• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

haimon

Switch not launching with Netflix: What do I need another device for Netflix? This is a non-issue!

If Switch had launched with Netflix: Oh cool I used my 3DS and Wii U for netflix all the time good to see I can replace them!

This is, potentially, a perception issue. Of course people have a hundred devices to watch Netflix on, but those kinds of things add value to a consumer's perception. Switch being so bare bones in so many ways at launch leads to the perception that it's going to be lacking in content, both media and gaming.

What do you mean perception? 3 games in the first 45 days is an incredible amount.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Steering wheels and tires are an industry standard and not even remotely optional to achieve a car's rudimentary and essential functionality. Despite what the companies who own them would have you think, access to streaming services are not "essential".

Let's see what consumers say... in the end the attractiveness of the console beyond the core loyalists and/or early adopters (which Nintendo decided to capitalise/maximise its profits on, fair enough for the very short term, less so for medium to long term) is decided by multiple factors... a tablet / hybrid console with no built in extra functionality (whether robust messaging, mini games, browser, media apps, etc...) for $300 may be seen as an non optimal value.

The current line of marketing seems to be "pay the price of a tablet, do tablet like stuff on the phone you should already own you rich consumer" more or less... I think the expectations for this hybrid was to do what you could do with the old Wii U GamePad and more and do it outside like a true portable. I do not see why I need to make excuses for such a big business with enormous resources.

sirap

I know people will balk at this but they should have made this tablet form factor device have most of the same features as your average iPad/Android tablet. I mean... why not?!

Would have been incredible if they'd designed this to run Android apps on the side. Do an Amazon kind of thing and skin it their own Nintendo way and make a Nintendo app store, but fundamentally make it easy for companies to port their tablet apps to the Switch (only allowed through Nintendo). Companies could easily port their Android games to the system without needing to become console developers... the amount of games and apps would be incredible and you'd have the AAA gaming content coming along with that, and in built controls which propels the experience far beyond gaming on an iPad. Nintendo take a generous cut of all app sales, $$$!

Then you could also have a system that has easy access to Netflix, Spotify etc. It would take it from being a niche expensive gaming device to something the masses could look at as a legitimate tablet alternative. As it stands a hell of a lot of people plonk their kids down with a tablet with simple kid friendly touch games, or stick on a kid's show on Netflix, or educational apps, and the kids can be engaged for hours. A parent looking at the Switch for that feature list will be left sorely disappointed.

In an ideal world yeah going Android makes sense. Unfortunately, we live in times where Android devices get jailbroken before they even reach consumer hands :p

While it isn't something that impacts my buying decision because I have plenty of other devices for this it is still disappointing. Switch would have been great for Netflix.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Come on. Those things are absolutely essential to the operation of an average car (excluding prototype driverless cars that maybe don't have steering wheels?).

A lot of new cars these days have built-in satellite navigation systems. Do they all need it?

... because thinking a $300 tablet like device should perform tablet like functions? A web browser (NetFront is still out there to help ;)) and some web apps built by the streaming service providers is like an overpriced satellite system provided by the car manufacturer? C'mon :p.

DavidDesu

When I saw the tablet (nay, Switch) had an inbuilt kick stand the first thought that sprung to my head was "GREAT FOR WATCHING NETFLIX", rather than gaming implications. It's a tablet sized device, it has a screen and you can prop it up without a stand.. Netflix should be there day one. If it takes them months or even longer to get all that stuff on the device then it's just silly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I know people will balk at this but they should have made this tablet form factor device have most of the same features as your average iPad/Android tablet. I mean... why not?!

Would have been incredible if they'd designed this to run Android apps on the side. Do an Amazon kind of thing and skin it their own Nintendo way and make a Nintendo app store, but fundamentally make it easy for companies to port their tablet apps to the Switch (only allowed through Nintendo). Companies could easily port their Android games to the system without needing to become console developers... the amount of games and apps would be incredible and you'd have the AAA gaming content coming along with that, and in built controls which propels the experience far beyond gaming on an iPad. Nintendo take a generous cut of all app sales, $$$!

Then you could also have a system that has easy access to Netflix, Spotify etc. It would take it from being a niche expensive gaming device to something the masses could look at as a legitimate tablet alternative. As it stands a hell of a lot of people plonk their kids down with a tablet with simple kid friendly touch games, or stick on a kid's show on Netflix, or educational apps, and the kids can be engaged for hours. A parent looking at the Switch for that feature list will be left sorely disappointed.

Ultimately this is why both embedding an always on modern web browser like PS4 did or have a hypervosor and separate General OS and Game OS setup like Xbox One are genius moves...

When I saw the tablet (nay, Switch) had an inbuilt kick stand the first thought that sprung to my head was "GREAT FOR WATCHING NETFLIX", rather than gaming implications. It's a tablet sized device, it has a screen and you can prop it up without a stand.. Netflix should be there day one. If it takes them months or even longer to get all that stuff on the device then it's just silly.
Very silly. No idea what's going on here. Isn't Wii one of the most used Netflix devices, the original Wii?

KHlover

Banned
Pretty bold move in the US, but what concerns me more right now is that a webbrowser is still nowhere to be seen. I can live without dedicated apps for a while as long as the webbrowser is good.

Steering wheels and tires are an industry standard and not even remotely optional to achieve a car's rudimentary and essential functionality. Despite what the companies who own them would have you think, access to streaming services are not "essential".
Says who?

Nintendo is making to opposite flaw in logic Microsoft originally made with the XB1. Microsoft thought that they could market media apps as a bonus to the system, while Nintendo is trying to portray them as unnecessary. The reality is that they have become a minimal requirement for these types of devices that only gets noticed by their absence.

To not have these features diminishes the perceived valued of the device for the very reason many people are trying to say they aren't needed. Consumers wonder, if every other media device from a $50 Amazon Fire tablet to a $70 Roku streaming media player to a $299 PS4 can have these apps, what's wrong with the Switch that it can't pull it off. When you add in the fact fact that the Switch h is going $299, that omission really sticks out.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
... because thinking a $300 tablet like device should perform tablet like functions? A web browser (NetFront is still out there to help ;)) and some web apps built by the streaming service providers is like an overpriced satellite system provided by the car manufacturer? C'mon :p.

The point is that a steering wheel is essential to the operation of a car, as I said. Sat-Nav isn't.

Games are essential on a games console. A Netflix app isn't.

oti

Banned
In my opinion this and supporting the 3ds show two things: lack of foresight and hesitancy to go all in on a new console/portable.

When they've done similar things in the past with the DS (lack of perceived and actual commitment of resources) and the wii/Wii u (lack of functionality that people want), it's resulted in a lot of waiting for things to turn around at best. At worst it leads to the Wii u, which was very poorly supported and updated.

All I'm saying is Netflix, while not in and of itself a huge deal, is indicative of lessons not learned from the past, and lack of focused resources don't exactly have me brimming with confidence that Nintendo will move at a less than glacial pace to do something as simple as bring Netflix to their device.

Not supporting the 3DS would be moronic. And look at what kind of games it gets. A Fire Emblem Remake, a collection of a bunch of Mario sports games, a 2D Pikmin game and surely some other smaller games. 3DS obviously isn't Nintendo's priority. It gets a new Monster Hunter of course, but that's because Capcom is not stupid. They know they can squeeze out another game with their old engine and assets. That's what companies do. The 3DS is in its Cash Cow phase.

And I agree about Netflix. I have no idea why they wouldn't include it on Day One. I'm sure it will be there eventually. Why isn't it there on launch? I don't know. Just another Nintendo oversight I guess. It's pretty obvious what kind of people Nintendo expect to buy Switch at launch. People who own 10 other devices with Netflix on them. That doesn't make the lack of Netflix any less baffling, mind you.

With time, costs will drop, prices will drop, more kid games will be on Switch, bundles will release and there will be media Apps. At least that's my guess. Nintendo has shown time and time again they are incompetent when it comes to UI and general functionality outside of games. This to me reads like Nintendo trying to nail down overall video game experience first, the rest is secondary.

Remember how awful the Wii U was at first? There needed to be a Day One patch for any sort of online functionality and the OS was so slow that they needed to update the entire thing, it was even part of a Nintendo Direct. That's insane. I'd bet they want to avoid this at any cost for launch.

Doesn't matter if it's not planned. If it sells well, it will get them eventually. And it's success does not depend on initially having this stuff.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Seems an odd omission. While it's true that other devices will do video, the Swtich has a reasonable size screen and a kick stand.

This would have been a nice upsell - if I'm leaving the house and deciding which 'portable' I take with me, it forces a choice between the iPad with all the movie and media stuff and the Nintendo with all the gaming stuff. If the Swtich had both, there'd be little contest really.

I don't think it's deal breaker, but for a portable device it seems like one hell of a missed opportunity.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It will be interesting to see the reactions after launch.

I think a lot of people will not even acknowledge that there's no browser and no non-gaming apps on Switch. When they will take it home and discover that the reactions might not be very pleasant. Think about it, you can't even pop-up a YouTube video on it.

Angel_DvA

what's amazing is that in every Nintendo Switch thread, you can read something like; "it's not an issue for me", "I'm not concerned by it", "It'll be ok"...

Damage control is strong with Nintendo fans...

On topic, it's really disappointing that Nintendo seems to have rush everything for the Switch, I think they should have delayed it for Holidays 2017 with a full presentation at E3 and should have used "leaks" to get the temperature of their dumbest decision like online behind paywall, online features on phone app, price of console + accessories etc.. and they could have launch with a better launch lineup.

paulc316

Banned
Would the switch version be as good as the tablet/phone apps where Netflix allows you to download content to take offline?

LordKano

what's amazing is that in every Nintendo Switch thread, you can read something like; "it's not an issue for me", "I'm not concerned by it", "It'll be ok"...

On topic, it's really disappointing that Nintendo seems to have rush everything for the Switch, I think they should have delayed it for Holidays 2017 with a full presentation at E3 and should have used "leaks" to get the temperature of their dumbest decision like online behind paywall, online features on phone app, price of console + accessories etc.. and they could have launch with a better launch lineup.

Lmao, so I should absolutely care and express how the Switch is DOA even though I don't give a fuck about all these videos apps I never used ?

Some of you went really crazy will all these news.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It will be interesting to see the reactions after launch.

I think a lot of people will not even acknowledge that there's no browser and no non-gaming apps on Switch. When they will take it home and discover that the reactions might not be very pleasant. Think about it, you can't even pop-up a YouTube video on it.

is it confirmed that there will be no browser?

Couldnt care more really.

I already have six units in my home that i can watch netflix and other streaming apps on.

iPad
iPhone
Wii U
PS3
WD TV
PS4
And all those can play games already so there's really no need for a Nintendo Switch, right?
Who needs consumer choice and added value and feature-complete consoles? We already have standalone appliances and apps that can do everything anyway. Fuck smartphones as well while we're at it, dumb phones can call and computers can browse the internet.

Don't you see how silly it is when you need to defend missing features that are present even on older Nintendo consoles? This is bad regression.

thanks
that would be VERy disappointing for me.
Not that interested in other App (based on my behaviours) but man if I sused A LOT the Wii U one with the Gamepad

I'm under the impression the internet browser will be an app like it is on the PS4 which would explain the lack of an icon on the UI. An internet browser renders most apps meaningless anyway.

Nesther

For me personally that's a non-issue. I already have enough devices where I can use these services. Others may disagree though.

Edit: There's a very similar topic about this already, but it's only about Netflix.

Same. I can totally see how that could bother others, and I hope they add these apps soon for these people. But for me personally it wouldn't make a difference if they never add these video apps.

Lmao, so I should absolutely care and express how the Switch is DOA even though I don't give a fuck about all these videos apps I never used ?

Some of you went really crazy will all these news.
Yes you should care since we are talking about general market analysis, not your personal preferences. There is a huge difference between what you like, and what the public likes.

Honestly, good.

I don't want or need yet another web browser, Netflix or Spotify app that I'll never use and I definitely don't care about "sharing" my gameplay experiences with the world on YouTube. I curse the day they started building our game consoles based around all that crap and I wish I could somehow delete it all from my PS4 and Xbone.

Something like Miiverse is as much as I need, a forum where people can talk about gaming. Sounds good right?

But on the whole, I really do just want to play great games on well made, reliable hardware.

Why? you can just not use it, it's not hard to avoid and then it exists for people that do want to use it.

Do you know how many hours of games I have played on my PS4 recently? 1.

The rest of the time has been spent watching stuff on video apps/media server or listening to music.

It's a much harder to sell people something now that just does 1 thing. With the anemic release and schedule of games other apps could have plugged the gap but there is no chance someone like me is buying a device to play a few hours of games on and nothing else.

LordKano

Yes you should care since we are talking about general market analysis, not your personal preferences. There is a huge difference between what you like, and what the public likes.

And I'm only expressing my opinion and I totally can do that. I don't care about the "general market analysis", I just came to express my opinion regarding this news. Like a ton of people here.

Fbh

I don't think it's damage control. It's perfectly realistic that for some people the only important aspect of the console is that it allows them to play Nintendo games.

The thing is, people that only care about playing their games is not the audience that Nintendo should be aiming for. Because that's the audience that also got a WiiU...And it's not very big

And that's where stuff like a decent web browser, videostreaming apps, built in voice chat and free online come in

Dinskugga

And all those can play games already so there's really no need for a Nintendo Switch, right?
Who needs consumer choice and added value and feature-complete consoles? We already have standalone appliances and apps that can do everything anyway. Fuck smartphones as well while we're at it, dumb phones can call and computers can browse the internet.

Don't you see how silly it is when you need to defend missing features that are present even on older Nintendo consoles? This is bad regression.

I do not defend this in anyway. i can say that i have never even used netflix on any of my gamming plattforms.

Im just saying that i have enough of units that can use video apps. And because of that i dont care if the switch launches with this or not. Because i dont have any use of it.

oti

Banned
Same. I can totally see how that could bother others, and I hope they add these apps soon for these people. But for me personally it wouldn't make a difference if they never add these video apps.

I think people also overestimate the importance of that app on Switch. I see a bunch of people bringing up Netflix on Wii and how their grandparents or parents use it all the time but that's an odd comparison to me. Times have changed. You can get media apps on TV and on a tablet for 50€ nowadays. Nintendo also doesn't cater to the "grandma likes Wii bowling" market at all with Switch, at least not for launch. It's a launch centered around the enthusiasts. That doesn't make the lack of such a basic app any less baffling, but more tolerable. To that group of people.

Conan-san

If Netflix and/or Crunchyroll was your deciding factor in buying a games console then you might have your priorities up your bum somewhat.

sneas78

Banned
Well I own a vita .. YouTube and Netflix got taken away.. so I'm used to the pain. It's better to not have it at all in the first place then to have it and get taken away from you..

Ninja Dom

Well I own a vita .. YouTube and Netflix got taken away.. so I'm used to the pain. It's better to not have it at all in the first place then to have it and get taken away from you..

Yup.

Ex-Vita owner here. And I had the 3G unit with an active sim on. Great for YouTube, right? Nope, got taken away.

I can't remember if we got Netflix on it in the UK though. But as you said, taken away.

I think people also overestimate the importance of that app on Switch. I see a bunch of people bringing up Netflix on Wii and how their grandparents or parents use it all the time but that's an odd comparison to me. Times have changed. You can get media apps on TV and on a tablet for 50€ nowadays. Nintendo also doesn't cater to the "grandma likes Wii bowling" market at all with Switch, at least not for launch. It's a launch centered around the enthusiasts. That doesn't make the lack of such a basic app any less baffling, but more tolerable. To that group of people.
So let me get this straight. To get the expected functionality out of the Switch as a mobile device, you have to buy and carry around both the Switch and a separate tablet device. How in the world does that even begin to make sense?

Imagine this from a parent's perspective. They can buy their kid an inexpensive tablet that has the Netflix movies they love and some cheap games that are perfectly acceptable, or the can buy the expensive Switch which can't even show Netflix. Which one do you think they'll choose?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Why? you can just not use it, it's not hard to avoid and then it exists for people that do want to use it.

Do you know how many hours of games I have played on my PS4 recently? 1.

The rest of the time has been spent watching stuff on video apps/media server or listening to music...

For the sake of discussion let me ask you a question; if options for everybody is such a great thing, why can't some of us have the option of one dedicated game console without all the browsing, streaming and sharing apps and stuff? As you say, it's not hard for people to ignore it if it doesn't suit their needs, and then it exists for the people who do want it.

PSFan

Nintendo saying 'being considered' just tells me that it's not happening. I just have a feeling Nintendo isn't going to put a browser or these apps on the Switch.

Their thinking will be that, at home you have other devices for those things and on the go, you'll have your phone for the multiplayer online app anyway so you can use that.

Top Bottom