• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tango Gameworks staff spend last day at studio before closure

20240614-32454-header.jpeg

At the beginning of May, Microsoft announced that it would close Tango Gameworks- sending shockwaves through the gaming industry. Today, the Japanese studio behind acclaimed titles including Ghostwire: Tokyo and Hi-Fi Rush closes its doors for the final time. Tango Gameworks’ employee Takeo Kido took to X to document the studio’s final day and confirmed that ZeniMax Asia K.K. is also closing.

Kido worked on the visual effects in The Evil Within and Hi-Fi Rush. His series of photo posts on X give a glimpse into Tango Gameworks office in Tamachi, Tokyo. It seems that employees ordered in pizzas on their last day.

Post translation: Today is the last day of work. Today the studio will finally close.

Post Translation: (Top): Reception- this 808 plushie is not in good shape. (Bottom): The Bandai Namco Future Research Center is very close by. Construction on the building started around the time we moved to Tamachi.

The shock of the seemingly successful studio’s closure reverberated through the video game industry, with fans, industry professionals and even other studios sending messages of support and condolences. For example, New Blood Interactive’s billboard in Los Angeles paid tribute to recently closed studios including Tango Gameworks in the hours before Summer Game Fest kicked off last week. We previously reported on how Tango Gameworks devs were expressing regret at the studio’s closure while encouraging more people to play Hi-Fi Rush. It seems like the team really poured all their passion and creativity into what would be Tango Gamework’s last ever award-winning game.

Tango Gameworks was part of Microsoft-owned ZeniMax Asia K. K. and was located inside their office. The whole of ZeniMax Asia K.K, which published games under the Bethesda Softworks brand, has been shut down.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What makes this more frustrating is how Microsoft didn’t help build this studio at all but simply killed it off.

It was founded by Mikami just 14 years ago and then bought by Bethesda, only for them to be acquired by Microsoft. Tango Gamework’s fate was thus sealed.

I really hate when those big corporations mess with smaller studios only to cause them to shut down in the end.

Last edited:

Interfectum

“Make the game of your dreams, don’t worry about making it commercially viable.” - Phil Spencer in 2019

"I have to run a sustainable business" and make "decisions that somebody needs to go make" - Phil Spencer in 2024

How can anyone take this clown seriously at this point?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Call me cynical or anything but there are millions of people and firms losing their jobs and closing down every day, month and year without this self congratulatory pityparty on twitter.
Wrong. We literally had people recording themselves getting laid off.

How long before Double Fine closes too?

Hopefully they are recording because I’d love to see how things play out. I loved Psychonauts 1 & 2 and I’m hoping Tim and his Team are cooking, but Microsoft might not care for the smaller studios after acquiring the ABK behemoth.

Also, I wonder if Sony has any interest in grabbing the remains of Tango Gameworks and launching a new studio.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
How long before Double Fine closes too?

Hopefully they are recording because I’d love to see how things play out. I loved Psychonauts 1 & 2 and I’m hoping Tim and his Team are cooking, but Microsoft might not care for the smaller studios after acquiring the ABK behemoth.

Also, I wonder if Sony has any interest in grabbing the remains of Tango Gameworks and launching a new studio.

It would fit very well under PS Studios label. They should invest in the whole place over there so that they can stick together.

RaZoR No1

“Make the game of your dreams, don’t worry about making it commercially viable.” - Phil Spencer in 2019

"I have to run a sustainable business" and make "decisions that somebody needs to go make" - Phil Spencer in 2024

How can anyone take this clown seriously at this point?
Dreams do not pay the rent ...
Edit: Just to make sure: I do not support the closure of Tango.
MS got finally a studio in Asia/Japan and the first thing they do is the close the studio.. I would understand a to relocate them elsewhere in Japan etc. but not a full shut down

Last edited:

A.Romero

Never forget the positive spin of the latest Showcase with all the multiplatform games. It doesn't matter that the studio closed. Just remember, all those great games they are making coming to PlayStation 5 and switch is a reason why tango had to go
Care to elaborate?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t know how much money MS saved by closing down this studio, but there’s no way it can be more than the amount of damage it’ll continue to do to their overall brand. What a stupid, stupid decision.

StueyDuck

But did they take solace In the fact that call of duty no longer has a week early beta on PS now.

The ends justifies the means - uncle Phil 🤣

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t know how much money MS saved by closing down this studio, but there’s no way it can be more than the amount of damage it’ll continue to do to their overall brand. What a stupid, stupid decision.
feels like people have already moved on, because ms made a showcase for games coming out in 18-24 months.

Microsoft is not interested in a small studio making AA/Indie games.
I think they did the right thing here. The people making those types of games should either find jobs with studios that do that or open their own indie studio.
If McDonald’s bought out your favorite local pizza joint. Would you want the to make the current pizza chefs start making burgers and fries? Or would you prefer they just shut down the pizza place and turn it into a McDonald’s, and let the pizza chefs there go and make pizza elsewhere?

Top Bottom