tvs for their setups that most will buy some form of sound setups as well, just a casual thought.

Not everyone lives alone. Sometimes I gotta put the headset on if it's late and my wife is trying to sleep. Some people have kids who take naps. etc.

Haunted

Don't really care for a jack on the controller, but bluetooth headphone support would've been nice to have for a portable.

That said, I'll have to wait until the pro controller isn't so obscenely expensive before there's any chance of me picking one up to try it.

The Dude

Not everyone lives alone. Sometimes I gotta put the headset on if it's late and my wife is trying to sleep. Some people have kids who take naps. etc.

Again I'm not trying to dissect everyone's life, I'm saying I just never put much thought to those who need headphones that much.

I speak from my own personal setup is all, I can't crank it when my wife is sleeping though either but Its all in a game room so I can typically have volume at a minimal level to where it's still enjoyable.

Again that's fine if people use headphones, Im not condemning them or anything.

It sort of reminds me a bit of the mechanical keyboard situation.. I been Pc gaming since mod 80s, built machines since the 90s, been in basically all the MMOs that came our way and have always been In the upper echelon of characters for the most part, Pc gaming is my main platform... Ill spend 700 to 1000 on gpus, but I still have really no interest in mechanical keyboard or the need to move Keys around etc... I've done everything on Pc with basic keyboards. It's sort of like the elite controller, all those fancy options I don't see myself using. The xbox one S controller I've used on Pc just fine and it works, there's nothing more I could need from a controller at this point.. It's all about comfort In my hand when using it.

So you have to expensive peripherals that just don't feel worth it to me when I look at what I can do. It's not like Im gaming and I'm hindered.

Now its not to say I won't eventually try to find even a used one around 80 or 90 just to see what the hoopla is, but there's nothing that is drawing me to it.. It as I said reminds me of the way people go on about mechanical keyboards, I personally just don't feel that must own feel.
You can find awesome mechanical keyboards for 80 new and less if second hand, for typing they are the absolute best, but cherry seitches are the same at 8 and at 200 bucks, and the expensive ones are ridden by useless fluff. (Lights, weird macro keys, etc)
About headphones, there are plenty of situations where you can't have speakers. (Non soundproof apartments, dorms, a bus, if you travel a lot for whatever reason...)
On the topic, to the people complaining about symmetric or asymmetric ir whatever... Do you really notice after 5 minutes? I don't tbh, all controllers are fine by me, though so far my favs are Xbox One and for some reason Wii Classic Pro.

NimbusD

Eh I have problems with it. The face buttons feel like they're too far to the right (so much face space and if I'm pressing r and a at the same time, my thumb is like clenched against the side of my hand). Weak rumble (should really have 2 motors to mimic two joycons in a grip). home and share button placement and feel are way too similar to + and - buttons. The joysticks feel comically large, though maybe thats just cuz Im switching back and forth between the joycons and this. Pressing right on the dpad in zelda keeps registering as up instead. No analog triggers feels really weird if nothing else.

I mean I still like it, just not in love with it like some people are.

Also, more of a switch thing, but you cant wake the switch while in docked mode with the controller, that's really annoying especially coming from wii u where I was able to controlle verything from one controller (the hdmi instant turn on is nice tho, at least I only have to press one button when I get up I guess).

The Dude

You can find awesome mechanical keyboards for 80 new and less if second hand, for typing they are the absolute best, but cherry seitches are the same at 8 and at 200 bucks, and the expensive ones are ridden by useless fluff. (Lights, weird macro keys, etc)
About headphones, there are plenty of situations where you can't have speakers. (Non soundproof apartments, dorms, a bus, if you travel a lot for whatever reason...)

Yea, like I said never put much thought to it really.

And I will eventually try one, just wish I had a more compelling reason to snag one. When in on my Pc I simply never feel I was hindered by the boards I bought

I think my biggest problem bar the lack of analog triggers is, it feels too thin. It should be wider.

Xbox controllers are great. But DS4 and WiiU/Switch Pro controllers are just as good with actually decent dpads.
What's horribly wring with the Xbox One Bluetooth controllers d pad?

Xbox controllers are great. But DS4 and WiiU/Switch Pro controllers are just as good with actually decent dpads.

None of those controllers you mentioned are just as good as the Elite controller, though.

I don't think I'd ever put the DS4 on the same level as some of these other controllers. Not XBO, not Switch Pro. Maybe Wii U Pro, but even that's a tough choice that I'd only give to the DS4 thanks to its flawless Steam integration. The build quality is noticeably worse, and all of the focus designing the Dual Shocks seem to go into function, and recently aesthetics, because ergonomics certainly ain't a major concern

The Dude

No headset is gonna shake the room like my Denon when I'm able to just go guns a blazing, I'll take that all day every day. But that's another topic.

In any case Yea for those who need a jack that's a shame the pro didn't include one.

Crayon

What do people hate about dual shocks anyhow? The dpads are good. The buttons are good. The sticks are good. Is it the small size?

FSLink

Banned
What do people hate about dual shocks anyhow? The dpads are good. The buttons are good. The sticks are good. Is it the small size?

DS4 has shitty battery life, and honestly the touchpad isn't really used much to great effect. Doesn't seem worth the trade-off. Headphone port is nice but isn't really good quality, getting an additional amp attached to it is kinda wonky.

Those are pretty minor though, I like the DS4. But it is kinda disappointing when the DS3 was basically perfect.

yyr

The reasons I've always liked the Xbox design more than Dual Shock:

1) The placement of the left stick is closer to LB/LT than on Sony's offerings. When I'm using both the left stick and L1/L2 on a DualShock for an extended period of time, my hand will start to get tired.
2) Xbox's thumbsticks offer more resistance than the DualShock sticks, which I prefer. I also prefer the concave surfaces rather than Sony's convex, as I can just sink my thumb in there and go nuts. I feel like I have better control.

These reasons are subjective, of course. I prefer things this way but not everyone does.

Also, let's get one thing straight, the Sony pre-DS4 D-pads were NOT good, at least not the way that I use D-pads during action games. My poor thumb did not like being dug into by those sharp angles all the time as I slid it from one direction to another. Not that the 360 D-pad was any good either; that had about the same level of precision as a sledgehammer. Both the DS4 and XB1 controllers are massive improvements in that department.

I was mostly a fan of the Wii U Pro controller, so I'm really looking forward to using the Switch Pro controller. But granted, the Wii U Pro controller was mostly just a narrower GamePad with no screen and no gyro, if you think about it. Everything else was virtually the same, right down to the bizarre placement of the right stick.

I wish Microsoft would revise the Elite controller with the improvements in the Xbox One S controller. I would totally buy one if it was slightly cheaper also. For now though the Pro and Xbox One S controller are the best me.

I love the slight rubber feel on the handles, more controllers should have that

I wish Microsoft would revise the Elite controller with the improvements in the Xbox One S controller. I would totally buy one if it was slightly cheaper also. For now though the Pro and Xbox One S controller are the best me.

Maybe for the Scorpio

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
except the AB and XY buttons are reversed.
Son..... we need to have a talk
A good gaming headset with a quality amp is better than any sound system imo.
No. A good surround setup is way more expansive and open sounding than even the best headsets. And to get surround on a headset in the first place you need to be downmixed to Dolby or DTS further compressing the audio. The only thing I'll grant you is its relatively cheaper to get a REALLY pro-quality sounding headset than it is to get pro-quality surround.

It sort of reminds me a bit of the mechanical keyboard situation.. I been Pc gaming since mod 80s, built machines since the 90s, been in basically all the MMOs that came our way and have always been In the upper echelon of characters for the most part, Pc gaming is my main platform... Ill spend 700 to 1000 on gpus, but I still have really no interest in mechanical keyboard or the need to move Keys around etc... I've done everything on Pc with basic keyboards. It's sort of like the elite controller, all those fancy options I don't see myself using. The xbox one S controller I've used on Pc just fine and it works, there's nothing more I could need from a controller at this point.. It's all about comfort In my hand when using it.

So you have to expensive peripherals that just don't feel worth it to me when I look at what I can do. It's not like Im gaming and I'm hindered.

Now its not to say I won't eventually try to find even a used one around 80 or 90 just to see what the hoopla is, but there's nothing that is drawing me to it.. It as I said reminds me of the way people go on about mechanical keyboards, I personally just don't feel that must own feel.

You really owe it to yourself to invest in a reasonably priced mechanical keyboard. Like, going from the joycons to a Pro Controller or Xbox One controller to the Elite Controller is not even close to the jump from any non-mech desktop keyboard to a mechanical keyboard.

The d-pad is average at best (Xbox One controller, Vita, 3DS, and both Nintendo Pro controllers have better), the buttons are fine but not stellar, the build quality is absolute shit, the lightbar is dumb, the trackpad is pointless, it doesn't have replaceable batteries, and it's not as ergonomic as the Xbox One controller or either Pro controller. More comfortable than a DS3 for sure, but that's not saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom