• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

Not even hooked up?

I mean, I understand some people have tons of devices to play these video apps, but sometimes you just want something for the convenience. Let's say you're playing a Switch game and you're then in the mood for a show or movie. Now you have to switch to/turn on a separate device to do so, when you could've easily opened an app on the console. If you're playing on the XB1, just switch between games and apps on the console. Using a PS4/Pro? Do the same. Using a Switch? Use something else. That's not convenient but cumbersome.

Switch has an entirely unintended meaning. Switch to another device for anything outside of the core gaming experience.

...that needs a separate phone for voice chat and match making.
Voice chat was interfering with talking to people playing games with you. So they instead invented this air vibration technology where you talk and are heard by people within a 20 foot radius that also has a Nintendo switch

WaterAstro

Given that you need a phone to use the Switch's basic online functionality, of course they don't care. They'll make you buy a phone with it. lol

Switch has an entirely unintended meaning. Switch to another device for anything outside of the core gaming experience.
For more gaming and multimedia options, let's SWITCH to this smartphone.
switch-3.gif

psyfi

Banned
On one hand, the focus on 100% pure gaming is really appealing. On the other hand, this is really archaic and inconvenient.

Air

Banned

Sony is also a multimedia company and has a vested interest in keeping people on their consoles watching movies. Nintendo never cared about that stuff or was reluctant/slow to add those features. Not justifying it, but expressing that the companies have different philosophies regarding that.

Netflix not being there tells me Nintendo is focused on making a great console experience in the way they know how. Once everything is off the floor they can build.

RK128

This translates too "We rushed the system for launch and we were only able to get the Operating System to run games effectively. Even then we didn't finish that due to you needing a special app for online features."

Not really upset, just baffled they didn't wait until at least May to launch the system. By that point, you could of not only had a larger launch line up but more OS features fleshed out.

At least we know media support is coming soon and when it does, the Switch will be a more valuable product.

notaskwid

This translates too "We rushed the system for launch and we were only able to get the Operating System to run games effectively. Even then we didn't finish that due to you needing a special app for online features."

Not really upset, just baffled they didn't wait until at least May to launch the system. By that point, you could of not only had a larger launch line up but more OS features fleshed out.

At least we know media support is coming soon and when it does, the Switch will be a more valuable product.

As to why its being rushed out of the door, end of fiscal year.

Maximus P

I'm cancelling.

I mentioned in another thread that I had a switch on pre order for my daughters 9th birthday. She was really looking forward to having a device she could game on that she could take with her on her travels. There aren't enough launch titles for her, and I can see her getting bored of the device easily. Now there's no media capabilities at all? She can't even watch YouTube on the thing?

We talked earlier, we're now looking towards a ps4 for her bedroom, I'll make sure to fill her in on why I think the switch is a bad investment at the moment, we'll maybe look again at x-mas when the console starts to find its feet.

kobu

Sony is also a multimedia company and has a vested interest in keeping people on their consoles watching movies. Nintendo never cared about that stuff or was reluctant/slow to add those features. Not justifying it, but expressing that the companies have different philosophies regarding that.

Netflix not being there tells me Nintendo is focused on making a great console experience in the way they know how. Once everything is off the floor they can build

Well Netflix not being there tells me Nintendo is launching this console prematurely

LordKasual

Banned
This is asinine. It's a giant game pad that looks like a tablet and is designed to be enjoyed on the go, except it can't play videos?

So you need a phone to do matchmaking/voice chat, a tablet to watch multimedia, and if you decide to use it for gaming, you can only play for 2-2.5 hours.

...just up the price by $50 and release something that isn't trying to be mediocre. This product is baffling to me.

This is just like when i got excited for the Wii U, and then Nintendo slowly revealed that it doesn't play DVDs and it only supports 1 gamepad.

Malice215

I like that they're focused on gaming, but not having Netflix is just another unnecessary knock that they don't need when they need to sell people on the Switch.

jax

Banned
As someone who recently dropped hulu and netflix for directtv now: who cares

I don't find value in those streaming sites anymore. Once you've seen what they've got, they're worthless.

besides, the Switch will get it eventually. this is a non-issue.

Koh

I'm actually ok with this because the switch relies on Wi-Fi. I have devices I'd use before the switch for video apps.

I could totally see this being a downer for those who want a 1 stop shop though.

Loudninja

I don't find value in those streaming sites anymore. Once you've seen what they've got, they're worthless.

This makes no sense because they are updated each month with new content.

You really are working hard.

I'm sure none of the many subscribers to any of those services, Twitch users, or Youtube users care about using those services. Hell, they probably don't even LIKE those services, the rubes.

Yea, because your brother is likely hurting for devices that access youtube and twitch.

You're being facetious but yeah, the Wii U among other devices are widely used for those as well as Netflix. I'm confused as to why less functionality and less effort is being celebrated here. Do-it-all, jack-of-all-trades devices are the norm for such a premium device.

Nintendo Switch: You Can Use That Stuff on Your Phone™

dead2.gif

Seriously though, I agree it's really sounding like a rush job where it's going to be a pretty bare bones OS in time for launch.
Hopefully it does come later because it's crazy if this thing won't get Netflix/Amazon, Youtube, and Twitch for watching game/gaming-related streams.

Maybe part of the fall update.

jdmonmou

Netflix not being there tells me Nintendo is focused on making a great console experience in the way they know how. Once everything is off the floor they can build.

Nintendo taking the game developer approach to releasing a console... Release a console before it's ready and patch in the features later. We give game devs and publishers shit for this all the time, so why not Nintendo?

Netflix was available day 1 for the Wii U, so we can't give the Switch a pass on this.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Actually, this is a good thing because it's ok to offer less features with a higher price than your competitors when nintendo does it

finalflame

Good for you...

It would be nice to take a poll of how many people complaining in this thread have at least 1 mobile and 1 home device connected to their TV that already has streaming services. I don't think I'm a special butterfly for having other devices that stream Netflix in 2017. Unless most people were just waiting for the Switch to finally start watching streaming TV.

Papacheeks

Banned
Not even You tube? Is that confirmed?

If that's true they done fucked up since sharing moments was part of their presentation. And also since they should want youtubers playing their games.

WTF???

This thing is just not ready. NIntendo is not ready, but reggie's body is I hope.

Kintaco

"being considered" doesn't make me very hopeful. With something as common as video apps on consoles, "being considered" is not what I'd expect to hear. Have to accept that Switch is going to be a strict gaming machine.

It would be nice to take a poll of how many people complaining in this thread have at least 1 mobile and 1 home device connected to their TV that already has streaming services. I don't think I'm a special butterfly for having other devices that stream Netflix in 2017. Unless most people were just waiting for the Switch to finally start watching streaming TV.
Because that's what's being argued here.

Next time I need a strawman I'll come to you.

Yeah since you watched everything and is done with Netflix everyone is....

Seriously wtf....

LordKasual

Banned
If that's true they done fucked up since sharing moments was part of their presentation. And also since they should want youtubers playing their games.

If Nintendo has proven anything, it's that they probably don't want youtubers playing their games...

At least, not playing them and then showing them on youtube -_-

I think it is strange that they won't have this at launch, but it isn't a big deal for me. I rarely use Netflix on anything other than the built in player on my 4K TV, or my iPad when I'm traveling. I never use it on any of my gaming devices, but still an odd omission for those who want to.

Perhaps because the launch was earlier than expected, Netflix doesn't have the app ready yet? Nintendo wouldn't make the app.

WTF???

This thing is just not ready. NIntendo is not ready, but reggie's body is I hope.

Nintendo only said screenshot sharing was going to be available at launch, with video coming at a later date. No clue if they're working to get YouTube set up for that, or if they're trying to make their own platform to share video.

Papacheeks

Banned
If Nintendo has proven anything, it's that they probably don't want youtubers playing their games...

At least, not playing them and then showing them on youtube -_-

Yea, but it's just weird that they use youtube for their presentation's,directs and also talked about sharing screenshots and video?

You would think they would see the benefit. But Nintendo going to Nintendo i guess.

Actually, this is a good thing because it's ok to offer less features with a higher price than your competitors when nintendo does it

Haven't you heard? It's actually a good thing that the Switch doesn't have (insert missing feature here). You didn't even really need it anyway!

You should be thanking Nintendo!

I think most people have other devices that play games too, and for me so far, I'll stick to those instead of this thing.

Flui111

Banned
Basically paying $300 for a glorified game console. Which person in their right mind would do that tbh. Let's forget that we're games hobbyists, which person would walk into a store, see a switch, which cannot currently do anything else but play games, for $300 and then see a Ps4 or XB1, which can be used as multimedia powerhouses, for cheaper and go ahead and buy a switch

Maximus P

I find it strange that a company that found a great deal of success on marketing one of its former consoles to the more casual user such as young children and the elderly have now seemingly decided to market this thing towards people that have smart phones, media tablets and smart TVs.

vern

No. That leak was from vern, a GAF user.

😏 Thanks for the attribution.

Def don't remember Laura , Emily or anyone else besides me leaking this stuff. Totally should have signed up for twitter and patreon so people would have paid attention lol

And just like in the last thread where I mentioned it, whether you agree with the decision or not, it has nothing to do with the system being rushed. I've been telling gaf this was happening for months, this was a very deliberate plan by Nintendo from the get-go.

VanWinkle

Doesn't Netflix themselves develop the app? I mean, how much effort on Nintendo's part could that have taken?

deoee

Despite having x devices already capable of playing video, I'd rather not have to turn on and off other devices just to watch a quick Youtube video, a stream or Netflix.

You'd need to have a PS4/Xbone controller lying next to you all the time JUST IN CASE you don't want to play but watch.

I don't really think the argument of "well this would have my umpteenth device to have Netflix" is a convincing one.

If you want the Switch to become a mainstay in peoples' daily lives, it would seem like one of the best ways to do that would ensure it has enough uses that people are willing to incorporate it in their routines inside and outside the house. There were times when the PS4 felt like there was a drought of games to interest me, but it was always a mainstay in my life because of all the multimedia capabilities. Maybe I'm alone in valuing consoles that can do that, but I don't think I am.
Yeah since you watched everything and is done with Netflix everyone is....

Seriously wtf....
What else do you expect him to do to spend the time between writing shill posts for Nintendo.

Top Bottom