• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

zelas

Smh, alright then. Just giving a kid in the backseat a tablet is sounding more and more worthwhile than giving them a Switch.

Maybe Chris Kohler was right. Maybe Nintendo has given up on trying to win mass market support and is instead opting to just heavily monetize Nintendo diehards (whales) with extreme upselling.

Nintendo's making it kinda hard to justify purchasing a Switch to replace any of your existing gaming devices. Both in front of the TV, and on the road, I don't think it's a wise business choice to tell your customers "but you already have a device for that so we're not gonna bother."

Smh, alright then. Just giving a kid in the backseat a tablet is sounding more and more worthwhile than giving them a Switch.

Maybe Chris Kohler was right. Maybe Nintendo has given up on trying to win mass market support and is instead opting to just heavily monetize Nintendo diehards (whales) with extreme upselling.

Link? I was saying this about amiibo and the VC years ago, but it didn't think it would extend to their new console releases.

pastrami

I've felt that way ever since Amiibos.

Anyways, taken alone, this isn't an issue for me. In conjunction with everything else, I'm not exactly filled with confidence in Nintendo.

Falchion

Sounds like they didn't put enough effort into it then. You've got to have a basic browser, YouTube, and Netflix app.

SerTapTap

It's not individually a big deal but it's part of a greater image problem and a long list of easy to see ticks in the "cons" column.

PS4 got dogged for months/a year or so for fairly expected features it was lacking at launch. Obviously it did well anyway, but it still harms the conversation and...I mean I don't expect Switch to do as well as PS4 by default either.

Nintendo needs to show they're serious. Making sure shit like this is handled before launch or at least as soon as possible is a big part of that.

What's this about a browser? Surely it has a browser, right?

rawd

Well I own a vita .. YouTube and Netflix got taken away.. so I'm used to the pain. It's better to not have it at all in the first place then to have it and get taken away from you..

You can watch Youtube from the Vita web browser

klier

i understand why people think this is a problem, but i legitimately have netflix on like 15 things in my house.

Everyone has. This is a complete non issue.

And going a step further, I think it's great to see the Switch as a gaming machine without the Facebook/Netflix/etc nonsense.

EloKa

i understand why people think this is a problem, but i legitimately have netflix on like 15 things in my house.

ofc you can carry a tablet with you to watch netflix on the go. On the other hand you could also use a tablet to play games on the go.

It would have been an advantage if you could do everything on the go with one device especially if this device is getting marketed for its mobility. The Switch severely lacks key features to justify its design. Netflix / Amazon Prime and so on would have been easy features.

cackhyena

Yeah, I have an iPad and a phone. I find the idea of even considering using Netflix on my Switch laughable. Zero reason when the other screens are superior...and way better battery life.

azyless

Everyone has. This is a complete non issue.

And going a step further, I think it's great to see the Switch as a gaming machine without the Facebook/Netflix/etc nonsense.
No everyone hasn't. You should step out of GAF for a minute. Even better, look at other countries than the US.

diaspora

Yeah, I have an iPad and a phone. I find the idea of even considering using Netflix on my Switch laughable. Zero reason when the other screens are superior...and way better battery life.
Is it? Switch gets 2.5-6 hours of game time which is way better than a tablet or phone, no reason Netflix wouldn't last longer too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

So you will carry the iPad AND the phone AND the Switch with you every time?

PSFan

ofc you can carry a tablet with you to watch netflix on the go. On the other hand you could also use a tablet to play games on the go.

It would have been an advantage if you could do everything on the go with one device especially if this device is getting marketed for its mobility. The Switch severely lacks key features to justify its design. Netflix / Amazon Prime and so on would have been easy features.

But if you're planning to play multiplayer on the go with the Switch, you're going to be carrying another device anyway. So it's kind of impossible for the Switch to be an everything on the go device.

EloKa

But if you're planning to play multiplayer on the go with the Switch, you're going to be carrying another device anyway. So it's kind of impossible for the Switch to be an everything on the go device.

lacking one feature doesn't excuse lacking another feature. Switch should have tried to become the "everything on the go device" but right it seems that most reasonings go into "but I have already this and that device to this and that job". Right now the Switch might be the most replaceable device which is a bad thing.

brawly

At the very least offer a Switch+iPhone bundle.

And a Switch/Phone/Tablet case or backpack, since you'll be carrying all that around with you.

cackhyena

So you will carry the iPad AND the phone AND the Switch with you every time?
Only place I'm taking the Switch is on trips. iPad and phone would be coming along. Zero need for anything other than gaming on Switch for me, ever. And that's fine.

I agree in this day and age, not having those multimedia apps is goofy. Just not a concern for me.

cackhyena

So very clearly not ready for March.
I said this elsewhere. It's painfully obvious this console wasn't ready for March. This should have been a Fall release with more games to just blow away people with. But...I get Zelda soon, so I'll take it.

No everyone hasn't. You should step out of GAF for a minute. Even better, look at other countries than the US.

Netflix doesn't exist in a bubble just in side gaf. It is has 90 million users. I think it be naive to think that people would come across Netflix for the first time using a switch.

Having said that, they should still have it, and i still think they will come xmas period.

In the Switch launch video Nintendo went out of their way to try and show cool, young adults on the go using the system, whether it be on a plane, going to a party etc. Now we find out in real world application that if they are getting ready to leave the house they have to choose between a device that consumes one type of media (the Switch) and another that consumes multiple (a tablet). Begging the question which are they going to choose? My question to Nintendo is why even make them choose? We are living in a world of convergence. Maybe you want to play 1 2 Switch, but once you're done you'd like to Netflix and chill. This should be part of the allure system. The idea that everything you carry around your ipad mini for the Switch can do including play games. There are just no words for how disappointed I am right now. Maybe someone will jailbreak the fuck out of this thing sooner than later and make it the system it was meant to be.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's your problem right there. It's not a tablet or tablet like decice. It's a videogame console that you can take on the go. Nothing more as of now.

Ahhh... because the field is full of game consoles that do not have support for any kind of multimedia features... For all intents and purposes it has the expectations people normally have with $300 tablets you can hook to the TV. You are playing with semantics ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I think this is quite clear now... IMHO.

For the people saying that you have Netflix on 15 other devices or whatever, well good for you, I do too, therefore this functionality isn't needed for me. But I'm aware enough to know that not everyone's situation is like mine and I never understood why having more options isn't a good thing. I may not personally use it, but I'm not in everyone else's situation. Step outside of yourself for a moment and see that not everyone has the same things you do. It's dumb for a console in 2017 to not have any video streaming apps.

KageMaru

Don't Hulu, YouTube, and Netflix develop their own apps? The designs looks pretty much the same across platforms. If so, how much effort would be required on their end?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I never understood why having more options isn't a good thing...

So I ask again, why can't we have the option of one dedicated gaming device without Netflix, etc...?

It may be a moot point if they eventually add in all these extras, but why can't Nintendo (or anyone) make a gaming device for playing games and nothing else and let it live or die based on the quality of the games?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I think this is quite clear now... IMHO.

It was always clear though. The value proposition for anything in this space isn't gonna touch what Amazon is currently doing. Nobody has that kind of pull in this market segment or is willing to go to these margins that isn't some no name Chinese thing.

You can get multiple different models of the Kindle Fire for 100 or under.

I think it's kinda stupid Nintendo won't have these apps at launch, but I also think it's stupid to value prop the Switch based on this.

This isn't even counting Kindle Free Time.

cackhyena

For the people saying that you have Netflix on 15 other devices or whatever, well good for you, I do too, therefore this functionality isn't needed for me. But I'm aware enough to know that not everyone's situation is like mine and I never understood why having more options isn't a good thing. I may not personally use it, but I'm not in everyone else's situation. Step outside of yourself for a moment and see that not everyone has the same things you do. It's dumb for a console in 2017 to not have any video streaming apps.
This is now Trump's America. We don't have to step outside of ourselves for four to eight years.

theWB27

So I ask again, why can't we have the option of one dedicated gaming device without Netflix, etc...?

It may be a moot point if they eventually add in all these extras, but why can't Nintendo (or anyone) make a gaming device for playing games and nothing else and let it live or die based on the quality of the games?

Your question is not what the poster speaks of. A dedicated gaming device is not some fancy hook. It's not a bonus.

Having less reasons to use your device is a negative.

Convergence. Consumers expect more from the electronic devices on which they consume their media. Cellphones aren't just telephones anymore. The demographic that Nintendo at least seems to be marketing to in their promo videos thus far most certainly expect their electronics to serve multiple purposes.

Because we live in a world where tablets are a thing, and people will compare it to those when making purchasing decisions.

All those kids who have tablets and watch video, use the internet, and play angry birds and minecraft on it. Those are potential Nintendo converts to full game experiences with Switch. But mommy and daddy aren't buying them a second device that doesn't do the things their current tablet already does. And I say this not only as a gamer but as a parent myself.

MisterR

Bringing up one mistake to defend another mistake. I don't know if that's a good defense of Nintendo thinking.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Because we live in a world where tablets are a thing, and people will compare it to those when making purchasing decisions.

All those kids who have tablets and watch video, use the internet, and play angry birds and minecraft on it. Those are potential Nintendo converts to full game experiences with Switch. But mommy and daddy aren't buying them a second device that doesn't do the things their current tablet already does. And I say this not only as a gamer but as a parent myself.

They aren't gonna buy them a Switch even if they have these services though unless they are a kid who really wants to play Nintendo games.

I think it's dumb in general to not have these services.

I just don't get the welp parents won't buy the Switch for their kids now. Nobody was gonna live or die on the streaming services for their kids when other cheap options already exist that better service this use case.

It's all hand me down iPads or Amazon's cheap entry level Kindles.

It HAS to eventually be released. This will give many more reasons to own a Switch. I already have mine pre ordered but having apps on a mobile/handheld is a no brainer. The 3DS even has apps so no way they are going to downgrade it to the Switch, but we are talking about Nintendo here.

azyless

Netflix doesn't exist in a bubble just in side gaf. It is has 90 million users. I think it be naive to think that people would come across Netflix for the first time using a switch.

Having said that, they should still have it, and i still think they will come xmas period.
I'm not saying no one has netflix. I'm saying no one has "literally 15 devices" with it. Most people I know with Netflix use it on their laptop and that's it. Most people (even more so outside of the US) don't have a Smart TV, a chromecast, 2 different consoles and an Ipad Pro.

Ultima_5 demonstrating the ease of using Netflix with Switch on the go...
502ab03685482.preview-300.jpg

They aren't gonna buy them a Switch even if they have these services though unless they are a kid who really wants to play Nintendo games.

I think it's dumb in general to not have these services.

I just don't get the welp parents won't buy the Switch for their kids now. Nobody was gonna live or die on the streaming services for their kids when other cheap options already exist that better service this use case.

It's all hand me down iPads or Amazon's cheap entry level Kindles.

A 300 dollar tablet like device that does literally nothing but play nintendo games is going to be a terrible value proposition compared to the other tablets is my point.

Sure a lot of kids have hand me down ipads and cheap kindles. But if they ask for a 300 dollar Switch for Christmas (which to the average parent just looks like another tablet), and they find out it doesn't do 80% of the things the 80 dollar kindle fire does, it will be a hard sell. I think Nintendo overestimates the draw their IP still has with younger kids.

I just would like to be able to undock the handheld and watch some Netflix while my wife watches TV beside of me, or have it sitting in front of me while I'm grinding in WoW.

Stanng243

One of my good friends loves Nintendo, but only has a flip phone. My brother uses his wii to watch netflix. This is a real issue to some people.

That's all on you man. Being disappointed that Nintendo doesn't have features that launched on Wii is one thing (Netflix, Web Browser, etc.), but Nintendo never promised that they were making an Android tablet. Because that's what you actually want.

My question is, why is Nintendo restricting anything? They need all the support they can get, considering how poor thier 3rd party support is.

After thier attitude seemed to change last gen with regards to letting basically any indie develop for the WiiU, I assumed the move to essentially mobile tech, and having a tablet like design, would signify then basically opening the floodgates to mobile devs for games and apps.

They should be welcoming any support they can get. Perhaps rhis is why rhier launch lineup is so meager?

Top Bottom