• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch will launch with no video apps, being considered for future

That's the funny thing, people arguing with each other over their own preferences. What a waste of time.

You either don't mind or you do, no amount of arguing over these Switch topics is going to change anyone's mind.
Individual preferences aside, it's an objective fact that this console is launching relatively feature-barren.

As someone who recently dropped hulu and netflix for directtv now: who cares

I don't find value in those streaming sites anymore. Once you've seen what they've got, they're worthless.

besides, the Switch will get it eventually. this is a non-issue.
I would like to say that it has been hilarious watching defending nintendo's shitty decision without being embarrassed about what you are posting at all. Life of a fanboy.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Individual preferences aside, it's an objective fact that this console is launching relatively feature-barren.

I think the PS4 still gets criticized today for not being as good of a media machine the PS3 was.

It might be on par now after OS updates but I remember the threads, posts about it when the PS4 launched.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Can't remember the last time I bothered to use YouTube, Netflix or Hulu on my 3DS. As long as the switch plays some damn fine games, that's all that matters.

Air

Banned
Nintendo taking the game developer approach to releasing a console... Release a console before it's ready and patch in the features later. We give game devs and publishers shit for this all the time, so why not Nintendo?

Netflix was available day 1 for the Wii U, so we can't give the Switch a pass on this.

I think there's a difference between releasing a games console whose main purpose is playing games versus a media system that's supposed to be the hub of your house. I mean you can complain, but I think what they're doing is at the very least in line with what they want the switch to be.

Well Netflix not being there tells me Nintendo is launching this console prematurely

Ok.

Doesn't Netflix themselves develop the app? I mean, how much effort on Nintendo's part could that have taken?

IDK how that stuff is developed. I'd imagine Netflix would develop it, but maybe Nintendo just hasn't sent them dev kits. Or maybe Nintendo wanted to focus on the important features first and than add secondary stuff later.

krazen

This is being rushed and that should concern everyone.

Yup.
Is it because of the financial quarter? I remember the initial estimates were late march...its looking that a couple of months would have served it well ar least as far as initial release games are concerned.

Who is this thing for, then? The average consumer expects and uses all of these missing features. You know, people who bought those things you listed.

This device seems to be targeted to people who want to play Nintendo games and do absolutely nothing else. That's a damn small market.

I'm sure the vast majority of the average consumer owns many devices on which they can run apps such as Netflix etc, people who currently have subscriptions are already accessing content just fine. Having video streaming services would be a bonus for the switch, but a large number of people already own devices which are more than capable.

I use my consoles to primarily play video games. We have android boxes in our household for anything else, and iPad and mobile phones in addition to two laptops. The Switch not offering video streaming has 0 bearing on me, personally. I'm sure the majority of GAF with subscriptions also own multiples of the listed devices.

Issues regarding using an App to voice chat and set up parties are legitimate points of contention when it comes to the Nintendo Switch. However seeing threads complaining about missing charging docks (the xone came with batteries, the ps4 with a 30 cm charging cable which made it impossible to play with whilst charging), missing a optical out port alongside this are quite tedious to see.

Again I repeat, there are currently major issues with the switch - all of which (imho) surround the online offerings.

Personally, I only ever purchase xbox live gold when my brother or myself are in the mood for halo. I purchased ps+ for TF2 and BF1 yet the majority of my online play the past few months has been overwatch on PC and will continue to be so. I'm curious to see if nintendo offers a (I should hope) cheap alternative to it's competitors however I will not be purchasing a membership for reasons well documented on GAF.

- As you've stated the average consumer purchased the devices I listed for video streaming services, so I don't see why a games console releasing without would deter them.

MisterR

Fine work from the Nintendo fans this week. They've hopped nimbly from thread to thread defending every boneheaded decision with true gusto. Impressive.

Who is this thing for, then? The average consumer expects and uses all of these missing features. You know, people who bought those things you listed.

This device seems to be targeted to people who want to play Nintendo games and do absolutely nothing else. That's a damn small market.

This. It's as if Nintendo hasn't learned anything.

theWB27

Why are Nintendo fans so afraid of holding them to present time standards? It's so weird to see them so nonchalant about not having things people find useful.

How can I write this.....they've made a platform that actively pushes you to use devices other than the Switch.

While the others are making machines in a way that you can spend as much time as possible on their platform...Nintendo is quite ok with you NOT using their system. It's absolutely mind boggling.

Air

Banned
Fine work from the Nintendo fans this week. They've hopped nimbly from thread to thread defending every boneheaded decision with true gusto. Impressive.

There's a lot of dumb decisions Nintendo made with the switch. This isn't really one of them. This could easily be remedied before summer

jroc74

The thing I think some ppl are not realizing...and some ppl already touched on this....

if Nintendo wants you to pick up a Switch, take it with you they need to have it at least be on par or close to it with features your smartphone and /or tablet has.

Anytime you have to go to your phone or tablet for something thats not possible on the Switch thats one more time you are pulled away from it.

I started watching Netflix more on my Vita than my phone just because of the bigger screen.

krazen

I think there's a difference between releasing a games console whose main purpose is playing games versus a media system that's supposed to be the hub of your house. I mean you can complain, but I think what they're doing is at the very least in line with what they want the switch to be.

Thats the thing; its not a huge deal but like you said if its "what they want it to be" skipping over apps that have become expected for the past decade (and are pretty popular outside of gaf apparently, lol)means either they are totally bucking trends of successful consoles including their own out of nowhere, or just plain dont have it ready..either of which gives me pause.

The thing I think some ppl are not realizing...and some ppl already touched on this....

if Nintendo wants you to pick up a Switch, take it with you they need to have it at least be on par or close to it with features your smartphone and /or tablet has.

Anytime you have to go to your phone or tablet for something thats not possible on the Switch thats one more time you are pulled away from it.

I started watching Netflix more on my Vita than my phone just because of the bigger screen.

Exactly. Not only is Nintendo competing with Xbox and Playstation but they're also competing with every portable device like smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc... that can also play games on the go.

HardRojo

I wasn't around for the Wii U launch. Did people whinge this much about the lack of DVD playback?

Is isn't exclusive to Nintendo. People whined hard (for good reason) about the PS4's inferior media capabilities at launch when compared to the PS3.

My bad, did they whine about that incessantly too?
People complained sure.

And the excuse then was "Well we're certainly past the point where not having DVD/Blu-Ray playback is a big issue. Netflix/Streaming is the big modern thing, duh!"

Yet here we with the Switch launch and oh how the battlelines have changed.

Nintendo is probably trying to avoid exploits. Poorly supported games and video apps really hurt the 3DS.
Aye, everything they've said so far regarding online has felt like them trying to cover their asses from hackers. I think having a secure platform is more important for them, and they can delegate all the vulnerable functionality to smartphones.

Provided that they really are basing their decisions on system security, I'm okay with it.

jroc74

Kind of sad that Nintendo finally gets a good portable screen and there's no streaming video.

Yup. It may be coming but damn. I just posted about how I started watching it more on my Vita just because of the screen. Something else I did was play games that were available on mobile on my Vita when I could. Plants vs Zombies was played a hell of alot more on my Vita than my phone.

Why are Nintendo fans so afraid of holding them to present time standards? It's so weird to see them so nonchalant about not having things people find useful.

How can I write this.....they've made a platform that actively pushes you to use devices other than the Switch.

While the others are making machines in a way that you can spend as much time as possible on their platform...Nintendo is quite ok with you NOT using their system. It's absolutely mind boggling

Exactly.

I wasn't around for the Wii U launch. Did people whinge this much about the lack of DVD playback?

Not sure but I assume ppl just brushed it off as already having a DVD player so its no big deal. Even in that sense like somebody said before....not having to go to a separate device is a plus. I kept the 360 or PS3 in the kids room. I had no need to put a stand alone dvd or blu ray player in there. I mostly kept the PS3 in there for the convenience of dvd and blu ray.

People complained sure.

And the excuse then was "Well we're certainly past the point where not having DVD/Blu-Ray playback is a big issue. Netflix/Streaming is the big modern thing, duh!"

Yet here we with the Switch launch and oh how the battlelines have changed.

You aint lying about that. Dem goalposts huh....

It seems more than a little absurd having to watch a video on your phone when you're actively toting around a device with a much bigger screen.

Air

Banned
Thats the thing; its not a huge deal but like you said if its "what they want it to be" skipping over apps that have become expected for the past decade (and are pretty popular outside of gaf apparently, lol)means either they are totally bucking trends of successful consoles including their own out of nowhere, or just plain dont have it ready..either of which gives me pause.

I get the concern, and I think it really all comes down to Nintendo wanting to deliver a certain experience. I mean, you're right, Netflix and other apps have been standard in consoles for 10 years or something. That said, I don't think the lack of the app will hurt them, at least at launch. The way I see it, they know that the first wave of people who buy are going to be enthusiasts, and they have multiple devices already. So why get Netflix in now, when it can come later when less hardcore gamers begin to have access? Not saying they're right in doing this, but I can see a business reason for it (save resources or focus). Nintendo has cited research about the use of multiple devices in people's homes before, so instead of competing with someone's ipad over the features, they probably want to stay out of it for now.

There's not much we can do but wait and see though.

I'll be the first to admit some of Nintendo's decisions are indefensibly backwards. If they choose to never implement Netflix support, that would be an example of such a decision.

On the flipside, some people here are all too eager to shitpost on the console before all of its aspects are even revealed. Just cause it doesn't fit their narrow definition of what a gaming console should be.

Thing is, we saw in video today what this crowd is like: Unironically shit on the Switch for being "kiddie" while simultaneously showing lack of ability to handle their alcohol.

Totally tonedeaf to the irony.

Seloth

Banned
Ill be happy just to get a dedicated pure gaming machine. I was hoping that's what my PS4 would do but then they started branching out into releasing exclusive TV content like Microsoft.

It'll come eventually. I won't use it much though. I watch Netflix on my Fire sticks. It's more convenient and it'll turn off with my TV's sleep timer.

HardRojo

Ill be happy just to get a dedicated pure gaming machine. I was hoping that's what my PS4 would do but then they started branching out into releasing exclusive TV content like Microsoft.

Which is a problem... why? You can choose to ignore all that stuff. I'm not understanding why having more options within the same system is bad, heck I use my PS4 for Twitch, YT and Netflix while I'm checking documents or doing other stuff in my laptop.
Edit: In this day and age a home console (the Switch is still one) that does gaming only can't even dream of dominating the market.

I have a smartphone. I don't need video apps or a web browser. I want a stable OS and more games. I can wait for Netflix etc til later on.

theWB27

I'll be the first to admit some of Nintendo's decisions are indefensibly backwards. If they choose to never implement Netflix support, that would be an example of such a decision.

On the flipside, some people here are all too eager to shitpost on the console before all of its aspects are even revealed. Just cause it doesn't fit their narrow definition of what a gaming console should be.

Thing is, we saw in video today what this crowd is like: Unironically shit on the Switch for being "kiddie" while simultaneously showing lack of ability to handle their alcohol.

Totally tonedeaf to the irony.

I think it's even more crazy for people not to expect judgement on the information they choose to trickle out. It's such a weird thing...consoles evolve...so when do people comment on what the system can do?

I'm sure the One would've been judged a little differently if they'd announced BC at launch...but they didn't. They were judged on what they revealed.

Nintendo is not immune to this.

I have a smartphone. I don't need video apps or a web browser. I want a stable OS and more games. I can wait for Netflix etc til later on.

My PS4 and One both have a stable OS with video apps and web browser with ...even when you talk potential...has more games than what they Switch will have.

flkraven

What does that even mean. It's not like Nintendo themselves would develop the Netflix or YouTube app. It just means they were either unprepared so they didn't get the support, or video app makers thought it wouldn't be worth their time.

Top Bottom