• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tampa cracking down on black people on bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop and frisk meets the sunshine state

In the past three years, Tampa police have written 2,504 bike tickets — more than Jacksonville, Miami, St. Petersburg and Orlando combined.

Police say they are gung ho about bike safety and focused on stopping a plague of bike thefts.

But here's something they don't mention about the people they ticket:

Eight out of 10 are black.

A Tampa Bay Times investigation has found that Tampa police are targeting poor, black neighborhoods with obscure subsections of a Florida statute that outlaws things most people have tried on a bike, like riding with no light or carrying a friend on the handlebars.

Officers use these minor violations as an excuse to stop, question and search almost anyone on wheels. The department doesn't just condone these stops, it encourages them, pushing officers who patrol high-crime neighborhoods to do as many as possible.

There was the 56-year-old man who rode his bike through a stop sign while pulling a lawnmower. Police handcuffed him while verifying he had, indeed, borrowed the mower from a friend.

There was the 54-year-old man whose bike was confiscated because he couldn't produce a receipt to prove it was his.

One woman was walking her bike home after cooking for an elderly neighbor. She said she was balancing a plate of fish and grits in one hand when an officer flagged her down and issued her a $51 ticket for not having a light. With late fees, it has since ballooned to $90. She doesn't have the money to pay.

The Times analyzed more than 10,000 bicycle tickets Tampa police issued in the past dozen years. The newspaper found that even though blacks make up about a quarter of the city's population, they received 79 percent of the bike tickets.

Some riders have been stopped more than a dozen times through the years, and issued as many as 17 tickets. Some have been ticketed three times in one day.

It's possible blacks in some areas use bicycles more than whites. But that's not what's driving the disparity.

Police are targeting certain high-crime neighborhoods and nitpicking cyclists as a way to curb crime. They hope they will catch someone with a stolen bike or with drugs or that they will scare thieves away.

"This is not a coincidence," said Police Chief Jane Castor. "Many individuals receiving bike citations are involved in criminal activity."

She said her department has done such a good job curbing auto theft that bikes have "become the most common mode of transportation for criminals."

Many of the tickets did go to convicted criminals, including some people interviewed for this story. And there are cases where police stopped someone under suspicious circumstances and found a gun or caught a burglar.

But most bike stops that led to a ticket turned up no illegal activity; only 20 percent of adults ticketed last year were arrested.

When police did arrest someone, it was almost always for a small amount of drugs or a misdemeanor like trespassing.

One man went to jail for refusing to sign a ticket.

On Davis Islands, where Mayor Bob Buckhorn lives near baseball star Derek Jeter, police could issue multiple tickets. But they don't. One recent night, the Times observed a couple leaving an ice cream shop on unlit beach cruisers and a cyclist riding along the dark coastline, visible only because of the reflectors on his pedals.

Only one ticket was written last year on Davis Islands. It went to a black man.

The same goes for Bayshore Boulevard, another of the city's main biking destinations. Only one person got a ticket there last year. He, too, is black.

"Each neighborhood has a unique set of issues," Castor said. "What is a problem in one area of the city may not be in another. We have an obligation to address the individual issues that plague each neighborhood."

In another file, a supervisor told a new officer he should learn rarely used traffic statutes. The fact that he wasn't familiar with them was noted as a "significant weakness" in his 2012 performance review. The next year, the new officer impressed his bosses with his "dramatic increase" in "self-initiated activity."

He wrote 111 bike tickets, the most in the department. All but four of the cyclists were black.

Last year, Tampa police wrote at least four tickets for something no longer illegal: riding a bike without holding the handlebars.

Then there was Alphonso Lee King, ordered to remove a bag of food and a lock from his bicycle so an officer could confiscate it "due to the fact the bicycle is worth over $500," the officer wrote, "and King was not able to produce any type of documentation that he bought the bike legally."

King said he and his brother, a scrapper, found the bike frame in a Dumpster and assembled it from parts. The bike was the only way he could get around after getting out of prison last summer for dealing drugs.

Tampa police impounded it for 90 days, advertising it as "found" property, even though it had not been reported stolen.

In Tampa Heights, police stopped 63-year-old Lloyd Brown for not having lights on his bike — except he did, and they almost immediately acknowledged that. "Well, I'm glad to see you're in compliance today, sir," an officer said as a dashboard camera recorded.

But the 2013 encounter didn't end there. The officer kept Brown's identification and questioned him about what he'd bought at the grocery store.

The interrogation escalated to whether he used drugs, and a search revealed a small amount of crack.

"Let me explain something to you, okay?" the officer said. "If you do anything dumb, your head will hit this ground very hard, okay? And you will go to the hospital before you go to jail."

The felony charge, pleaded down to a misdemeanor, impeded Brown's ability to get an apartment, forcing him to move in with relatives

Children as young as 11 have been ticketed and reported to collection agencies, the Times found.

Even though 2013 was one of the department's highest ticketing years, bike crashes still rose the following year by 20 percent. Bike thefts, too, climbed 15 percent.

"We continue to believe that our enforcement practices have reduced crime in Tampa," Castor said.

Much more, including map

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...rouble-with-the-cops---if-youre-black/2225966

Dont read the comments.

Dereck

It's just a bike. Not a big deal.
image.php

Easy_D

never left the stone age
There was the 54-year-old man whose bike was confiscated because he couldn't produce a receipt to prove it was his.

For shame. It sure is fun harassing poor people and stealing their modes of transport.

horsebird

Banned
Institutional racism in full display, but people will still tell you racism doesn't exist and black people are just lazy whiners.

It's even more fucked up once you realize that these bikes are many of these people's main transportation to their jobs, schools, errands and social needs.

FStop7

Banned
That whole area... Tampa, Clearwater, St. Pete... there is an active disdain for, if not a muted hatred of, pedestrians and cyclists. The sidewalks just... end. Crossing signals are broken and even if they do work motorists ignore them. I got dirty looks from and followed by a cop and I'm as lily white as it gets. The fact they'd target black cyclists doesn't surprise me the slightest bit.

"Each neighborhood has a unique set of issues," Castor said. "What is a problem in one area of the city may not be in another. We have an obligation to address the individual issues that plague each neighborhood."

Translation: Separate but equal policing allows us to swell our coffers without disturbing the day to day lives of the establishment.

I can only imagine the riots if they tried this sort of strategy over here in Cambridge/Harvard Square/Somerville.

Institutional racism in full display, but people will still tell you racism doesn't exist and black people are just lazy whiners.

Or that the racism is incidental to classism despite the only instances of bikers being targeted in the wealthy neighborhoods being black people as well.

Typically I would agree with this sentiment, but then I saw that one commenter complaining about how most boat owners that are ticketed are white.

hqCB25U.gif

Thatsgoodthatsdamngood.gif

TarNaru33

Banned
It's just a bike. Not a big deal.

Was he banned for this? hmm, I may be naive, but I didn't comprehend it the way many of you seem to be.

EDIT: to clarify, I thought his comment was intended for the police officers that were giving the tickets the way they were. I don't know, I think it would of been best to let him clarify, though he probably would just be lying lol.

Was he banned for this? hmm, I may be naive, but I didn't comprehend it the way many of you seem to be.

EDIT: to clarify, I thought his comment was intended for the police officers that were giving the tickets the way they were. I don't know, I think it would of been best to let him clarify, though he probably would just be lying lol.

It's thread-shitting. If you don't want to get banned in a thread where people are discussing an issue, don't drive-by "so what?" post.

smurfx

get some go again
too many people complaining about police pulling over black drivers so lets instead pull over black bicycle riders who have less money to pay tickets. kinda funny how police just can't figure out why people in poor neighborhoods don't trust them.

It's usually productive to go through a banned user's last month of posts to see if this was a single infraction or a pattern of being part of the problem in threads that go badly. If all you can say to a long story about broken windows policing in florida yet again being the agent of repression against minorities is 'no big deal' you are asking to derail the thread, be it for people who interpret it as 'haha minorities making a big deal over some bikes' or 'haha cops making a big deal over some bikes.'

TarNaru33

Banned
His comment seems to be based off the title, and not the article, which is a bannable offense.

How did you comprehend the post and article?

I rarely see people get banned for that, so didn't realize I guess.

As far as his post, I thought he was jabbing at the police, but maybe not.

Basically a really messed up situation. That many tickets (I didn't know cops even give tickets to bike riders exception of not having flickers, safety gear, and obvious traffic violations) for bike riders is insane to me. Maybe because I no longer live in a huge city, I can't imagine getting a ticket for bicycling. Here, we aren't going to be pulled over for such things.

The method of trying to "clean the streets" (probably funding too) by playing lottery should be illegal really. They admit they are doing it in hopes to catch the 20% "bad guys", despite 80% (as far as past offenses) being innocent is really ridiculous. Since they are focusing on high crime areas, its unfortunate that black people and probably Hispanics will receive a hefty hit, as impoverished areas are usually higher on crime. Basically, it is racial profiling, to be expected.

EDIT:

It's thread-shitting. If you don't want to get banned in a thread where people are discussing an issue, don't drive-by "so what?" post.

It's usually productive to go through a banned user's last month of posts to see if this was a single infraction or a pattern of being part of the problem in threads that go badly. If all you can say to a long story about broken windows policing in florida yet again being the agent of repression against minorities is 'no big deal' you are asking to derail the thread, be it for people who interpret it as 'haha minorities making a big deal over some bikes' or 'haha cops making a big deal over some bikes.'

I guess I was being hopeful on his post. Thanks for the clarification. I shall keep note of this.

Seriously?

Fucking seriously?

Who the fuck keeps the receipt for something like a bike on them at all times? What if he bought it five years ago? What then?

Are they fucking serious? Jesus Christ...

Apt101

The comments in the article are infuriating. I don't know if those people didn't read the article and just leapt directly to commenting, or the overwhelming statistics cited were lost on them due to how racist they are.

Seriously?

Fucking seriously?

Who the fuck keeps the receipt for something like a bike on them at all times? What if he bought it five years ago? What then?

Are they fucking serious? Jesus Christ...

It's because the bike was valued at $500 or greater. They impounded it and issued a "found" notice, even though it wasn't reported stolen. So the cop was implying that the man must have stolen it, since he's black and a black man couldn't afford such a bike. I.E. racist cop.

I've been to Tampa, it is an unfriendly pedestrian city. It's one of those towns built around the car. Crossing the street is a death sentence

It doesn't surprise me that Tampa would be anti bike and anti black guy on a bike

I love the beach but I'm never going back to a city that hates pedestrians, fuck i'm on vacation can I give the car a vacation too please?

bionic77

The comments in the article are infuriating. I don't know if those people didn't read the article and just leapt directly to commenting, or the overwhelming statistics cited were lost on them due to how racist they are.

It's because the bike was valued at $500 or greater. They impounded it and issued a "found" notice, even though it wasn't reported stolen. So the cop was implying that the man must have stolen it, since he's black and a black man couldn't afford such a bike. I.E. racist cop.
A lot of people are so racist that they are always in favor of whatever fucks over black people.

They are pretty active for comments on the internet but I don't know how many are out there in the real world.

Volimar

The fact that the chief actually defends this is insane. "If you stop enough darkies eventually you'll find a criminal." - this police chief, probably.

deadlast

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT..... Who has a receipt for a bike they ride around? This is madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom