• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tea |OT| Oh, tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosiahB

Just received an order from Maiko Tea. I got:

Gyokuro Higashiyama + Sencha Kyo no Tsuyu + Karigane Ikkyu no Sato
Maccha Matsu no Midori (40g tin, x2)
Konbu (Kelp) tea
Maccha "Uji no Sato" (40g bag)
Konacha "Gyokuro ko" (This is leftovers from processing Gyokuro or Sencha. Served at Sushi restaurants. Heard it had a strong flavor, and it was cheap, so I figured I'd try it.)
Kisen Chasen Unge

I've tried both Matcha, the Konacha, and the Konbu Cha. I must say, for the sale price, the Matsu no Midori Matcha is great. The only other similarly priced Matcha I've tried is O-Cha's Matcha "Kiri no Mori", but I like the Matsu no Midori more (on sale, it's also a decent bit cheaper than O-Cha's per gram, and comes in an absolutely beautiful reusable tin).

The Uji no Sato I mainly got because I wanted a cheap Matcha that I can add to cold water for some instant green tea at work (just add a few grams to a bottle of water and shake, tastes great).

As for the Konbu Tea... Well, I kind of knew what it would taste like before I got it (salty, more like soup stock that tea), but I was still caught pretty off-guard when I took the first sip. It reminded me of sea water, maybe somewhat less salty. I... Think I could get used to it; I have with other tea. When I first tried it, I couldn't stand tea without sugar, even Sencha. I will say, it would make some great soup (and I've read that it's commonly used in cooking, so I'll probably try that).

I should also say that the packaging for everything was awesome; so beautiful, boxes, tins, wrapping paper, everything. I'll try to get some pictures up sometime.

JosiahB

Shincha tea up for preorder on O-Cha. I got the Chiran & Yukata Midori. Use coupon code shincha4fb coupon code for 10% off.

http://www.o-cha.com/shincha/

I plan to get the same, plus the "Aoi" Shincha (I actually prefer Asamushi, but both of the ones they offer are so expensive, I have to settle for just one). By the way, I haven't ordered Shincha from O-Cha before; will I be charged when I place the order, or when it ships?

I plan to get the same, plus the "Aoi" Shincha (I actually prefer Asamushi, but both of the ones they offer are so expensive, I have to settle for just one). By the way, I haven't ordered Shincha from O-Cha before; will I be charged when I place the order, or when it ships?

It looks like the money has been taken out of my Paypal account already. Oh well.

JosiahB

It looks like the money has been taken out of my Paypal account already. Oh well.

Well, I went ahead and ordered anyway (still think it's stupid that they charge right away). Went with the Yutaka Midori, the Chiran, and the Kirameki (instead of the "Aoi").

thcsquad

Calling all Morningbuses and Quebecois:

In the OT you mention montreal being a great place for tea snobbery. I'm about to get on a plane to montreal. Where are your must-visit tea shops there?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Calling all Morningbuses and Quebecois:

In the OT you mention montreal being a great place for tea snobbery. I'm about to get on a plane to montreal. Where are your must-visit tea shops there?
Enjoy saying tisane without looking ridiculous!

I like Davids Teas (it's not quite as exotic anymore as they've expanded into the US, but I stand by my assessment that it is the Teavana concept done properly). There is a very, very similar chain located in the underground called Cesar's' which is worth checking out.

I think Camellia Sinensis tea house is also worth visiting as it is pretty legit.

Otherwise, enjoy being able to get decent tea at restaurants!

(Also go get some bagels at St. Viateurs and some bubble tea anywhere.)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
YiF3D.png

Guayaki Yerba Mate - Free Shipping on orders over $50.00 and an additional 20% off until Midnight tonight with coupon code: earthy.

Coincidentally, I was running low on my mate supply, so I decided to give Guayaki a shot as they offer a lot of different varieties. They're a bit more expensive than my usual Mate Factor and I got less of my standard yerba mate from them, so I imagine I'll be reordering from Mate Factor pretty soon, too.

Cse

Banned
Is tea from Japan safe to drink? I know the Fukushima incident made a few people apprehensive about ordering Japanese products.

I drink matcha, which involves consuming the entire tea leaf - as such, levels of radioactivity that would be deemed "acceptbale" for standard green tea would be ingested in higher amounts with matcha.

There is some matcha from Japan I want to try, but I'm not sure if its entirely safe yet.

thespot84

Is tea from Japan safe to drink? I know the Fukushima incident made a few people apprehensive about ordering Japanese products.

I drink matcha, which involves consuming the entire tea leaf - as such, levels of radioactivity that would be deemed "acceptbale" for standard green tea would be ingested in higher amounts with matcha.

There is some matcha from Japan I want to try, but I'm not sure if its entirely safe yet.

I'd put my money on it you'd get more radioactivity from a banana than you would from any japanese tea

thcsquad

Enjoy saying tisane without looking ridiculous!

I like Davids Teas (it's not quite as exotic anymore as they've expanded into the US, but I stand by my assessment that it is the Teavana concept done properly). There is a very, very similar chain located in the underground called Cesar's' which is worth checking out.

I think Camellia Sinensis tea house is also worth visiting as it is pretty legit.

Otherwise, enjoy being able to get decent tea at restaurants!

(Also go get some bagels at St. Viateurs and some bubble tea anywhere.)

Late update, but I ended up going to Camellia Sinensis and picking up some Nilgiri and Dong Shan. Great stuff, so far. Since it's a 'plant', I ended up declaring it in customs just to be safe; travelling abroad is new to me, so I decided to let the agent think I was a silly timewaster rather than leave anything to chance.

Besides the phenomenal bagels, St. Viateurs had a good tea selection. The whole package was good enough that it was the only establishment I patronized twice.

I never did say tisane, mostly because I never ordered one. Though it was cool seeing that word used on menus.

thcsquad

Allow me to gush about some new tea brands that I've been enjoying recently:

1. On my trip to Montreal (see above post) I visited a tea shop called Camellia Sinensis. Their tea is phenomenal, and they sell online as well:
http://camellia-sinensis.com/en/tea
Here are the specific ones that I bought, both reasonably priced:
http://camellia-sinensis.com/en/tea/green/dong-shan
http://camellia-sinensis.com/en/tea/black/nilgiri-coonoor

2. Kilogram Tea. I recently moved back to my hometown of Chicago, and there are a lot of Intelligentsia Coffees around here. What does this have to do with tea? Well, their tea by itself as actually very good. I was surprised by the quality the first time I was in one and ordered tea for the hell of it. They're in the process of spinning it off into Kilogram Tea, and you can order it online. You have to deal with a little bit of pretentiousness (tasting notes more prominent than the name of the tea?), but it's good stuff and some of it is actually reasonable priced. In fact, I've only had the reasonably priced stuff, and the pretensiousness means that they have the balls to use the word 'Tisane', which is rare for American cafes. Anyway, besides the online store stop by an Intelligentsia if you're in Chicago, NY, or LA, even if coffee doesn't interest you.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/products/tea

I am big fan Ginseng Oolong I usaully order from here

http://www.enjoyingtea.com/ginsengoolong.html

Anyone like this tea as well? Have a favorite?

Got hooked on it after my roommate brought back a tin of it from China. They stopped at a local tea shop and tried a lot of different teas. This was his favorite, sadly the tea shop doesn't have a site we could find but this tea I linked is as close as we have found to what he brought back.

Egnirys

One of my friends has that tea maker and she loves it. it makes enough tea for her and her husband to enjoy however, it was a wedding gift. She has said herself that she would have never purchased it herself because it's overpriced.

teepo

the Tea Masters Blog has finally launched a simple on-line store front which is a massive improvement from the previous system where you had to request for a price list via e-mail. the site is also celebrating its 10 year anniversary so you might receive free active bamboo charcoal along with a free postcard and tea sample with your order.

the best part is that Stephane Erler, the owner, writes detailed blog posts on all the different types of teas that he offers and often times he'll even take you on a tour of the farms which harvested and prepared the teas. in a sense, his selection is heavily curated around what he likes.

it's a little on the pricer side but if you're a fan of Taiwanese tea, especially high mountain oolongs, it doesn't get any more premieum than this. here's more information on the owner, blog and site that the TeaDB podcast put together

Necrovex

So I have finally gotten back into drinking tea. I have forgotten how fantastic tea can be. Going to stick to David's Tea for my delicious leaves. I am currently using an electric kettle and a normal teapot for all my brewing. It has been a smashing experience.

I have a question about the Butterfly Jasmine, why is it so pricy?

I also decided to invest in a French Press. I better not be disappointed. And god, I just spent $54 at David's Tea. My bank account is weeping.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just made my first tea from my just received ingenuiTEA.

Delicious

I ordered the imgenuiTEA itself, a black tea sampler, a yerba mate sampler, and a couple ounces of gunpowder.

Had some Earl Grey Bravo and it was goddamn great. Goodbye coffee, I have a new beverage.

mkenyon

Banned
As a coffee guy, I've never really checked out the thread. I just wanted to say that I've seen it a number of times, and the title is my absolute favorite on GAF.

Carry on.

So I have finally gotten back into drinking tea. I have forgotten how fantastic tea can be. Going to stick to David's Tea for my delicious leaves. I am currently using an electric kettle and a normal teapot for all my brewing. It has been a smashing experience.

I have a question about the Butterfly Jasmine, why is it so pricy?

I also decided to invest in a French Press. I better not be disappointed. And god, I just spent $54 at David's Tea. My bank account is weeping.
Each one is hand rolled into the specific shape. I prefer dragon pearls as it's cheaper and pretty much the same. Got 50grams for free with my David's reward card so I'm picking up some gyokuro from them this weekend. The best thing is whenever they have free tea promos, you can pick out their most expensive ones.

Also morningbus, I'm still enjoying the Bangkok tea you sent me :) it's probably become one of my favorite teas.

Ludovico

I've made it about a month without having coffee in the morning (inconvenient to make that early with a grinder, plus I can't afford to have my stomach turned that early), but have been drinking way too many soft drinks.

So I've decided to pull the mini-Bodum french press out of storage and start making loose leaf tea in the classroom. Currently using some Tazo black tea satchels, but I really want to branch out and see what's out there.

Any recommendations for a large starter/sampler pack, preferably offered through Amazon?

Currently looking at this.

I've made it about a month without having coffee in the morning (inconvenient to make that early with a grinder, plus I can't afford to have my stomach turned that early), but have been drinking way too many soft drinks.

So I've decided to pull the mini-Bodum french press out of storage and start making loose leaf tea in the classroom. Currently using some Tazo black tea satchels, but I really want to branch out and see what's out there.

Any recommendations for a large starter/sampler pack, preferably offered through Amazon?

Can't speak for the quality, but there is a lot of variety there...probably worth checking out. All of the variety packs I know of are limited to one type of tea.

Trust me, I love the convenience of Amazon more than anybody, but have you checked to see if there are any tea shops in your area? It's much better to be able to go to a place and smell around, plus you'll usually find much fresher and wider selections of quality.

Ludovico

Can't speak for the quality, but there is a lot of variety there...probably worth checking out. All of the variety packs I know of are limited to one type of tea.

Trust me, I love the convenience of Amazon more than anybody, but have you checked to see if there are any tea shops in your area? It's much better to be able to go to a place and smell around, plus you'll usually find much fresher and wider selections of quality.

Yeah, I'm positive there are plenty of good places where I live that I could buy. I just want to have a little background knowledge on the types and my preferences before I get taken advantage of by a salesperson :/.
Also, time is a big factor for me, but I might head out Saturday morning and look around.

About tea leaves - Is expiration a thing? My local coffee place sells roasted coffee and also sells tea, but they only date the coffee. Also, I heard you can re-steep certain types of tea, but how do I store it between servings (or is it just within the same day and not one to the next)?

English tea drinker living in Australia checking in, got excited seeing the OT, then saw this on the first page.

P1040322.jpg

What sort of heathen puts milk in after the tea? Milk first, then tea, never make it in the cup, always use a teapot, preferably heated whilst brewing.

Tea in Australia is pretty much shite, except it's easier to get good Chinese/Japanese blends than it is in the UK. My Mum sends me boxes of Yorkshire Tea from Yorkshire to keep me going, even the Yorkshire Tea sold over here is not great, it's some evil brew made in Dubai or something. But if you're after an every day cuppa then get online and seek out Yorkshire Tea, the best 'common' tea there is. Tried getting along with Barrys Tea which is Irish, because you can buy it here, but it's muck, plain and simple. Anyone in Australia know of a good local brand that's strong and tasty I'd appreciate the input!

Yeah, I'm positive there are plenty of good places where I live that I could buy. I just want to have a little background knowledge on the types and my preferences before I get taken advantage of by a salesperson :/.
Also, time is a big factor for me, but I might head out Saturday morning and look around.

About tea leaves - Is expiration a thing? My local coffee place sells roasted coffee and also sells tea, but they only date the coffee. Also, I heard you can re-steep certain types of tea, but how do I store it between servings (or is it just within the same day and not one to the next)?

I live in Oklahoma, the only tea shop that I'm aware of is a Teavana :(.

I've seen some best buy dates that usually last a couple of years, not sure if tea actually "goes bad" though. Re-steeping really depends on a few different factors, quality of the tea, steep times, and the amount of tea used. I usually re-steep immediately after I finish my first cup, so I don't really know what to tell you there.

About tea leaves - Is expiration a thing? My local coffee place sells roasted coffee and also sells tea, but they only date the coffee.

When storing tea, as long as you've got it in an air-tight container, away from sunlight and moisture, you can usually keep your teas for about 2 years without any noticeable loss of flavor.

Yes, it is. Tea is still a 'live' substance, so should be stored accordingly. It gets pretty complicated if you want to drink 'fresh' tea.

Green tea expires the quickest because it's the 'freshest'. Green tea should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry, place. Some people store it in the fridge.

Tea that has been oxidized (most black teas like oolong) or aged (old puerh) has a longer shelf life because of the oxidization process.

My guess is the coffee place does not date tea because most of the western world is not that picky about drinking old tea, which makes sense. A coffee shop is mostly knowledgeable about coffee, not tea.

As far as re-steeping tea, that is completely reasonable with tea leaves as long as you don't do too long of a steep. The first steep should NOT be over a minute. Usually the 2nd or 3rd steeping is the strongest steep, since the 1st steeping only really serves as warming and opening the leaves. As the steeps increase, the steep time should increase.

upandaway

I learned from experience that keeping tea in the closet, with the climate around here, makes the tea last maybe ~4-6 months before going bad... so I'm thinking about moving it to the fridge. Anything I should know about that in terms of containers or anything? Would the freezer work too?

It's been a while... so a combination of things (including finally seeing one in action, and the fact I still haven't tried any of the tea from the tea swap two years ago - probably undrinkable at this point D:) have convinced me that I need a French press. Have the recommendations changed since the last time this was brought up?

It's been a while... so a combination of things (including finally seeing one in action, and the fact I still haven't tried any of the tea from the tea swap two years ago - probably undrinkable at this point D:) have convinced me that I need a French press. Have the recommendations changed since the last time this was brought up?

Nope, I think Bodum presses are considered the best.

HiResDes

English tea drinker living in Australia checking in, got excited seeing the OT, then saw this on the first page.

P1040322.jpg

What sort of heathen puts milk in after the tea? Milk first, then tea, never make it in the cup, always use a teapot, preferably heated whilst brewing.

Tea in Australia is pretty much shite, except it's easier to get good Chinese/Japanese blends than it is in the UK. My Mum sends me boxes of Yorkshire Tea from Yorkshire to keep me going, even the Yorkshire Tea sold over here is not great, it's some evil brew made in Dubai or something. But if you're after an every day cuppa then get online and seek out Yorkshire Tea, the best 'common' tea there is. Tried getting along with Barrys Tea which is Irish, because you can buy it here, but it's muck, plain and simple. Anyone in Australia know of a good local brand that's strong and tasty I'd appreciate the input!

I froth mine so it always goes to the top anyway

HiResDes

I got some new teas in recently,that I've been loving, not pictured are the Thai Chai from TeaTable (avoid, it doesn't taste as good as their others whatsoever) and a Grapefruit Oolong (I can't find it for the life of me lol)
RCW4r8P.jpg

Today I made a Pu'erh Spice tea with a buttered rum froth and a little brown sugar, definitely can only add a little otherwise it gets a bit cloying.

TOYDIAY.jpg
CavdSMb.jpg

Mascot

This might be of use to someone here (UK only, I think?).

The Sage by Heston Blumenthal Tea Maker is half price on Amazon right now until 3pm today. £100 down from £200.

Link here.

I put it in after because I can taste the difference, and also I can regulate how milky it is better if you put it in afterwards - kind of particular about having strong tea but also quite milky. Most people make it weak as piss then only put a splash of milk in if you ask for it strong.

I got some new teas in recently,that I've been loving, not pictured are the Thai Chai from TeaTable (avoid, it doesn't taste as good as their others whatsoever) and a Grapefruit Oolong (I can't find it for the life of me lol)
RCW4r8P.jpg

Today I made a Pu'erh Spice tea with a buttered rum froth and a little brown sugar, definitely can only add a little otherwise it gets a bit cloying.

TOYDIAY.jpg
CavdSMb.jpg

That Pu'erh Tea looks tasty.

I recently tried a whole bunch of teas from Tea Palace, but I didn't really enjoy them as they were too watery. I also don't like drinking water when it's warm or hot. I've tried iced tea and wasn't overly struck with it.

Chai tea, however, made with milk, is very nice. Are there any others along those lines that I may also like given the above information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom